Samichlaus Bier Helles | Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

schloss-eggenberg.at

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Added by mikesgroove on 11-25-2007

3.21/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear, honey-colored body with a tiny white head.

Smell: Sweetish, candylike aroma with notes of peach schnapps, sugar-coated matls, and booze.

Taste: Sugary sweet malts with a taste of dark fruits soaked in alcohol. The beer gives you a sly wink then pours some grain alcohol down your gullet. Slight peppery hint. Sweetness of the finish doesn't disguise its harshness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Slight stickiness.

Drinkability: Many of these high ABV beers are a joy to drink and deftly hide their alchol amidst a truly succulent taste. The Samichlaus Helles is neither of those! As with its darker brother, hopefully some time locked away will bring some sense to it.

4.16/5  rDev +10.3%

I sat on this one a few months to cellar, but now I can't wait any more! Here goes:

Pours a noisy & effervescent golden honey with 2 fingers of beige head. No head & a bit of lacing

S: Fruitty & bready & clean booze & fussell alcohol, slight smokeyness

T: Some honey, dates, apricot & nice breadyness up front. More honey, grainyness, pineapple & passion fruit all show as this warms. Finishes with loads of honey, tropical fruit,& booze

MF: Chewy with vigirous carbonation, a little too much, some syruppy notes, great warming sensations, reminds me of a young mead in many respects

Drinkability is fantastic for the ABV & pretty good for the style, nice digestive/nightcap dopple, not one to trifle with or to attempt to session on! Next time I see it I will buy more & hide them from myself & see how the aging improves or doesn't this fine dopple

3.13/5  rDev -17%

"The World's Most Extraordinary Beverage."

--label

Bottled in 2007 (the first since 1986). Radiant tangerine with barely one finger of ivory colored cream created on the high-altitude pour. Guess we can blame the high ABV and the lack of hop resins for the diminutive crown... that is now nearly gone. Needless to day, no lace is seen on the snifter.

The nose makes almost no impact. At least not of a positive nature. Each sniff delivers very lightly toasted pale grains with a surprisingly subtle contribution from ethanol. Not sure what the flavor hook is going to be.

Samichlaus Helles tastes like a higher-quality malt liquor. In fact, is says 'malt liquor' right there on the label. Yeah, probably just some government regulation or some such. It's definitely sweet and the alcohol is buried better than expected.

As feared, there isn't much here to get excited about from a flavor standpoint. Tons of dark malts (big stouts) and tons of hops (IPAs) are right in my wheelhouse, but tons of pale malt has never really done it for me. Specifics include rock candy, lightly toasted bread soaked in sugar syrup, and a splash of honey (mead-like). Simple as a stone.

The mouthfeel finds that sweet-spot between big enough and not too big. It's fullish and lush without being ponderous, and the bubbles are finely spritzy... which works because they're softened by all the malt sugars.

Samichlaus Helles, in my humble opinion, is light years away from being the world's most extraordinary beverage. It's a decent sipper if you're into high-octane beer, but that's where it ends. I'm okay if Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg wants to wait another 21 years between bottlings.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

330 ml bottle poured into a snifter

Ok so I saw this one on the shelf and was a little curious. At first I by passed it as it looked the same as a regular but then noticed it was a special edition so I had to pick one up. It poured a nice pale golden yellow with a smallish head that faded quickly. The aroma was full of malt and grass like smells with a touch of alcohol, but that is to be expected. The flavor was much sweeter then I thought it would be with a nice rounded caramel tone a good amount of brandy like alcohol thrown in. Some bready and cereal like malt base making up the rest with a sweet sugary finish that was sprikled with a touch of floralness. Overall this was a good bit different then the normal, seemed to be a bit sweeter, defintly lighter looking and a touch hotter with the alcohol. Very intresting find and will have to go back to the store and grab a couple more.

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Bottled in 2007.

a - Pours a murky orangish/amber color with low carbonation and about a half inch of white head that quickly leaves.

s - Smells of sweet, dark fruits including plums, raisins, and maybe cherries. Also some oak, malts, and booze, although not as much as I was expecting considering it is 14% ABV.

t - Dark fruits, booze, malts, some spices, and maybe a tiny bit of chocolate even. The alcohol was a lot more prominent in the taste than it was in the nose.

m - Medium body with low carbonation. Some alcohol warmth, but not as much as you'd think considering it's 14% ABV.

d - Middle of the road for me. I enojoyed the smell more than the taste, as the alcohol came out a little too much in the taste and feel to me. I have one bottle left that is in my cellar that I plan on holding onto for a few years to see what happens, but right now I wouldn't look to drink it again.

4.67/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I remember when Samichlaus was the strongest beer available. I was an early US Navy retiree & a transfer sophomore at Pitt, living at the Centre Plaza Apartments, further from campus than I liked, but close to the Sharp Edge Beer Emporium in (ahem) Shadyside, really, Slibberty. Friday nights, I would take a seat at the left end of the bar, just inside the door, now reconfigured, and be joined by two other regulars. We would routinely split the bigger, more expensive bottles just so that we could say that we tried that beer. Samiclhlaus night saw me nearly freeze to death on the way home! Let us see if I fare any better today.

From the bottle: "The World's Most Extraordinary Beverage"; "Bottled in 2015"; "Samichlaus (R) is brewed only once a year on December 6, and is aged for 10 months before bottling. It is one of the rarest specialties in the world. Samichlaus (R) may be aged in the bottle for many years to come, as older vintages become more complex. Brilliant deep amber, complex dry toasted malt nose and huge intensely sweet palate."

Helles, who needs drugs?!? No, really, who needs drugs? I'm holding! F'rilz, though, this is clearly no playing around. I carefully tore off the scored part of the neck label to expose the cap & carefully prised that off & open. I am taking this one very seriously & slowly, so a gentle pour was in the offing. Once a sufficient amount had been decanted into the glass, I gave it an aggressive swirl, raising a VERY brief finger of foamy, tawny head that could not wait to fall back to wisps. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity.

Nose smelled EXACTLY like freshly-kneaded bread dough on the rise! I took Foods in HomeEc as a teenager & I loved baking. In fact, I was thinking of going to the Culinary Institute of America before I got sidetracked & went into the Navy, instead. I still like to bake more than any other type of cooking, so I know the smell well. I took just a small sip on my tongue and first sat bolt upright & then slumped down in my chair as the immensity of this beer hit me! Jeez-O, man. The fusel alcohol heat was enormous on my tongue, burning away all of those weak, dead, unsuspecting taste buds that had been lingering around since the last purge. Phew! My fellow monks used to refer to Hellesbocks/Doppelbocks as 'liquid bread" since one glass of this before sunrise would hold them over until after sunset during the fasting within the period of the Lenten season. I am less formal in my adherence, but I can see how this would get you where you are going & in one quick hurry! Wow!

There was an inherent honey-like sweetness from the malt that just intensified the breadiness, reminding me of my late-maternal grandmother's biscuits with honey, especially in the summer. She was the one who initially turned me onto baking & we became a pretty good team, with her oven churning out everything from breads, biscuits & cookies to casseroles & soufflés. I know that some of it was new & foreign to her, but man, did we cook! I never mastered her prowess with Pot Roast & I prefer to do mine in a crock pot, but her recipe for meat loaf was spot on. I realize that I digress, but I am trying to kill some time with this beer as drinking it quickly would be a mistake.

Warming, the beer took on a thick, heavy mouthfeel so that each draught felt like a dollop of honey on my tongue. Or a drizzle. Maybe I should decant some into a bottle & let it drip into my mouth. Maybe I can talk Mayor Brie McCheese into doing this on her next visit. Jee-zus! If dynamite comes in small packages, then this must be C-4 in 11.2 fl. oz. form! It is a good thing that I do this for a living. This beer begs for an accompaniment, perhaps sharp cheese or cured meats or both. Warming, it takes on a slight perfumey/flowery aspect, like violets, especially in the summer. It has twice evoked summer, so if I ever get another bottle, I may save it for that season. Finish had a heat that I imagine would smooth over, given sufficient time in the bottle. My bottle was over a year old, hence my thinking that it was ready for consumption. Mais non! This could have easily gone another two years. Mmm. My lips are sticky, my mind is whacky & this review needs to be put in the books.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 1 pt. 9 fl oz. bottle into a Libbey style pilsner glass. Vintage 2012 marked on the bottle.

Light bodied amber, hints of copper and orange with a bit of chestnut brown, quite light in appearance than most doppels. Great and nice even streams of carbonation rising in the middle and on the edges. Head is very fleeting, tan in color, but with hardly and retention. Dissolves normally but leaves a finer lighter and whiter colored collar while sitting.

Real exquisite nose. Was concerned about heat and booze but it's anything but. Large toffee and gooey caramel thickness aromas, spicy clove and nutmeg with hints of light butterscotch to go with it. Smells like a sundae real inviting, and just a bit warm but not overly so.

Palate is really not what I expected. Huge amounts of sweetness, I am talking very sweet but at least tolerable. Fruity action of plum, raisin, even some cherry mixing with light toffee. Surprisingly not thick in the palate or syrupy as the nose might want to indicate. Finishes incredibly clean and soft malt caramel, almost like a nice glaze. So well hidden abv and not the slightest bit boozy.

This is a surprisingly well created brew that is just so well in control and complex. Not everyones cup a tea but this is extremely impressive beer.

3.43/5  rDev -9%

2007 vintage:

Pours golden with a thin head that becomes a patch - decent head retention for the abv.

The smell is of sweet grain, alcohol and some fruitiness.

The taste is of sweet grain - Helles-style, boozy alcohol, grapey and some caramel. Finishes sweet.

Syrupy, though not too sticky.

A slow, slow sipper. A bit raw, maybe aging would mellow the sharpness of it. Interesting to a degree, though not in a complex way. I didn't enjoy this as much as the other Samichlaus.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

I didn't even know this existed, until I saw someone order it at the bar I'm marooned at while the rain pours down. So, here I go, a drinkin'...

Clear amber color, smallish white head, stick around a bit...

Aroma: clean and lightly fruity, peach and apple, apricot and herbs...

Drink it already!....Boom! Big fat malt, huge fruity flavor, little hops, nothing but enormous malt and alcohol. Slick, sweet, clean. Yum. Light bodied, lean, sweet, malty lager....way over-sized booze. Incredible, formidable, intense. Burning fruit roasts the palate, clean and mean, ...yum, and hot! yum, and fierce! yum, and POW!

Mmmm, all 14 % blonde doppelbocks should be this good!

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

10/23/08- Purchased at Ledger's in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle, bottled in 2007. Poured into my Trois Pistoles goblet.

Appearance- Lighter copper in color. Pours with a 3/4 inch light foamy head on a hard pour, which soon fades to a very slight rim. Leaves light spotty lace.

Smell- Kinda has a good smell and an odd smell at the same time. Not really outgoing with sugary caramel notes and a wet dog fur nose.

Taste- Very rich and caramely. No real hops involved, but lots and lots of smooth roasted caramel malts. Maybe a slash of orange liquor like flavor as well. Drambuie?

Mouthfeel- Very smooth with a medium to slight lower carbonation level. Warming with a full mouthfeel.

Drinkability- Alcohol is nicely hidden in this one. Really hard to keep from chugging this rather than sipping. Super easy to drink. Will have again in the future. $4.99 price tag.

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Thanks goes out to Hojaminbag for this brew.

11.2 oz. Bottle
Bottled In: 2007

Pours a very nice clean/clear golden color, very nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, sweet, nice little spice note, and caramel. The taste is sweet, malty, alittle spicy, with some nice caramel notes. Medium Body. Very Drinkable, this one is very tasty, a true delight. Thanks Ben.

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: clear orange in color with a 1/2" head that falls to a spotty surface foam. A few carbonatin bubbles slowly rise fro the bottom of the glass.

Smell: sweet fruits and honey are easily detectable. Alcohol is mildly noticeable.

Taste: big malt base with caramel, honey, green grapes, and pears provide the sweetness and there is a mild bitterness that tries to balance it out. Alcohol is strong and imparts a strong warming feeling.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Syrupy and smooth throughout. Super long aftertaste as the sweetness and alcohol seem to last for minutes after swallowing.

Drinkability: a malty high alcohol beer that is a very slow sipper. One is enough in any session.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Received through a trade with ironbike1. Bottled in 2007. Poured from a bottle into a Samichlaus Bier glass (I'm a glassware bad ass, don't you love the correct glass?). Beer is light amber in color, head forms quickly and disappears just as quickly, leaving nothing behind. No head, no lacing, nothing. Carbonation is mild to weak, this is expected though. Bubbles form around the lower bowl of the glass, beer is clear, completely clear.

Aroma is a little off putting unfortunately. Initially there was a sulfur flavor to it. This is quickly replaced with some alcohol / sweetness and some malt character. The aroma overall is not strong. Time to drink.

Sweet, strong. Wow, this beer actually made me cough when I sipped it. Probably not a good sign. Second taste was considerably better. Much more pronounced sweetness, some raisin like character, great malt body. Mouthfeel is good, not thin at all like you might expect with a 14% beer. Not dry like you might expect with a 14% beer. Just a great full body and high drinkability. This beer seems lighter than the other Samichlaus doppelbock I've previously reviewed and am currently aging. A great rarity for me.

I imagine this beer would age well, removed the warmth from the front end and mellow out the solvency of the flavors. This is a relatively young for a Sami.

3.94/5  rDev +4.5%

A lighter (?) version of their classic,with an amber body but all the kick of the sweet malt. ABV not really noticeable. Creamy head, nice lacing. Sweet malt aroma and taste., also on the finish. Alcohol sneaks up on you at the end.

2.95/5  rDev -21.8%

Bottled 2007

Looks a clear gold, without much head retention. The aroma is of white grape and sweet, bready malt. The flavor and mouthfeel is rough to say the least. There's a strong, dry alcohol flavor, in line with watered-down vodka. The malt just comes off like a very concentrated light lager with caramel malt ad a touch of grassy hops. It's not all-out offensive, but I won't be finishing this one. I'll return to this one after I let a bottle mellow for a year or two.

4.06/5  rDev +7.7%

It's hard to beleive that the last year this beer was available, I was in diapers. Distinctive red labeling allows this beer to stand out on shelves better, and one I've been wanting to try after enjoying its darker sibling. On to the beer:

The body is deep filtered gold, topped by a short head that goes away quickly. There's some pale malt and lightly perceived alcohol in the nose, surprisingly light on the nose given its strength. It also tasted lighter than expected too, but wow, 14% ABV has never been so easy to drink! Sugary sweet with intense vanilla, doses of pale malts, and alcohol. Not as complex as one might hope, but the brewers did an excellent job mixing the alcohol into the overal flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and moderate, "lightly syurpy", and not over the top.

While it isn't as interesting as the darker stuff, this bright beer is a lethal alcohol delivery system thanks to its incredible drinkability. Treat this bottle with respect and enjoy!

Samichlaus Bier Helles from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg