Orion

From:
Night Shift Brewing

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
OrionOrion
Notes: Night Shift Barrel Society 2014 Release #5. Sour dark ale aged in oak barrels.
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 46
1.96/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

on tap at Night Shift Barrel Society party 2016. Had a few sips, then abandoned the rest when I couldn't imagine finishing a 4oz glass. Deep red/brown color, scent of sharp alcohol without much to balance it. Tasted both extremely sweet and alcohol strong, with maybe candied raisins underneath. Not sure what this beer is supposed to be. Reminds me of a strange home brew experiment, not something that would be sold to the public. That quality about Night Shift is intriguing to me, but in this case I don't think it worked.

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a deep, dark amber. Little to no head. The nose is great: dark fruits, maybe cherry and currants and oak that reminds me of a Cabernet. Some hints of vanilla and definitely some alcohol (the label says sherry but my nose isn't good enough to tell). The taste also reminded me of a red wine: tannic, oaky, and dark fruits. Sour and tart but I didn't get any vinegar like the previous reviewer. It is on the sweeter side but I thought the flavors were balanced well together.

2.62/5  rDev -33.7%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Slow gusher. Pours a deep brown with a huge off-white head. Thick collar. Smells like oak, dark fruits, some dark roasted malts. Sour up front. A little bit vinegary. Heavy caramel and brown malts. Sickly sweet finish with an oaky bite. Heavy. Medium carbonation. A little unpleasant, but not undrinkably bad.

Tastes how it is described; sour dark ale aged in oak, malty, fruity, tannic and complex. This should age well. Just can't help feeling slightly disappointed. This is a good beer and one that I feel that NS has put out countless times before. I guess I just expect a bit more from Barrel Society releases. Perhaps down the road this will age into a gem.

Orion from Night Shift Brewing