Two Hearted Ale

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale
Notes: Brewed with 100% Centennial hops from the Pacific Northwest and named after the Two Hearted River in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, this IPA is bursting with hop aromas ranging from pine to grapefruit from massive hop additions in both the kettle and the fermenter.

Perfectly balanced with a malt backbone and combined with the signature fruity aromas of Bell's house yeast, this beer is remarkably drinkable and well suited for adventures everywhere.
Reviews: 3,839 | Ratings: 15,550 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
PathofChaos from Maryland

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Depsite it's hype and unbelievable World Class score on Beer advocate, this IPA is just ok. Unless 'just ok' is what you're after, in which case I guess you'll fanatically foam at the mouth over its utter mediocrity.

There's golden grain malts. There's herbal hops. It's an IPA. Congratulations, you've met the minimum qualifications. Another unimaginative, perfectly alright IPA. Here's your crappy plastic participation trophy.

All two of its flavors are so mild you'll have to enter a state of partial sensory deprivation just to take full notice of them.

The most pleasing aspect of this ale is it's clean, clear golden hue and a white, commercial-perfect head that retains so well it's hard not to call it appealing.

Yesterday at 07:13 PM
GADAMM69

2.84/5  rDev -34%

Meh, reminds me of a stale beer you found from the night before that you forgot to drink find it in the morning and don't really care what it taste like just have to chug something down. Definitely not a go to.

Friday at 07:55 AM
dele from Massachusetts

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally reviewing Two Hearted. A 16oz can about seven weeks old poured into a willi becher glass.

The beer is a deep golden orange. It’s far from clear, but it’s not hazy by any means; light comes through the sides and bottom of the glass. It produces a beautiful ivory colored head that lingers well.

This beer has a classic IPA nose of pine and citrus. There’s a touch of lemongrass and a little of the ammonia that sometimes comes with old school c hops. It smells fantastic.

The taste delivers what the aroma promises: beautiful hoppy pine, grapefruit, and a little honey sweetness. The balance between bitter and sweet is impeccable. This is simply a phenomenal beer, an absolute standard bearer for the style, and draft better than hundreds of beers that cost twice its price. An all time classic.

May 29, 2021
luckyseven from Michigan

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As a Michigan man, I must say off the bat that this is one of my go-to beers as we approach summer. I drink my beer straight out of the bottle and that beautiful trout on the label and bottle cap are perfect to me! The beer does not have the grapefruit smell that really comes through on the taste. It has a very grainy smell with a bit of I believe tree sap coming through.

As I touched on earlier, the taste is a citrus that is complimented by a strong grapefruit. This to me is the perfect beer to sit back and enjoy while out on one of our Great Lakes. The feel on this one on a summer day is as good as hopping in the water! Can't wait to continue to stock the mini-fridge with these as they are a hit all summer!

May 29, 2021
KT3418 from Colorado

2.89/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I hope I like this more, overrated is the wrong word since its all personal preference but I hope the other 5 cans are better. There was no aroma at all really and the subtle flavor isn't doing it for me. I look forward to getting to experience it again to see so ill be updating this.

After 3 cans in still not mindblown but its pretty solid and I do like it more than I did after one. If this is your jam go for it. Idk for me, this ain't it Chief.

...yeah nah this just is not my jam, probably wouldn't get again. I loved Incessant and their darker stuff though. I waited a long time to try this and its one of the most forgettable ipas I've ever had in any style.

May 06, 2021
Hophead from New York

3.56/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

after drinking IPAs religiously for 9 years I finally gave this a try. I Didn't fall for all the hype, as I had serious doubts that it was America's #1 beer, given it was mass produced and came from a brewery which never produced a beer I liked.
I have to say though I was pleasantly surprised. Not a chance it';s the #1 beer in the country but it's very drinkable for such an inexpensive IPA at that ABV.

Look- had a very nice semi coppery color with decent head and lacing. Much welcome over the over pale look.

Smell- a nice bready smell and piney resin

Taste- almost a throw back but not as bitter. Definitely one dimensional, but the only hop is centennial so that's expected, but it was not a grapefruit rind bitter as I'd thought it would be. It definitely had that sort of taste but it was much more pleasant than you typically find with a non-east coast IPA. There was enough of a piney resinous to balance that out so it was fairly balanced. Malts are pronounced as well to mute any excessive bitterness. I found this beer somewhat reminiscent of Captain Lawrence's Palate Shifter, though it was less harsh and more sessionable. Honestly for the money I was very pleasantly surprised.

Feel- nice mouthfeel. Nothing very notable, but medium bodied and decent carbonation. Again, very pleasant.

O- not very complex but very drinkable and tasty enough to keep you interested in having a second or third bottle. Overall quite nice and can't be beat at that price point. I'm getting a little tired of spending $22-25 on a four pack of 16 ounce 7% IPAs so this provided as nice alternative.

May 06, 2021
Ptrthrck from Indiana

Had this for the first time in 2015. Loved it. World class, top notch, incredible.
Picked up a sixer yesterday for nostalgia. Hoping it was bad luck with a bad batch? Celery like after taste. Burnt mouthfeel. Kinda reminded me of swigs of Whitewater IPA after a few dirty bong rips. Not a smoker anymore, haven't done that since 2015, but that's a flavor you just don't forget...
2nd one out of the sixer? Pure bliss like I remembered, holy-o-fuck am I going down memory lane here boys. If anybody can get a dud beer, it'd be me. Nothing against Bell's. Love it, you will too. Get ya some. Great with steak, fried potatoes, ribs, ya can't go wrong fellas. Good mainstay with solid following. If a buddy turns one down, revoke the damn man card!

Apr 27, 2021
Tacoma223 from New York

Wow, just wow. I can see why this has been the #1 beer in America for the past 4 years. Absolutely gorgeous amber color. Gorgeous foamy head. In fact my profile picture is this beer. I absolutely adore it. I think it’s fairly priced for a 6pk for 11$ here in New York. Especially for the quality. The aroma is a beautiful citrus/grapefruit / sweet smelling beer. And the taste is superb. Laces the glass very nicely. If you haven’t tried this you owe it to yourself to do so.

Apr 26, 2021
ClevelandG from Ohio

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Definitely my favorite beer currently.

Great amber look, just a little bit of cloudiness.

Smells so good! Poured into standard pint glass (Bell’s) and the aroma comes right up to you.

This is the gold standard for me for an American IPA. Plenty of hops, with the hint of honey sweetness that lingers.

Nice head in the glass, not too fizzy.

Delicious!

Apr 25, 2021
winterfleur from Illinois

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An easy drinking IPA that drinks more solidly than other, hop-forward IPAs. Grapefruity and effervescent with just enough bitterness to make this bear enjoyable for a couple rounds.

Apr 19, 2021
Siriusfisherman from Vermont

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear, golden Amber with a thick creamy head and thick lacing. Aroma is very floral, citrusy, and peachy. There is a nice caramel and toasted bread note too. The flavor follows suit with a distinct juicy peach character taking center stage. The bitterness is firm, but we'll balanced by a dry yet sugary malt backbone with some toasted notes. Overall, just a perfect IPA, nothing fancy, just an incredibly well made beer.

Apr 07, 2021
MrningAfta from Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I don’t drink this beer often as I don’t like to be a repeater but EVERY DAMN TIME I come back to this beer, I remember how much I love it. Should be 5’s across the board except for whatever reason every now and again I crack a can that has a mild funk to it. It’s rare but I have encountered it more than once. Nothing offensive, just out of place. Very hard to go wrong with this one!

Mar 18, 2021
UndertheRadar from Illinois

4.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I can understand why this has become a “go-to” IPA for so many. I wanted to try it because it only uses Centennial hops. Nice appearance, nice foam, smell and taste are slightly earthy but well balanced with citrus. Not overly bitter, goes down easy, and it’s easy to drink it rather quickly. I would echo other reviewers in stating it is very well rounded and enjoyable.

Mar 14, 2021
AccipiterofBeer from New York

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter/tulip style glass.

L: 4. Goldish orange hue with a thin white head. Moderate carbonation. Lacing.
S: 3.75. Malty. Citrus.
T: 4.25. Bitterness from the hops up front and it lingers. Grapefruit. Nice malt at the back end.
F: 3.75. Medium bodied. One to appreciate not crush.
O: 4. A very well rounded American IPA. I can see why some people consider it a go-to. The amount of flavor they packed into it and the ABV encroaches into DIPA territory

Mar 12, 2021
DarkSideOfTheMoon from Virginia

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow - can't believe i havent written a review of this one since i've had it so many times. Poured from a 12 oz bottle (case from Costco - woot!) into a pint glass. Even off the pour you get the dank hops wafting to your nose. Clear, amber/copper color with a very thin, beige head & moderate carbonation. Taste is very clean and, while the piney hops are very present, they are subdued by the maltier backbone. Just a very well crafted IPA and you can tell a lot of work has gone into this beer to perfect it.

Mar 11, 2021
bushbeer75 from Michigan

4.04/5  rDev -6%

poured from a 12oz brown bottle – packaged 8/4/2020 – tasted 2/6/2021

Bells Two Hearted Ale poured into my tulip glass a lightly cloudy golden hue. Atop sat a nice 1 ½ finger foamy/bubbly white head that retained well and formed light lacing. The smell was of citrus, pine, and grapefruit. The taste follows the smell with floral up front, mixed with bitter pine and grapefruit notes at the finish. The flavor of hoppy grapefruit lingers. Mouth feel is crisp, fresh, and medium bodied.

If I were more of a “hophead” I would have scored the taste and overall/drinkability higher. Two Hearted Ale is a top shelf IPA. A must try for all the IPA lovers – you won’t be disappointed!

Mar 08, 2021
Sippinonsomedunkel from Texas

4.51/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Second time trying this American IPA. The trout on the can won me over. Being new to drinking craft beers I didn’t know what I had on my hands the first time I tried it. This time I do. Incredibly smooth feel. Mouth is absolutely confused as to what I’m tasting besides super crisp nutty citrus. Don’t really taste grapefruit as much as expected. Tangerine type nodes on my taste buds. I could easily drink these only for the rest of my days. 93/100

Jan 10, 2021
awayne56 from Texas

4.36/5  rDev +1.4%

L - Pale orange with a thick, foamy head. Appearance in the glass is clean. No cloud of floating particles whatsoever. Leaves the glass covered with lacing.
S - Light citrus on the nose. Smells like it will be refreshing to drink. Spoiler alert - it is.
T - Grapefruit up front with malt creaminess. The malt balance is just right to keep the hops in check though the taste is still very hoppy. The finish is piney: dry, slightly bitter
F - Nice malty coating in the mouth, but without overly affecting the taste.
O - Superb IPA. Very hoppy yet refreshing. Easy to find, unlike so many top-ranked IPAs. I picked this up at my local Albertsons. Also available at Target and Amazon Fresh.

Jan 02, 2021
GMoneyMagic from Michigan

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

We I was a bud light drinker, couldn't for the life of me figure out why people would drink this beer?
As I got older I found that quality over quantity was a far superior approach to life.
A quick story... Living in Michigan, you almost have to go out of your way to find a tap room that doesn't have AT LEAST ONE great beer in it. Bell's of course is a a world class brewer and and has many outstanding beers. My wife doesn't even drink and if she wants a drink this is her go to. Take that!
I think this is a reliable, authentic, and superior beer to many of the beers I have tried. This is my go to kickin' it 6'er when you want a little buzz, ton of flavor and no headache.

Dec 29, 2020
blazerkor from Nevada

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So amazing. It's both citrussy and earthy. It tastes like hops and pineapple/orange. It's mouthfeel is foamy and smooth. It finishes clean, bitter and a little sweet from the malt. It's a 5.2 out of 6... fantastic.

Dec 29, 2020
Tantonys from Maine

Excellent brew, nice mild malts and surprising delicious hopping with high alcohol content, make this a real go-to beer! If you want to go there... I say Go!

Dec 09, 2020
ChewsitMtMan from California

4.41/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

First few times were out at a bar on draught so refrained from reviewing. Bottled in July, drunk in November. Believe the smell to be more New England in nature than folks would care to admit, heavy hop scent with citrus tones. If you can discern grapefruit from lemon in a beer like this, tip of the cap. Malt tones keeps it in check, but no roasted aftertaste. Well done and balanced. If you’re from SF, this is a fort point Animal LITE.

Nov 07, 2020
LongIslandBrews from New York

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%

With this winning the award for best beer in the country, I had to try it. Picked up a 12 pack of cans.

Not disappointed.

Beautiful golden-amber color and robust head. Perfect 5/5 for looks
Smell : Unoffensive. Pleasant IPA smell.
Taste: Smooth. A decent amount bitterness from the hops. Large alcohol bite at the end. You know this is a 7 per center when you drink it, but it's not harsh. They could perhaps mellow it out at the end a bit.
Good smooth mouthfeel. Easy sipping.

Overall, this is a great beer, and I am not normally a fan of most IPAs. This one is an exception. I still question if it is really the #1 beer in the USA, because I've had many that matched, but hey, that's what some group of experts thought.

Nov 01, 2020
Saxmccoy from Georgia

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Decent enough, had on draft.
Nothing wrong with it at all, reminded me of Sierra Nevada, perhaps a bit more bitter.
Having said that not that standout as it didn't make me want to have another one. I would probably buy if it was a selection where there isn't much else other than macros.

Oct 27, 2020
LoganFarinhas from Pennsylvania

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%

This is one of the best overall beers you can purchase for the money. Here in PA you can pick-up a 6pack for $11 and the beer really does live up to it's rating here on BA. Cheers to a great AIPA.

Oct 27, 2020