Samichlaus Classic Bier | Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg

Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg
Austria
schloss-eggenberg.at

Style: Doppelbock

The once strongest beer in the world is back! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

Added by UncleJimbo on 02-25-2001

Ratings: 2,041 |  Reviews: 1,094
4.97/5  rDev +24.6%

I got this in Tokyo about a month after its Dec. 2011 release. Served in a flaring tulip glass, it was dark amber in color with a bit of carbonation around the edge of the glass. No lacing, but the bit of foam persisted for the 20 minutes it took to drink it.

The smell is very sweet, phenolic and dried-fruity, raisins or prunes. Lets you know this is not your ordinary lager.

The taste is very sweet, like raisin bread. It reminded me of a 9-year old J.W. Lee Harvest ale I had last year, even though it had only been aged 10 months.

However, the mouthfeel is quite different from an aged barley wine. The body is medium in weight rather than heavy, and the greater alcohol percentage fogs the upper mouth and sinuses. That same alcohol warms the finish, and there's also a bit of hot pepper spiciness. Also, it was not the least sticky on the lips.

I was happy to be able to try this unique lager. I drank it with pizza, and it complemented that pie like a fine triple. If I see it again, I'll know what to do with it!

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

What a gem, 2010 vintage served on draft.

Clear dark brown with a touch of red, it looks great.

Smells like a sweet brown bread with dark fruit preserves.

Tastes like a loaf of honey oat bread with dried fruits, like dates. Reminiscent of a several year old J.W. Lees Harvest. There is a bit of alcohol, but nothing too strong. The grain really comes through in the after taste.

Feels like an aged beer. Light carbonation, not quite syrupy, creamy froth when swished.

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured into a tulip. Bottle from the 2009 batch (bought early 2011) no date found on bottle.
Pours a dark pristine ruby brown with very little head.
Something acidic comes to the nose accompanying the syrupy sweet scent, was a little thrown off by that.
Sweet caramel flavor. Vanilla coke comes to mind. The alcohol content is very well masked.
Mouthfeel is velvety and smooth.

I really liked this beer when I had it a year ago and it has developed some complexity and smoothed out even more. The alcohol is completely masked. I'm glad I made the commitment to cellaring this beer. The smell of acetone was a little off-putting but wasn't enough to derail the experience.

4.23/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured into a goblet. Clear dark color with an off-white head that recedes into nothing, not surprising given the alcohol content of the beer.

S: Aroma was a bit strange, smells a bit like wet cardboard, with some metallic smell too. After a few whiffs, I smell some caramel maltiness and plenty of alcohol.

T: I was hoping it wouldn't taste like the aroma, and luckily it didn't, with a ton of caramel, dark fruit (raisins) and rum-like alcohol. Very tasty.

M: Very full body with light carbonation. Feels very smooth.

O: For a 14% abv doppelbock, this is one hell of a beer. Tasty, and the alcohol is hidden very well but still contributes flavor.

3.91/5  rDev -2%

[Poured into a chalice glass]

I: This beer(a doppelbock) has been touted as one of the strongest(no surprise at 14%) and has quite a bit of hype behind it. Lucky for me, I snagged the last one off the selves at my local bevmo. I've been itching to try this, so lets hope it doesn't disappoint.

B: [14% ABV, 11.2 FL. OZ. 330ml Bottled 2010] I find myself quite fond of this bottle. Attention grabbing, but retains class. As you can tell, the general information(that every beer should have) is present. I like the summary in the back label, also noting that "older vintages become more complex over time", suggesting that a beer enthusiast such myself should age(If I end of liking it). Hopefully this will earn a spot on my self.

A: Transparent dark caramel/brown body with no head or lacing whatsoever(Very fast dissipation. Even a very aggressive pour will produce little).

S: Pleasing smell, with sweet brown sugar and caramel, syrup, dark fruit (cherry), and a boozy sense of alcohol.

T: Very sweet syrupy beer throughout. Many fruits on the tongue. Figs, cherry's, plum, apricot, and etc..(I can go on and on) The brown sugar wasn't as apparent, but I could taste the caramel(complemented with the thick syrupy body) It's pretty complex.

M: Syrupy sticky finish, full bodied, no carbonation(very little if any), and apparent alcohol(creeps).

O: I don't feel like this was a beer. Very sweet, thick, syrupy, and hardly any carbonation, this beer is more like a liquor. I sadly can't say that I enjoyed this beer. I also think that this shouldn't be classified as a bock(There is no beer I can think of comparing). I say pick up one for bragging rights, and complexity. Otherwise, I can't see anyone drinking this on a daily basis.

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Bottled in 2010; poured into snifter.

A: looks amber brown, clear, and full of head with the pour and the lacing stays for the glass.

S: bread/grain, sweet malt, and booze. Some fruity smell.

T: huge taste, but very sweet. It wasn't like this last year, seemed more complex and less sweet.

M: very smooth, some carbonation still but not as much as it was last year.

O: not worth waiting another year - just have it when you buy it. This is too sweet.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

3.15/5  rDev -21.1%

This one was bottled in 2008 and shared by Andy. Poured into a tulip. This one pours a clear reddish amber color with a thing layer of head. Looks like a cognac after it's all said and done.

Enjoyable rich aroma. Purple grapes with a good caramel boozy sweetness rounding this out. Very fruity in the aroma. The pallet has a lot of the same going on as the aroma. A grape or raisin flavor with caramel and lots of booziness. This one is very sweet.

The body is full and sticky with somewhat sharp carbonation. This really coats the tongue.

Not a bad idea to share this one. This one is very sweet and the flavors are very pronounced with lots of sharp alcohol. Good to look at and smell but drinking this can be a little overbearing. I suppose it would be nice to share this small bottle several ways.

2.93/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled in 2008. Drank in 2012. The color is golden amber. There are small white bubbles. This is a nice clear looking beer.

The aroma is full of bread with a hint of punch. This smells sweet.

The taste is sweet with lots of bread and a hint of tropical fruit to round it out. The sugariness leaves a bit of a less than desirable aftertaste. I should note that after a few sips and I get further into my half of the bottle, this doesn't seem nearly as cloying as the first taste indicated.

The body is full with nice carbonation. This is alright. I don't think I would get it again though. It's just a bit too sweet.

Samichlaus Classic Bier from Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg