Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,504 | Ratings: 14,081
4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

This afternoon, my two sons and I dropped into Tyler's Taprooom in Durham, NC to have a pint before a Bulls baseball game (it doesn't get much better than this). My sons ordered their pints (root beers), and I ordered a Rogue Imperial IPA. The bartender pulled the tap, but it just spat some foam. She suggested that I try a Bell's Two Hearted Ale instead. I'd never had one, so I agreed. To be honest, I was expecting to be a little disappointed (it's hard to compete against a Rogue I2PA). Man, was I wrong!

Appearance: Poured a nice polished copper color, with a one finger, off-white colored head. The head diminished quickly, but didn't disappear altogether. It left some nice lacing at the top of the pint glass. Slight carbonation.

Smell: This was one of the most fragrant beers that I've ever experienced. It smelled like walking through a field of wild flowers, with citrus fruits and orange peel thrown in. Absolutely wonderful - this is how an IPA should smell.

Taste: No disappointment here either! Fresh grapefruit up front followed by an intense hoppy bitterness. The hoppy finish just went on and on. The only reason I didn't give it a five was because it lacked just a little malty sweetness to balance the bitterness. Awesome!

Mouthfeel: The slight carbonation made it very smooth.

Drinkability: Yes. May I have another please? Unfortunately, I only had time to have one, but I'll be back. Now I just have to find this in bottles. Fantastic stuff, excellent IPA.

Serving temp: 50F Serving glass: Pint Glass

Aroma: Big hops, obviously. Pine, grapefruit, orange, Sweet candy like smell there, too. Somewhat unique to this particular IPA is an earthy, "leaf like" smell that I can't quite put my finger on. Really intruiging..

Appearance: Cloudy light tangerine colored beer with an ample head, somewhat rocky in texture. Very good lacing with this one. You know, I can't stop smelling this one..

Taste: Excellent. Very well presented hoppy citrus with that same earthy smell present in the taste. A real mellow sweetness chops some of the inital hop blast and balances quite well. Leaves just a bit of spiciness on the palate along with a cleansing bitternes. Hey, I just burped up a flower. Cool.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with crisp carbonation intensifies the hops. Somewhat creamy feel to it blends really well with that spiciness I mentioned. Interesting..

Drinkability: A superb IPA in my opinion. The hops are obviously there, but it has some unique and quite pleasing aspects to it as well. Nice job, Bell's.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Amber colored beer with thin white head. Has a nice fruity aroma I can smell a mile away with a good oily hop coming out closer to the beer. Pretty amazing taste. A good amount of hops up front followed by the sweet esters...and as the bitter hop fades the sweet/smooth malt flavor is brought out. Drinks pretty well...a good beer to enjoy most of the night.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Amazing. Simply amazing. Had this one many times, yet never rated or reviewed.
For the sake of this one, had on tap at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI. Sipped while walking around slices of Americana. Even the plastic cup couldn't detect from this beauty. The color is golden orange with a thick, solid head that stays put. Thick, juicy mouthfeel, deep grapefruit and floral aroma. Taste is malty grapefruit with pine bite on the end. Hands down one of the best out there.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Hazy blonde color with a white, short-lived head.

I love the nose of this beer- Pine, butter, herbs, perhaps a faint hint of maple wood. The palate is bracingly bitter, with enough dryness to make this a food-friendly, session-friendly and non-cloying beer. The bitterness is faintly reminiscent of Campari, and the body is present but lean.

This is a beer that brings back my will to live when I get home from a bad day at work.

Bottle from batch 7895

Appearance - Pours a hazy copper color with a nice white head that disspates a bit with time.

Aroma - A big grapefruit citrus aroma. I do pick up some pineapple and pine as well. Detected a bit of a malt backbone as well.

Taste - Again, a big burst of grapefruit hops right away. This one amazingly good tasting beer. It is very well balanced with a biscuity, malt backbone.

Mouth - Medium body with medium to high carbonation.

Drinkability - This is an extremely drinkable beer. You do have to be a bit careful at 7%, cause it could sneak up on you if you turn it into your session beer.

What a fantastic IPA. There is a reason it has a 91 rating here. Get if you can; if you can't, trade for it!!!

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into one of the new Sam Adams tasting glasses.

The appearance is a hazy dark yellow straw color with a 1/2 inch of off-white head. Lots of belgian lace was left on the glass.

The aroma is fantastic! A wonderful grapefruit and lemon scent. There are definitely Amarillo hops involved.

The taste is very hoppy, yet balanced. There is a biscuity malt sweetness with a very complex citrus fruit hop bitterness (including grapefruit and lemons).

The mouthfeel is medium, and the drinkability is great. I could drink these all day. The bitterness is not overpowering.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Served out of a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: yellowish-amber color, one finger of white head with some lacing

S: really powerful piney hops

T: lots of hop bitterness up front and finishes on the dry side

MF: smooth, medium bodied.

Drinkability: this IPA is excellent. very easy to drink, it doesn't take long before i'm looking for a refill.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

PoW! Wow! I have had this many times now and it was my 1st try at this style of beer. I must say it is not for the faint of taste! Smells of piney hops and taste to match it. Bitter oh yes! Looks good and feels good in your mouth. (make sure to decant this one though!) Amazing frothy head with fairly nice sticky lacing for this style. Smooth and drinkable for its style, not over carbonated. Lacking a bit on depth of taste but I believe it fits its style nicely. 2 or 3 will go down great on a hot day but the high alcohol content will knock you down fairly quickly! Not sessionable for me but a good start to a tasty evening of drinks. Yum.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Nice warm honey color. Thin head with good lacing. This beer has the a solid 5 for smell. I get citrusy hops, but as it warms, it gets even better. Imagine the wonderful smell of a summer produce market with tons of ripe melons, apples, pears. Ripe cantaloupe is very present. The taste is fresh and hoppy with some malty sweetness. Clean, dry finish. Good full bodied yet refreshing mouthfeel. Delicious. I feel the need to add that this beer seems to be EXTREMELY fresh.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bells Two Hearted Ale (2014) - 7% ABV. When I stopped in at Casey's Beer & Soda (Pine Bush NY) the staff informed me about this bargain ($8 for a four pack) and how I possibly was missing the best beer out there if you like hops. That is a big rep to live up to... but Bells pulls it off. The moment you pop the top of the can you smell the piney goodness-- a hint of lilac and some citrus. Pours a solid amber with very active carbonation. Excellent head and lacing retention. The nose is pine nuts and coriander. A quick bite of malty barley and the sting of pine mark the mid-palate transition. Lingering malt and spice. Finishes crisp, dry, and some lemon bite. A bit of skunk lager notes but the copper ale note persists in the aftertaste. Full bodied with good crisp mouthfeel. The alcohol is subdued. This is very sessionable from a taste standpoint. Very mellow IPA flavor. Tastes like a "baby war elephant" or session IPA but that 7% is there-- proceed with care and respect the beer. Really good. Excellent for that matter. Welcome to the Top Ten list Two Hearted Ale. 4.5 out of 5.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excellent balance of hop and malt. I didnt get any grapefruit mentioned in Bells ad but got a lot of other great tastes on the up front and finish. Pine and resin mostly and gladly detected no tropical.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Copper orange appearance, not much for a head but has a nice thick ring. Aroma of luscious orange hops, sweet and citrusy. Taste is mildly sweet, with more orange/citrus flavor and lightly spicy hops, a bit tangy. Bitterness is subdued, making it mostly a sweeter IPA, but very nice. Medium thick, good coating ability, nice light carbonation present. I would drink this all day long. Thanks Archer Liquors...

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

What a hidden treasure! When I describe this beer as a hidden treasure I am referring to the fact that I kept reaching for other beers for the last few weeks before I decided to try this beer. To me this beer embodies the characteristics of a wonderful IPA, I would rank this as an all time favorite IPA.

Appearance:
The beer poured into the pint glass with a meringue head. The original inch of head diffused until there was a quarter of inch leaving artistic lacing patterns around my glass. The color of the beer seems to be a straw with a beech tone.

Smell:
The floral spiciness that is followed by the rich grapefruit hops aroma is captivating.

Taste:
Very enjoyable as you roll the beer over the tongue dispersing the spicy tanginess.

Mouthfeel:
The carbonation seems to spread the beer throughout the crevices of my mouth as the hops revitalize the taste buds. You must be prepared for this beer, some might find this as unpleasant.

Drinkability:
This is one drinkable beer. I would gladly buy more of this beer and enjoy it when I am looking for a really solid IPA to sooth my hoppy cravings. What a great beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass. As a big IPA fan I've heard a lot of this beer and was eager to try it. Was not disappointed. A great beer that isn't as strong as competitors but still finishes strong.

Appearance: Most certainly strong with a look darker than most IPAs but with the sill strong finger of carbonation. Looks are still gorgeous as one could imagine from an IPA. Darker than the usual bronze.

Smell: Honestly one of the most forgettable parts of the IPA, but still excellent.

Taste: Incredibly smooth while still retaining the amazing hop flavor. Citrus, some malts, and pine are around. There are better tasting IPAs available but not many. Still a great choice.

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth. Extremely solid beer from start to finish that should leave the IPA beersman happy.

Overall: An excellent example of the IPA style. A great beer for someone to try to get into the IPAs.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

(Bottle into Semi-Chilled Pint Glass)

Appearance: Light Orange Hue with Full and Lasting Cream-Colored Head--Clouding a Bit Upon Pouring in the Last of the Sediment. Thick Lace.

Smell: Delicious Floral Scents of Fresh Hops (Grassy/Piney)

Taste: Great Balance Between Underlying 'Bready' Maltiness and its Predominant Earthy Hop Character.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Bodied, Quite Smooth with a Semi-Clean Finish. Perfect Carbonation.

Drinkability: Its Freshness and Smoothness Make This One to Enjoy Over and Over Again. 7% ABV Also Makes for a Cool Buzz.

Other: Very Impressed, a Must Try for any Hop-Head!

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Recently scored this from a friend returning from MN. This one took me by surprise, as one new to Bell's I was not sure what to expect.

The appearance was slightly hazy with a light amber hue.
The thing that really surprised me about this beer was the smell. It reminded me of the sweet piney aroma of a DIPA but in a very drinkable single IPA.
The taste was unfortunately not as nice as the aroma suggested, it felt a little unbalanced to me possibly in the malt department.
This is my ideal summer beer

UPDATE:
After having this beer a few more times from my initial tasting almost a year ago, I have a completely different view of it. I realize now I was being overly critical of this beer especially when it came to the malts used. I think I was looking at Two Hearted Ale as a DIPA when I should have been looking at it as it truly is; a beautifully clean and satisfying IPA with an excellent balance of bitterness and floralness. I have to say this is one of my favorite beers now and most certainly my favorite IPA. Too bad for me I can only get it when my roommate goes home.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: cloudy orange/gold with a one inch head and big carbonation

Smell: hops-grapefruit, and citrus

Taste: Based off of the smell, I was thinking this was going to be a hop bomb. The taste is really complex however. Hops do shine through, but it is balanced by malt and fruit. I get tastes of honey, honeydew melon, sweet fruit like orange and pineapple..Just a wonderful taste.

Mouthfeel: very smooth, sweet with a small bitter hoppy aftertaste

Drinkability: This is a very balanced beer and firmly has me as a Bells convert. To me this does to IPAs what their Amber did to ambers. I love this beer. The highish ABV is masked, but I could otherwise drink these as a session.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to dschuster03 for this extra!

Pours a slightly cloudy peachy orange with a good fluffy white head. Pretty good lace. Nose is of good citrus hop flavor and a little bit of spice. Taste is very very refreshing. A good display of grapefruity citrus hops, some good hop flavor throughout, but a nice malt backbone. This one leans on the hops side (duh) but they are not overpowering. A little extra carbonation helps this beer seem more crisp and refreshing. Drinkability is as good as I have ever found in an IPA. Overall this is a fantastic IPA. Defenitely a good summer beer, incredibly refreshing with lots of good flavor. A fantastic brew, from a fantastic brewing co. I really wish I had some more of this, because I am finding it very hard not to slam this beer. This would defenitley be a go to session beer if it was available here in Alaska. A great IPA.

Edit: Procured a case of this (thanks boralyl) and I think this may be the best session beer ever made.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass and produced a huge, soft, foamy head. It kept a nice thin layer until finished and when I was done the entire glass was coated in sticky lacing.

Citrus hops and a slight sweet malt in the nose with slight hints of floral and pine hops. The smell is a very fresh balance of all kinds of wonderful hops.

It tastes just like it smells, delicious. The bitter finish is well done and leaves a near perfect aftertaste that is typical of a quality IPA.

Mouthfeel is clean, fresh, and crisp. The body is actually light, which...

Makes this an extremely drinkable IPA. In fact, one of the most drinkable I've had. The 7% abv is flat out shocking to me and can't be detected at all.

That's one damn fine IPA.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Pre-drink confession: This is probably the eight or ninth time I've tried this. I've just always forgotten to review because I was too busy being happy. Anyways, poured into a pint glass:

A - Pours a nice, shiny gold with a 1-finger head, white and sustaining. I might need a crystal ball to see through the haze, but there's nice carbonation and sticky, sticky lacing on the way down. Good look about it.

S - Fruity and floral hops with a nice, sweet malt. All of the grounds are covered. Even a pleasant bread scent to go along with it. Really... I want to say balanced nose on this one.

T - Really complex brew, I have to say. Kind of follows the nose, with the citrus flavors showing up first. It's almost tart, but before it becomes too much, the taste melts into a pinier stage than before. They didn't bother trying to cover up the alcohol, which normally would bother me, but it somehow cancels out any sharpness from the other flavors. Gosh... this is just excellent.

M - Smooth, medium body that just flows right down the throat. Carbonation is spot-on. What I'd expect from an IPA!

D - Sometimes I have to remind myself that I can only spend so much on beer at a time. This is yet another beer that forces me to hesitate. High marks.

Overall/notes - I can't say too much here. I've had this on-tap and in the bottle, and both are extremely delicious. Much better than their Pale Ale. Certainly ranks among the best IPAs I've had so far. Going to kick back and watch a movie with a second one!

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Slightly hazy orange-red color. Thick head that retains well. Thick lacing on side of glass.

S: Pleasant and sweet! Nice citrus hoppy smell.

T: Sweet smell carries over into taste. To me this is not a bitter ipa. I get none of the grapefruit bitterness that I am coming to expect from an American ipa. Very smooth tasting. Nice balance between hops and malts, that really goes down way too easily. Finally getting the bitterness half way through the glass.

M: Medium body, with slight carbonation. Creamy.

D: Definite!

I think that this beer is the best balance that I have seen between a traditional ipa and heavy hopped West Coast ipa. So far to me, it is the ultimate in regards to drinkability as far as American ipa's go.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a hazy dark orange with a slight white head that fades quickly. The smell of this beer is original, like nothing else I have encountered. Full of fruity, not so much citrus as actual fruit smells and a great deal of hops. A full character just from the smell. The taste does not disappoint. I am not an avid IPA drinker but this one is tops in my book. A full body of flavors and characters revisiting the smells. I didn't like the overpowering carbonated feel, taking away from the mouthfeel and overall drinkability. I would recommend this brew to all IPA fans, this brew is better than most IPAs. Enjoy!

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: A hazy golden-orange body capped by about two fingers of densely-packed off-white head that fades slowly and leaves brilliant lacing.

Aroma: Lots of juicy, citrusy, and slightly leafy hops over a caramel malt body. It sounds strange, but I get shades or fresh orange juice from time to time.

Flavor: Up front, the mildly bitter hops lead the charge and are again juicy, citrusy, and a little leafy. Underneath, there's a solid biscuity malt body keeping everything grounded. It's balanced rather nicely, though the focus is (rightly) on the hops. That moderately-high alcohol content is totally masked. Biscuity malt and juicy in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation and a drying finish.

Drinkability: This goes back without any issue whatsoever, and would probably make a great session choice if it wasn't for the slightly beefy alcohol content.

Verdict: It's clear why Two Hearted has built such a great reputation; this is just a straightforward, well-crafted, and satisfying American IPA. After this introduction to Bell's I can't wait to try another of their beers.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Shared with some friends while homebrewing. Pours a very light and clean orange color with a nearly white head.

Sweetness dominates the nose. Pineapple and grapefruit take center stage, with a good floral aroma in place in the back. The taste is refreshing citrus. There is also a floral hop character and only mild bitterness to finish it. This is an awesomely mild IPA.

The mouthfeel is fairly light, if not a little oily. However, I think I could drink these all night. A fantastic brew.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.