Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fire In The Rye | Double Trouble Brewing Co.

Fire In The RyeFire In The Rye
3.62/5
Good
Fire In The RyeFire In The Rye

Double Trouble Brewing Co.
Ontario, Canada
doubletroublebrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Availability: Fall

Added by Cramshawbar on 12-05-2013

2.31/5  rDev -36.2%

Pours a nice caramel hue, faint malt smell.
Taste pretty average malt with a bit of hop, don't taste much rye flavour.
Overall an alright beer

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

TAste of roasted malt and hops. Small peppery taste by rye. Average beer

2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

3.12/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Looks and smells great, very warm start smooth and then the bitter finish kind of jumps out at you. Not terrible

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: Reddish brown in color. Stiff pour yielded no head (baffling). Little to no carbonation. No date on the can, but I bought it at the LBCO last week. This is a prime example of why breweries should always put dates on their products (unless I just got a bad can).

S: Heavy on the rye and caramel malts. Not detecting any hops.

T: Lots of rye and caramel malt, just like the nose would suggest. Some spice from the rye. Very one dimensional.

M: A bit thin / watery and slight burn from the alcohol on the finish. The extremely low carbonation hurts the mouth feel significantly.

O: This was one of the few craft beers I could find in thunder bay. Unfortunately, it was rather forgettable.

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

3.27/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A very interesting pint. You have to really be in the mood for something "spicy". It's not a mellow session beer. It's a nuclear kick-start to your taste buds to wake the **** up and get this party started. It's a great pint, but not for everyone.

3.34/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.36/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

473 ml can purchased from LCBO the other day. Served cold into the pint glass. have not seen in this in stores before and given the abundance of Ontario reviews in the past few days, this is probably a new beer.

Appearance - Hazy brown molasses color. Nice finger and a bit of creamy voluminous white head. Tons of bubbles are apparent and nice orange hues in the beer as well. Ok head retention and moderate lacing.

Smell - Rye aromas. Not a ton else, but some generic grainy beer smells. Obviously malts based and perhaps a dabbling of other grains. As the beer warms a bit the roasted characteristics come more into play.

Taste - Quite bitter, rye based. Rather earthy as well but in a pleasant manner (to my tastes, i.e. it doesn't overwhelm) and this happens more towards the conclusion of any given sip.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation, creamy feel with a dry finish.

Overall - While I have not tried very many rye beers at all, I can already tell with some certainty that it's not my cup of tea. However, I think that this does a pretty good job within the style and tastes pretty decent to boot, so as far as rye beers go this is one I would recommend if you feel the need to drink rye beers or have a particular hankering for the style.

3.37/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.44/5  rDev -5%

Tall can from the Ottawa LCBO for $2.90

Appearance - Brown colour with an average size frothy beige coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some amazing lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for close to 5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - Malts, caramel, light hops

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste caramel and malts mixed with light hops. There is also some roasted/toasted notes, a touch of citrus, and some rye

Overall - A decent offering I suppose. For some reason I was expecting something more along the lines of the Camerons RPA, which has some great fruity/juicy/hoppy flavours. This beer is more on the malty side but does manage to showcase the rye.

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Got this one from the LCBO this past summer.

From a 16oz can into a snifter
Centennial hops

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger, medium looking, creamy, off-white head with great retention. Hazy, burnt orange with medium levels of carbonation. Head slowly fades to a foamy cap and leaves chunky lacing down the sides of the glass. A slight wisp remains leaving some dots of lacing.

SMELL: Caramel, light floral hop notes and some grapefruit aromas. A hint of spice from the rye perhaps. Medium strength.

TASTE: Touches of caramel and spicy rye up front, then a medium but lingering finish of bitter grapefruit, caramel sweetness, spicy rye and some bubble gum notes. Rye adds a nice, lightly spicy touch to the bitter-sweet pale ale.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy enough, goes down fine and finishes a touch mouth-coating. Some bitterness lingers on the palate. Could be a hint creamier and drier perhaps.

OVERALL: This is nice. The rye addition works and adds a nice addition to the lightly bitter-sweet pale ale. A drinkable and enjoyable brew that works great on a warm summer’s day.

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.47/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Great head! very large head (I don't know where people are getting this "1 finger" from, unless they're waiting 1 minute. Maybe it's because I don't chill down to 5º C or anything crazy like that), quite fine, and excellent head retention. Lots of lacing, but very fine, and it's mostly solid rings of lace. Very dark and cloudy appearance. So dark it could not be considered amber. Light brown (but cloudy). Again I gotta say, the head is really up there with many stouts (not at all like super-fine nitro stouts such as Guiness or anything though); definitely one of the best aspects of this beer.

Smell: I didn't smell much. I guess a bit of caramel. I forgot to smell at the start though, so there may have (probably) been some hop smell there too (which I'd be unable to notice after tasting the beer).

Taste: eh unfortunately I hate really hoppy beers. This was way too bitter for me. That wasn't a surprise though; sometimes I try different stuff for variety. It was too bitter for me to taste much flavor aside from hops. All I really tasted is typical beer loaded with a ton of relatively common hops flavors. Certainly nice for those who like a lot of hops, but not me. The long-term aftertaste was metallic to me. I think it's just the hops though, but maybe not.

The beer has a great medium carbonation that is extremely fine. Definitely something I like. I didn't write much about it, but that doesn't mean I didn't think it was fantastic carbonation/body/mouthfeel.

Try having this beer with a salty food, or even just lick a bit of salt while drinking. It gives a really great flavor dynamic. Maybe a problem was that I wasn't drinking this with anything sweet or salty. In fact, this would probably be a fantastic beer for beer batter, marinating, or any other beer-based food flavoring. Granted, that would be completely wasting the absolutely wonderful carbonation and head that this beer has.

Overall I'd say this is a top-notch beer for the style of "super-hoppy/bitter beers"; recommended to anyone who loves a ton of hops. I feel like this is a really great beer, A+, but which is also totally 100% not for me, so I'm giving it a much lower rating since I can only rate how I personally enjoyed it.

Fire In The Rye from Double Trouble Brewing Co.