Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Samichlaus Bier Helles | Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

schloss-eggenberg.at

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Added by mikesgroove on 11-25-2007

4.67/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

11.2 fl. Oz. Bottle 2015 vintage.reviewed on 6/1/17

Poured out into a Brewery Ommegang tulip style glass

A jazzy, well carbonated pour, lots of crazy bubbles bouncing around the temporary foam cap. The foam fizzles out fast and is totally gone in seconds. The color has a light amber with golden hued appearance.

A classic Samichlaus aroma, very , very malty sweet. Wet cardboard, maple syrup, brown sugar, earthy-sour punch, dates and black pepper with some dank fruits mixed in.

Wickedly sweet malt bomb! Wild honey and brown sugar all over this heavy but delightful malt complexity. Reminds me very much of the sweetness of mead. Raw honey with some excellent, old-woody tones, even slightly smokey. Like honey smoked bbq suace. But somehow, some way remaining rather light textured. It does nit hit the palate as heavy or thick, the malty sweetness coats the palate but is not heavy. There is a wonderful, zippy, earthy, dry and very peppery effect thst really balances out the malt in both taste and mouthfeel. Zesty, earthy hops and yeast just explodes with complexity! A big dose of white pepper gives a righteous grounding effect. The complexity is out of this world !

Such a unique beer, this is not your standard Helles. More like an Imperial Helles.
The 14% abv. Is clearly achieved by a very active yeast and loads of sweet malt. The alcohol is pleasantly warming and adds an extra layer of complexity. A serious after dinner sipper worthy of the grandest occasion. Lay a few down for that special "wow" factor for any beer geek gathering!

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Samichclaus Helles (2013) - Brewed and bottled once a year on December 6th. Aged 10 months. Then sent out. This is the peak of rare and the at the limits until very recently of ABV at 14%. Pours an amber hazy opaque with slight carbonation. A thin head that reduces to strong albeit thin laced lines. It smells of fruit cake, Slavic candy, and gelatin. A slight biscuit aroma every now and then. A little rum. On the nose it's all candy, gelatin, and fruit cake. Overwhelming doses of sugar and a some spice. Mid-palate is Swedish fish and bubble gum. A slight pop of rum and doughnuts. At the back rum, raisins, and candied yams. Some cookie dough. How can so much alcohol be so candy? It's mind boggling. So smooth. Hints of Russian hard candy, Polish jelly candy, and some lingering bubble gum. After taste of rum cake. Hints of rum. Your head gets warm. your mouth and throat gets warm. Slight alcohol sting. Again, not enough to reveal just how strong it is. A few sips though and the head warming grows. A subtle numbing in the mouth. A growing taste of rum and Western European sweets. It's bottled Christmas. Amazing. 4.5 out of 5.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Crystal clear, copper colored body; big fizzy head that rapidly fades to a faint wisp within a few seconds. Oak and caramel aroma. Big sweetness with some burnt sugar edges in the flavor; brown sugar; dried apricot and figs lurking deep within the taste; some alcohol presence. Very heavy body; chewy; warm and toasty.

This beer should be classified as a Euro Strong Lager as the color and ABV put this way out of the maibock classification it's listed under as of this review. This is a massive beer all around. The color shows a deep amber while the smell is rich and inviting. The taste showcases a lot of malt character and does an excellent job of balancing the high alcohol level. An intense yet approachable strong ale sipper.

3.93/5  rDev +4%

By far the oldest beer I've had. 11.2 oz bottled 2007. Bought this week unrefridgerated of a store shelf. The head didn't last long enough to catch in the photo. The beer pours brown with ruby highlights when held to light. The nose is mostly alcohol but smooth. Tastes more like a desert wine with hints of toffee and dark fruit. Mouthfeel is soft, hot, smooth and amazingly not overly sweet. Overall, fantastic, but I'm not sure this beer qualifies as a maibock fresh. Aged 10 years, definitely not.

4.67/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I remember when Samichlaus was the strongest beer available. I was an early US Navy retiree & a transfer sophomore at Pitt, living at the Centre Plaza Apartments, further from campus than I liked, but close to the Sharp Edge Beer Emporium in (ahem) Shadyside, really, Slibberty. Friday nights, I would take a seat at the left end of the bar, just inside the door, now reconfigured, and be joined by two other regulars. We would routinely split the bigger, more expensive bottles just so that we could say that we tried that beer. Samiclhlaus night saw me nearly freeze to death on the way home! Let us see if I fare any better today.

From the bottle: "The World's Most Extraordinary Beverage"; "Bottled in 2015"; "Samichlaus (R) is brewed only once a year on December 6, and is aged for 10 months before bottling. It is one of the rarest specialties in the world. Samichlaus (R) may be aged in the bottle for many years to come, as older vintages become more complex. Brilliant deep amber, complex dry toasted malt nose and huge intensely sweet palate."

Helles, who needs drugs?!? No, really, who needs drugs? I'm holding! F'rilz, though, this is clearly no playing around. I carefully tore off the scored part of the neck label to expose the cap & carefully prised that off & open. I am taking this one very seriously & slowly, so a gentle pour was in the offing. Once a sufficient amount had been decanted into the glass, I gave it an aggressive swirl, raising a VERY brief finger of foamy, tawny head that could not wait to fall back to wisps. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity.

Nose smelled EXACTLY like freshly-kneaded bread dough on the rise! I took Foods in HomeEc as a teenager & I loved baking. In fact, I was thinking of going to the Culinary Institute of America before I got sidetracked & went into the Navy, instead. I still like to bake more than any other type of cooking, so I know the smell well. I took just a small sip on my tongue and first sat bolt upright & then slumped down in my chair as the immensity of this beer hit me! Jeez-O, man. The fusel alcohol heat was enormous on my tongue, burning away all of those weak, dead, unsuspecting taste buds that had been lingering around since the last purge. Phew! My fellow monks used to refer to Hellesbocks/Doppelbocks as 'liquid bread" since one glass of this before sunrise would hold them over until after sunset during the fasting within the period of the Lenten season. I am less formal in my adherence, but I can see how this would get you where you are going & in one quick hurry! Wow!

There was an inherent honey-like sweetness from the malt that just intensified the breadiness, reminding me of my late-maternal grandmother's biscuits with honey, especially in the summer. She was the one who initially turned me onto baking & we became a pretty good team, with her oven churning out everything from breads, biscuits & cookies to casseroles & soufflés. I know that some of it was new & foreign to her, but man, did we cook! I never mastered her prowess with Pot Roast & I prefer to do mine in a crock pot, but her recipe for meat loaf was spot on. I realize that I digress, but I am trying to kill some time with this beer as drinking it quickly would be a mistake.

Warming, the beer took on a thick, heavy mouthfeel so that each draught felt like a dollop of honey on my tongue. Or a drizzle. Maybe I should decant some into a bottle & let it drip into my mouth. Maybe I can talk Mayor Brie McCheese into doing this on her next visit. Jee-zus! If dynamite comes in small packages, then this must be C-4 in 11.2 fl. oz. form! It is a good thing that I do this for a living. This beer begs for an accompaniment, perhaps sharp cheese or cured meats or both. Warming, it takes on a slight perfumey/flowery aspect, like violets, especially in the summer. It has twice evoked summer, so if I ever get another bottle, I may save it for that season. Finish had a heat that I imagine would smooth over, given sufficient time in the bottle. My bottle was over a year old, hence my thinking that it was ready for consumption. Mais non! This could have easily gone another two years. Mmm. My lips are sticky, my mind is whacky & this review needs to be put in the books.

4.36/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have been looking for beers from Samichlaus for awhile, but it seems that this is a hard to come by brand. I got lucky and went to a store that specializes in hard to find beers-- and sure enough they had these in 4-packs of 11.2oz bottles, so of course I had to pick these up.

Smell is very malty, and has bread to back it up. Taste is molasses up front, then malt, honey, and caramel. Beer feel is minimal carbonation, thick, with a moderate aftertaste-- 'syrup like' keeps coming to mind to best describe the overall feel. Alcohol warmth is present throughout the mouthful, but very well blended with the overall beer.

This is a very heavy feeling version of a doppelbock IMO. I haven't tried any other Samichlaus beer styles to compare it to, but the alcohol content (14%) combined with the overall sweet taste, and heavy feel make it more like a treat you sip and enjoy. This could also make a very good Winter beer too. I will get more of these, seeing as I know where to find them now.

4.19/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into stem glass. No head to speak of. Bubbles, no lace. Amber color.

Tart nose, with bready malt undertones.

Again, some fruit flavors, plum & white grape, mixed with sourdough, honey, and a caramel sweet.

Low carb mouth, very smooth.

A lighter, less balanced version of the classic beer, albeit one that is still strong in flavor and ABV, and still more potent than most doppelbocks.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.04/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled in 2013. Pours clear, dark tan in color, with minimal head. Smell is honey and alcohol...not really inviting. Taste is much much better. Taste is bready malt, port, apricot, and big honey. Heavy bodied and slick, medium-low carbonation, sweet but not overly so. Tasty and really different than regular Samichlaus. A true malt bomb. A sipper and definitely worth trying if you appreciate ports like I do. Well worth seeking out.

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%

This beer poured a light copper color with an extremely thin white head.

The aroma was very sweet, sugary with a lot of alcohol, and maybe some pear... appropriate since the beer looks like juice.

The initial taste is very sweet and light, but the middle comes through quickly, and it is all alcohol. It finishes with a slight touch of pear.

The mouthfeel was crisp.

Honestly, other than a difference in mouthfeel and the fact that it is a bit lighter, I couldn't notice much difference between this and their Schwartzbier variety. The next time I buy one of these, I am going to let it age for about a year before drinking to see if the flavors can poke out from behind all that alcohol.

4.13/5  rDev +9.3%

It is very nice being able to finally be able to buy beers like this in Ohio since the state's stupid 12% AVB limit finally ended about 4 months ago now. Poured out of an 11.2 oz. bottle into one of my mugs, this beer pours a clear, medium golden/copper color with lots of little bubbles continuously and fairly rapidly rising to the beer's surface along with a white head that's about an inch thick when first poured that fairly quickly settles to medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass along with a medium sized cluster swirl of a film layer of foam. Aromas of grassy, sweet caramel sweetness along with some darker fruit notes. Some fig perhaps? The taste is pretty much the same, with grassy, somewhat grainy, caramel malt sweetness, along with some fig like fruitiness, a bit of spice, and certainly a bit of booze. Has a fairly crisp, prickly, also smooth and slightly frothy, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Dangerously drinkable for the 14% AVB. A pretty good beer here.

Eric

4.04/5  rDev +6.9%

Clear gold with one plus finger of white head that lasts about five minutes.
Smell is grassy and malty.
Taste is sweet malts with an aftertaste of light grassy hops.
Mouthfeel is heavy with good carbonation. Finish is sweet and lingering.
Overall a sweet and tasty beer. Alcohol is well hidden. Watch out!

4.02/5  rDev +6.3%

No head. Bit thin bodied. Good sugar and spice Christmas type beer, but not one I'd want every day.

3.35/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It's one of my top 5 of all beers, so I should give it a 5 , but I'm being reasonable.
I LOVE TBIS BREW !! :) :) :)

4.58/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2014 Vintage
A - unique orange color with light white head that dissipates quickly
S - nice sweetness
T - similar sweetness of apricot and vinous sherry or port
M - slightly sticky
O - very good if you like a sweet beer - similar to an excellent aged old ale

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.56/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Samichlaus Bier Helles from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg