Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,478 | Ratings: 13,976

This beer reminds me of the first time I sipped beer from my Fathers glass. The taste is intense and vivid, bitter without being sour and not at all sweet. This is a crisp dry ale full of deliciously simple hop and yeasty flavour, guaranteed to satisfy while at the same fulfilling every requirement of a hearty glass of beer. be careful storing and pouring because the beer is bottle conditioned and some lees may settle. I usually store upright in the fridge for a couple of days, then pour very carefully leaving the last drop in the bottle. Then you have a very clear beautifully inviting glassfull. Cheers!

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Forgive me, this is my first attempt at a full-blown review:

Pours a golden/amber. The head is aggressive, 1.5-2", but quickly retreats evenly. Lacing is minimal, a light film. Quite clear with normal carbonation. Heavy aromatics and floral, piney and citrus notes on the front. Some light wheat-y sweet indicators. Citrus dominates with orange peel bitterness. Light grapefruit and rose notes. Then, orange peel and lemongrass. Overall, very nice aroma. Flavor comes in with heavier grapefruit than the aroma would indicate. NIce transition from sweet fruit to hops bittering. Flavor is quite intense. Balanced, but more sweet in front and bitter behind. BItter lasts long, and builds throughout the session, but it's not off-putting. Mouthfeeel is quite full for a beer so light and clear. Very satisfying but at the same time sessionable. Alcohol content, while high for its type, is an afterthought. Personally, this is one of the best beers of this type I have had. Very drinkable, yet still complex enough to keep you wondering.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

There is no other beer to which I have so many attached memories. I'll try not to let these attachments figure too much in the rating (in the name of something approaching an "objective" review), and yet- for this beer in particular- I am glad for the "Overall Impression" metric, into which I will pour all my personal affection. I love you, Two-Hearted. I loved you always stocking yourself in the fridge of my college apartment, I loved you after long shifts of tending a bar, I loved you as a teacher- of what "quality" in beer means, of the conversations good beer can catalyze, of the IPA-per-day limits of a single human tongue (and body). I love you now and always. In this glass- as both a cold beer to be evaluated by the senses and gamified on a website, and as some sort of Proustian rendition that, in spirit, incorporates each and every glass, as well as each and every story that followed or is to follow. Here's one story...

An inch or so of fine-bubbled head, off-white in color, is resting on top of an opaque, amber liquid. Retention is good, and little latticed patterns of lacing drape around the glass.

Let's take the first whiff! Grapefruit- particularly zest- combined with an additional, slightly resiny and syrupy hop character hit you first. As the beer warms just a tad, you notice the increased depth of aromas, including some bready malt, mellow caramel, and more and varied citrus, which greet the senses subtly rather than sharply. It is still the grapefruit and resin that own the hop show. By the time the beer is half gone, and perhaps 5 degrees warmer, a certain pattern emerges to this nose: Bready caramel and slight citrus --> Solid grapefruit/orange zest, perhaps a touch of nectarine --> resin and sticky hop notes (though mellow rather than cloying) and more grapefruit.

Taste is wonderful, and only gets better for a while. I'd say the beer flavor (somewhat predictably for East Coast and Midwest IPAs due to larger malt presence) holds up very well to slight warmth, even palatable as the beer's temp has increased well over 10 degrees. Still- it is in those first few minutes, when the malt character has just begun to become more pronounced and yet the grapefruit is still high-flying- where the beer is at its peak. From the first sip after the bottle cracks, bready malt and grapefruit are there. This is, for the most part, the first impression of every sip. Mid-palate the other citrus qualities- namely lemon and orange zest- are more apparent, while the finish again reiterates grapefruit with some attached resiny and floral qualia that sustains a complex and complete aftertaste buoyed by a strong and salient bitterness. To me, this exact execution of bitterness (and I admit, this may be a product of my attachment to the brew) is the gold standard by which I relate all other beers that feature hop bitterness as their essential grammar. I'll admit to other IPAs having better hop and malt profiles and more memorable flavor attributes, for sure. I'll admit that some IPAs are even much more pleasant drinking experiences as a whole. But when I think of the way bitterness is implemented the floral and grapefruit-mounted smack of a Two-Hearted is my ne plus ultra. A mellow caramel malt character increases as we go. It all works very well. A wonderful IPA in flavor.

Rounded mouthfeel and medium carbonation characterize the feel of the beer. Dry-ish, slightly under-attenuated finish is nice and prevents those latent sticky hops and caramel malts from hijacking the overall balanced impression. Slightly prickly and refreshing at every stage. Glorious. I was surprised to find that the feel may actually be my favorite aspect of the beer.

A beer that makes me happy. A beer that is tremendously executed. A fantastic beer.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice color and head to this beer. I'm getting serious sweet citrus on the nose. Very well balanced taste. Not the hops bomb I was expecting, this beer goes from hoppy to malty quickly with a dry finish. Decent amount of carbonation. This is an easy drinker in the IPA class. No real lingering bitterness. I like this one.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

This may have been my 1st IPA ever and it is delicious but with so many new hops in the market I can no longer give this beer a 5 on the rating scale. The use of citrus hops is brilliant with a strong orange taste but after consuming many other hoppy beers over the years this beer is not a beer i'd probably ever buy again. Back when this beer was $6.99 for a 6 pack it was my all time favorite but now it's $10.99 and just not worth the buy. Breweries like Stone and Founders Centennial and Green Flash West Coast just blew this beer out of the water. It was a beer that deserved a 5, 5 years ago but not now. Still delicious but too citrusy without strong notes of other hops and not as citrusy as it could be. So with that said this is a great IPA starter beer for someone not use to hops.

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a golden-orange colour with a two fingers head, good retention, irregular lace. Fresh aroma of resine, pineapple, pine. Palate is rich and creamy. medium to full body and medium carbonation. Taste of pineapple, resine, oranges.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm not sure why I keep trying other IPAs (perhaps because it, like many of us, it is my favorite style) because I keep coming back to Two Hearted. It always impresses and I love the 16 ounce can. There may be better ones out there but this one works for me. Pours and amber yellow with a nice head and great lacing. And the taste just works for me. Not too bitter and not too fruity. Wonderful mouthfeel.

4.77/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Good looking beer has a good head with a good pour. Great taste. Strong ale with the right level of hops. No bitter aftertaste; overall a strong but smooth finish

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hometown Hero, #BellsBrewery #TwoHearted is a taste of #PureMichigan. This #MichiganMade #AmericanIPA is as crisp as the #GreatLakes and bites back hard with hoppy-citrusy #Madness.

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bell's Two Hearted has become my favorite "first beer" to the point that I now always ask if it's available. Other raters have talked about its floral or citrus notes, but I don't care for either floral or citrus, and it tastes great to me, a wee-heavy ale. I say it's a first beer because it is a little heavy, and one is great, two I can't finish. Highland Gaelic, by comparison, is not bad but it's not even half the character of this beer. If you like Two-Hearted but want to go lighter for your second, Highland Gaelic or Rogue Dead Guy might be candidates. (I would have mentioned Highland Kashmir IPA if it were still around.)

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%

Great go to beer. Tried it on 10/27/2016. I only tried it once and it was at http://www.unionjacksglenside.com/. Great wings there by the way. So anyway back to the beer, iwas an amazingly smooth and mild citrus notes. Like a light IPA.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

One of my top ten beers and breweries. For me, this beer is perfectly balanced. Great florals, great hop florals without going overboard the way a lot of double IPAs do.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: Ultra crisp clear copper golden, not much head
S: Fruity citrus, sweet
T: Tastes like smell, very fruity and citrus sweet-malty. Very light hops. Almost like cider. Inoffensive
F: Smooth wet feel, crisp refreshing.

Very nice inoffensive ale, sweet and easy to drink, a bit too sweet for my tastes, not enough hops?

4.6/5  rDev +8%

If someone told me they don't like IPAs and I only had one beer to convince them otherwise, it would be the two hearted ale. My goodness, how does this beer stand so tall against its peers while being drinkable to newbs? Two Hearted would be at my last supper, regardless of whether beer snob was plating a 5-course or Mom was cooking.

4.19/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a murky, dark, golden color, with amber shinning through in the light. An inch of white creamy head forms leaving behind fantastic lacing. Wish the head lasted a bit longer, as it quickly fades to a white cap. Light malt can be found in the nose, along with soft citrus, all with a backbone of strong resinous pine.

The flavor starts with the malt, and if you let the beer sit on your tongue you get sharp carbonation along with some of the soft citrus the nose hinted at. Upon swallowing you are hit with a wave of grapefruit, orange, and bitterness. This all transitions to the resiny pine found while smelling, with the bitterness stays at a constant. It's not bitter by IPA standards, just enough to let you know it's there. All the flavors linger on the tongue together giving you a picture of the total drinking experience in one snapshot of flavor.

A medium bodied beer, with what feels like high carbonation, it's a good beer, but not one I'd cal especially easy drinking. A beer to have during dinner, but not one to session in my mind.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Another one of those classic beers nobody on noobadvocate talks about anymore.

Has that orange appearance I like. Good head formation, this looks bad ass, 1" range. Old enough of a recipe that it came out before the advent of aroma hops per se, but its still a nice grapefruit kick in the nose.

Taste has that mild bitterness, alcohol warmth. Some citrus. Another beer that is real easy to crush several of in one setting. Has a slight caramel edge to it and related sweetness. A classic among beers.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

looks....pours clouds of gold..little head...nice lace..nicely carbonated.
smell...flowery beds of grapefruit...and this is a very hoppynen brew.
taste...IPA all the way....I am not big on IPA but felt a little adventurous today.
feel...smooth yet crisp...nice brew.
overall...a good IPA.
overall ... a good IPA

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is clear light gold with good cap and lacing.

Aroma is equally malt and hops which is a harbinger of things to come. Malt is rich and the spicy, conifer hops are in sharp focus.

Taste is hop forward on entry announcing they're there without overshadowing the malt which appears mid palate to balance the hops then both march abreast to the finish which is clean with a lingering hop bitter/sharp note which quickly fades. A subtle dry finish that invites another taste.

Medium texture with a roundness that's appealing.

Overall it's easy to see why this one is so well spoken of. Malt and hops achieve a ringing balance that belie the overall complexity one gets after studying the beer a bit. Yes, I know it's ale but I call them all beer. This is an enthusiast's brew with crossover appeal. It is a bit hoppy for those not accustomed to craft beers but it's a controlled blast strong enough to get the job done without damaging surrounding structures. It's just got that whack to it that makes you realize you are drinking a well designed, well crafted, set apart brew that emphasizes what's special about craft beer generally.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: pours dark copper with a finger of white head
S: all hops; citrus and floral notes
T: a lot of citrus notes, some floral in the middle and finishes semi sweet.
F: smooth, easy drinking
O: a good shelf ipa

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Perfect summer beer. Bitterness is very well balanced and leaves a nice clean finish. Crisp and refreshing it would be easy to knock a bunch of these back. Floral nose, golden color, good head retention, all the hallmarks of a great medium of the road IPA.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pleasant apricot color, floral hop nose, tremendous head retention, citrusy hop flavor that doesn't linger bitterly on the tongue like so many IPAs tend to. Clean finish, just a bit dry. One of the better examples of the style, glad I grabbed a 12 on the road coming back through Indiana. Would be a top-notch festival/camping beer where cans are required.

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Incredibly crisp and citrusy. Pours a foggy golden color. Citrus undertones mix well with serious hoppy bitter taste. My go-to IPA: perfect for any occasion if you ask me.

Hazy gold. Thick, tight head.
Grapefruit and other citrus aromas.
Mild sweetness followed by a hoppy bitterness. Malt biscuit in the background.
Soft feel. Decent balance, Very drinkable.

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%

L: Small lacing head. Murky orange/amber color.

S: Floral and hoppy. Maybe some orange.

T&F: Initial citrusy flavors, followed by some bitter dryness in the finish. Not overly flowery like many IPAs I have tried.

O: Very sessionable beer. Well balanced flavors and does not kick you in the teeth with too much flower taste like some IPAs I have tried.

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz bottle into tulip
Bottled on 6/28/16 about 7 weeks old
L- hazy honey colored, with a quickly dissipating thin rocky white cap
S- citrus, tropical, pine
T- sweet caramel along with some rather strong alcohol notes(fusel?), followed by grapefruitand some tropical fruit as well, with a bitter piney finish
F- medium bodied, heavily carbonated, big alcoholic bite
O- solid IPA, could use a little less of the alcohol notes in my opion

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.