Urbock 23° | Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Style: Doppelbock

Added by Bierman9 on 12-05-2001

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into lager glass.
Pours clear copper/golden beer with 1-finger ring of white froth, quick dissipation to nothing.
Smell - malty, boozy.
Taste - sweet malty, caramel, upfront alcohol.
Full syrupy body, soft carbonation.
Too sweet and lacking of appearance.

3.76/5  rDev +5%

Poured a golden orange color, slight amount of carbonation, no head/lacing.

Smell is underwhelming. Has the aroma of small traces of toffee, sweet caramel malt, and is slightly spicy zest in character and biscuity malt.

Taste is pretty much the same as the aroma. Has mildl toffee but dominating amounts of caramel, sweet malt, mild spiciness, and finishes with a very nice hop bitterness, without it, this beer would be far too sweet with this kind of malt bill. The bittersweet finish lingers for a few minutes and there's warming in the throat from the alcohol. This can best be described as a slightly lighter version of Samichlaus. The is a moderately strong fusal alcohol presence and noticeable warming on the way down the hatch. There is a small amount of oakines in the flavor.

Has a medium body, finishes clean, not syrupy, and very smooth and somewhat creamy..

Drinkability runs high, I could enjoy two or three of these!

3.76/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is our last beer from the Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg. Or Castle Brewing Eggenberg. Either way, this is our last beer from them. I was looking at pictures from the brewery, and this place looks awesome. I have never been to Austria. Guess I need to plan a trip!

I like reading words like, "syrupy" and, "sweet". I also like where the number 23 comes from. The more sugar the better. I am curious if the ABV is hidden. Never had this; stoked. Cheers!

In the Glass: This isn't as dark as I expected it to be. I assume most doppelbocks to be dark. The most recent doppelbock I tried was from Alaskan Brewing Company. That was a sweet malt bomb that I tried both on tap and in the bottle. Actually shared two pints of it with Chuck Noll at Whole Foods here in Scottsdale. Anyway, this is not as dark as I wanted it to be. Not much head, but what head is there is white. No lace, either. I hope this smells awesome.

Nose: Not much aroma here… but what I am smelling is sweet. Basically sugar water. I will say I just drank a double IPA from Captain Lawrence Brewing Company, so my palate is a bit off right now. But the hops were subtle and somewhat fruity. I smelled again, and just getting a boatload of sweet sugary goodness. I hope this tastes as good as it smells. Well… better.

Flavor: Oh. My. God. That is AMAZING!!! The mouthfeel is amazing, but we will get to that. The flavor is incredible, complex, and well… sweet. The finish sucks, but the there is a lot of sugary sweetness on the palate. My entire palate is just covered in sweetness. The burp is even sweet. (Does it gross you out when I talk about my burps?)

On my second sip, I swished it around in my mouth a little. There isn't a ton of carbonation at first, but when you move it around, the bubbles explode across your tongue. Doing that, however, it really opens up and almost has a brown sugar flavor to it. I bet this will heat up nice.

Mouthfeel: It starts out thin, but then, as it gets to the back of my palate and the sugary sweetness begins to open up, the beer starts to carbonate as you swallow. The finish, like I said, sucks… but the sweetness overrides that. It has a weird metallic finish that lingers as I swallow.

Aftertaste: I guess the lingering finish is more a part of the aftertaste than the mouthfeel. After a few sips, the metallic flavor goes away, but it still has a weird flavor when I swallow. I guess that's OK until my last drink. I will just keep chugging this until it's gone.

I REALLY like Samichlaus, their Christmas beer. Of course, it is always available at our local Total Wine & More. I'm sad this brewery is done. I bet they make a few more huh ABV beers that are just loaded with sweetness. This bottle is well done. If you like beer that are sweet and hide the booze, grab a bottle. Not sure it's worth $5.99… but man, this is tasty. Cheers!

3.76/5  rDev +5%

Light gold pour with little light head thinning out relatively quickly in my glass.

I smell apple skins and cider. No malt, no hops. I'm skeptical.

Tastes of disappointment and pears. Caramelized pear in the body portion that is ushered in and out on fizzy dollies leaving unfermented sugar stains on the carpet of your tongue. I could see this as a weak Belgian triple but a doppelbock this is not.

In all fairness I am relatively new to the world of beer tasting so I could be way off on this but I know there are others in my general experience bracket who will benefit from my experience. I hope to revisit this one when I have more under my belt.

Mouthfeel is generally good but I'm getting a lot of soft carbonation with just a little wash of a medium body in the middle third of the sip.

Drinkability, under controlled circumstances is pretty good. I might have a few of these but with the ABV and relative body in the mouth, three would be plenty.

I'm guessing this was one of the best beers in the world in 1700 but since then only the hype has grown in quality.

I'll try this again at some point in the future in case my tastes evolve but currently, I'm not looking forward to it.

3.77/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a honey-gold, with a white fluffy head, quickly dissipating (all too quick - but to be expected at this abv level). Smells of sweet malts, a sugary, caramel, notes of brandy. Surprisingly thin thouht, certainly sweet malts, crisp finish, light hops - again somewhat watery for this high-priced brew. Excellent mouthfeel. Drinkable, but the abv prevents me from trying another tonight.

3.77/5  rDev +5.3%

Golden orange with a white head that's gone before you know it. Sharp, spicy yeast nose with hoppiness and a bit of vinous character noticeable. On the palate, it's grapefruit and rind with lots of hopping; spicy, earthy, and bitter. Yeasty and spicy like a belgian tripel. In fact, aside from the big caramel backbone, this beer could easily be taken for a tripel. Spicy alcohol warms. Smooth and slightly carbonated mouthfeel, very tingly from the spiciness and alcohol. Leafy character in the aftertaste. Not a bad beer, a very interesting surprise from Austria.

3.77/5  rDev +5.3%

Weird looking; definitely didn't realize this one was a doppelbock. Pours like a krystalweizen, crystal clear with visible bubbles and a weak head. Light copper color. I am confused. Nose is very tasty: lots of sweet malt, spiciness, alcohol. Taste is likewise: crazy sweet, which I actually like, but tons of spice and alcohol in there as well. Not a doppelbock flavor, to be honest, but not bad. Body's a little thin, carbonation's a little high. Well I'll be honest, I had this one rated a lot higher when I didn't realize its supposed style. Not bad, but doesn't fit with the style in the least. Seems more like an ale, actually.

3.77/5  rDev +5.3%

A - Poured out a pale amber color with a foamy/bubbly, white, two-finger head. it left small traces of lace.

S - It smelled sweet and fruity (raisins). It also had a spicy aroma.

T - It tasted sweet and malty. It had a fruity quality. It almost tasted like an English Barleywine.

M - It was soft, creamy and smooth. A medium to heavy-bodied beer.

D - This is an interesting beer. It didn't look like most dopplebocks or taste like one. But it was good.

3.78/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 330mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium golden hue with no haze and a strong effervescence. Head poured a finger of frothy white foam but didn't stick around particularly long.

Smell: rich malt with rather a bit of sweetness and a little bit of fruity, boozy character. I like it.

Taste: rich malt with plenty of sweetness, although it's not cloyingly sweet which can happen. There's a hint of dankness and a little bitterness toward the end. Not a bad doppelbock.

Mouthfeel: rich body with a good enough carbonation to yield a satisfying mouthfeel. I like it quite a bit.

Overall: tasty, and drinkable enough for its strength. It doesn't have enough interesting character to be truly outstanding, but it's a well-enough wrought beer.

3.78/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours just like I thought it would when I read "Pale Doppelbock". Nice golden color with a solid 2 finger, white head.

Nose; candy sugar and bready, some booze too.

Taste; pretty simple and straight forward; sweet and a bit syrupy, bready, a mild bitterness throughout, finishing with a lingering honey note.

Overall; Austria's Duvel if you will...it's bright in color, fairly strong carbonation, decent balance, abv is well hidden, and itdefinitely gets the job done!

3.79/5  rDev +5.9%

Moscow has a chain of Turkish-owned grocery stores called Ramstore. One of the chain's distinguishing features is an excellent selection of beer, including this one. The small (33cl) dark brown bottle with the black and gold label jumps out at you screaming "pick me! pick me!). I finally did. The Russian label slapped on the back spends a lot of time explaining the difference between this and Samichlaus. Also calls this the "cognac of beers" and urges Russian drinkers to enjoy this one slowly. Good advice. Ingredients match the purity law. Expiration date was July 2003, but I opened it on 9/7/03. No problem.

Pours clear and just a fraction darker than pure gold. The head was thin, fizzy and very short-lived. The aroma is marvelous - candied fruits, malt, and yes, cognac. The mouth is prickly, but also heavy with sweet and alcohol. The taste is sweet and fruity, yet the alcohol makes its presence known. The hops lurk in the background at first, then come out as the sweetness fades and the alcohol attempts to take over. The battle is finally won by the warm, soothing, sweet alcohol with the raisin and apple tones. Definitely a winter warmer, this goes down well in Moscow in early September. I'm enjoying this, but like it's adopted brother Samichlaus, this is not the beer to have when you are having more than one!

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep golden color with good clarity and fat creamy off white head that stays and stays. Nose is strong with malt richness and depth. Like ribbons of scent from malt but nothing burnt or roasted. Just sweet. No hops on the nose but a nice light fruitiness. Sheeting lace that slides back into the ring and alcohol legs. Some grape like sweetness. A bit of sweet chocolate comes forward shyly as it warms. The fruit on the nose is a mere grapey sweetness. Light and bright. Taste is heavenly delight. Rich sweet malt unfolds on the palate. Light chocolate, clean tastes and a grape like sweetness that includes a bit of sweet raisin type depth. Toasty but nothing burnt. No hop flavor until the very end where it finishes with a timid bitter and a little more of that chocolate to linger in the aftertaste. Medium full body, smooth and wonderful.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

The beer pours a crystal clear golden yellow; the head modest in size, frothy in texture, off white in color and it dissipates quickly leaving a silky sheet of lace to caress the glass. A touch of yeast lots of malt, fresh and clean is the nose. Big malt start that is also sweet, the top middling in its feel to the palate, finish is delectable in the hop arena, the carbonation purposeful, the aftertaste droughty, and a fine beer to be sure and well worth a sample.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From notes, had this at the brewery tour out of their long stemmed snifter

L golden red, no foam

A banana, alcohol, honey, fruity

T sweet, some bitterness, alcoholic

F fine carbonation, medium heavy body, oily

O nice beer for food pairing, definitely a slow sipper

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Crystal clear and golden in color, with very little carbonation and no head at all. The aroma is sugary sweet, with a bit of raisiny fruitiness. The flavor too, starts off quite sugary -- almost granular. Big malt body with more fruit notes and noticeable alcohol warming. Hops are purely supportive but contribute to a dryish finish. Medium-bodied,creamy and somewhat coating, but not excessively so. Decent beer, but a bit one-dimensional in terms of flavor.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a bottle to a flute glass. Had a surprisingly thin texture, with a dark, yellowish color. Miniscule head and very little lacing.

There was a sweetness, along with some malt in the smell.

The taste was interesting. It had the aforementioned malt, but also a tinge of apples. It was odd. Not bad, somewhat sweet, though.

The mouthfeel was okay. It had an above average amount of carbonation, but did possess a good, smooth finish.

This is a decently drinkable beer. Not exactly what I was expecting, but good nonetheless. Fairly complex, but not as much as other beers.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours an orangey-peach color with a minimal white head. Head quickly dissipates to nothing; no lacing. There is a lot of fine bubbles, however.

A pleasant, refined, strong aroma of pale malty sweetness, paired with fruits (apple, pear, banana) and a slight alcholic note.

Initially a sweet taste, once again with fruit flavors, followed by an alcohol spice and hop bitterness in the finish. Well balanced, but not what's expected for a doppelbock - I was thinking this was more of a maibock. I found the taste to be quite pleasant.

Medium bodied, with a zest provided by the bubbly carbonation which belies the weak head. Definitely warming, and not all too drinkable due to the presence of the alcohol.

A surprising beer, and surprisingly good.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle shared by Matt. 2006 or 2007 I believe. Thanks Matt. I've been curious about this beer for a while. I've had it on a couple of different occasions with mixed results. This is a "popular" doppelbock and helps me move along in my study of the style. Thanks again Matt.

Beer is yellow to amber and clear. No real head, no lacing, carbonation low.

Pretty sweet in the nose. Malt character, mild alcohol but its not overpowering or boozy. The aroma seems mellow and balanced. So far so good but at this point I'm expecting a pretty sweet beer.

Its sweet but oddly thin. Its very very thin. Mild ethanol on the front palate and lots of sweetness in the mid to forward palate. The beer finishes oddly bitter. Its smooth and drinkable but its not my favorite doppelbock, not by a long shot. Its a good beer and I would recommend it because of the brewery alone. I would drink it again but if I had a choice between this and another doppelbock I would likely try the other.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A "pale doppelbock" described as the cognac of the beer world on the label. It is indeed pale, a bright sparkly lemon drop yellow with around three inches of white foam. Aroma is intensely sweet and bready, with ample lager yeast character and green grape must. Palate does indeed evoke cognac a little but is of course much sweeter. Tastes of golden cake with icing, apples, a poppy seed nuttiness, and dried plums, esters and phenols abound with a pervasive mustiness that recalls white wine. Hops provide some additional fruit notes like gooseberry and some bitterness to the finish, which is more crisp, dry, and spicy than the initial sweetness would suggest. Boozy like many Belgian tripels and some of the other flavors go down this path as well, although this lager beer is much sweeter than the more attenuated Belgian ale. I like darker flavors in this style but this is worth sampling.

3.82/5  rDev +6.7%

Had this at The Saloon on U St., Washington, D.C.

Appearance: Coppery, clear color with no head (or head that dissipated quickly).

Smell: Faint yeasts and cloves. Overall honey sweetness.

Taste: Honey is the most apparent taste; somewhat reminiscent of Barbar. Overtones of almost honey-sweetened black tea, with slight nuttiness. There seems to be an icy, refreshing complexion to the beer that makes it colder in your mouth than the temperature at which the beer was served.

Overall: A nice sipping beer; good for sampling, but too basic to justify the price for a small glass.

Urbock 23° from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg