Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 14,312 |  Reviews: 3,560

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Just pouring this beer made me think to myself 'damn, why didn't I drink more of this when it was more readily available?!'

A - Golden hazy in color with a creamy head that teases the top of the glass. Foam hangs around for a while and leaves almost chunks behind and an unevenly laced glass.

S - Yum! A bunch of sweet, a bit citrus, and hops! Wrap that up with a bit of malty caramel. Such a lovely beer

T - Sweet hops and caramelly malts. This beer tugs at your heart strings in both directions.... hmm Two Hearted Ale. Now I get it!

M - Smooth with some carbonation. Not dry. Not a huge aftertaste, but you won't forget it. Really great beer.

D - Drink ability? YES! Bring me another case and another for tomorrow. I don't wanna share! Now leave me alone so I can enjoy my beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Stoked to finally get to try a Bell's beer. Two Hearted is all I could have hoped for. Pours a deep amber with a nice white head. The hop profile is a beauty and takes control of this beer from sip one. The balance is very nice. Oh so smooth of a brew. I certainly hope this is not the last of the Two Hearted I sample. I love it. These better come east!

4.6/5  rDev +8%

If someone told me they don't like IPAs and I only had one beer to convince them otherwise, it would be the two hearted ale. My goodness, how does this beer stand so tall against its peers while being drinkable to newbs? Two Hearted would be at my last supper, regardless of whether beer snob was plating a 5-course or Mom was cooking.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer, I have loved this beer from the first time I tried it although it put a damper on my LSAT scores the next morning. Which therein lies the problem. Its so tasty you want to keep drinking them, and they are 7.00% which means if you drink a six pack you have really drank way more than a six pack. This was my first real introduction to Bell's and it remains a mainstay in my fridge, and I just so happened to catch this one on sale for the bargain price of $8.99 a sixer. I figured after all these years I would review this pleasuredome of a beer. I mean Coleridge would have surely written about this one had he lived long enough to try it. What doesn't it have. Its a beautiful ale.

The color: A golden ruby color.

The smell: a gorgeous piney sweet nectar, not as much floral and tropical as mountainous and northern.

The taste: Now this is where it gets real. It has a balance like no other, and for the price its a steal. Its lovely, sweet, yet piney and bitter in the perfect kind of way. Its the foundation on which the Hopslam is built upon. Not as strong, but just a great brew all the way around.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottles. My go to IPA. cant go wrong with this one. Pours cloudy, but clarifies into a mostly translucent hard amber-- by which I mean the amber that entombs certain prehistoric insects. An ivory, two finger head is produced that leaves no sticky lacing.

Lightly carbonated.

The fruitiness and sweetness are incredibly prominent, and I really have a hard time believing this is an IPA-- but that IPA bitterness is very much there at the end, and provides an interesting and welcome contrast to the first flavors. The flavor system present in this beer is incredibly complex, and while it can easily be downed in a few gulps, it really must be savored to be truly appreciated.

One of my go to IPAs. Delicious

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle marked batch 7168 into a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden hued orange color with a half finger white foamy head that diminished slowly to light white sticky lacing. Aroma is rich of floral hops, nicely accented by sweet malt pairings. Taste is absolutely incredible, excellent balance between hops and malt, yet far more complex, it's like nothing I've tasted before. At first taste, this IPA tarts off with a quick hoppy bite that is rich in citrus and floral notes, before giving way to a softer, caramelly sweet maltiness that leaves you wanting more. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, slick on the tongue, coats the mouth with a nice light oily feeling. Very, very drinkable, I think I may have a new favorite session beer, I will seek out more of this beer very soon.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

poured from bottle into a slightly chilled pint glass.

appearance: nice pale straw-amber color with some hazing.

smells of fresh pine, citrus and slight malt.

tastes of hops and nice balanced malts. not as much hops as smell would dictate. very smooth with just enough a hop-bite. this pairs perfectly with a spicy pineapple habenero salsa.

mouthfeel is about right very easy to drink.

very drinkable and very balanced smooth ipa!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Poured into a pint glass. Body is golden honey-amber with a half-finger fluffy ivory head that sits well. Nice splotches of lace left behind.

S: Wow. This is what I want an IPA to smell like. Fresh C-hops are there in force. Grapefruity, lemony and juicy hops. Very, very pleasant nose.

T: Foundation of lighter malt is then subsumed by hops. Think juicy, sugar-coated grapefruit and a touch of resiny pine, though with the grapefruit the more dominant flavor. Finishes with a slightly grassy lemony taste to it as well.

M: Lighter than medium in heft, with carbonation perhaps a bit more active than I'd like. But all in all it's real smooth in the mouth, so maybe that carbonation isn't too much after all (<bumps score to 4.5>).

D: If this isn't a 5 then I want to meet the beer that is. Immensely drinkable. I had one with dinner (some sort of Moroccan-type chicken dish with cilantro) and had been planning to save the last of the sixer for some other special occasion but couldn't resist. Inasmuch as I cannot get this beer in NY, I am uncertain when I will get to sample this one again. For that I am sad.

Notes: My wife was drinking a Stone IPA while I was drinking this, so I did the Pepsi challenge. We both liked the Two Hearted better. It's lighter and a bit finer, but went down more easily. If I had access to this in NY, I would buy it by the case.

Batch 10216

A-golden amber with a nice white head
S-nice citrsy hops invite me in...
T-amazing. Sweet grapefruit taste that really wowed me for the first time in a while. I always forget how great this beer is
M-medium bodied and so smooth
D-rediculosuly drinkable, awesome!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Received this 12 oz. bottle in a recent trade with froggyfrog. Poured to a pint glass. What's the deal with the fish on the label? and the name: two hearted? I digress...

A: Hazy golden color, very warm with some shades of amber and a huge frothy off-white head, at least 2 fingers. Dissolves v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y... Busy streams of carbonation and nice lacing.

S: Wow, they weren't kidding about "enormous hops" on the label...big fruity, resinous and floral hops explode out of the glass. Sweet malts are present, too. Nose is predominantly tangerine/citrus and sourdough bread. Smells wonderful.

T: Hoppy and juicy sweet. Great full flavors of citrus and loads of grainy/sugary malt. A nearly perfect IPA, holds it's own with any of the best that my area (Pacific NW) can offer...great balance.

M: Crisp and clean, with a medium body and full mouthfeel. MY tongue curled at the sides, salivating from the copious juicy hops. Surprisingly sweet thoughout, but with a nice lingering bitterness and smooth citrus-hopped backbone.

D: Simply a wonderful IPA! No doubt I'd have another of these - fortunately I received two in the trade. Thanks again, JE!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Fresh filled growler from a friend who found a way to import a keg to New York served in a standard pint glass.

L - slightly clouded orange/yellow color with a off-white head that left streaks of lacing on the glass.

S - pine and citrus hop aromas fill the nose.

T - piney, citrusy bitter hops with just enough malt to keep my tongue from falling off.

F - medium bodied, somewhat slick with mild carbonation.

D - hell yeah!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I’m marking my 300th review on BA with this write up on Bell’s Two Hearted. It’s a special treat for me. Even though I grew up in Kalamazoo I have spent my adult (beer drinking) in Texas and California—places where Michigan beers are not distributed.

Since it is now New Year’s eve I thought I’d share a story of last year when I shared some Two Hearted with my mother. She smelled it and said it smelled wonderful, just full of light citrus and grapefruit and floral aromas. … and then she tasted it. Her face soured and she handed it back to me. Of course I gladly took it back. That was probably the first and only time she tried an IPA. I love telling this story to friends, and especially about Two Hearted.

The Two Hearted I’m enjoying over the holiday break came from a six pack bottled mid-December so I know it’s fresh. Looks great, the color of golden-honey with nice clarity and a wonderful head of foam topping it. My mother’s aroma description still holds—floral, citrus pine with some grapefruit zest and spicy hops rounding it out. Tastes piney and bold with some resin. A bit of chew gives it heft, and there’s a pleasant hop bitterness but a sweetness from the excellent malt bill balances it out. Fantastic finish. And, incidentally, wonderful art on the bottle. Feliz año Nuevo!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A-Golden in color with a fine head. Riddled with bubbles.

S-Big fruity hops. Clementines. Very smooth smell. Malt is nicely intertwined. Smells like a damn good brew.

T-Hello! Absolutely delectible hop profile. Not violently bitter but more refined and palatable. Fruity hops take over my tongue. Subtle malt, hop foward. I get an almost bubblegum taste on the back end. Delicious and modestly unique.

M-Exceptional mouthfeel. Well carbonated yet slick. Sticks to your tongue. Hop flavors never go away.

D-The alcohol is completely silenced. A 7% brew that could easily sneak up on you especially because the flavor is savory. I wish I could get this beer all the time. Why won't you reside in MA with me? Would be my go-to beer if I could get it locally.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.