Samichlaus Classic Bier | Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg
Austria
schloss-eggenberg.at

Style: Doppelbock

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

Added by UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001

Liked:
4.02/5
Alströms:
4.5

Ratings: 2,056 |  Reviews: 1,101

Paid $4.50 for an 11.2 oz bottle.

This is Malt Liquor but it's no Colt 45. Big Beer with a nice syrupy sweet aroma and quite drinkable.

Reddish orange color. No head at all.

Sweet syrupy liquer aroma and taste. Taste the sugar. Sharp little alcohol kick. Warming.

A great nightcap. Very drinkable.

Bottled in 2000. inspection of the bottle reveals this is 11.2 FL OZ brewed in Austria. Tear the paper, pop the cap and pour the deep garnet, viscous liquid into the glass, slight head that fades to nothing immediately. Soda-like fizz and then no visible carbonation. initial aroma is dark fruit, prune, sherry. A wisp of smoke. Fades a bit after the initial pour. First sip reveals a hearty mouthful. Sweet caramel malt with more dark fruit notes, sweetness lingers on the tip of the tongue and alcohol afterburn coats the throat.

A sipper for sure, I think I'll wait until the dead of winter to crack open another one of these bellywarmers.

Lager meets sweetened spiced wine. A good thing to have in small amounts a couple times a year. Not sure I would want more than a little at a time.

Eggshell foam builds up and crackles audibly, lasts for a second, then dissipates to a thin ring. The body is very high clarity, and shines a bright orange-red.

Sweet apple in the aroma with brandy vapors coming off of it. A touch of fruit cocktail behind that, leading into apple liqueur flavors. The alcohol is strong in the flavor, and warms like whiskey after the swallow. Sweet is the key word, some light caramel and apple notes, smothered under the warming alcoholic blanket. This would definitely cellar well, and would be recommended for a year or more.

It paired well with pecan pie, and i'm sure any sweet dessert would offset the alcohol a bit, making it more palatable.

2007 vintage, $6 from Vrai Amour wine shop in Chicago.

Uh, sugar beer? Wow. My bottle was bottled in 2007, bought (obviously) in 2011 - it was the only one on the shelf, and it had never been there before, so I had to try it.
Hard to review because it is quite unlike any other beer I've ever had.
Purchased a new bottle (2010 bottling) for comparison.

A: Looked like the color of any other dark ale - made me think of some barleywines and grand crus I've had. But no head whatsoever. No lacing. Orange-brown. The head around the inside edge of the glass (all that there was of a head) was a thin white stripe. Motes of lace slid back down into the drink immediately.

S: coffee, toffee, maple, sugar. Reminds me of pastries and bourbon.

T: sweet. I have had sweet beer before - bourbon county stout, imperial whites and imperial stouts, some others - but all those had a syrupy, thick, rich, almost nutritious feel - this was like, brown sugar water. I didn't taste the alcohol at all, but based on the number of typos I've been correcting as I've typed, uh, the alcohol is obviously there. (Starting to think I should leave the typos in to show you). Noticed that more flavors and aromas were present in the 2010 bottle than the 2007 bottle. Both equally sweet, neither harsh, obviously, but the 2010 bottle had a teensy bit of bit/astringency, whereas I don't recall any from the 2007 bottle.

M: Thin. Watery. Light. No carbonation to speak of. An unusual brew. I could totally see drinking this at Christmas in Austria around a fire with pastries and treats. I mean, it is like drinking (I have no other frame of reference) maple sugar water - not like anything else I've tried.

O: In retrospect as I compare the two bottles, and in light of the many good beers I've had between the two, I would say this beer is worth trying, but a little too watery/sweet for my tastes. I like the idea of this beer more than the drinking of it.

On tap at The Flying Pig...
Appears a dark brown with mahogany and red hues when held to the light. A small, light tan head of foam dies out into a mild cap and collar.
Smell is extremely malty with rich molasses, cherries, cocoa, cream, toffee, caramel, and tobacco.
Taste is a smooth but warming version of the mentioned aromas. I used to really love this beer aged in the bottle. I'm unsure of the vintage date on the keg but I'm assuming it's fairly new.
Mouthfeel is smooth, warming, sitcky sweet of syrup, along with over ripe fruit and cocoa infused caramel bouncing along the palate with a gentle alcahol burn.

Samichlaus Classic Bier from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg