Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,452 | Ratings: 13,846
2.6/5  rDev -39%

Out of 12oz bottle. This two hearted beer one broke my heart. I had heard much about this beer and expectations were perhaps too high. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Just too much of thick and hearty beer for my palate. I do enjoy other Bells Beers (Best Brown, Hopslam, etc.)which work really well for my tastebuds. Obviously this beer is a crowd pleaser, just not my type of brew.

2.67/5  rDev -37.3%

A: Translucent, dark gold. White foam has large bubbles. Leaves a faint trail of lacing.

S: Sweet, some wheat, touch of honey.

T: Hops hit right away. Very floral. Herbs. Slight sweetness. But not really complex. Almost like an over-hoppy macro. Not really impressed.

M: Fairly well-balanced carbonation.

D: Not really flavorful enough to want more than one. Just overwhelming hops, but otherwise flat.

2.7/5  rDev -36.6%

This is a re-review. And, after opening and pouring I can already tell I am going to have to change it, somewhat.

Pours a pale, orange, cloudy color, nice 1/2 inch head with lacing all around.

Scent is of, sweet malt, knock me over citrusy hops and yeast.

Taste follows the nose with a very sweet, sugary malt flavor, supercharged citrus hops, and finishes dry. The last time I had this beer, the taste reminded me of Oberon. This bottle is not nearly as bad as Oberon. It's an ok flavor, but still unbalanced, and I would put Arcadia's and New Holland's IPAs (two more locals) above this one. If anything this is, at best, a below average, unbalanced, over-hopped, american ale.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, creamy, smooth but the carbination seems a bit on the low side for the style.

Drinkability is still on the negative side of the scale. I wouldn't go out of my way to seek this beer out. Hell, I wouldn't even buy it again if it were right in front of me, but if somebody handed me one at a party I wouldn't turn it down. That's not saying much, cause I wouldn't turn down a High Life either. The only way I would give this beer another chance is on tap or cask.

I still wouldn't put this beer on the Best of BA. There are at least a dozen others that should be rated above this average, boring pale ale. I like IPA's, NO, I really like IPAs and have sampled enough to know that TH would rank at the very bottom of that list. It's not terrible but it's not good either. Let me put it this way, it's not even close to a Finest Kind IPA..

2.7/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance is orange-ish haze. Head wells up to a solid 3 finger pillow on a regular pour. Smell is incredibly citrusy. Taste is even more citrusy, like a mixture of lemon and orange rinds. Lots of complicated floral notes but most notably are the hops, just exploding all over the place. Mouthfeel is not bad, average thickness with actually quite a pleasant aftertaste. Drinkability is just average I would say due to the complicated flavor and high Abv%.

2.71/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Bell’s Two Hearted Ale

-IBU’s:
-Malts:
-Hops:
-Color:

Bell’s Two Hearted Ale pours a shockingly pale yellow color, looking more like SNPA than most American IPA’s (when decanted off the yeast—a full pour left a vesry cloudy body). The nose has a big, vegetal hop aroma, smelling strongly of coriander, though I’d be beyond beside myself to learn that any adjuncts or spices were used in this beer. The very slight haziness lends credibility to an over-crystal malted style. The just-less-than-white head is pretty fluffy after the yeast has been added from the bottle, but is mediocre otherwise.

The flavor is odd, to say the least. Sweet, pineapples mix with cooked vegetables to leave a very unusual sensation in the mouth. Then there’s that damned coriander flavor! Is this an Imperian Wit or an IPA??? OK, we’re gonna stop right here and assume the worst—I got a funky bottle. I stopped and read about 30-40 reviews of this stuff and everyone loved it. There were several telling mentions of an “odd sweetness” or a “pleasant funkiness from the Bell’s yeast” that’s just killing me here! The ambient flavors created by the fermentation with the “famous” Bell’s yeast is wreaking havoc on my buds. In my doubt, I had my wife taste it and she thought it tasted and smelled like ash (not ass, ash). This stuff is as close to horrid as a beer can get without being dumped. Let’s hops for a bad bottle and a shot at redemption in the future. I’m rating what I taste based on the fact that with something like 60+ IBU’s and 7$ ABV, this stuff oughtta be impervious to bugs.

Updated early April 2003: I retasted and although this second bottle was MUCH better than the first, it still had subtle hints of that vegetal, coriander flavor. I'm upping my score, but not by much. I'd love to taste this stuff fermented without the Bell's yeast...

2.75/5  rDev -35.4%

Bottle pour into an imperial pint glass, date stamp of 2/11/13.

Very nice amber orange color with a decent creamy-looking head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Nose is very, very promising. Floral/fruity with a bit of pine. Good initial mouth-feel, carbonation is just right. But then...

I am really puzzled by this tasting. With all the stellar reviews and past experience with Oberon, I was very much looking forward to this. Frankly, it makes me think of drinking Christmas tree water. Very bitey hops and bitterness with no other noticeable flavors.

I tried a second and that was all I can do. I will look to give away the rest of the six and then make a doctors appointment to make sure I don't have a terminal illness or something that is affecting my taste buds.

2.8/5  rDev -34.3%

A: Pours amber with golden highlights with half a finger head that dissipates quickly. Sudsy, scattered lacing slides down the side of the glass. Low carbonation.

N: Citrus, pine and light caramel notes.

T: Lemon citrus and pine upfront followed by hints of navel orange and some very light grains in the background. Finishes with spicy pine, citrus rind and a light floral bouquet.

M: Medium bodied, smooth, somewhat sticky and dry.

O: Nice bitterness and American hop profile but lacks dimension from such a light malt backbone. This is essentially hop-water but fans of West Coast IPAs will love this beer.

2.8/5  rDev -34.3%

Nothing special to talk about here. Just your run of the mill IPA. For the price get a DFH 90 min. Light copper color, light hoppy smell, little flavor, thin consistency, just alright drinkability.

The taste is too boozy for how little flavor is in this beer.

2.8/5  rDev -34.3%

I poured this hppy brew into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a nice golden color with a cloudy look. The beer smelled hoppy and was. It is great for what it is I'm sure and has a high rating, but I did not like it. Way to bitter for me and alcohol was right tight also. Not going to purchase this one again

2.82/5  rDev -33.8%

Served in a pint glass.

A-Much prettier than expected. A sweet orangey/pale yellow blend with a frothy head that certainly looks very intriguing.

S-Virtually non existent. Maybe some malt maybe some yeast but overall there was hardly anything there.

M- No real different than your average ale, a waxy texture is apparent that sticks to the mouth, but is neither welcoming nor dismissible.

T-Again not nearly worth the hype. Very weak body with hardly any lasting or enjoyable flavors.

O- I have had two hearted a couple of times before and remembered it as being far better than this batch, but the inconsistency of the brew will steer me clear of purchasing this again in the near future

2.87/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Cloudy rust color. Generates a 1 finger persistent head.

S: Slight floral and hop smells.

T: Hops and not much else. Nothing very powerful pushing through

M: Very easy going down - almost too easy. Like water.

O: My first sip made me think it was fairly weak for an IPA. That combined with the lack of a real presence in mouth feel left me slightly disappointed. I expected more depth and complexity for such a highly regarded IPA. It just didn't deliver for me.

* - As always - when I am this far "off" the norm I will try this again in the future and make sure I am comfortable with my review.

2.88/5  rDev -32.4%

It's my birthday! I just review Expedition Stout and was really disappointed, but I'm hoping this one is as good as it's meant to be. Here you go, Bell's, this is your second chance. Bottled 08/29/12. 7.0% ABV confirmed. Expectations are through the roof; I've hearing about this one for awhile. 355ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a New Belgium goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger frothy creamy beige head of good thickness and retention. Colour is a murky copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Looks like any standard IPA ought to.

Sm: Floral, pine, and citrus (lemon) notes - in that order. Light soap. Even a bit of bubblegum. There's some pleasant clean malts lurking beneath the hops. The soap concerns me (I've brewed my fair share of too-long-in-primary IPAs), but I'm hoping it's good. An average strength aroma.

T: Soap, clean malts, floral hops, more soap, some light grapefruit, and lemon on the finish. Imbalanced; the salty soap dominates. What's the hype about? Very underwhelming. It's clean, though, and it does hide its ABV well. No alcohol comes through. Definite salt on the climax; almost gose-esque.

Mf: Smooth, wet, light, and not quite refreshing. Suits the flavours alright.

Dr: Man, Bell's is pissing me off a bit. I don't get the hype about this brewery at all, and I've tried two of their higher rated brews. This one is so damn soapy it's hard to enjoy. Get rid of the soap and then we'll talk, Bell's. What a disappointment. Drinkable, but pedestrian at best.

I initially gave it a C-, but it does get better as it warms.

C

2.89/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Golden color with an exquisite aroma! This is what an IPA should smell like, strong hops and floral smell. However I was greatly disappointed in the taste, it lacked bitterness. It is very smooth, but it only smells like an IPA and doesn't not taste like one. I'll never drink this again. From the smell you think your having a great bitter IPA when it's actually extremely smooth.

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

This was a surprise in a nice trade I did with joel6615. Thanks Joel!

From bottle to pint glass

A: Pours an opaque yellow-orange that forms tendrils of suspended yeast and carbonation. A frothy 2-inch head forms that leaves layers of lacing. This really has a sea-foam consistency.

S: Light citrus and pine with plenty of honey malts in the back. The citrus profile suggests notes of apple, along with the standard grapefruit-y scent.

T: Light, fruity, floral tones meet you at the front of the sip, combined with bitter grapefruit. Pine is almost non-existent. There's plenty of malt support, and the beer quickly takes on a bready quality, but the malts have a sugary sweetness that doesn't compliment the bitter tones. The lack of hop bite leaves the brew with a relatively stale quality. Although not cloying, the finish is strangely sweet for an IPA.

M: Rich, hearty and viscous, espeicially for a single IPA. Carbonation is spot on and helps wash away some of the residual sweetness.

Drinkability and notes: If I had this beer by itself, I probably wouldn't complain, but there are far better IPA's out there. It wasn't hard to drink , and, by itself, is somewhat refreshing, but the hop/malt balance is off. Given the BA popularity and rave reviews I was expecting more.

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

Poured very nicely with a perfect amount of head that stayed for a nice visit and laced well in the glass. Smell was of hops and citrus fruit and wasn't as aromatic as I was expecting. Taste was somewhat citrusy, hoppy, with a brief staccato in flavor, and finished with good bitterness and very light piney flavor. Mouthfeel was good and it was well carbonated. One was enough though and I won't pick this brew up again for a while.

2.93/5  rDev -31.2%

An off-white head sits atop a hazy yellow-orange brew. Smells of malts, subtle grapefruit and herb. Tastes grainy at the forefront, followed by some earthy hops, a dollop of sugar and a mild fruitiness. Smooth and light to medium bodied. Has a slightly creamy core, but remains dry overall. Not exactly what I was expecting form this one, but it drinks fairly well, so I can't complain too much.

2.98/5  rDev -30%

Golden hued with a decent head. The smell is decent with lots of citrus varieties, the hops definitely make themselves known. Carbonation is right on par.

The only problem is it tastes like I'm drinking a floral arrangement. I've heard lots of people use 'grapefruit' to define hop flavors but I've never tasted more than just hints of that until I had this beer, and my god is it pungent. There are hops all over the place, but it's just too flowery for my palate.

2.99/5  rDev -29.8%

A - hazy golden, quick to disappear head

S - Tropical fruits, pineapple juice, maybe a hint of flowers/pine, a little too much fruit-juicy sweetness for my liking

T - Astringently stinging citrus fruity bitterness, not quite balanced out by the malt character. A little less balanced than I would have thought from such a popular IPA.

M - medium to full body, syrupiness, stinging astringency, not great. A little alcohol boozy warmth noticed at the end of the finish.

Overall - A very tropical IPA. I'd like to have this one tap and fresh and see if it makes the cut. I've had it many times before but this is my first review. Definitely not a bad ipa and one I'm sure I'll have again, just not as astounding as its hype!

Cheers!

look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Appearance: Kind of a tint of hazy orange/yellow.

Aroma: The usual floral/hop mix.

Taste: Easy to drink with a mixture of hops and a bit of malty-creaminess.

Overall: I enjoyed this, but I have been spoiled lately drinking a ton of heady topper and Lawson's. As a single IPA, this is decent. But to me, it lacks that fruit bomb character that I enjoy. I guess I just enjoy DIPA's more. A decent IPA, but there are better American IPA's out there like Lagunita's Sculpin, Dogfish Head 90 minute, etc. Cheers!

Pours a two finger white head that fades to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Cloudy amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Hoppy nose. Starts balanced, sweetness in the background but hops dominate as this IPA is true to style. $1.89 for a 12oz bottle from Chalet Party Goshen, In.

I do not know if it is my taste in beers or something else, but just do not see what all the hype is about. It is not a bad beer, just nothing that stands out. The more I drink it the less I like it actually. Tastes like a slightly less pure alcohol hop slam.

Unfortunately this brew isn’t for me. Aroma was above par with floral/herbal notes. Yet there was something off setting with the flavor. Disappointing.

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%

A- Nice brown color, one finger head that doesn't last long. Small bubbles coming from the bottom of my tumbler.

S- Strong IPA smell but some malt and some other flavors in this smell i can put my finger on.

T- malty PA with a hint of orange, lots of pack from the booze that makes this a more flavorful sipping beer. Citrus and floral hops gives it a sort of balance.

M- Big taste for me, that leaves a sharp after taste. The carbonation is nice and the citrus balences the flavor.

D- Not a top on my list, but a good choice for somebody trying to get a good american IPA.

3.02/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Interesting beer.
This smells of IPA and initially it tastes of IPA with strong pink grapefruit and copper malt backbone... but then there's a little bite of fake-fruity-artificialsweetness... reminds me of Leiny's sunset wheat... almost like somebody dropped a shot of that in here... WHICH IS NOT a good thing... it really hits in the aftertaste and really turns me in the wrong direction on this beer...
I give it props for the taste up front... and for the fact that it completely hides it's alcohol content... in that aspect I'm not sure if I've ever had a 7%'er that didn't have some alcohol bite... but that off-put-taste of fake sweetener is just turning me off of this one and it will be my last.
traded a 6 pack of Dortmunder Gold for two bottles(one of these) and a grolwer of Highlands organic... great quantity trade but terrible 'taste' trade...
I'll leave the two-hearted on the shelf and go with the Columbus Pale Ale or Liberty Ale the next time...

3.02/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I have tried about 5 times to like this beer that everyone likes, but just can't do it. Not for me I guess... Looks good, smells good, but to me tastes like nothing.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.