Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |
Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,443 | Ratings: 13,813
3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

A = A very pretty amber IPA, long-lasting head with lacing.
S = True to the label, it is heady with hops!
T = For the IPA lover, this would be heaven; for me, too hoppy, but IPAs aren't a favorite. Leaves a floral, hoppy aftertaste on the tongue.
M = A slight bit creamy and not overly carbonated. Quite nice!

I am not an IPA lover by any means. In fact, I am allergic to the hops as my head stuffs up almost immediately after the first few sips of drinking an IPA. But, the label didn't identify itself as an IPA, only in the verbiage on the back label did I discover its pedigree. So, in fairness, I would have to say in this review that this is one of the better IPAs I've tasted, although I would have initially skipped it if I had known it was an IPA! Very cool artwork on the label, too.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Cloudy yellow with a orange hue to it. White head leaving small amounts of lacing in the glass. Pine and citrus up front with a caramel and fair amount of biscuit in the background. Citrus, pine, and a lemony finish with a nice balance of biscuity flavors noticed with each sip. Higher on the carbonation scale and a medium body makes the one pretty nice to drink.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice orange copper color with a 1/2" head that lasted. The smell was at first a little biscuity but then the citrusy smells kicks in. The taste is initially of apricot to me but becomes hoppy with citrus flavors as it hits the back of the tongue. It's a nice tingle crisp feel.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

12oz bottle into tulip pint.

Pours a cloudy golden color with a thick frothy white head that leaves a web of lacing.

The hops are a very nice balance between pine and citrus notes in both the nose and taste. There are pleasant biscuit malts that come through in the finish of the taste.

It has a well carbonated, medium body.

A very well done IPA, and if it were distributed near me would no doubt be a staple in my fridge.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Orange golden in color with a two finger off-white soapy head that has very good retention and moderate lacing. Poured into my Bell's pint glass.
S: Floral, pine, citrus aromas are all subtle but present.
T: Very hoppy with citrus up front, followed by malt presence and a sharp bitter finish that lingers. Well balanced beer.
M: Medium bodied with clean finish and moderate carbonation.
O: Balanced brew that was very enjoyable and one that I will seek out again.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada Snifter. The appearance is good. It comes out a citrus golden color, with some pretty good clarity. The white head was pretty big with an aggressive pour and it provides some very good lacing. Lots of different sized bubbles and there the head sticks around for most of the session, good looking IPA.

Smells good, like most IPA's the hops jump out at you. Citrus hops jump out at you the most. There's a slight sweetness in the smell too, almost a natural sugar to it. There really isn't much else to say here, it's pretty straight forward. I just wish it was a little stronger in the smell.

Taste is a step up from the smell. Slightly complex balance between the malts and hops. Again the hops are the stronger more dominant features in the beer. Citrus zest bitterness is the by far the strongest feature of the flavor profile. Still it's pretty well malted, there are slight features of pale roasted malts that provide a little bit of sweetness. A good tasting IPA overall.

The moutfeel is good, light bodied, and pretty refreshing. It's pretty smooth and has a slightly earthy finish, but overall clean. A pretty drinkable IPA, but gets better if you slow down and let it warm up. All in all it's a very good IPA, I've heard a lot of good things about this beer and I think it's pretty good. I'd like to have it a little more accessible to me to give it more of a chance, but I'm glad to have the opportunity to drink and review Two Hearted Ale.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Bottle poured into glass.
Smells fruity; not just grapefruit, but sweeter.
Tastes fruity as well. No malt to speak of, but despite this it's still tasty and interesting and doesn't just rake the palate with dish soap bitterness. The finish is certainly bitter like any good IPA, but by the end of the glass you notice the fruity hoppy flavor much more than the bite. Well done.
On the scale from balanced, complex beer to one-dimensional hop bomb:

Sierra Nevada Torpedo=Bells Two Hearted > NOLA Mechahopzilla >> Green Flash West Coast IPA

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

I thought I had found a goto favorite drinking IPA in 6 packs when I first tried it after drinking some draft brews at a beer place. My tongue palate must have been shot.

Don't get me wrong, it is just that Founders Centennial IPA became my go to 6-pack IPA a week later. Modern Times' City of the Sun, what I am drinking now, it better.

This beer is better than average, meaning better than Sierra Nevada. It's also better than a majority of west coast IPA's. So, this is good stuff. Slightly bitter, but decently balanced.

I will drink this again.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Dark yellow amberand transparent with a good inch and a half of nearly white head that keeps its form fairly well. Little sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Pouring it in gives the color an amber opaqueness.

Smells hoppy like an American IPA. The hop taste is not overpowering at all. Some grains also come through. A good balance here. But don't expect a lot of hops in this one. Even the bitter bite of the hops is subdued quickly in favor of malts' sweet feel. Overall a good beer, very drinkable, but like I said don't expect a lot of hops in this one.

Cheers

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Bottle poured into a sam adams perfect pint.

A- Very clear golden yellow with a nice foamy 2 finger head. Pretty classic pale ale.
S- A surprisingly strong aroma when being poured and through the foam on top. centennial hops, Somewhat fruity, lemons and orange. But very skunky in a nice way. A very sweet smell coming from this one and it has a rather light characteristic.
T- Some fruit skunkyness on the way in. A surprising alcohol presence but only every so often. Not very bitter for an IPA. This really has a lot of taste characteristics similar to a gold ale or lager.
M- Not a lot of bitterness from the hops and a very light/easy to drink quality. Goes down smoother then smooth and rather refreshing.
O- I have had this a long time ago and remember it being better then it is. Id like to think that its because I got an old bottle but its less then 2 months old. Having said that, its a good beer, more along the lines of a pale ale then an IPA in my opinion. A good choice for any entry level IPA drinkers or somebody wanting a hoppy taste that wont bog them down.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

A. A pale orange with fluffy white head. Not completely clear, but not completly hazy. Slight activity from bottom to top. Pretty sticky with nice lacing draping the side of my glass.

S. Very light, white grapes, a little bit of peach, grainy, dry hops, and some slight caramel. Too light in the nose. I wish there was more here, because the scents that come up and out are pretty good.

T. Tons of grain and malt tastes. Fairly dry hopped. Light caramel accents, and really sticky on the tongue. Some woody tastes are present as well. Its a little rough but its definitely what I was in the mood for.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Ale pours a dirty gold with a finger head. Nice lacing down the pint glass. Citrus aroma, hops strike first up front with a good solid malt backbone the provides a bittersweet finish. Very drinkable and pleasant but nothing spectacular considering the premium price ($12/6 pack Kentucky). It would be a great value at $8.99/6 pack.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

served in a Sam Adams tulip glass. Thick white foam on top about 1 in. thick. Clear golden orange color that turned hazy after the yeast mixed in from the sediment.

Smell was good. citrus and floral notes. not that pronounce for an IPA though.

taste was a good balance of malt and herbal citrusy hops... not as dominant as most American IPAs

medium body good carbonation

Overall a good IPA that was medium on the hops.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks to Jlindros for sharing.

A - Poured into a standard tulip glass with a creamy head that leaves nice side lacing

S - Nice candy citrus hop aromas with a nice sweet malt. Not as upfront and fragrant as I would like.

T - much betterthan the nose. Good candy citrus hops with a strong sweet malt finish.

O - Overall I really enjoyed this beer liked the candied aspect.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Picked up two of these as part of a mixed-six in Traverse City Michigan two weeks ago.

Tulip glass fill from a 12 oz. bottle.

a. A happy nearly ckear amber. Finger plus thick head shrank slowly to a nice white surface film with a heavier foam ring which spread evenly as lacing as it was drained.

s: Mild fruit.

t: Nice light citrus/pine hop notes with enough hop bite to let you know it's there.

m: Refreshingly light. Quite a lot of carbonation.

o: A great warm weather drink. Nicely balanced.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours golden with 1 finger head and excellent lacing. Nose is a little on the fruity side for my taste, but the actual taste of the beer brings that out less than the nose does.

Hits the tongue relatively clean, but finishes creamy, spicy, and nicely bitter. Slight citrus lemon feel.

An IPA you can drink all day.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Finally got my hands on some more Bells after they pulled out of Illinois. This IPA pours a cloudy golden orange liquid with a decent amount of carbonation trails. A nice fluffy chunky head leaves thick sticky lace about the glass. Powerful floral and fruity hops nose. Some piney grass elements. Taste is a full on hoppy affair. Seems some what tempered by sweet malt elements. The sweetness also hints at grapefruit and green apples. Mouthfeel is fairly full for such a hop centered brew. Finishes a bit tart. I found this to be a drinkable beer, not something you want to session, but a good dinner or conversation beer.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

On tap at the Sharp Edge in East Liberty. Poured in a pint glass.

A: Interesting ... dark amber, almost orange. Head holds on forever.

S: It's a pale ale, so you get some of the things you expect, like pine and citrus. But there's also something sweet ... and that's a tease for ...

T/M: Here's where Two-Hearted Ale steps away from the norm. The pines and citrus from the hops are heavy, but they mix with a honey-sweetness you don't expect at all. Wow, it's good. And even with the sweet tones, the beer has a nice, slightly bitter finish. Very smooth.

D: Um, I'll have another, please.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a 16 oz can into a wine glass. Indecipherable date code on bottom of can.

A-The beer is orange-tinted honey in color. My average pour produces about one and one-half fingers of off-white head. The retention is good and the beer leaves sticky curtains of lacing on the glass. Nice looking stuff.

S-The aroma is mildly citrusy with orange, some grapefruit, orange zest, and a bit of woody, oaky hop smell. The hops are balanced by a slightly sweet, bready malt that reminds me of wonderbread.

T-The taste, like the smell, is mostly hoppy with a woodsy, orange zest hop flavor competing with a semisweet malt base. I get toast and honey to go with the hops. No one flavor dominates here.

M-The feel is medium in heft with a slightly gritty, hoppy coating feeling. Carbonation is less than average in volume and strength.

O-I have tried this beer on three occasions now and finally got around to doing a proper review. It still has yet to blow me away, but I can see why people like it. It drinks easy, but provides enough flavor to keep things interesting. Although not a session beer (at 7% ABV), I could drink a few of these without feeling overwhelmed.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Overall I found this to be a solid beer, refreshing with decent hops notes and a good aftertaste.

Appearance: Light-honey color with a lingering head that creates rings as I drink from my pint glass.

Smell: Other types of beers have a larger smell profile and spectrum but for an IPA, this beer has a good fruit and airy smell to it. More malty than hoppy.

Taste: I like to think that Bell's named this beer two hearted for the two distinct tastes that I happen to experience when I drink it. First, I get a smooth yet bitter hops taste that brings in a zesty feel while after lingering for a moment, the second taste is the malty overtone that clears up my mouth. It is refreshing and leaves me wanting more.

Feel: It lingers but does not leave me with an overbearing taste once I swallow it. Carbonation adds to the refreshment of the beer.

Highly recommend this beer.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: poored into an imperial pint glass. solid 3 finger head, maintains very well leaving a fluffy white swiss cheese lace. carbonation is very consistent, nice amber color.

S: hop acidity, citrus, lightly sweet.

T: sweet for a non-imperial IPA. citrus to the point of being tart and very well balanced but simple.

M: Light carbonation, thin for an ipa. hops dont dominate the palate but they stick around for the aftertaste.

D: as session-able as an ipa can be.

if this beer was as ubiquitous as SNPA, Id order this when Im at bars that dont have much better. But its not, and if Im stuck in a bar like this, Ill continue ordering my SNPAs. glad I tried this beer, but Im not too upset that I dont know when Ill have my next one.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

This bottle has been in cold storage for about two years.

The pour is nice, but pretty standard for the style. Rich gold color. Has an appearance similar to honey. White cream colored head. Short head, but I guess I'd expect that due to the age of the brew.

The scent is really pretty amazing. The words for it that immediately come to mind are citrus flowers. I've never smelled a real citrus flower, to the best of my knowledge, but the floral and citrus scents are so well intertwined that they seem like one. And it smells delicious to me. To be a little more specific, I get a lemony citrus scent. I'm no good at placing specific floral scents, so I won't even try. There are also hints of apple and grape. Could stand to have a little more complexity and/or added scents, but overall this is pretty phenomenal.

Taste is actually turning out to be a little disappointing. Still tasty, but it definitely lacks the firepower that the younger ones had. Fruity, but sort of indescriminately so. Apple again, I suppose. Not nearly as citric as it smells. A little white grape maybe. There are hints of clove and other spices every now and then. Still pretty good, but doesn't seem to compare favorably to fresher versions.

The mouthfeel has definitely smoothed out between this bottle and the last one I had before it (about a year and a half, I'd guess). There isn't that sharp, bitter bite that was there before. Still a good amount of carbonation buzz on the tongue. Nothing too outstanding here.

Even after two years, this brew is pretty drinkable. Unfortunately, I don't think it's really any better than the younger bottles they. The flavor is definitely subtler this time around, and that can be a good thing, but I'm just not sure it suits this beer. Definitely a brew worth purchasing though.

Freshness Really Matters!!!

I have tried this beer twice before this, and both times I experienced a metallic aftertaste that I did not like at all, even though I liked the rest of the beer experience- appearance, smell, initial taste, etc.

Third time's a charm, I guess. This bottle is not any fresher (from the bottled on date) than the last time I had one- about 3 weeks from bottled on date, but there is definitely a difference in flavor, and a welcome one.

Pours a somewhat hazy orange hue with a 1" foamy white head that is gorgeous. Great looking beer. Lacing sticks to the glass all the way down.

Big nose of citrus, grapefruit, tangerine, and some flowery hops. Faint pine, resin. Wonderful smell.

This is a juicy beer, and it makes you salivate. Definite citrus up front that follows the nose. More citrus and malt in the middle, bitter hop finish, neither flavor outdoing the other. Pretty well balanced, although the hop bitterness does linger on the finish.

I'm really glad I finally got a good bottle of this. It's still not the best IPA I've ever had, but it's a damn good one, and I can see now why people love it.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Big thanks to both d0b and beerlovingrl for multiple bottles of this fine IPA from two different trades.

The beer pours a hazy amber/orange with a thin soapy white head that leaves minimal lacing.

The smell is all grapefruit, orange and zesty lemon peel (even for a bottle that was kind of forgotten in the back of the fridge). There is a slight malty sweetness in the background, but you get mostly hops.

The taste is slightly more fresh cut grass than the citrus and lemon of the smell, but definitely all bitter hops with very little malt to balance it out.

The beer is superdrinkable. The alcohol is barely present, the carbonation is spot on for the style and the hops aren't overpowering but they are the dominant feature. This is a very sessionable IPA that I wish was available in New England all the time.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a golden orange color, with a strong hop smell and undertones of sweet malt. The flavor starts out with a strong hop bite and finishes with a sweet malt balance that doesn't take away from the hop flavor. I liked it but would rather have a west coast IPA.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.