Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

#636

Ratings: 14,492 |  Reviews: 3,595
4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my go to beer; always have some on hand and it never disappoints. Full IPA flavor without declaring war on your taste buds. One of the first and still one of the best craft brews I've tastes!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy orange color, frothy lingering white head. Nice hop aromas from enormous hop additions. Love the American malts on the front end and nice crisp finish incredibly floral hops on the back end.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Orange amber color with light foamy head. Head dissipates quickly but leaves lacing all the way down. Aroma is of grapefruit and pine, some fruitiness foreshadows the rich sweet taste. For me, a good balance between hops and malt. Feels substantial in your mouth. I drink this beer all the time. It has great hop flavor with rich malty sweetness and doesn't cost a lot. My favorite IPA for the price.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pale Golden Copper. Thick frothy white cap. Tightly etched rings of lace.

Bursting with floral, resins, orange, spicy hops aromas. Mildly toasty bread/cracker.

Crisp citrus and floral resins. mild toastiness, cracker, a touch of sweetness. Spicy floral resinous bitterness. Nice bitter bite, but not a palate wrecker. Skewed towards the hops in this one.

Crisp, slightly sticky and drying. med body, great feel. Slow steady med carbonation.

Awesome drinkability. Such a drinkable IPA. Crisp, refreshing, tasty ass shit! One of my go-to beers in late college. As responsible as SNPA for my craft beer and hop addiction. Bell's please distribute to WA. I'd buy the 2Hearted all the time.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Excellent IPA. Full-bodied, thick, bursting with pine resin. Strong depiction of the style. Pairs exceedingly well with a variety of spicy foods.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

One of my favorite ipas. Very "juicy" with a great balance of hops and malt. Still the nice bitterness but so easy to drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is amazing!!!!!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a glass the same temperature as the beer. Lovely orange/amber color. Very hazy. Two finger head that settles rocky and lasts. Some sticky lacing after beer warms. The smell is clean citrus hops with an underlying fruitiness. Grapefruit and tangerine. Maybe strawberries? My wife who does not drink at all thinks the smell is terrific.

Taste is of course hops up front. The rest completely follows the nose. Both citrus and some melon. Watermelon? Malts are not outstanding but with enough backbone to carry and balance the hops but is not huge on the palate. Very juicy.

Medium body that carries the hops well. Building malts as as the beer warms leaving a bit of bread on the finish for a fuller mouthfeel. Crisp, fresh and extremely drinkable. Definitely carved out a spot in my beer cooler.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

After a bad experience with their Cherry Stout I had to try something else a little more redeeming. This poured out a slightly murky golden orange with a tall white rocky head. As the head shrank into the body scattered lacing was left to coat the glass. Very hoppy aroma with citric and floral hops coming out in abundance. There was a slight hint of malt to it at times. Taste was very similar very hoppy all the way through this one with citric and earthy flavors coming together for a great taste. A bitter hoppy aftertaste is how this ended. Mouthfeel was creamy with about a medium body. I could drink this all day, great flavor and aroma too bad I only picked up 2 bottles. Highly recommend to all hop heads and anyone that likes a good brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This brew was recommended to me by HardTarget. He said "this is your new 'White Whale'". This was quite an awesome brew - I wish it was available in this area, it would easily make its way into my beer rotation and become a stand-by in my fridge. Thank you, HardTarget, it was an excellent recommendation, and a very unique IPA.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a DFH shaped pint glass.

Appearance - It pours a hazy translucent golden orange. It created a 2 finger frothy white head that slowly dissipates. It never fully disappears and leaves a decent bit of lacing behind. The head retention is pretty amazing on this one.

Smell - The smell is pretty awesome. I get the standard IPA scents, but this one has a bit more as well. I can smell notes of grapefruit, lemon, slight pine, but overall it is very floral. There are also notes of mikans and tangerine which is tied closely with a sweetness that is fairly dominant in the scent.

Taste - The flavor is fantastic. I taste the same thing that I can smell in the scent. It is flowery, with notes of grapefruit, a hint of pine, and a decent bit of tangerine What I like about this beer is that is pretty balanced with the malt. There is a caramel sweetness that doesn't compete with or get overpowered by the hops - very balanced.

Mouthfeel - When I taste it, I can tell that this is an American IPA but it doesn't have that astringent, mouth tearing, palate destroying hop-slap-in-the-mouth feeling to it. It is velvety smooth with a light/medium body. The carbonation is fairly light, but it doesn't detract from the overall feel.

Drinkability - Very synergistic. Beer doesn't get more drinkable than this. If I could get this on a regular basis, I could easily drink a sixer to myself. This is an IPA I can could a ton of and still feel like my palate could handle another style of beer with no problem.

This brew was great. Go get some.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz bottle. Label code 7150.

Sunny orange, slightly hazy body with a huge, frothy white head. A thing of beauty among IPAs. Mega-lacing left behind, too.

Nose is fresh-cut citrus with a noticeable malt component. The smell alone gets my mouth watering.

Flavor is huge with a piney citrus blast.Plenty of malt backbone there, to hold things together, but never overdone. There is just exactly as much sweetness as is required to offset that hop blast, not one iota more. This is one of the most well balanced IPAs I have ever had, up there with Goose Island (probably better). If I lived within range of either of these, they would be staples in my beer fridge.

Mouthfeel is that wonderfully tart and tangy, nearly astringent, highly carbonated zing of a top-notch IPA.

Drinkability is insane. It's hard to make this last, it just keeps going down, heavenly sip after sip. Again, I wish I lived within distro range of this one so I could get my hands on it regularly. Next summer, I'm bringing back a case!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (April 13, 2010). This bottle is from a sixer that's just been picked up a few hours ago. The batch info area on the rear label is empty, so no freshness info, but I'll know soon enough once we open the bottle.

I've been enjoying this beer for years, time to review it and make it official.

Eyes: Pours a hazy darkish amber with a nice finger and a half of fluffy white head. Lacing is pretty and heavy.

Nose: A very potent and delicious hop profile. Many DIPAs have a less impressive nose. A nice citrus/grapefruit profile dominates. Few IPAs supply such an inviting nose.

Tongue: The nose doesn't deceive. A strong fresh sweet citrus assault on the tongue. Much less grassy and piney than the tasty citrus grapefruit flavors, but everything comes together nicely. The balance is spot on.

Mouth: Good carbonation, generally smooth aftertaste, even with that hop punch. This goes down extremely easy. The 7% ABV is undetectable.

Libation: What a great beer! Solid throughout, and truly delicious. I feel fortunate that this beer is so freely available in this market. Great work from Bell's and especially impressive is the year round availability of such a solid offering.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Made my own six in a Texas HEB and for the first time I see some Bell's brewery chilling there waiting for me! I just got Two Hearted this time because there were one or two more exciting choices and a LOT of really cheap incredible beers or ones that I hadn't heard of.

Pours an orange gold with a bit of haze into a pint glass. Keeps a thin ring of foam and one-sided, spotty lacing. The smell and taste take this to a whole new level.

Smell is dank, piney, grapefruit, thing wreeks of hops. Taste follows suit with the hoppy bitter, pine, grass, grapefruit, and a floral aftertaste. This beer is pretty crazy good. I very much regret not going ahead and grabbing the full Bell's catalogue available at the store so I could give all their beers a shot.

Maybe you guys across the country are spoiled, but this is super good and deserves the ratings I am throwing at it. The freshness has to have something to do with it, being packaged on 2/21/17. Good shit!

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: pours out with a frothy 2 inch head which slowly dissipates. Nice lacing that sticks around. Color is a nearly translucent dark orange. Average amount of carbonation.

S: hops are clearly present - you can smell the grapefruit (cascade hops?) but there is also a slight sweetness there as well.

T+M: this beer is do balanced. There is a slight malt presence in the front end but is followed up by a strong hop finish. However - the hops are not overpowering. Mouthfeel is good.

Overall: one of the best American IPAs. If you can't buy it in your state - it's worth a road trip to stock up.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 4.27 out of 5 with 14,492 ratings