Snow | Night Shift Brewing

Alströms:

4.25/5  rDev +30.4%

4.14/5  rDev +27%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle labeled batch #2 bottled 5/20/13 into a Baxter can-glass. Bought at the brewery.

A - Cream/white-orange color, hazy with a watery but firm head.

S - Nice coffee aroma smells like a bag of ground coffee. Earthy.

T - Sweet oatmeal with a cream and coffee taste. The head has a lighter flavor and provides depth to the beer. Blueberry, toffee, lime, and cranberry notes.

M - An aerated version of a stout. Not sticky which balances out nicely with the creamy texture.

O - A worthy idea to make a white stout. Low alcohol allows this beer to have lots of little flavors along with a big coffee overtone.

3.99/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This beer is too unique to not review. Fresh 750ml bottle poured into Night Shift snifter.

A: Body is golden and gueuze-like, and it is very (assuming intentionally) murky and thick looking. Head is very white - you could even call it snow colored! Lacing decent. If I blindly looked at this beer, with the head I'd assume a tripel.

S: Here is where the senses go off the track. Coffee. Close my eyes and it smells like a coffee oatmeal stout. Some wheat lies underneath.

T: Coffee is the immediate and dominant flavor here, but the body holds strong with wheat and oatmeal. Very low alcohol, and thus a watery flavor mixed in. A bit of bitter astringency on the backend, and then the coffee aftertaste lingers in the mouth.

M: I wouldn't call it full bodied, but it's shockingly medium bodied for a 3.5% beer. Carb is spot on.

O: If you like coffee beers, this is well worth seeking out, especially if you are local.
Others may be interested in the novelty, as this is definitely something a bit different. At $10, it's hard to call this a session beer, but otherwise I could drink a few glasses of this in a night.

3.82/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really liked this beer

Pours hazy yellow with a thick white head.

Smells like coffee. It was bizarre to get such a coffee taste from a beer that wasn't really a stout.

Taste- Coffee but with a hint of wheat. I was expecting more bitterness but the beer is really balanced.

MF-Carbonated and smooth at the same time. Loved the mouthfeel of this beer.

Overall- I have had 4-5 beers from this brewery and this has been my favorite by far. I would be nice if the ABV was a little higher but a great beer.

3.73/5  rDev +14.4%

Picked this up at Julio's. Poured into my Duvel tulip. Less than a month old.

A - Pours a nice slightly cloudy golden hue with a nice two finger white head that fades to leave a thin wispy blanket and nice light lacing.

S - Heh, this is fun. I was expecting, and wanting more coffee. What I get though is deep fresh grounds. Not too roasted smelling, just fresh, almost bright green coffee grinds. Fun

T - Lots of wheat in this, almost unpleasantly so. I can understand the watery aspects of this. I do not have an issue with that, coffee seems a bit on the old side, and the wheat and it kinda clash on my pallet.

M- Mouthfeel is solid, given its low ABV. Spot on carbonation for a stout.

O - Overall, this was a weird beer, to be expected. I want to like it, I want to REALLY like it, but the wheat just throws me for a loop.

Snow from Night Shift Brewing