Cranberry American Wheat (Thanksgiving 2012) | Relic Brewing Co

Alströms:

Reviews by Gambrinus1184:
3.5/5  rDev 0%

3.03/5  rDev 0%

Brewer offered this one in two versions the day before Thanksgiving 2012. Straight from the tap, and also an infused option with an in-line pressure infuser filled with cranberries and tangerine peel. This review is for the infused version. Brewing notes: "...pounds of cranberries added at the end of the boil to add a hint of tartness and berry flavor...Mouteka and Chinook hops...flavors of tropical fruits and lemons..."

Poured hazy light copper color-gold into relic pint glass, virtually no head. I think the infusion killed the carbonation on this one. Only had it in the fridge overnight after visiting the brewery, and served it Thanksgiving day.

Smells of fruit, and mild berry notes. Not picking up an lemon or tropical aromas.

Taste was somewhat tart. Still not picking up much berry flavors. Wheat character is there but subdued. Slight bitterness in the end. Was really hoping for more cranberry presence, especially with the infused version. I know the brewer notes say "hint" of berry flavor, but I can barely discern it. I tried the non-infused version at the brewery and it was much more bitter. The infused version that I am reviewing here was more carbonated when sampled at the brewery. Not sure exactly what happened to my growler, but I always make sure to cap it tight upon placing it in the fridge.

Mouthfeel...flat.