La Calavera Catrina

Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Notes:
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 11 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
craftbeersweden from Sweden

3.29/5  rDev -6%

In a white can with a nice graphic art on it - Garage Project La Calavera Catrina from Garage Project.
ABV: 6.9 % - Best before September 18, 2016.

Slight hazy, yellow liquid with a almost three finger high, off-white head.
Strings of small bubbles raising to the top - It looks tasty!

Nose: Citrus is dominant, pepper, chilli, malt, a bit of a metallic tone, grain and honey.
Taste: Oups! Definitely habernero chili here! A burning feeling in the mouth and especially in the throat after swallowing the beer. I get malt, watermelon, rose water an lemon before the chili kicks in and dominate. After that I can’t feel anything...
Mouth: Medium body and carbonation. Heat from the chili.

Sorry - I keep talking about the chili BUT it totally takes over the beer.

I kind of love/hates this! I love the freshness from the watermelon and rose water AND I LOVE habanero chili but... I hate the fact that I’m burning up from drinking beer...

May 12, 2016
kitch from Hong Kong

2.65/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A 330ml can with a best before date of 21st July 2016 and poured into a d’Achouffe tulip glass.

Appearance: It poured a clear golden blonde colour with a one finger white head that dissipated fairly quickly but leaves some sparse lacing.

Aroma: Pale malts and corn along with some orange and lemon citrus plus a hint of rose water.

Taste: Spicy! Chili heat at the beginning and chili heat on the finish. In the middle of it all there’s some sweet honey and apple maybe. But really, it seems all about the chili which is a bit overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with light carbonation and tingly chili spice.

Overall: I enjoy chili and eat a lot of spicy food, but I’m not sure this really worked. In this case, I thought that the chili really overpowered everything else, such that the other flavours you get in the middle, were pretty much negated. I feel that if putting chili in beer, then perhaps it would go better with the normally bolder flavours of an imperial stout or imperial porter, which would provide more balance.

Apr 14, 2016
ADZA from Australia

3.59/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The one thing about Garage Project is their labels rock and this one pours a clear golden honey hue with a fluffy non lasting three finger head and only a feint rim of lacing yeah it looks so so,the smell is definitely more complex its a blend of honey,the chillies are quite prominent and also your typical lager graininess,the mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice moderate carbonation and the tastes are honey,rosewater,habernero chillies,a slight hit and I mean slight of watermelon I mean its there but I thought it be more prominent and it finishes with a lingering chillie warmingness and overall it's one of those beers that I enjoyed but certainly not Garage Project's finest brew and at the price not good enough to make me thinking its worth it cheers.

Dec 07, 2013
spicelab from Australia

3.46/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear and bright golden straw with a robustly forming white head that retreats slowly with the odd fleck of lace. After all that, the bead is subdued.

Nose shows plenty of classic lager graininess with quite prominent watermelon mixing with some ester-like honey sweetness. The rosewater gets easier to identify over the course and blends very well with the watermelon. In all it's an elegant combination.

Taste starts with a rush of rosewater and watermelon before the chilli descends. Although cutting and scratchy, the chilli doesn't completely sweep away the rest of the palate, with the rosewater starting to reassert at the finish.

Very light entry before the chilli texture kicks in. Carbonation seems subdued, but is hard to discern behind the chilli.

Pretty solid idea well executed. Although I'm a chilli fan, I have to acknowledge that I'd prefer this with half or less of the amount used.

Dec 06, 2013