Notting Hill Stout | Moncada Brewery Ltd

Notting Hill StoutNotting Hill Stout
3.74/5
Good
Notting Hill StoutNotting Hill Stout

Moncada Brewery Ltd
England, United Kingdom
moncadabrewery.co.uk

Style: English Oatmeal Stout

Since we heard that doctor's used to advise recovering athletes to drink Stout, we just had to develop our own remedy recipe! Our newest beer idea is based on Stout's history of being a 'strong' beer. To reflect this, the oatmeal Stout's taste itself is dark and velvety with a defined roasted flavour.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 3
3.78/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L- Black, pours with 1cm dark tan fine-bubble head.
S- Deep roasty-toasty, with faint hints of... liquorice?
T- Earthy, and it builds in at least two waves after the first sip. Earthy as in very deep roasted cold embers in a fire might have, it has quite a smokey edge to it. It's unusual, I don't recall tasting a beer quite like this before. I'm not a regular stout drinker but I do like this one.
F- It seems to pack a bit more of a punch than the 5% ABV suggests, it could be the liquorice tang that imitates a higher% It has quite a rich mouth-feel, it is not a thin/bitter stout like ... some of the mega-stout producers produce. It has good carbonation, both in it's head holding well, but also in the mouth.
O- This surprised me, a stout that I'd drink it again; and very different to what I was expecting.
I still find it pretty desperate marketing this brewery suggesting a connection with Notting Hill when the brewery - per my review of another of their beers is - '3.5miles north in Cricklewood, NW2 near Staples Corner/North Circular Road. Aka 'Not-Notting Hill by any stretch of the maps or imagination'. I bought this in Oddbins Notting Hill Gate at £2/330ml bottle. BB: 06/02/19

p.s. When I wrote this I had not read the only other review, below. I had to smile that spike also found liquorice, and if his 'wood' was perhaps slightly charred I'd agree with that too!

3.46/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 500ml bottle.
Black with a hint of red. A thin, dark brown head disappears quickly leaving no lacing. Flat coke.
Toasted malt and brown bread nose
Wood and liquorice flavours. A little sweetness in the finish with hints of coffee and chocolate.
Light body with a tangy, dry finish.
This is a robust stout, albeit with a disappointing look and feel. For an oatmeal stout there is zero sign of a smooth, velvet mouthfeel. But definitely dark and roasty.

Notting Hill Stout from Moncada Brewery Ltd