Samichlaus Bier Helles | Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Austria
schloss-eggenberg.at

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Added by mikesgroove on 11-25-2007

One of my favorite beers. The foam was a light wheat/white which dissapated very quickly witha small ring afterwards. The color was nice golden honey with hints of red and orange in the light. Taste was exceptional - it was darker and heavier than percieved by color. It also had berry undertones. Smell - crisp, clean and a variety of exotic complex fruity hints. Mouthfeel was deep. Drinkibility - smooth and rich a nice aquired taste.

4.9/5  rDev +30%

Nice amber colored beer with a very sweet initial flavor followed by a strong alcohol bite. very little head. Overall an Outstanding beer, excellent as an after dinner follow up. Highly recommended.

4.9/5  rDev +30%

I didin't know about this one until I saw a bottle in De Bierkoning in a trip to Amsterdam last year. Wish I had bought more bottles. Served in my rare Samichlaus glass, it pours some more head than its sister and lasts a bit more, but you can say it doesn't last. Very nice amber-orange colour, and absolutely beatiful when you hold it to the light.
Smells of honey, tropical fruits, dried fruits, and even almonds or hazelnuts or similar. Licorice, caramel. Silky sweet, maybe too sweet, flavor. Palate is similar, orange, honey, hazelnuts... only add a touch of oak. The finish is more like an orange liquor than a brandy, a difference to the Samichlaus we all know. The only "bad" thing that I could find is that I would have like it a little less sweetness, but when you have a beer like this, who cares?

4.89/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Hard to find beer. Had one from 2007 and it was absolutely amazing.

4.87/5  rDev +29.2%

2007 vintage.

An immediate fluffy, creamy tan head, that quicly dissipates and leaves little to no lacing, a placid-looking beer, with a wonderful clear amber colour. Foams up a bit after a swirl, but the head disappears fast. The absence of head-retention makes it feel a bit inscrutable!

Whoa. The smell is phenomenal. Huuuuge malty sweetness, with some dried fruits in the back, a slight hint of grass is detectable also, along with a fudge-like sensatio. But this is a really awesomely complex malt-onslaught, beautifu.

Wow. Not nearly as prominent alcohol taste as I had anticipated, the viscosity isnt as thick as I was expecting either, but it sure is sweet. This is a really magnificient bouquet of tastes. The initial sweetness is the first thing that strikes you, but it is backed up by a slightly tart fruitness, some dried red berries, almost a bit of blueberry, some oaky tastes come through as well, with a hint of the usual suspect vanilla... all the while having a syrupy slightly clingy sweetness reminiscent of caramellized brown sugar. There isn't much else to this beer apart from the huge maltiness, but damn, this is SOME complex and interesting maltiness. The complexness here is very much of the same kind I might find in a glass of cognac, or even a non-smokey whiskey.
I'm really, really amazed that the alcohol is not more prominent in the taste here, but the body is so full, so bursting of sweetness and awesome flavours that the alcohol only lingers in the background all the while, contributing with a cozy warmth that complements the sweetness of the brew throughout, amazing.

Really syrupy thick, viscous mouthfeel, the carbonation is a little bit weak though, but that's pretty much expected from a beer like this.

I'm really eager to try the Samichlaus classic I have in the cellar, but damn, if that is only half as good as this, it will still be the second best doppelbock I've had.

4.85/5  rDev +28.6%

Served in a chalis from a 12 oz bottle.

A: nice golden yellow to orange color, thin white head, tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass.

S: smell is malty, sweet deliciousness.

T: Out-of-this-World delicious !!! You have got to try this beer, malty mouthfeel, sweet, just downright damn good !

M: just like above, malty, smooth, sup this and just keep it in your mouth to "feel" the liquid, and "chew" it down your throat, then do it again, it is so delicious...

O: I cannot give it anything but the highest accolades, read the description on the back of the bottle, and you will agree, " one of the rarest specialities in the world ".

4.83/5  rDev +28.1%

Poured this one out into a snifter from an 11.2 oz bottle.

A - Very little head, which quickly vanished entirely. Golden and clear.

S - Strong alcohol smell, some fruitiness and caramel...very malty.

T - Caramel sweet and alcohol... very intense, reminds me of bourbon whiskey.

M - Very smooth creamy taste, with a bite in the back of the throat

D - For the high alcohol content, this was a smooth drink...but dangerous.

4.8/5  rDev +27.3%

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Yum! Such a rich flavor

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It's one of my top 5 of all beers, so I should give it a 5 , but I'm being reasonable.
I LOVE TBIS BREW !! :) :) :)

4.7/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.69/5  rDev +24.4%

A: A small head, light and airy. The color of the beer is deep golden.

S: Out of this world; the sweet dark dried fruits reign supreme. The smell could as easily been from a Port. The well-balanced malt and the high ABV make the a very complex beer.

T: Very nice; a thick syrupy sweetness from a very powerful maltyness. Lots of dark dried fruits; apricots, raisins and figs. Also a fresh fruitness in the back. Very complex.

M: A short sweet aftertaste, not that surprising though, considering the ABV and style. The body is so thick and the carbonation is almost non-excisting.

O: I've had lots of dark Samichlaus - this is my first pale one. The only thing that could improve this beer is a couple of years cellaring - but my character is too weak...

4.67/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

11.2 fl. Oz. Bottle 2015 vintage.reviewed on 6/1/17

Poured out into a Brewery Ommegang tulip style glass

A jazzy, well carbonated pour, lots of crazy bubbles bouncing around the temporary foam cap. The foam fizzles out fast and is totally gone in seconds. The color has a light amber with golden hued appearance.

A classic Samichlaus aroma, very , very malty sweet. Wet cardboard, maple syrup, brown sugar, earthy-sour punch, dates and black pepper with some dank fruits mixed in.

Wickedly sweet malt bomb! Wild honey and brown sugar all over this heavy but delightful malt complexity. Reminds me very much of the sweetness of mead. Raw honey with some excellent, old-woody tones, even slightly smokey. Like honey smoked bbq suace. But somehow, some way remaining rather light textured. It does nit hit the palate as heavy or thick, the malty sweetness coats the palate but is not heavy. There is a wonderful, zippy, earthy, dry and very peppery effect thst really balances out the malt in both taste and mouthfeel. Zesty, earthy hops and yeast just explodes with complexity! A big dose of white pepper gives a righteous grounding effect. The complexity is out of this world !

Such a unique beer, this is not your standard Helles. More like an Imperial Helles.
The 14% abv. Is clearly achieved by a very active yeast and loads of sweet malt. The alcohol is pleasantly warming and adds an extra layer of complexity. A serious after dinner sipper worthy of the grandest occasion. Lay a few down for that special "wow" factor for any beer geek gathering!

4.67/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I remember when Samichlaus was the strongest beer available. I was an early US Navy retiree & a transfer sophomore at Pitt, living at the Centre Plaza Apartments, further from campus than I liked, but close to the Sharp Edge Beer Emporium in (ahem) Shadyside, really, Slibberty. Friday nights, I would take a seat at the left end of the bar, just inside the door, now reconfigured, and be joined by two other regulars. We would routinely split the bigger, more expensive bottles just so that we could say that we tried that beer. Samiclhlaus night saw me nearly freeze to death on the way home! Let us see if I fare any better today.

From the bottle: "The World's Most Extraordinary Beverage"; "Bottled in 2015"; "Samichlaus (R) is brewed only once a year on December 6, and is aged for 10 months before bottling. It is one of the rarest specialties in the world. Samichlaus (R) may be aged in the bottle for many years to come, as older vintages become more complex. Brilliant deep amber, complex dry toasted malt nose and huge intensely sweet palate."

Helles, who needs drugs?!? No, really, who needs drugs? I'm holding! F'rilz, though, this is clearly no playing around. I carefully tore off the scored part of the neck label to expose the cap & carefully prised that off & open. I am taking this one very seriously & slowly, so a gentle pour was in the offing. Once a sufficient amount had been decanted into the glass, I gave it an aggressive swirl, raising a VERY brief finger of foamy, tawny head that could not wait to fall back to wisps. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity.

Nose smelled EXACTLY like freshly-kneaded bread dough on the rise! I took Foods in HomeEc as a teenager & I loved baking. In fact, I was thinking of going to the Culinary Institute of America before I got sidetracked & went into the Navy, instead. I still like to bake more than any other type of cooking, so I know the smell well. I took just a small sip on my tongue and first sat bolt upright & then slumped down in my chair as the immensity of this beer hit me! Jeez-O, man. The fusel alcohol heat was enormous on my tongue, burning away all of those weak, dead, unsuspecting taste buds that had been lingering around since the last purge. Phew! My fellow monks used to refer to Hellesbocks/Doppelbocks as 'liquid bread" since one glass of this before sunrise would hold them over until after sunset during the fasting within the period of the Lenten season. I am less formal in my adherence, but I can see how this would get you where you are going & in one quick hurry! Wow!

There was an inherent honey-like sweetness from the malt that just intensified the breadiness, reminding me of my late-maternal grandmother's biscuits with honey, especially in the summer. She was the one who initially turned me onto baking & we became a pretty good team, with her oven churning out everything from breads, biscuits & cookies to casseroles & soufflés. I know that some of it was new & foreign to her, but man, did we cook! I never mastered her prowess with Pot Roast & I prefer to do mine in a crock pot, but her recipe for meat loaf was spot on. I realize that I digress, but I am trying to kill some time with this beer as drinking it quickly would be a mistake.

Warming, the beer took on a thick, heavy mouthfeel so that each draught felt like a dollop of honey on my tongue. Or a drizzle. Maybe I should decant some into a bottle & let it drip into my mouth. Maybe I can talk Mayor Brie McCheese into doing this on her next visit. Jee-zus! If dynamite comes in small packages, then this must be C-4 in 11.2 fl. oz. form! It is a good thing that I do this for a living. This beer begs for an accompaniment, perhaps sharp cheese or cured meats or both. Warming, it takes on a slight perfumey/flowery aspect, like violets, especially in the summer. It has twice evoked summer, so if I ever get another bottle, I may save it for that season. Finish had a heat that I imagine would smooth over, given sufficient time in the bottle. My bottle was over a year old, hence my thinking that it was ready for consumption. Mais non! This could have easily gone another two years. Mmm. My lips are sticky, my mind is whacky & this review needs to be put in the books.

4.65/5  rDev +23.3%

This is very similar to the original samichlaus but sweeter and lighter.

A- Red amber with little head.

S- Brown sugar with notes of cherry and cinamon. Hints of vanilla.

T- Caramel and toffee with hints of vanilla and cherry. Some cinamon. Raw sugar.

M- Sticky and creamy. Almost cloying.

D- Strong but alcohol well hidden. Definitely a sipping beer. Slightly easier to drink that the original. Lighter and alcohol masked better. Sweeter.

Samichlaus Bier Helles from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg