Pro Pig Brass Monkey

Notes: Amarillo-hopped, orange-zested malt liquor

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 24 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.14/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had on tap. It's a malt bomb! Which I mean, it should be given the style, but it attempts to provide so elevation to the style. Cloudy orangey yellow body with a quickly disappearing head. Smell has those typical sweet grains, booze, and malts, but there is some citrus in with it, especially orange, and slight hops. Taste is pretty much the same, which for a malt liquor beer to taste not like malty booze alone is impressive. Still true to the style, so good marks are in order. Feel is a little lighter for style, but plenty malty and boozy. I don't know if I need to have it again, but it probably is the best malt liquor beer I have ever had.

3.99/5  rDev +5.6%

Reviewed from notes. Disclaimer: Usually not a fan of this style and mostly hard for me to rate this one actually to style, but given Pro Pig’s creativity in doing something different, well, here’s the rest. The appearance was a semi-pale yellow color with some carbonation seen rising at a fair pace. Film of white foamy/bubbly head dies off extremely quick. No lace but expected. The aroma had some sweet grainy/cereal booziness flowing over some citrus/orange zestiness. Floral hops? Ok, well, I didn’t mind, kinda different for a malt liquor. The flavor was pretty much the same as the aroma, sweet booziness with that kick of the citrus/orange zest seemingly leading to balance. Aftertaste is pretty boozy and kicking around the same flavors in the finish. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with a sipping kind of quality about it. ABV seems what the brewer projected. Overall, I don’t think I’m rating this to style, but rating it more towards observations. I think I kind of liked this, oddly enough.

4.34/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Surprised at how much I'm liking this. It's from a crowler dated 5/23, so it's 3 days old. Poured in a snifter, it has a real La Fin Du Monde flavor without the cloves.

3.48/5  rDev -7.9%

A-On tap at the source. Pours a bright, hazy orange color. Tiny head.

S-Interesting aroma. I'm a bit perplexed by it. It almost reminds me of a gin based cocktail. It's also very citrusy.

T-Flavor again, reminds me of a gin cocktail. The orange zest used in this beer's brewing lends a noticeable citrus flavor. Amarillo hops are relatively mild.

M-Medium bodied. Medium carb. Lingering flavors.

O-Definitely unique. I didn't falling love with it and it left me perplexed. Neat idea but that flavors weren't right for my palate.

Pro Pig Brass Monkey from Prohibition Pig