Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 14,234 |  Reviews: 3,540

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The label on the bottle I had was different than the BA pic. Mine was of a trout's head depicted in various shades of green.

This is a cloudy beer between amber and gold in color. A very nice, sticky, resilient white meringue type head reminiscent of a good homebrew.

Wonderful citrusy hops in the nose upon smell and after the sip. Nice maltiness in the finish. Slight chewiness in the body but crisp enough in the finish to prepare me for the next sip.

I'm not a huge hop head and this is a fairly hoppy beer but one that I could easily drink in a session. I am glad I decided to add this one to my mixed sixer.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

355ml bottle poured into a 16oz tulip. Packaged 06/22/12. Thanks to Matt for this one!

A - Pours a deep, vibrant orange color with a thick foamy head, slightly off-white. Fantastic head retention and lacing. Looks excellent.

S - Juicy tropical hops upfront. Pineapple, mango, light grapefruit, orange, and boatloads of peach. Earthy pine notes underneath that as well. The peachy hop might be the most prominent aroma here, honestly. A thin layer of caramel malt for some sweetness and balance, but this aroma is all about the bright, fruity hops. Floral, citrusy, and everything I love in a good IPA.

T - Surprisingly big malt presence, which is the first thing that hits me. Toasty and bready caramel malt, with some biscuity notes. The hops are definitely here, but not exactly as the nose had implied. There's a fair helping of mango, pineapple, and grapefruit, but the peachy sweetness is really toned down. There's also a bigger pine character in the finish, giving it a much more robust and resinous feel. A nice blend of floral, tropical, piney hops fade into a long lasting bitter finish and aftertaste. Not a ton of balance here, but it isn't really needed; the hop profile here is awesome.

M - Low but prickly carbonation with a medium bodied weight. Lingering bitterness, with a slightly sticky feel. Fairly smooth and easy drinking all around.

D - For me, this beer didn't quite live up to the hype. However, this should really stand as a benchmark for what a good American IPA should be. This beer had everything you would expect from the style, from the light toasty and bready caramel malt backbone, to the big, assertive hop presence in the finish. A nice balance between the piney/earthy/herbal hops, and the tropical/fruity ones as well. Altogether, this makes for a delicious and drinkable brew that any true beer lover should try at least once. Remarkable, but not quite world-class.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

L:Clear orange brownish color. One finger white frothy head.
S:Excellent fresh grapefruit. In the middles it smells like fresh cut grash. Very resiny. Just a touch of biscuit.
T:Light caramel fullness all throughout. Big citrusy creamy grapefruit hoppiness.
M:Rich fat bubbles give it an awesome round feeling. Very creamy
D:This is by far one of the most well balanced IPA's. I love this beer, I can sit down a drink a ton of this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours cloudy copper color, citrus hoppy aroma, nice hop profile, crazy ass foamy clingy head. Juicy grapefruit-citrus flavors, medium bodied IPA with a nice rounded full mouthfeel, this may be the most drinkable IPA I have ever tasted, I just can't stop at one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance-somewhere around copper

smell- sweet with some citrus

taste- just an amazing mix. hops and floral

mouthfeel- good mix of carbonation nice crisp finish

drinkability-" well suited for adventurous trips o the upper Peninsula."

one of my Favorites

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Kalamazoo has been my second "home town" for 10 years...I've had the pleasure of drinking a lot of great Bell's beers over time, many of which right at their famed "Eccentric Cafe" in downtown Kalamazoo. Finally I'm properly reviewing their much-famed "Two Hearted" IPA. I'll be honest- this has been one of my "go-to IPAs" for years, so this will probably get a favorable score!

A: Pouring a half-finger of off-white head which dissipated quickly. Lacing is better than average, with unremarkable retention. The beer itself is a lovely, opaque orange/amber with carbonation bubbles faintly visible.

S: In a word: KILLER. Smells like an IPA should smell...grassy, pine, floral hoppiness with a caramel candy undertone.

T: Loads of pine, citrus rind, and a touch of that caramel malt to wrap up each sip. This is definitely the easiest drinking 7.0 ABV that I'm aware of. A superbly balanced American IPA flavor.

M: Dry, crisp mouthfeel with light carbonation- a text book example of how an IPA should feel while drinking...effortless!

O: Man, I'm really going to be hurting if I ever leave Kalamazoo...I have tried IPA after IPA and I always come back to Bell's Two Hearted, like a lost cat always finds their way home. It's definitely one of my Top 5 IPAs and an all-around reliable partner in crime. EVERY beer connoisseur should check this off their list at LEAST once!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer really impressed me. I am not a hop-head and it's a style that up to recently I did'nt spend much time on, but I am exploring more now. I enter each one with caution. Pour is cloudy rosy orange, rocky head. Smell is great, floral and fruity, hops right. Taste and mouthfeel is smooth, light, nice hop presence with just the right amount of bitterness, fruity but not overly so. Overall this beer does'nt make my mouth pucker, and I would love to have had lots more, but only bought a single, will be looking forward to it coming to my state, I hope.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

A 12 oz bottled poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a somewhat hazy apricot color. Nice two finger head that leaves a good looking film on top with a good amount of lace.

S - Wow - this smells amazing. Lots of rich pine and citrus notes. Very hoppy.

T - Delicious. Loads of hops. Lots of pine, a bit of sweetness, a bit bitter at the end, and everything one would want out of a big IPA. Goes down maybe a bit too smooth, but overall very nice.

M - A bit thin/watery at first, but opens up a lot mid-way. Leaves a bit to linger on my palate after each sip.

O - A wonderful IPA. I've seen this on the shelf at local grocery/liquor stores for a while but hadn't picked it up until today ... kicking myself that I didn't try this sooner.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from bottle to tumbler.

Appearance - Lighter than most IPA's more golden-orange than dark amber. Nice big frothy 2 finger head that laces very nicely.

Smell - This beer smells phenomenal, there is not a much better smelling beer in my opinion. Flowery hops abundent along with nice citrus and pine notes. A bit of sweet detected and maybe a whiff of the malts. A tiny bit of alcohol makes it just right.

Taste- Tastes like it smells, and it smells wonderful. Very floral, earthy taste, nice citrus hops. Alcohol is apparent but it fits in nicely. The malts are sitting behind here, but can be tasted and balance this beer very well. Not overly bitter, bits of honey and sweet caught.

Mouthfeel - Perfect carbonation here, just the right bite on the tongue, not overpowering here. Feels like silk.

Drinkability - Awesome drinkability, this is my go to beer. I buy it when fishing, working in the yard, etc etc. I could drink a 6-pack so easily.

One of my absolute favorite beers, there are few that top this IPA in my opinion.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

A: After a hard pour, Clear amber/orange color with a pillowy off-white head. Lacing is great as this beer goes down.

S: Floral hops are abundant and fresh. Pine, citrus and some peppery notes to follow. Toasted and bready malts are in the background. The hops certainly stand out and are winning my olfactory senses over.

T: Spicy and crisp hop bite up front but not too bitter. Floral hop freshness is incredible. Almost a jasmine floral taste that blends in very well with this beer. A peppery finish to the hops.
Malt is lightly toasted and semi-sweet with some honey notes.

M: Medium body, crisp carbonation and a spicy, dry finish.

D: Super drinkable IPA, so much freshness and great flavor without becoming bitter and off balanced. One of my favorite IPA's of all time! It is so refreshing and easy going and I am not a hophead either.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.