Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Circuit | Tin Man Brewing Company

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by Chaney on 01-19-2013

3.5

1.25/5  rDev -57.3%

A pilsner with ale yeast? You have got to be fucking kidding me.

1.39/5  rDev -52.6%

Appearance: Bright gold, fluffy pilsner head

Smell: Smelled like pilsner, noble and malty

Taste: Buttered popcorn. No hops, no crispness, not refreshing, just butter and salt. It was disgusting. My buddy was able to pound it before we left, so I guess that's a plus.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and rich, bohemian? not really sure what that means.

Overall: I don't think this is a pilsner. I really don't know what it is. It is not a good beer.

1.5/5  rDev -48.8%

1.5/5  rDev -48.8%

1.61/5  rDev -45.1%

Very let down by Tin-Man on this one. Tasted like a glorified Bud Light.

1.64/5  rDev -44%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Another "session" brew by Tin Man... (insert eye roll here)

Again, my wife and I came into this place expecting great things. The marketing campaign is ingenious!

Served in the appropriate glassware.

A: Poured a slightly chilled hazed crayon yellow color, without much of a head or visible carbonation to speak of. I must say: Others have boasted of a nice head and carbonation bill on this one. WTF?

S: I got some honey, grains, and sort of a soggy cereal/syrup compound. Pretty gross.

T: About like the nose. I need to mention here that this was the brew that truly made my wife want to flat out walk out of the brewery. Nearly devoid of any type of hop component and infinitely honey-like. My wife kept referring to this one as a mead. She wasn't far off.

M: Stupidly low in carbonation, much less flavor. This was one of the more syrupy German lagers I've ever tasted. No lacing.

O: To Tin Man: I understand why you might consider consumerizing such styles as the IPA and stout, but isn't the German pilsener already in a somewhat mass appeal-esque state?

2.25/5  rDev -23.2%

2.25/5  rDev -23.2%

2.31/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.5/5  rDev -14.7%

2.62/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

473ml can poured into my tall pilsner glass 26/7/13

A lots of tiny particles with a couple chunks being moved around by lots of big bubbles, two fingers of foam retains well and leaves a couple thick rings of lace

S heavy on the butterscotch, honey and caramel with some soggy cereal and little else, not what I was hoping for

T more of the same with a hint of grassy hops but not much, a slight improvement over the nose but still pretty lousy

M has some body and the bubbles work but the aftertaste leaves something to be desired

O off can perhaps? or just a crappy pilsner? doesn't really nail any pil characteristics and I finished it but I was pretty thirsty

one and done, not overly offensive but I wouldn't bother buying it

2.64/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.69/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.71/5  rDev -7.5%

A- Pours a chill hazed orange-ish/gold color that resembles honey. There isn't much head retention, contrary to what the description on the can tells me....what there is, is a small patchwork of thin white foam. Lacing appears decent at first but becomes unimpressive, as the bubbles go from thick patches but quickly dissipate into small strings back into the beer.

S- This smells more like a weak pale ale than a pilsner.....lots of malt upfront with subtle notes of hop bitterness on the finish. The bitterness has no real citrus quality and the strength of the overall aroma seems like it is lacking effort....maybe the Saaz hops used were old....

T- A funny tasting pilsner is what I am experiencing! Overall, it follows the aromas and is weak. It is balanced nicely between sweet malty goodness and bitter finish, but it seems like it is quite metallic and slightly of adjunct. The more I drink it, the less flavorful it becomes unfortunately. I'm not an expert, but could the American Ale Yeast have something to do with the off flavor? It just seems like a run of the mill lager, with much more malt than normal.

M/O- The body is medium and it is a creamy beer to drink, as the carbonation is very smooth and refined....this is nice but not of the style in my opinion. There is no crispness or puckering on the palate....to use a wine term, this is a flabby beer! It's not a bad beer, but I think it's mislabeled and even then, I think there is much better out there. I'm disappointed and probably wont buy this again...it doesn't do anything for me!

2.75/5  rDev -6.1%

2.75/5  rDev -6.1%

2.79/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clean, golden in my lager glass, with a huge head of lovely foam. Nice and thick lace, too.

Nose is malty/grainy, even approaching an adjunct. I get sweet corn and a hint of sharp wheat. Very average.

Taste is also grainy and sweetly malted up front, with a sweet corn-like funk up front, followed by a tinge of hops toward the finish. Leaves me with a metallic weirdness, too, which I can't forgive or forget. Not a favorite.

2.79/5  rDev -4.8%

2.85/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Finally my first taste of this new beer from our Evansville Brewery. I went to the brewery after they first opened only to wait in a line to long and end up leaving.

From can to glass. Bought @ Liquor Locker on Morgan

This beer looks awesome, 2 finger head dark yellow color just what you expect from a real pilsner.

The smell is slightly metallic with lots of cereal grains smell with a touch of citrus of hops

And taste...that sad sad taste

VERY disappointed with this. I was hoping for some real German style pilsner just to end with something that taste like a mouthful of wet uncooked oats and grains.

The metallic smell comes through more in the taste and where did the citrus hops go?

I would rather drink this over a bud, but not by much. I believe some recipe altering may still be needed.

Circuit from Tin Man Brewing Company