Double Avarice - Barrel-Aged

Gots
SCORE
n/a
Double Avarice - Barrel-AgedDouble Avarice - Barrel-Aged
Notes: You read that right. Barrel-Aged Double Avarice. We’re not playing around with this one – this is a true double strength version of our Belgian-style imperial stout, aged up to a full year in fresh Colorado bourbon barrels.

This absolute monster finished at 19.46% ABV, yet still retains Avarice’s hallmark dryness - a cellar beast that will age gracefully for years, if not decades, to come. As our highest gravity beer ever, Barrel Aged Double Avarice makes the perfect stocking stuffer for your favorite beer nerd.
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 7 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Beginner2 from Illinois

3.97/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

While Double Avarice has tempted me to give a fabulous rating based on its 17.4 ABV, I am going to exhibit one of my few, rare examples of temperance and not fall for this temptation.

Double Avarice is average for the style and below average for the price.
Its Looks are all I can expect from 17%, but its Smells should be fuller of vanilla, chocolate, bourbon. Better, its Tastes are balanced and the ABV is surprisingly well-hidden. If you like licorice, you will like this. But I prefer my dessert to have chocolate themes and they are too sedate in Double Avarice.

Bought from Tavour (the only way to get River North outside of Colorado) and poured into my Westmalle goblet (to keep me from committing one of the 7 Deadly Sins). Nonetheless, this 2020 vintage is River North's second release. I should have let this release meld for a few years... but that is not my pattern on a new brewer.

I scanned River North's BA offerings and see that I made a mistake in starting with this AIS. Double Avarice is based on their Belgian stout and this brewer has had good success in the Belgian tradition and I look forward to trying their wares there. I also went on their website and see that it could be better developed for an eight year old firm... but then, we are in the middle of global pandemic and everyone is scampering on the surface. Below the surface, I want Tavour to offer River North's saisons or wits.

Despite my harsh rating, good luck River North. You are making the new Denver.

Jun 12, 2020
Scottsbeer from Florida

4.49/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2020 Vintage, Release #2, ABV 17.4%, Cases bottled 125

Look is the darkest brown that almost is black with a small mocha colored head that dissipated almost instantly with no lacing.

The smell shines with a lot of oak, char, vanilla, figs, dates, chocolate and bourbon as a background.

The taste follows the nose with a hint of anise in the finish.

Feel is very nice, slight small delicate carbonation with a thick to medium thick body. ABV is evident with a nice warming as you sip but not hot in any way.

Overall a wonderful beer from a brewery I have not had in the past. Wish I had more.

May 24, 2020
Cylinsier from Pennsylvania

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375 ml bottle

Pours opaque black. Very dark tan film of a head dissipates to nothing.

Smells of rich fig, molasses, tobacco, coffee bean, vanilla, cocoa, oak, bourbon, and mesquite.

Flavor is extremely rich. Molasses, raisin, mesquite, honey, pecan, caramel, bourbon, leather, and oak.

Full viscous body, stinging on the tongue from carbonation and alcohol. Warms going down.

Decadent, rich, boozy, and very slow drinking. This is a real treat if you love heavy stouts. One of the best I have had in a while. A glass will last you all night. Hopefully I come across this again.

Apr 27, 2020
REVZEB from Illinois

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pitch black viscous but not oily pour, no head. Smell captured the depth of the barrel beautifully: charred wood, molasses, whiskey, bitter chocolate, leather and licorice, almost dry in an overall sense. Taste also shaped by barrel, more rustic finish with tobacco earth and a touch of vanilla. Body is heavy, very warm with booze, somewhat rustic, but exceptionally smooth. A masterclass on barrel character in a goliath of a stout. You are aware that it is boozy, but not to the extent that it actually is

Apr 12, 2020
beergoot from Colorado

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep space black body with a thin yet lasting brown head. Heavy charred grain and bread crust aroma; dark roast coffee beans; low-key whiskey. Big cocoa and chocolate flavors; bourbon presence more upfront and intense; a bit of cherry. Thick and vinous body; massive residual sugars; warm.

A wonderfully complex and intensely rich barrel-aged stout

VINTAGE - 2018 RELEASE - 1 CASES BOTTLED - 125