Mac Queen's Nessie | Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg
Austria
schloss-eggenberg.at

Style: Vienna Lager

Note: New recipe from 2008, gravity went down from 16° to 12°, alcohol from 7.3% to 5%

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-03-2002

3.75/5  rDev +14.3%

3.31/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottle from Hyvee in West Omaha, NE
No bottled on date
Poured into a standard US pint glass

Schloss Eggenberg's Nessie puts together an interesting beer using whisky malt that has been, I believe, dried with some light peat smoke. While this sounds particularly interesting, the results are not particularly exciting, creating a fairly typical light-tasting lager beer with some continental hop usage detectable amongst the malt characters. Quite sessionable, perhaps, but I'm afraid I'd find this a tad boring after more than one, and also a drain on the pocketbook due to the import price.

Pours a tall, just off-white head of medium and small bubbles, the foam decreasing in about a minute to a thin cap atop the beer. Leaves substantial lacing along the sides of the glass. Body is a transparent golden orange color away from light, yellow-orange when held up to it. Carbonation is easily visible and quite active.

Aroma is rather malty, with considerable caramel presence. We also are presented with a blended-in bit of peat character and a bit of leather.

In general, I'd characterize the taste as fairly simple, a bit flat, and rather light. An easy-drinker, for sure, but I would prefer a bit more robust flavor. Opens with malt sweetness on the tip of the tongue, followed by floral and grassy hops that last through the fore-palate. Mid-palate continues to pick up malt sweetness, but which also offers a bit of caramelized and slightly peaty flavors. Could see how some would characterize this as fruity, but for me, the sweetness arises from light malt sugars and not fruit sugars. Hops continue to be mildly present in both taste and bitterness in mid-palate, increasing somewhat into the close of the taste. Aftertaste has a bit of cracker character and lingering grassy hop bitterness.

The beer is light-medium in body, but bears little wateriness. Carbonation is present, but not prickly, just makes the beer foam up a bit on the palate. Fairly refreshing feeling. Finish is dry.

3.12/5  rDev -4.9%

A vintage bottle of the 7.3 abv variety. Who knows how old this bottle really is. Apparently this recipe was discontinued in 2008. Poured from a 11.2 ounce bottle into a stemmed pokal.

A- Dark amber color with minimal white head that doesn't disappear right away.

S- Malty with raisins, figs and some alcohol. Smells a bit like a Belgian Strong Dark Ale.

T- As I expected this was kind of bland. I'm getting malt with some rasins, slight alcohol and a slight bitter aftertaste. Almost has an artificial sweetness to it at the end. Tastes like a bottle of slightly spoiled Chimay Grande Reserve Blue that I've had before.

M- Very thin, kind of flat but is burning the back of my throat.

O- I'd swear that this was a cheap Belgian Strong Dark Ale. Very strange. I have another bottle. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I wonder what this was like fresh. Oh well.

3.35/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle.Flute glass.Enjoyed on mar´12. Amberish gold in color.Clear. Off-white lasting creamy crown.Copious rings are left from top to the bottom. Caramel malt,hints of sugar & a very subtle whisky malt note to the nose. Puckering upfront. Gentle malt tendency & noble hop flavors.Herbal hues. Medium body,medium-high carbonation.Smooth bitter finish,wood & slightly smoky touches on the aftertaste.Pleasant drinkability.

3.65/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to Jim at Sherbrooke for the sample. From a 330 ml brown bottle, peach/flesh coloured paper label around neck and cap. Pours out a clear deep golden hue, tall loose frothy white head that slowly settles.

Clean metallic grains and biscuity, bready malt on the nose, mild smoke and wood, some perfumey and grassy hops.

Flavour is incredibly clean as well, with metallic grains up front, biscuity malt, just a hint of sour citrus and peat from the whiskey malt, finishing with mild spicy, leafy, grassy hops.

Light-bodied mouthfeel, silky smooth texture, moderate carbonation.

Pleasant and clean, although the whiskey malt doesn't really add much in the end. Certainly a Light Scottish Ale, worth trying once at least though not overly memorable.

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

Kept an open mind, but just can't see the love in this beer from some. Pours hazy pale amber to golden hue, with tan head that recedes to almost nothing quickly. Nose isn't very assertive with a hint of toffee. Palate offers a weird fruity/sweet malt focus that I haven't seen in many beers. Soft medium body. Soft on the finish too, with more malty sweetness and minimal hop influence overall. Meh.

3.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a deep golden color with some reddish tones. Very clear. Lots of fine carbonation with tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Head is light tan and shows good retention and lacing.

Aroma is dominated by malt with bread, cereal grain, caramel, and nuts. Also some honey and slight touch of citric and floral hops is perceptible towards the end.

Taste is again malty with bread, cereal grain, caramel and nutty notes. Not nearly as sweet as the aroma previously suggested. The balance is nicely done by mild hop bitterness along with a very subtle floral note from european varieties. Some smoky notes are also present. Long finish with malts dominating hops, as it should be.

Body is medium to low with high carbonation. High drinkability.

Overall a very well made scottish ale where the malts really shine through, but not to the point of being too sweet - Hops do a good job of keeping the balance. I'd love to session this one.

3.26/5  rDev -0.6%

330 ml. bottle, pours an amber, rather than red, colour, with a good head that fades leaving a ring. Smell is poor, only grain and some malts. It feels good and carbonated in the tongue, but the taste is also poor: grains, malt, some caramel. I can't find the whiskey anywhere in this beer. I enjoyed drinking it, but it's not exactly what I expected.

Poured into a pint glass at 45 degrees:

Appearance: A one finger creamy white head that has fair retention. The color of the beer is amber color with coppery orange hues. The clarity of the beer is clear with some carbonation bubbles. In the beer there is a touch of haziness from yeast.

Nose: A medium malty that is toasty, honey, vanilla, yeast, caramel and butterscotch.

Taste: A medium malty flavor with earth, peat, fruity esters, caramel, honey, yeast, butterscotch, and a biscuit note.

The mouth feel is coating, carbonated, and cloying.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium with a medium finish. This beer is good but not great.

3.23/5  rDev -1.5%

Pour: Medium orange in color. Two and a half fingers of fluffy white head with good retention and some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Slightly tart, fruity aroma with a caramel backbone. Slightly bready.

Taste: Rather lackluster. A light malty taste with some hints of tart fruit. Clean finish with just the slightest hint of peaty Scotch. Not much going on.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium with low carbonation (almost too low for the weight). Very clean and smooth, however.

Drinkability: It's OK. I can drink it, but it's not the best in the world. Goes down easily.

Final Notes: This beer is alright. It's not what I want in a Scottish Ale though. It could use twice as much malt as it has in it. Disappointing.

2.06/5  rDev -37.2%

I was hoping for something more like the Samichlaus in this brew. Ended up being a little disappointed. This beer has a nice reddish color and thats about as far as it went for me on the positives of this brew. I really wanted to enjoy this but I found this beer to be on the weak side a bit. I was surprised... The aromas didn't really do too much for me it smelled a little funny not sure how to put it really. The head vanished and it was a little on the flat side. Scottish Ales are usually very good to me but this one just didn't make the cut.

2.28/5  rDev -30.5%

a: gold color with a bit of a pink tint, uneven head dissipation. A little bit of lacing, though for the most part a very watery look.

s: gotta be honest...smells EXACTLY like my dog's blue buffalo food. Very grainy, thinking a lot of barley (maybe oat?) coming out here.

t: tastes like it smells. I suppose I get a hint of the malt, but not much. It only comes out in the sweetness. for the most part, this is very very very very very grainy. I am having trouble enjoying this, though as it warms, I get a bit more of the malt. Overall, not my thing...and I tend to like red ales. I feel like I've got dog food in my mouth.

m: mouthfeel is tremendous, actually. Hard to classify this with the appalling taste I get, but the feel is good, nice and smooth with a good balance of carbonation. Cool and crisp.

d: I've had a few sips and while it is getting a bit better, my first reaction was that I didn't want to keep trying it. At about $4 a bottle, this isn't what I expected. Only 5% abv so I suppose I didn't expect that boozy quality here, though quite sad that I get no heat and a ton of grains which, honestly, I am not thinking are tasty.

Overall, very disappointed here. I like red ales and this one sounded like it had promise, though compared to some out there, this is bottom tier and a waste of a nice glass bottle. Very sad about this one.

Oh well, always next year.

as an edit to my post...always possible I got a bad batch...though I am not getting much of the malt that other people mentioned (I like to review first, and then compare to what others have said). I am very sad if this is just a bad bottle as I will likely never give it another go...again, sounded like it'd be a great one to go for, though this is just not me and I just cannot appreciate this if I have what is indeed a good batch.

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Picked this up at Ammersino Feine Getränke in Vienna, Austria. Clear yellow-amber pour with one finger head and decent lacing. The nose is earthy and grassy at first, but becomes sweet and fruity with hints of caramel and a touch of whiskey. Lots of toasted malt and caramel in the taste along with some nuttiness, grass, vanilla, and a touch of oak. Nice dry but slightly syrupy mouthfeel. Kept waiting to taste some whiskey, but sadly it never appeared. And since the label says it's known as the "Whiskey among the beers", I think it's a pretty epic failure. It's not a bad beer, but definitely doesn't deliver what it promised.

4.23/5  rDev +29%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Single Nessie purchased around $4. I was excited to see this as Samichlaus is one of my favorite beers. Nessie did not dissappoint me.

Pours a very thin white head with a smell of scotch ale, malts and some residual malt sugars. Taste of scotch ale, remarkably well done and smooth. There is a taint of light cherry in the distance with oak. Consistency also very similar to Samichlaus without the 14% alc. Just enough scotch flavor to call it a scotch ale, remarkably smooth and enjoyable. I would love to be able to get these in 4 packs however I never see them.

3.77/5  rDev +14.9%

I found this single 330mL bottle in a dusty box at Hoosick Beverage in Troy NY. The sticker said $3.49 but it rang up as $2.99. No date but it looks damn old, so I guess we'll see how it goes. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

A hard pour into the center of the glass gives 1/2" of eggshell foam from this fairly flat brew. The brew itself is clear and copper colored. Nose is a fairly sweet smell of cherry cough syrup, earthy, and a little alcohol zing. Mouthfeel is moderately thick, not with malt but with sweetness. The rest of the smell is spot on too... some dark cherry, earthiness (wood?), and a little spicy alcohol.

3.6/5  rDev +9.8%

So this Austrian takes off his Tyrolean cap, dons a kilt, and goes into a bar...or something like that. Brewed by the folks that bring us Samiclaus using imported Scottish whisky malz, hops, and hop extract. Note there's no whisky or old whisky barrels involved here. Just a redirection of malt from the distiller to the brewer. This ain't one of those "extreme" beers.

Pours an "old gold"en yellow with no real head retention to speak of. Aroma dominated by toffee, with just a hint of smoke, at least by Bamberg standards. This is still a nice clean lager beer, might have been able to get close to this just with Munich malt. Otherwise the hops (& extract) are there in a subdued supporting role.

Nice medium body which goes down easily. This could be a nivce session beer, but have some friends to talk with, since this beer just doesn't have enough going on to keep your attention for all that long, but it would be nice in a supporting role where you do notice the flavor as you take a swig while your friend has the floor.

3.34/5  rDev +1.8%

11,2 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher snifter. 5.0% ABV, no date.

A - Completely clear, Nessie is well carbonated with a thin ring of off-white foam that doesn't last long at all. Sexy golden light amber color.

S - Sweet toasted caramel malts tip the balance of this beer to a near dopplebock-like malt presence. No hops come through nor does whiskey. A clean and crisp aroma dominated by malts with a subtle yeast touch that's very German smelling.

T - The aroma thins out in the flavor to a less than interesting level. A subtle caramel sweetness and a micro hint of white grape is all I get from this. No hops, no whiskey. Not to say it's bad, the lack of anything substantial is more of a let down.

M - Thin-bodied and light, Nessie still remains crisp and smooth like the nose suggests but becomes a rather unimpressive beverage with mild sweetness.

D - Nothing about Nessie is off-putting but nothing is interesting either. The lack of flavors and the smooth texture make it easily drinkable for a session beer but don't expect anything beyond that.

2.63/5  rDev -19.8%

Review from notes on 1/30/10.

This beer, as far as I'm concerned, is simply boring. There's nothing going on here, just a standard whatever beer. Supposedly a red ale, this poured a pale golden yellow with no head. Not much in the aroma but some cereal grains, biscuit, and hint of booze. Although an ok flavor, it doesn't have anything going for it. No caramel, not much fruits except a bit of pears. Altogether very disappointing.

Mac Queen's Nessie from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg