Sapporo Original Draft Beer | Sapporo Breweries Ltd.

poor
Read the review
Sapporo Original Draft BeerSapporo Original Draft Beer

Sapporo Breweries Ltd.
Japan
sapporobeer.jp

Style: Japanese Rice Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2001

Brilliant orangish yellow color with a bone-white head that resolves quickly while it takes on an appearance of stiff egg whites. Triumphant orange. Victory orange. I put it to my nose.

"At last," I think to myself, "A quality beer that I prefer cold!" My pipes feel even hotter in anticipation. The first sips are full of wonder. I absorb the brisk, culinary form before me. A translucent patch of fine bubbles forms a perfect equilateral triangle on the surface. Aromas are sweet like honey. Pure, bright Alpine flowers
and their nectar,
and the milk of the cows that graze on them,
and the sweet Emmenthaler made from it.
Fluffy, white, unsweetened meringue. Cereal-box marshmallows. That's the appeal. Now, on to the structure:
A. Stalky, celery bitterness.
B. Driving Champagne-like fizz.
C. Grain tannins.
No char, no caramel, no coffee, no fudge, no vanilla, no cocoa, no burnt sugar.
Just stemminess and threads of fizz, snug on the tongue. The flavors of this beer perfectly occupy the space laid out for them by the alcohol. They fit like fingers in a glove. Supple when cold, like frozen, whole cream....
Rich. Golden. Sunlight. Truth.
Behold.

Love it Very much a lot

4.85/5  rDev +66.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I like imports. They make me feel multicultural. This is pretty much my favorite.
I like Kirin Ichiban a lot too.

4.75/5  rDev +62.7%

4.5/5  rDev +54.1%

4.5/5  rDev +54.1%

4.37/5  rDev +49.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.28/5  rDev +46.6%

It poured a golden straw color with a nice three finger head. Minimal activity could be seen, but the head left some great lacing behind as it retreated.

It had that alcohol/rice smell that I typically attribute to a rice brewed product. There was a nice sweet undetone.

Very neutral, no real taste at first. It then gave way to a light pseudo malt flavor, I was not expecting that out of a rice beer.

There was a little bit of a metallic aftertaste that I find typical when drinking beer stored in a can. (It's not the brewers fault that the distributor only provides a beer in one type of container. I will not take this into account when I score the beer.)

It had a great mouthfeel. Crisp, cool, refreshing. Wet and light with a nice back of the palate dry finish.

A little different. But I could drink a couple of these in a sitting.

4.25/5  rDev +45.5%

4.2/5  rDev +43.8%

I have saved my first review for this, and I have held back for good reason.
I have held out on reviewing all the other beers I have endured, which is to say that all of the macro beers on the north american continent that I can think of ( canadian, american and mexican). I think this should become the watermark for american (mainly U.S.) macro. Especially since if you have enough to afford them, you can afford this. There isnt nearly as much corn and rice flavor as in the macros, you can let this warm up and sit for a while and its still is palletable, as opposed to the U.S. macros that become undrinkable. Actually there are some that cant be drank unless they are ICE cold. Definantly worth being stocked.

Over the average good taste and feel.

Sapporo Original Draft Beer from Sapporo Breweries Ltd.