Urbock 23°

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Urbock 23°Urbock 23°
Notes:
firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last
Reviews: 306 | Ratings: 456
3.36/5  rDev -7.9%

First thing I picked up on the nose is lemons. A little spicy yeast and a sweet smell. The color is clear but lackluster, it seemed dull. Not a lot of head and and very little retention. Flavor mildly malty, the tiniest bit of hop bitterness and a good dose of alcohol. Seemed a little thin.

4.46/5  rDev +22.2%

Wow.. this is the trippiest beer I have ever had. A through-the-looking-glass, alternate dimension doppelbock.

Golden, pilsener-like body. Decent bubbly white head.
Somewhat (noble?) hoppy nose, with evident maltiness and some alcohol.

Storms into the mouth with carmel apple maltiness. Switches to solely apple, then to grape. Hops enter at this point to dry out the juiciness. Alcohol is next, which ads some pepper and fire. Finishes wine-like with lingering honey.

Very tasty, very complex and very unique.
Syrup-like in the mouth, but not oppressively heavy. Actually, pretty solid.
Quite a treat.
I am surprised this has been hosed by many other reviews. It has me grinning like Cheshire Cat.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

Interesting is right…Pours a crystal clear, shiny gold color, I could smell the alcohol aroma a bit, as well as malts. On the palate, there is tiny alcohol bite, but really comes of spicy or peppery, but this brew sure does give a warming sensation all the way through…Quite interesting for a DB…In the finish (Venom nailed it) tastes like whisky a bit…Overall very interesting DB…the extreme warming in the pit of the stomach is awesome...

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

I learned something new again. I've never experienced a golden doppel before, and didn't know they existed. I thought all doppels were dark and coppery. Well, imagine my surprise when I first poured this beer!

Anyhoo, Urbock 23° has the basic aroma and flavor of a doppel. It has a nice sweet and malty nose, with a bit of spice (I saw vanilla listed on another review, but I'm not sure that's what I picked up) to it. The flavor is rich with molasses-like flavors and a bit of balancing hops. This is one of those brews that had an obvious alcohol presence in it's warmth in the mouthfeel and continues to warm as I drank. However, I didn't notice any alcohol in the aroma or taste. I thought that was a bit odd, but certainly not unpleasant.

2.42/5  rDev -33.7%

Clear golden color. A bit of skunk on the nose. A bit of an off flavor. Slightly skunky. Tastes a bit like many European beers that I've had in bottles. Has that "European" skunk to me. Not very good. I'm surprised a bit because I really enjoyed their samichlaus bier.

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

Clear, clean, dark gold with little head...sweet malt/vanilla tones on the nose...9% alcohol? You'd never guess it...sweet and slick with little hopping...a bit sweet for some but a good blond doppel in my book..a nice flowery hop profile would do wonders for this beer..could use some additional hopping but still very good as is..

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last