Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Roaming Bear Porter | Old Black Bear Brewing Company

3.62/5
Good

Old Black Bear Brewing Company
Alabama, United States
oldblackbear.com

Style: American Porter

Named because it will come and go as a seasonal favorite, Roaming Bear needs little introduction. It is loaded with roasted barley and complimented with a unique blend of malts giving it a rich, deep roasted flavor. We pound this dark beer with Magnum hops to give it a nice bitterness and finish it off with a little Willamette. At 5.5% ABV, it will keep you warm without putting you into hibernation.

Added by MasterSki on 02-29-2012

2.62/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a nice deep brown with a 1/2 tannish cap with moderate lacing

S: A little faint. Some roasted malts with hints of bakers powder cocoa but not that charming overall

T: Light bakers cocoa powder was my initial thought backed up by some roasted malt anda light whiff of coffee and very light underlying funk. The taste lingers providing a bitter, graininess which really disappoints

M: Medium body, well carbonated, a little thin on the backend and on the palate

O: Not a creamy porter which I like. This beer needs to be cleaned up a bit.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Had it on tap, served in a goblet, at Mellow Mushroom in southeast Huntsville

A: Totally dark and no head whatsoever - just some thin streaks of foam across the top
S: Pleasant mix of coffee and fresh hops
T: No strong flavors - some hints of coffee
M: Not much there - some light carbonation, some mild bitterness, but just a thin-bodied beer for a porter
O: Certainly a drinkable beer, just not very memorable. Prefer a porter with a stronger or more distinctive flavor.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

ST: I have only had this beer on draft. Typically it has been served fairly cold (like refrigerator temp). I actually prefer to let it sit for a little while and warm up a bit. I think it would be best in the 55 degree area.

AP: Thick, dark, light amount of brown head.

SM: I'll really have to come back to the "smell" portion after i've been not smoking for a little while longer. At this point, basically, yes... it does have smell, and it's good, but I can't pick up on complexities.

TA: I enjoy this porter immensely. It's more bitter than I like - but this is the beer that can eventually become my favorite barrel aged beer!

MF: Thick. The light bubbles of the light head are nice.

OV: This is so far, in my new to craft beer world, my favorite porter.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%