Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,461 | Ratings: 13,890

Received in a sampler set and what a surprise. Very hazy color but beautifully so. Nice hop flavor without overpowering the balance, eg Hop Devil is very nicely balanced for a hoppy beer with a bit stronger flavors (one of my favorites), this is less pronounced, so it's even more roundly drinkable without losing its personality. This and Hop Devil are now my go-to IPAs, depending upon if I want a bit more or less kick. If person doesn't really like this as a craft beer, I'm not sure what that person would look for in a craft beer! Nicely brewed!!

If you haven't had Two Hearted you haven't had an IPA. I'm not going to do a LSTFO just buy if you are a IPA fan and I absolutely promise you will not be disappointed just drink and enjoy! I have had close to 100 different IPA's to date and nothing comes close to this beer. Just buy and enjoy i promise you will not be disappointed.

This is my favorite beer. My roommates and I live in Chicago, so we have many an opportunity to sample all varieties of delicious brews. This was my first IPA, and so now my taste buds are permanently spoiled. The grapefruit smell is close to the inside of a baseball glove for sheer joyful aroma.

Those against hops, keep away. Those that want to drink a manly beer and then go chop down a tree or something, have a two hearted ale.

P.S. If you're a 'liter'bug like me, read Hemingway's two short stories from which this brew gets its name. They're as stellar as it's beverage namesake.

I have numerous favorites when it comes to beer. Every style has its favorite. This beer is my favorite beer in the world. If you told me I could only have one beer to drink for the rest of my life.... This is it. I only wish it was around the 5.5 abv. So I could drink more of this delicious nectar in one sitting. Cheers beer lovers. It's a great day to be an American!!!!

Simply one of the best IPA's out there today. Perfectly hopped for those of us that don't particularly enjoy the IPA's on the market that are part of what I like to call the "hops for hops sake" fad in today's craft beer world. Bell's Two Hearted doesn't overpower your taste buds with bitterness, but that doesn't mean it is lacking in flavor. Just outstanding!

I know this isn't the best beer out there, by far, but I am just now really getting into craft brews and this is the best I have had so far. This is my favorite beer and it is 5/5 for everything until I can start trying more, which I fully intend to do - until then, this is the bar.

Two Hearted ale is a gold color. The aroma is well balanced with potent smells of wheat and grape. The taste was great with caramel and malt being the main flavors that I could taste. Overall it was a light and well balanced beer. Would definitely recommend.

This is my favorite by far. I also enjoy a very hoppy IPA but this is so drinkable and delicious. I have to go to out of my way to find it but it's worth it.

Consumed over and over, often cases at a time, from 12 ounce bottles.

Appearance: As my girlfriend says, this is the color of the gates of heaven. Pure mahogany to be serious, the color is lighter than it tastes.

Smell: Hoppy, yet sweet. This double IPA's smell alone makes you forget regular IPAs.

Taste: Awesome. It goes beyond pure hops, adding some sweetness to it. The bite of IPAs is gone, too, making this an unbelievably easy drinking strong beer. If you use this as a session beer, look out.

Mouthfeel: Certainly not thin, but not overly thick either.

Overall: My favorite beer. Only a person with no heart will dislike Two Hearted. Forget Christmas: The Grinch's heart would grow 10 times after ddrinking this beer. My girlfriend drools when thinking about this beer. No further comments, please.

beeradvocate dudes: What's up? 78. Please give this one another try.

The IPA by which I judge all others. And now it comes in cans and is perfect for outdoor adventures. I love this beer!

Great head retention, with lacing that lingers until the beer is gone...

Floral, grapefruit, piney nose, Fantastic.

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. Just the right amount of hop bitterness without being overpowering. Almost perfect.

Overall, the best beer I have ever tasted. It's always in my refrigerator.

This beer is the reason I love beer. It's my gold standard which I compare all other hoppy beers to.

The most perfect combination of hops I have yet to come across. beautiful balance of floral and citrus notes. beautiful amber/apricot pour. smooth and perfect finish.

I cannot recommend this beer enough.

Those Bells boys in Kalamazoo know what they're doing. I've only been disappointed with 1 or 2 out of the 10-15 beers of theirs that I've tried.

As perfect as an IPA as I could ask for; a very favorite. Strikes the perfect balance between hops and malt, retaining characters of both in flavor (far too many IPAs are stupidly hoppy, heavy-handed). Smooth and endlessly drinkable, my ideal session brew. Perfect head, beautiful color. The benchmark against which I judge other IPAs, and indeed, other beers in general.

I'll say it this way: it's the only beer that I'm offering at my wedding next spring :)

My gateway drug to the wonderful world of IPA and Double IPA. I really can't say anything on here that hasn't been said before except, I honestly believe if I was restricted to one beer for the rest of my life, I could make it on this one.

Look: Orange Gold, white head
Smell: apricot, grapefuit, oranges
Taste: citrus, floral, caramel, perfectly balanced hops and malts
Feel: refreshing and perfect
Overall: best readily available IPA in existence

Things I like...

LL Bean boots.
Canoeing a wilderness river.
Reading Thoreau.
Frontline on PBS.
A wood stove in the winter.
Flyfishing in Autumn.
A long roadtrip driving to Alaska.
Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

I've tried quite a few beers, and this beer deserves it's own category, it's almost beyond what you can call beer.

Pours a clear deep gold that leaves a two finger head. The aroma is candied oranges and pineapple. Smells floral, sweet, bitter, and delicious. The taste is perfect. Starts of slightly bitter but a nice caramel sweetness comes in to balance it out. Not too sweet, yet not too bitter. Perfect balance. I get mostly citrus wrapped in caramel candy. Drinkability is extremely high. This is the best single IPA I have ever had, granted I live in Florida and do not have access to most California and other west coast IPAs. The perfect beer in every way. Great for noobs, great for hop heads, and great for those who are looking to get into IPAs. A+

Gorgeous white head, poured from a bottle into a shaker. Sticky lacing embraces the glass. A cloudy, golden, sun kissed liquid honey graces my vision.

Hoppy, malt goodness on the nose. Citrus flower blossoms blends with the sweet bready aroma of the malts, heavenly.

Bubblegum, sweetbreads, and shortcake dance on my tongue. Apricots and grapefruit, orange peel and a hint of lemon zest...mingle with the malty sweetness...finishing with a well balance hoppy smile that has graced my face.

This is truly one of the great American beers. Complex but balanced beyond words. I dream of beer but this beer is made of dreams. Perfection.

This is my go to beer when I don't know what I want. Every time I pop a new one it reminds me of what beer can be. Poured a 12oz bottle into my Chimay chalice. This beer pours a hazy, raw honey orange with a billowing 2 finger head that left sticky lacing down the chalice. The aroma is a explosion of citrus. Grapefruit is predominant with bits of orange and lemon. Also sweet grassy notes come through on the finish. The taste is what hops done correctly taste like. Grapefruit and lemon balance with just a bit of spicy/grassy notes. All the hops are balanced extremely well with a malty sweetness that comes out on the finish. The mouthfeel is full and leaves a wonderful coating of hoppy bitterness all around your mouth. This beer isn't a hop monster, its well balanced and goes down smoothly. The only knock is it comes in a little high on the alcohol content to be a session beer. Thanks Bell's Brewery for making one of the Worlds best beers.

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to IPAs since I have so many great ones to choose from in my area and I love them dearly. That being said, Bell's Two Hearted Ale is one I'll never not have in my beer fridge (not for a lack of trying to drink them all). For me, its the perfect IPA, highly floral with light fruity notes and a strong hoppy attitude. The bitter bite isn't beastly like you may see with so many other IPAs (particularly those of lower quality) but rather justly emboldened. This is, to me, the pinnacle of craft IPAs with the correct addition of fruity and floral flavors (and smells), right between a boring hoppy beer or some bastardized fruit cocktail.

Best beer by Bells for sure. One of my favorite in the world. Anyone who drinks IPAs and has not had this- I feel sorry for you. Get it and drink it. I would love to try this wet hopped as well maybe they would do this once- would make it even better.

Thank you for creating this gold standard!

Unmatched balance of malt supporting the hops. Great depth of flavors and aromatics which remain throughout length of taste and continuing with mouthful. Stands above all other APAs and never varies year after year.

Once of the best. . Floral ,Hoppy, smooth with a nice finish. A nice 7% beer. It is definitely a world class beer.
You owe it to yourself to try it out. You will not be disappointed.

This is such a well done IPA , this is craft beer done right . I wish it was more available in los angeles definitely would be my go to beer .This brew is so easy to drink so well balance .

I am sorry about my rating, but I just had to. This is one of my favorite beers of all time. We are starting to see this on tap at more and more places in Minneapolis, and not just dank beer bars anymore, so I have been drinking more and more of it, and boy, it just keeps getting better. The way Guiness defines stout, and Sierra Nevada defines pale ale, I feel that two hearted ale defines IPA. It pours the same amber color of most PA's, with a slight head that has great retention and provides lacing to the last sip. The aroma is where you find out it is IPA, not a PA, with a complex, hoppy smell. The taste follows up on the smell, an array of hops from piney to fruity to citrusy, that all blend together, with the dry-apple flavor following shortly. This is at the top of my deserted island beers. Good for one or two, or great for the whole evening.

This IPA may be the best. Orangle colored, low to no foam head, hoppy, citrus finish, that's so enjoyable then a sixer or two wouldn't be an issue to drink in one sitting.

Whenever I go searcing for this brew it's typically sold off of all the shelves. I would like to see Bell's at some more Beer Festivals so they can get the word out on the great taste and flavor of this exceptional Michigan brew

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.