Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,461 | Ratings: 13,888
4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Bright and light golden in color. Slightly cloudy with a thick white foamy head.

S: Slightly sweet and floral with a strong citrus aroma. Can smell hints of lemon and pear.

T/M: Smooth initially then hits back of tongue with a powerful citrus taste. Lingers with fruity taste briefly. Does not have a bitter after taste at all. Phenomenal IPA.

D: Extremely drinkable. Very smooth and easy on the stomach.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted this beer. I thought the label looked sketchy, but the beer inside was unbelievable.

Appearance was a nice light amber cloudiness with an excellent sticky head.

Smell is a rude awakening of floral hops. Immediately gets the taste buds going.

Taste is impeccable. Without a doubt one of if not the best IPA Ive ever had the luxury of consuming. Perfect carbonation with a nice heavy bite of floral hops.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth as it lingers. Crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability is exceptional. If you are an IPA fan and have not tried this, you are wrong. Exceptional IPA with the perfect combination of hops, carbonation and scent. Unbelievable great job Bells!!!

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

huge hop taste, big malt back, floral aroma, two fingers of head,rings and rings of lace beautiful color, tastes of floral hops, and a nutty, earthy malt back. great beer, slighly out of balance but a good ipa really shuld be. best ipa i have had to date.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

A big “thank you” to BlackAngus for sending me this one in a trade.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold with a foamy, off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Heavy aroma of hops & citrus (orange, grapefruit & tangerine mostly), very pleasant.

T: Excellently balanced combination of hops bitterness and sweet citrus malt flavors. The two flavors don’t battle each other as they do in some beers; rather they blend together even into the after taste.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation and a very clean finish.

D: This beer is very tasty, goes down very easily, doesn’t fill you much and is one of those beers where each sip makes you crave the next more and more.

To put it simply, this is one of the best beers I’ve ever had.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

I was given this beer initially in a blind taste test of several commercial IPA's. This was head and shoulders above the rest. The beer pours fairly cloudy, but this hardly ever bothers me unless I'm pouring a pils or a Köslch or something similar.

The aroma was heaven. Expertly done, Centennial hops wafted up and had wonderful hints of citrus and only a slightly resiny American hop character. The aroma was not brash or crude, but artful and almost perfumey. Amongst the wonderful citrus were hints of malt that balanced very well.

The taste was very clean bitterness up front with a burst of that same citrusey hop character in the nose. Definitely balanced toward hops (and what self respecting American IPA isn't?), there was still enough subtle malt flavor to balance. Infinitely drinkable, I polished off my glass and looked up like Oliver Twist and whimpered, "please sir, can I have some more?". The hop flavor was amazing, not a "bash-you-over-the-head" type flavor, but a more like a 1960's Raquell Welch whispering in your ear "come here big boy and I'll show what hop character is all about...". Yes, it was that good.

I cannot say enough good things about this beer. It's spectacular out of the bottle and even better on tap. If you happen to buy it in the bottle, don't sit on it, drink it promptly, it won't age well - really hoppy beers rarely do. Do not pass up an opportunity to try this beer.

Original sample date 5/27/03

Ah, a Memorial Day beer tasting which will include only selections made in the U.S. of A. As it should be...

Orange, cloudy appearance, about one finger of head. The aroma is one of the best I've ever smelled. Crashing waves of floral and pine, I am thinking this is going to be one bitter-assed beer based on what I'm sniffing.

Instead, what I got was one of the most incredibly well-balanced malt/carbonation/hop combos I've ever tasted. Not near as bitter as I thought it would, making it extremely drinkable, even at 7% abv.
The orangey, lemony, piney hop makes it difficult for me to remember and define the malt presence very well. When the bitter time finally arrives, it does so in complete step with the rest of the beer, not over the top at all, just solid and lingering. An awesome IPA. A friend of my brother tried it after qualifying that he doesn't like beers besides Bud. We turned him around in about 90 minutes after warming him up with some Holy Moses, Vertical 03 and then this one. He took a drink of his Bud and told me he was ruined for Budweiser beer now. A verklempt moment in the house, I was so proud of him. That's what it's all about... :-) We relegated the Bud for cleansing the palate between samplings...

***
This one is an experiment - what happens to Two-hearted after two years in lock-up???

Appearance - pours with a glowing tangerine color. Quite a frothy head, about 2 fingers, enough to make me halt the pour momentarily. I didn't pour much sediment in. The head is this crusty, almost shellac-ed looking thing and leaves large bubbles of lace in rings on the glass. 5.0

Aroma - mostly all florals, even a little soapy. It's lost some of its complexity but still smells good. 4.0

Taste - a calmer, tamer beer. A fairly chewy malt start, diminished pine and orange flavors working at the palate almost immediately. Not bad but it has a kind of soda water flavor to it, that salty kind of taste, as if to say, 'there used to be flavor in this spot but time has taken some of it away'. Ends with a flat grapefruit bitterness, present but not real biting. Past its prime but it'll drink. 3.5

Mouthfeel - slightly heavy, carbonation has held well. 4.0

Drinkability - I'd call this experiment a success. I let this warm up to maybe 55 degrees before tasting, I wonder if this is one to have a little colder and maybe bottle up some of that soda water taste. It doesn't age all that well but it keeps great. 4.0

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Simply put one of the best beers of any type I've ever had. Had a nice creamy head sitting on top of a brilliant cloudy beer. The taste and smell both yelled out hops! One of those beers a hophead would be more than happy to get ahold of, yet also has enough balance to even things out abit for something who is not a huge fan of hops. Bell's has done is again!

@ Bell's Eccentric Cafe

This beer was a cloudy orange color with some carbonation present. It formed a sudsy white head that left some nice lace(but could have been better if they had poured it right). The aroma was huge hops with malt and the usual citrus present in many Bell's beer. The flavor was of hops, malt and citrus and the finish was slightly bitter. On tap at the bar(or maybe it's this year's version)seemed a bit more citrusy than from the bottle.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

This may be my favorite IPA of all-time....Incredible nose...I get the huge citrus aroma with pineaples the predominant fruit...looks a little cloudy but a big rocky white head tops this bad boy....the nose invites you in, and then the taste takes over...no disappointment here....great hops flavor...all citrus...grapefruit the big one...also some pear core on the finish....malt doesn't assert itself but this is very balanced in the mouth...highly drinkable, particulary if you like hopped up beers....Next to some of their stouts this is without question their best beer.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

This is an excellent IPA from the Bell's brewery. It pours a solid amber color, a little on the light side for an IPA, with a nice fluffy off-white head which leaves some fantastic lacing on the glass. Floral aromas dominate the nose, with some hints of citrus and a sweet-bready malt taking a backseat.

The Centennial hops really come through beautifully in the flavor. It's like a field of flowers in your mouth, but it has enough malt there to balance it out and the hops never become overwhelming. The medium body and ample carbonation give it an excellent mouthfeel, and having a couple of these can be a real treat.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from 12 oz. brown bottle to a pint glass. Received from weizenbob in trade - thank you!! I wish Bells would distribute to Colorado this stuff is so good.

A: Rather hazy golden orange color with a slight cloudiness. Nice white head with good retention.

S: Great citrus hop aroma!

T: Citrus hops in your face with bittering hops at first. Very smooth draw unlike most IPAs. finishes crisp and clean.

M: Very even with strong carbonation.

D: Absolutely!

This has become one of my favorite beers not just for the style but overall. Such a terrific brew.

Reviewed on: 01-04-2011 02:09:22

Well,
After travelling for 10 years and trying hundreds and hundreds of different beers, I have settled on this as my favorite. I have actually tried many of the top on here, but for me they don't hold a candle to Bell's Two Hearted.

I think all of the pros have covered what the overall flavor of the beer, but this beer has the best finish of any beer, period. I will also remark on a few things I have noticed after consuming this product for years.

1) There is alot of inconsistency with the brew. When its on, it can't be beat, but there are times when it is off and has some strange characteristics. I know how hard the brewing process is, but I think this inconsistency does affect the product...Could be the hops as well.

2) This is an awesome six pack for a gift. I don't know how many people that have come back to me and said they now drink it regularly...because it is addicting.

3) Two hearted goes really well with cheese and fish...At least it does for me, I am no specialist in food, but I will say that I like it alot with these.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Packaged on 4/9/07. I have a firkin pour in front of me, let's begin. Obviously, no head, rather a couple of layers of bubbles form on top of my glass. We tapped this thing at 4PM, it is now 3AM. Smells like dank, buttery hops. The usual Two-Hearted profile, more fruity esters, but slightly muted otherwise. No lacing, and slightly cloudy.

The first time I tasted this beer from a firkin, I preferred bottle or tap. Now, I am in love with the different flavors that the cask brings to the table. Buttery smooth hops, slight grassiness. I think what I love about this beer from a firkin is the smooth yeastiness in addition to the smooth hops. Of course, mouthfeel is very lightly carbonated, but slick and very smooth. Drinkability, oh jhee, let me think, ..it's perfect!

I must add that when drinking this beer from the firkin, I prefer it with a month at least of cask age before drinking. I have drank this less than a two weeks after it was casked, and about a month after it was casked. This has definitely been my most favorable experience with Two-Hearted from the firkin.

4.96/5  rDev +16.4%

A-Murky orange. Hazy. Beautiful color gradation, (a bit darker at top, lighter on bottom). Held to light the body is yolky and bright. Creamy white head. Soapy. Average size. Average lacing which is spotty. When head is gone a veneer of smoky, misty fog permeates over the body. Remains carbonated and bubbly to finish.

S-Orange. Lemon. Lime. Mandarin orange. Grass. Mellow pine. Sweet caramel malt. Peach. Cream. Wet mildew, like a pond. Seaweed maybe. Floral. Woodsy. Perfume. Versatile smelling beer.

T-Citrus floods in. You get the classic orange, lemon and lime. Sweet tangerines even. Tropical fruits come forward: papaya & pineapple. Bitter citrus, not grapefruit, but more like tasting an orange rind/skin. A perfect malt backbone arches out in the middle. A puff cloud of grain rises. The finish is unique. The citrus hops are cooling like a mint. The hops also impart the customary bitter pine finish. A pure pine taste, like rubbing actual pine on the tongue. The smoothest and yet bold IPA you can ask for. The malt backbone is the highlight of the taste. Some kind of plant is in there. Like, aloe, or cactus. Something.

M-Refreshing moderate-medium body. More on the fluid side than chewy. Medium carbonation. Will thicken with time to a more creamier velvet state. Slightly sour citrus aftertaste. Sweet as well. Bitter resins and pine contrast beautifully with the sweet & sours. A cool minty finish is perceptible too.

O-America's IPA. All the ingredients are harmonious and deliver realistic fresh flavors. I feel like I'm eating into a juicy orange soaked in malt all drizzled in pine oil. Two Hearted Ale is not only the benchmark for IPA, but the bar that is not surpassed. Less than a handful of IPA's MATCH it, (Sculpin is one). The malt backbone makes my own straighten up and take notice of it's greatness. I'm honored at the availability of this sessionable IPA. Weird, but I cheers to a beer. Thanks for being, you.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Sampled in a 12oz bottle with a very unique label with an almost homemade look that left me truly wondering what the bottle contained and what was in store for me with this tasting.

This fine Kalamazoo product poured a slightly hazy amber color with a ¼ - ½ inch thick ivory head that faded fairly quickly. Yet while most of the head faded quickly, the beer maintained a 1/8 inch head nearly through out my sampling. This beer also produced beautiful lacing during the entire drinking experience.

The nose on the Two-Hearted Ale was both prominent and pleasant. A very floral and fruity nose revealed scents of wild flowers, peaches, grapefruit, and malt. Beautiful, yet delicate scents and a promise great of taste flowed from the glass.

The taste did not disappoint me. With a sweet start of fruit and fine malt that lead into bevy of hop flavor. This beer possessed a medium body and a clean, crisp smoothness that went down incredibly easy and very fast. The flavors were smooth and even through out and transitioned without any jump, wholes, or gaps between them.

I am very impressed by this Kalamazoo product; it certainly lived up hype that I had read about all of the Kalamazoo beers. Thank you taverjeff for sending me the so I have at least two more. Yet I know two will not be enough.

Note: Upon searching for the Two-Hearted Ale to review I can to the astonishing revelation that it is an IPA! What? But I hate IPA?s. In fact I?ve only had one before that I even really liked. Are my taste buds changing, or is this beer just that damn good?

I think it is just that damn good, and I also think I?ll have another. Cheers!

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

After having at least 50 of these over the course of a few years (as it is one I can't stay away from for long) I figure it is time to sit down and give it a review. This pours a light body that is slightly orange, slightly gold with a nice head that has a good deal of substance and fantastic lacing. The smell is of hops, mainly citrusy but also with floral and a bit of pine. Fantastic. This is repeated in the taste. Light bodied enough to be very drinkable, and the drinkability is only enhanced exponentially by the delicious taste. Good enough to serve as a thirst quencher. I can't think of a scenario that this beer wouldn't compliment whether it be a sunny day outside or a lazy day on the couch watching ball games. IMO, it doesn't get much better than this. This beer is the essence of what quality, crafted brewing is all about. Exceptional, all the way around.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

I think I've had this beer about a thousand times. One of my 3-4 goto beers until the price increase and it still find itself in my fridge more often than it probably should with Columbus IPA around. Fresh on tap. Pours a golden orange body with a beautiful cream colored head. Smell is evertything you could hope for in an IPA. Just punches you in the face with piney/citursy hops. Taste is much the same, a little bit of fruit, a little bit of citrus and a lot of pine, leaving a wonderful bitterness on the palate.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

May be a little biased, went to school in Kalamazoo, MI for 4 years, drinking this on draft was a regular every weekend thing for me; As were six packs as fresh as you could possibly get them. Regardless, I am reviewing this currently living in Tennessee, drove to Kentucky to purchase this, 3 months old. Oh yea, out of a bottle too. But guess what, it tastes the same regardless of what you dirnk this out of. Draft, bottle, glass, this is a world class beer. I'm sure it wold taste amazing out of a can as well.

Not usually a fan of IPAs, I have been savoring this beer since before I even knew what an IPA was. My first experience was in probably 9th grade, when you don't really have a taste for what a "beer" should taste like. My friend took one from his dad's sixpack in the garage, cold as hell, and I remember saying the exact words "holy shit".

It looks like an IPA should, somewhat cloudy with an orange-ish appearance. Not much of a head, although I usually get much more when I have it on draft.

Smells very piney, citrusy, sort of a hint of a west coast IPA with that sort of clove.citrus aspect of a hefeweizen, a pretty uniqie smell for an IPA.

Tastes like no other beer out there. By far the most balanced IPA i've had. I've given this to my parents, who don't drink craft beer, and don't like those "heavy ipa's".... They said "wow, i'm gonna have to start buying this". And ever since then, i've often had to refrain from draining the Two-Hearted stash in my parents fridge whenever I'm home to Michigan to visit. So smooth, and easy drinking, for a 7% abv it tastes like 5.5-6, it just goes down smooth. The centennial hops in this beer really show through. I prefer this to Founders Centennial IPA, in contrast to a lot of my friends, as I find it a tad too malty.

Overall: This one is just perfect, everything is so well constructed that words can't really describe the craftmanship of this beer. Larry Bell did an amazing job with this one and that's why it's Bell's flagship beer. If I were to reccomend one beer from my home state to the rest of the world, this would be it (followed closely by Bells Hopslam).

Being an avid fisherman, I usually pair this with Salmon or Steelhead, and it blows me away how well they work together. I'm not sure if the fish on the bottle, or the reference to the U.P river had a subconscious bias on me, but this is my go to beer for any for of meat or fish dinner (Dogfishhead 90 min IPA also pairs very well with Salmon). Cheeses that go well with this are basically any strong cheese, Limburger if you're man enough, and i've found that any dutch Gouda cheese pairs rather well.

A cool little story: A few years ago a few buddies of mine were backpacking Isle Royale (Island in Lake Superior, Northern Michigan) and we met 2 guys from Germany who came to canoe the island. The only store on the island, which included a mini restaraunt, just happened to stock only bells beer, and a huge selection of it. We met them in a campground near the lodge and they had just bought a case of Oberon and 2 six packs of Two-Hearted. Their english wasn't very good, but they basically said that American beer is shit compared to Germany (and grudgingly Belgium), except that Two-Hearted and Oberon (probably due to Germans fondness for wheat beer) are both some of there favorite beers, ever. I thought that was pretty cool, Germans having mad respect for some local MIchigan Craft Brew.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

I have to say this is my favorite IPA so far. Can't find it NJ, so I have a friend buy it for me in Va.

Great hop aroma and taste. Citrus with a bit of bitterness- a great accompaniment to Indian food. Also great with an aged Stilton cheese. Not overpowering, but you know you are drinking an IPA, no doubt.

Awesome thick off-white head, at least three fingers.

I have tried it with different glass styles, but the pint glass seems to be the best because it allows the floral and citrus notes to really hit your nose before you take a sip without being overpowering.

Highly recommended!

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours with a milky white creamy head. Initial flavor has powerful hops that remains on palate and does not fade away as with most other IPA beers. Has strong citrus flavor and is incredibly smooth in spite of its rather high alcohol content. The bite of the hops is very potent and even after making great efforts to sample other IPAs, this one stands alone and the novelty of the wonderful blend of powerful citrus taste and hops has not worn off after over a year of sampling other hops-laden brews. By a wide margin, my favorite IPA.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Reading the other reviews of this beer, my expectations were sky high. This beer met my lofty expectations as an outstanding IPA.

Color is a gorgeous golden orange, with a humongous white head that lasts through the entire glass. There's still a layer of foam with my last sip. A real beauty.

Scent is a fruit cocktail - ripe pear, peach and some apple. The hops impart a grapefruit taste with a piney sharpness that is notciable but not overwhelming. A strong malt backbone is present to give a nice balance. A biscuity taste is subtly present throughout, but comes through most in the finish and aftertaste. Mouthfeel is full and rich. Wonderfully balanced, complex, and very enjoyable. Sadly, I only had one on hand. Can't wait to have another one.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

This beer pours a dark gold with a foamy white head that holds and laces beautifully. The smells is a wonderful aroma of hops. This is truly a fantastic smell of sweet citrusy hops. The taste is again all hops. The Centennial flavor is amazing! There is medium-full bodied with some nice carbonation and a bit of dryness. Overall just amazing on drinkability if I could get this locally, I would drink it all the time.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours with a voluminous cream colored head atop a hazy orange beer with amber highlights. The head slowly recedes while it leaves a thick, sticky lace on the glass. The aroma is very sweet bubble gum with a strong lemon-pine hop presence. The sweetness is evident on the pour, and as you carry the glass to your seat. I wanted to take a drink immediately! Who needs notes anyway, right? The first drink is truly heavenly, with a great malt sweetness sparked by a terrific hop bite. What a dichotomy of tastes that somehow blend together perfectly! Very strong citrus notes are prevalent in subsequent quaffs, but the malt is never forgotten. The finish is exceptionally smooth and clean for such a flavorful beer. All that is left is a hint of fruitiness and a hint of bitterness. The mouthfeel is very rich and supple, while not becoming too heavy as the beer is finished. Drinakbility is terrific, but I only had one! So I made it last as long as possible. I'm not sure if the "two hearted" refers to the strong prescence of both the malt and the hops. All I know is that the name had no meaning to me until know. My heart was swept away by this beer. By both the malt and the hops. Thank you, oh thank you cretemixer for this absolutely fantastic beer. My advice to all BA's: Sacrifice anything necessary to obtain this beer. But be prepared to lose your heart: she'll take it and run with it, twice!

4.94/5  rDev +16%

12 oz bottle poured into a chalice.

Golden amber with some cloudiness from the bottom of the bottle. Sticky lacing.

Intensely aromatic and deliciously complex: pink grapefruit, tangerine, pine, roses...fruity and floral and everything lovable about fresh aromatic hops. The flavor delivers on the high expectations raised by the intoxicating aroma...fruity sweetness up front and then deliciously tangy and complex floral (roses, violets) and then pine in the finish, bitterness evenly balanced with malt. A highly aromatic expression of the IPA form and I think it may be my favorite.

As I drink this sixpack over a week or two I fall in love with this beer more and more. Utterly blissful beer experience. This beer just sings on the palate--smooth creaminess, fantastic aromatics and bitterness, balanced touch of sweetness in the malt--perfect harmony, you can't stop sipping, before you know it the glass is empty...and you are SAD--genuinely dejected that the pleasure pouring from this bottle will live on only in your vivid, tantalizing memories. I will need to make regular pilgrimages to get this stuff...

4.94/5  rDev +16%

A: Pours a hazy amber/orange color, small white head, small amounts of lacing

S: Aroma is of floral hops and a bit citrusy, perhaps a hint of alcohol

T: Exceptional. The first taste is of citrus fruits (hint of grapefruit and orange), mild yet recognizable, perfectly balanced with the hops that follow. The beer is balanced by the hoppy aftertaste, and is not overpowering.

M: Smooth, med-low carbonation

D: Easily one of the most drinkable IPAs I've had. Would definitely be able to have more than one in a sitting.

This IPA jumped high up my list and is a definite buy for anyone, not just IPA fans. I plan on getting a case soon.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.