Doppelbock Dunkel | Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

schloss-eggenberg.at

Style: Doppelbock

Added by tavernjef on 02-18-2007

4.31/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A beautiful beer. Pours a deep brown. Has a bit of a bite on the tongue, but a great flavor. Very drinkable, very tasty.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

330 ml bottle served fairly cold into a pint glass. Purchased at Chester's beers of the world in Hamilton.

Appearance - a dark brown color with honey hues and a finger of white head on too that coalesces into a small cap.

Smell - a little earthy, some cherries and a dose of molasses.

Taste - starts boozy sharp with some earthiness before transitioning to a hint of cherry, treacle, molasses and finally black licorice.

Mouthfeel- full bodied and a bit sharp from the booze. Too sharp for my liking.

Overall - not a flavour profile for everyone but for those who like it will like it a lot. Definitely worth a try for those who like the style and the treacle, molasses and licorice trio.

4.11/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.67/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.34/5  rDev -10.2%

Somewhat in the spirit of Paulaner Doppel: Sweet, but boozier and a slightly harsher and more bitter finish: Copper-colored: not much head or lacing. Somewhat cloudy in the glass. Probably wouldn't seek this out again, given available alternatives.

"C"

3.36/5  rDev -9.7%

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.47/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Very thin. Too much caramel. Pretty gross overall.

3.08/5  rDev -17.2%

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

3.64/5  rDev -2.2%

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

I really enjoy the look of Schloss Eggenberg both in and out of the bottle. It looks like a beer you would drink while listening to black metal which is my favourite style of music. The drink itself is pretty dark, not nearly the darkest I've had, with a slight reddish tone by the light but the colour definitely holds true to the name Dunkel. However, there is next to nothing carbonation wise and the head, at least when I poured it, is non existent. This is disappointing to me because I really enjoy a nice thick head on my beers. Also disappointing, to me at least, is the fact that this came with a plain, black cap (for the collectors out there).

What really confused me about the lack of head on this beer is that the smell is super malty. With aromatics of spices (cardamon or all spice?), caramel, and tonnes of coffee, this doppelbock really had me excited to taste it.

The taste is quite nice. I liked it from the first sip. With a blunt punch of coffee and a subtle pinch of caramel, the initial sip was nice. Soothing. Slight hints of dark cherry, some sort of fruit I can`t put a finger on, and toffee, giving the the lips slight stickiness as if drink hot chocolate or a very sugary coffee. I may be tasting some chocolate?

It is a very soothing beer, giving the drinker a warming sensation from tongue to stomach even when served at a cold temperatures. For an 8.5% alcohol beer, one would expect a large burn from the alcohol itself, but there is almost no burn to speak of. Only a spark, not a fire. I live in mid-north Canada and this beer would be perfect on a cold, dark winter night before a crackling fireplace.

Overall, though my experience with bocks are minimal and not exactly my preference, I would say this is a solid beer with very few flaws, and though I doubt I would ever go out of my way to buy Eggenberg again, if it is ever in my path, I will not hesitate to buy it.Granting I have enough money since it is quite expensive in my area. For fans of bocks, I recommend trying it at least once. Not a fan of that certain spice in this.

Cheers!