Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg
Austria
schloss-eggenberg.at

Style: Doppelbock

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

Added by UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001

4.5

Ratings: 2,058 |  Reviews: 1,101
2.11/5  rDev -47.5%

Fruity and winey. There's a bit of a cough syrup thing happening here? Sadly I'm not so sure I'm into this one. Maybe I'm not being fair? I don't have a lot of experience with doppelbocks. But I know what I like and I feel like this was wasted on me.

2.19/5  rDev -45.5%

A - Deep, clear brown brew with a red-orange tint. Head lasts for mere moments and dissipates to a flat surface. No lacing.

S - Sweet grape juice, prunes, caramel malt sugars and alcohol.

T - A bit of fruit and a lot of malt - not to mention the alcohol. The aftertaste is a light fruity bitterness with some lingering, almost medicinal, sweet fruitiness.

M - Smooth, medium bodied, frothy and a bit refreshing. The alcohol does take its toll though.

D - It is absurbly strong and not that good. I will pass in the future. Not a chore to finish though. Not really worth seeking out.

2.23/5  rDev -44.5%

This is an extreme brew that is simply not to my taste.

Pours clear amber brown under a short-lived head that quickly gives way to a thin ring, no lace.

Nose is sweet, dark fruit. And lots of alcohol.

Crazy sweet to drink, to the point of being distracting. Raisins. Heavy mouthfeel. Boozy.

Similar to a barleywine. It is simply not for me. Too one dimensional in character - straight syrup and alcohol.

2.25/5  rDev -44%

2001 version: Red/Orange beer with a VERY sweet bouquet that can't quite hide alcohol content. The taste is very strong in alcohol, I didnt expect it to be well hidden like in many trappists ales, but here it really seems like we have liqueur-like alcohol sticking to candy, syrup, wood. I don't understand most people's passion about this beer or it wasn't old enough, too sweet.

2.28/5  rDev -43.3%

Picked this up at Ammersino Feine Getränke in Vienna, Austria. Crystal clear ruby-amber pour with really quickly fading thin head and minimal lacing. The nose is all malt with hints of orange, dark fruits, rasins and alcohol. The taste is just one huge, syrupy, sickly sweet malt bomb. Very complex with tons of dark fruits, maple syrup, orange jello, caramel, toffee, candy, molasses, cherries and brown sugar. The alcohol is overwhelming. Thick, syrupy, oily, and extremely rich mouthfeel combined with the over the top sweetness makes this nearly undrinkable for me. I'm shocked at the reviews. I know this is considered a world class beer, but I don't get it.

2.28/5  rDev -43.3%

A: A dark ruby/garnett color. Head disappeared quickly as expected. Alcohol legs showing.

S: Sweet....alcohol.

T: Sweet....alcohol.

M: Sticky...alcohol burn.

O: Drain pour. One and done. Tried it and did not like. Don't understand the hype. If I want strong alcohol...I'll take a rum or tequila.

2.29/5  rDev -43%

this beer is the 6 december 2004 bottling.

i'm not sure i see how this beer is true to the style if general ABV is 6.5 to 9.0...it was a gorgeous pour but smell and taste are sickengly sweet, alcoholic burn, and candy fumes. one taste is one-dimensionally interesting...not balanced or full-bodied, you just want to swallow it as quickly as possible.

it was worth trying this bad boy to get an idea for it but i like a beer to exhibit some complexity or interesting notes...the world's strangest beer is tough to get down...maybe longer aging makes for a more well-rounded experience? not recommended...

2.3/5  rDev -42.8%

Bottled in 2013

Whiskey taste mixed with kind of liqorish chocolate, too sweet for my taste, its absolutely not what i am loking for in a beer. Wont try it ever again

2.36/5  rDev -41.3%

The world's strongets lager? Well you have to taste it. Iit poured with very little foam and a red amber color. The smell was of fruits and candy. It tasted very sweet and fruity, almost like some kind of thin syrup. An alcohol burn in the throat. This beer needs the right man/woman to be appreciated. I'm sorry but I couldn't finish it. If they changed the name into something like Rambo 10 000 it would be a big seller in India!

2.38/5  rDev -40.8%

Ok.. Here we go. I've had this sitting in my fridge forever. It is from the 2001 vintage. Already six years old. When I poured it there was absolutely no head or any carbonation to speak of. The color is a very thick looking dark brownish-red. It looked like a glass of flat Coke.First sip just about took my breath away and made me pass out. I had the sour face when you suck on a lemon. OMG is this strong and overly sweet. The aroma is good and very profound with strong notes of figs, raisins, and heavy malts. The taste is horrible. It is so sweet I cannot even see myself finishing it. Flat mouthfeel with no carbonation. Overpowering ABV added to an sweet syrupy makes for a bad combination. It is like drinking cough syrup. I respect the ABV and it's 2001 vintage, but this is just not drinkable at all. I did notice some bitterness with each gagging sip I took. I can't believe I let this take up space in my fridge for 6 years.

2.4/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Aye-yi-yi - people drink this? Good God.

Pours a bronze/orange color with no head. Taste is disgustingly sweet. Sweet, malt, syrup, molasses. The most cloying beer I've ever had - I could literally feel my gut rotting as I drank it. Hot alcohol. Almost made me imagine candied battery acid - sweet and burning.

I took a few sips, and then I took a few more because I didn't want to waste it - but I eventually capitulated and poured it down the drain. I had to have a plumber come out the next day to repair the pipes that this beer ate through on its way out.

I may buy it again simply with the intent of aging it for 5+ years, but this thing is way too cloying and hot to drink fresh.

Bottled in 2004

Well I finally came around to drinking the Samichlaus I'd kept for heck, months now (I'm not too big at cellaring) on one of my need-a-beer moments. I though about saving it til christmas so to say precisely 2 years later, but now I'm glad I didn't give it any more attention otherwise I would've been more disappointed.

I poured into my Duvel tulip which is my reference glass for body and the ever important head. but this was rather flat, if only a small film covering the fluid that didn't make it the most attractive beer. but the looks of it were deep and intriguing, unlike the darkness of dark belgian beers, this had some germanic element. it looked like syrup too, jiggled around the glass in a more viscous-than-watery manner (sort of like whisky). that got my attention.

The smell wasn't fantastic or abundant. It was very very buttery as I can recall the pattern, with an excessively strong alcohol feel combined with the malty sweetness. yes, someone had spiked the syrup on my waffles, the smell was very much it.

Then came the cunning disappointment. Now I've tried a few doppelbocks but I'm not an expert. I can honestly claim to liking most of them, which are moderately sweet. but this was worse than coke. it was terribly sweet and unbalanced, the alcohol also making a brutal presence to tame the nose that was already shocked with so much sugar. That was all that could be tasted. no bitterness. The mouthfeel, quite literally that stinging feel on the pharyngeal mucus you get when you drink cheap liqueurish, isn't particularly something I'd recommend.

And of course, the drinkability of a 14% bomb that doesn't even hide the alcohol right certainly drops low on my book as well. plus, who'd be up for buying and drinking more than one of these? stock up on aunt jemina and cheap rum instead.

2.4/5  rDev -40.3%

11.2 oz. bottle. Bottled on December 6, 2003. Picked this one up in Kansas City. Not available here in Wichita.

Appearance: Poured a crystal clear amber. A really nice, deep color. The cream colored head rose up to only about a finger with a lot of effort. It was fizzy and dissipated quickly. There was no lacing.

Smell: A heavy, thick malt sweetness dominated the aroma. Right after the pour was the unmistakeable aroma of cough syrup, but that died away quickly. What remained was the aforementioned sweetness, light roasted malt, tart black cherries, and a general sweet candy smell. Almost cotton candy like at times. There were also hints of spicy alcohol combined with a light smokiness in the background.

Mouthfeel: Very syrupy feeling. Really coated the inside of the mouth. Medium bodied and dead feeling in the mouth.

Taste: Holy crap! Sweet beyond all that is holy. There was some tart cherry in the middle and some alcohol on the finish, but other than that, just head shaking sweetness. After the sugar shock wore off, I did notice some spirit-like alcohol flavors as well as some charred wood, but these were mild compared to the mind-numbing sweetness.

Glad I tried it, but it shall never pass my lips again. Didn't even want to finish this.

2.43/5  rDev -39.6%

I had this beer around 10 years ago and didn't like it at all. This was a random send from Sudsdog and i'm kind of interested to see how my tastes and palate have change or not towards this beer. I have a 12oz bottle served into a large Delirium snifter.Pours a medium clear amber color,looks like apple juice with reddish hues with a thin white head that falls quicker than i can type in the appearance of the beer. Just a few tiny bubbles staggering around.

A very sweet hot malty aroma,better than i remember. Strong burnt carmell,slght metallic notes with a booziness that burns the senses,dark overrippen fruit,slightly perfumy.

Very sweet syrupy taste,not as boozy as expected. Has a woody boubon age quality to the taste. Heavy very sweet candied burnt carmelled taste leaves a very sugary coating on the lips. Sweet overippen dark fruitiness throughout with a touch of honey? A definate sipper had lots of warming character,more drinkable than i would have thought from my first impression. I feel like i'm drinking a shot with every sip,yet the beer does has some smoothness to it.
Would like to try this one again after more aging this beer was bottled in 06.Better than the first time i tried it,still not a beer i would recomend. drink at you're own risk. Don't see why this beer gets all the hype?
Can't belive this beer gets a B+ rating on BA. I wasn't impressed a bit. Might as well just save your money and get a bottle of booze. I did manage to finish this one,but really would'nt want to do it again.

2.45/5  rDev -39.1%

Pours an uneventful nearly void of carbonation in the body, that at the very end of the pour suddenly plops in a bit of head that quickly runs away. OK it’s 14% so to be expected. The beer is amazingly clear and oddly bottled in 2009 so no yeast as separated yet? I’m not sure if I should be Impressed or worried. Sort of an orange amber color that I don’t really dig.

Smells like apples juice with a bit of dark fruits and beer malt. There is simply no noticeable alcohol which is rather surprising given the 14%.

Ah there’s that alcohol. This reminds me more of a fresh English barely wine. So I’m not sure what to think of it as a dopplebock. It doesn’t have the thick mouth feel of most let alone the taste of one. Fruity, sweet, brown sugar, dates, figs, spicy almost burning hops at the finish, candy, and well the sink. The problem is the alcohol and hops don’t balance or fix anything but instead just battle with the other flavors. Clearly a few more years to mellow this are a good idea.

I’m not thrilled with this “rarest and most extraordinary beverage” by any means. This is making for a less than enjoyable beer in the mouth. Too hot and hard to put to words but a watery thick syrup mouth feel.

This beer seems out of style a bit, but at 14% I suppose it is going to be a bit odd. It does have a nice flavor, it has plenty going for it, but too much here isn’t working for me. I would consider trying an older vintage though. I’m fairly certain many of these flaws will mellow and improve.

2.46/5  rDev -38.8%

2002 Bottling. Strong malt notes with a big alcohol smell and a touch of sweetness. Amber colored. Headless. I even busted out some chocolate cake for this. Isn’t helping the flavor any. I had the old version in high school and while it was long ago it was an important moment in my life and I remember it being more rich and darker. Still some interesting flavors here: fruits (apple, pear), nuts and of course alcohol. Kinda a sugary liquor when you get down to it. Nowadays there are many beers with this level of alcohol that handle it a LOT better.

2.49/5  rDev -38.1%

Sweet dates and raisins, high gravity and a bit too sweet for me, would love it hopped up.

2.5/5  rDev -37.8%

Passed by this beer many times at the bottle shop, but a friend highly recommended it to me, so I finally gave it a try. Maybe my expectations were off here....

- The beer pours a nutty brown with almost no carbonation.

- Smells very sweet with toffee and malt notes.

- Taste is off the chart sweet. Just a malty sweet syrup mess that lingers in my mouth for seemingly ever. I was hoping for some bitter roasty flavors to balance it out and add complexity. This is not for me, I could easily be convinced this is a port wine. And the booze is VERY apparent

- Mouthfeel is terrible.

-Overall, this an astringent overly sweet malt syrup that just lingers, no balance or compelixty. This could be sold as a cheap port ($5 for 12oz port is on the cheaper side). Not for me, the more I drink the more I hate it. Drain pour the second half of bottle.

2.5/5  rDev -37.8%

A unique brew, and definitly not for me. Poured out with no head and very low carbonation. Colour of a darker scotch, amber red. Heavy odors of fruit and earth. Overly sticky sweet flavor, with notes of alcohol (14% ABV). This may be the most extraordinary beer in the world, but not the best in my mind. Label states it gets better with age. Hopefully it does. Mine was from Dec 2004 and consumed in March of 2005. I'm thinking it's probably not aged enough. Will re-review again with a longer aged sample.

Samichlaus Classic Bier from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg