Morph 5/16/16

From:
Night Shift Brewing

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Morph 5/16/16Morph 5/16/16
Notes:
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 27
4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16 oz can. Pours hazy golden orange, thick foamy white head lasts, lots of sticky lace. Mild tropical fruit aroma. Nicely balanced IPA, a touch on the sweet side but with plenty back end bitterness. Orange and tropical fruit taste, light malt, floral and piney hops come in mid-sip and last well past the swallow. Became a little more earthy as it warmed. Medium soft mouthfeel. Good IPA, enjoyed it.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

16 oz. can. Hazy orange. Big white head. Smells of pine and some sharp fruit aromas. Acidic orange like blood orange or something. Tastes a little less bright. Orange up front. Toasty malt flavor. Turns into grapefruit and pine. Medium body. The El Dorado kicks back in in the finish and keeps it interesting.

4.02/5  rDev -4.7%

I try to drink every Morph iteration I can get my hands on because 2016 has been insanely good. The El Dorado comes strong in this batch and pushes the citrus aroma and taste of watermelon and pear. Vic Secret brings the pineapple and lots of pine. The malt takes a bigger stage than usual, which is neither good nor bad - just depends on preference. Finishes crisp with a lingering pine-resin bitterness. Expertly crafted but I prefer heavier citrus notes to give the IPA more punch. Another outstanding Morph.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

L - deep, very impressive almost pumpkin orange, maybe two shades darker. hazy, good looking beer.
S - wonderful nose, pungent and fruit forward. malted oats round out the nose profile.
T - honey dew, light peach or apricot with a piney bite on the end. the malt comes through much more in the nose than the taste profile but thats fine for me. very drinkable and delicious. the pine isn't overpowering on the back end even as I finished the pint. very good.
MF - a bit spicy on the MF, maybe a bit high carbonation.

O - did they do it again? they did it again. another great offering from NS Morph series. This is different than their citrus haze bombs from earlier this year and it works just as well.

3.94/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: not gonna pretend I actually saw this beer cuz I drank this shit outta the can. However, I gave it a 4 based on the fact that every Morph I've tried in the past has been hazy, bright yellow hop juice, and that the can itself is really rad looking.

Aroma: slightly subdued as a whole, but the notes I got were of bitter melon, maybe some softer apricot flesh.....more malt-heavy than the Morphs I've had in the past, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Taste: again, more bitter melon and apricot than the usual citrus/grapefruit/mango/pineapple flavors I get from Morph, Santilli, and the 87. It's really good, but not quite as good as the rest of Night Shifts hoppy beers, in my opinion. Light cracker malt to go with the bitter, melony flavor.

Feel: crisp, clean, and refreshing. Moderately carbonated in body, with a nice, semi-dry finish.

Overall: it's not my favorite Night Shift brew, but it still out drinks most hoppy beers out there in my opinion.

Morph 5/16/16 from Night Shift Brewing