Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,456 | Ratings: 13,855
4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I've been waiting to try this beer for a long while, but it has only recently become available in Virginia. To celebrate its arrival in the Old Dominion, I have poured it into my etched Monticello stein, in honor of one of the commonwealth's most famous sons.

It's a slightly cloudy beer, brassy in color, with a thin and resilient head and thin trails of lace. Its aroma is similar to DFH 60 minute, but finer, more delicate, and eminently floral. Marvelous in the mouth -- chewy, with slightly burning grapefruit and pine nicely offset by malt... my word, my word, was this worth the wait.

After you swallow, your mouth tingles slightly, and it seems that the beer is now coming out of your salivary glands! Which is far more pleasant an effect than it probably sounds.

I keep coming back to the word "delicate." That's a strange word, considering that this is such a hoppy brew. But it is, it is delicate. Perhaps balanced is a better word. This is very nice. As it warms, it becomes even more complicated.

This is far too drinkable. I don't usually find beers that make that characteristic so easy to score. I love a moderately-alcoholic IPA that still manages to slap you around a bit. Only, this beer is like being slapped by the most beautiful person you could imagine... and wanting more!

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Over a thousand reviews of the one already, what's left to say?

Enjoy it with salsa and chips, I did, and it was delicious. Oh, the beer is orange, it reeks of delicious hops and taste like a american IPA.

A tamer "hopslam" if a definition is required. Thanks to Greg for sending this one on a recent trade.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Glad to find some Bell's in the South. I've heard of this beer and was eager to give it a try. It's an opaque amber-orange, with an small off white head that laces mildly. On the nose, I catch mango and pineapple, or perhaps some other tropical fruits, as well as a buttery, toasted malt character that's subtle, but balancing in it's effect. The taste follows. It's light and refreshing with some floral and tropical notes, followed by some residual piny-ness that ends in a dry, malty finish. Medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. A superbly balanced and flavorful IPA. Quite possibly the best I've had so far.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured into Goose Island IPA glass. Has dark gold/bronze color with a nice foam head after the pour.

Hop smell is fantastic, not sure of hops used but the aroma is something you want to suck across your olfactory over and over.

Taste is nice - a fair amount of malt provides the balance I feel is needed for highly hopped beers.

Mouthfeel is good but is a little too thin. Carbonation feels nice on the tongue.

Drinkability is pretty good and I could probably suck a few of these down without getting tired of hops or a sour stomach.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very well-balanced for the style. This is one of my go-to beers when I can't decide or don't feel like trying something new. It's probably not going to win over the real hopoholics, but still a very nice smooth beer. I feel like it may be closer to an APA vs. an IPA, but we're splitting hairs there. The 7% is well-hidden, which can sneak up on you as these can go down quickly.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I've been on another IPA journey, lately, and it's been great. In order, I have visited Bell's HopSlam, Stone Ruination, and Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I'm delighted with all three, and in love with HopSlam, but the surprise of them was Two Hearted Ale. I've long been a fan of Dogfish's 60- and 90-minute IPAs, and the Hercules Double IPA has been the king of that style for me for a while. You'll have to read other reviews to see if it has retained its crown . . .

Two Hearted definitely beats it in one category: drinkability. It's a big-hopper, for sure, but it has a better balance and doesn't assault your taste buds like Hercules or Ruination. Citrus and pineapple are refreshingly pleasant, and the malt is right where it needs to be. To echo another review, it's so enjoyable that the glass is empty before you're ready, and you definitely want another. I need to test it against a few more, but for drinkability and price (compared to the very pricey competition), this may be my new favorite IPA.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

This one was courtesy of Faro, thanks!

Transparent, burnt orange bottom with lots of carbonation rising to the head. Creamy foam head that fades quickly, but does not leave a murky looking film.

Sweet, floral smell, with a strong hop profile in the aroma. Grapefruit, honey, and some delicious smelling malts. Fruit esters. Very pleasant aroma.

One sip is all I need to know that this one is truly deserving of its praise. Strong hop taste on the palette, but biterness is surprisingly well contained/blended. Floral qualities translate well on the tongue, also a little grass/straw taste. Some lingering grapefruit from the bitterness, and a superb, crisp finish without tasting like straight, clean filtered water.

Nice, medium body, with a creamy mouthfeel. Mouthfeel does not give way to water, which I can truly appreciate. A treat to drink, drinkability is somewhere in between a session brew and a sipping brew.

Someone trade me more of this!

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I love a good IPA. This is a no-brainer as I love it too. Pours a nice hazy copper with a nice lacy head. Has the aroma of nice citrusy hops which makes me smile every time. The taste isn't as hoppy as I thought it would be but it is nice and crisp with a nice citursy hop flovor, almost a lime taste to it. Anyway this beer is what people claim that it is, but I am happy that there are others out there that are easier to find. I love hops therefore I am biased to any hoppy beer. Respect HOPs.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a dark orange color with amber hues, and a large off-white head. Smells of pineapples and floral hops. The taste is very fruity and lively with nice hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. Overall, this is a great brew. Its taste doesn't get old, and its aroma is wonderful.

---
Edit 2/22/09: Over the years I have come to love the the taste and aroma of this beer, but hate the after effects. This beer more than any other I have ever drank leads to a very bad hangover. I mean I can't drink more than one without having a terrible headache all day long the day after.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

'8386' packaged on March 24, 2008. Just over 2 months ago, but still tasting very fresh.

I've had this many times, and it's about time to re-review it.

A: Tarnished gold with a fluffy white head, not much retention, but some nice lace.

S: Wonderful hoppy nose, with grass, pine & tangerine. Some underlying biscuity malt.

T: Assertive bitterness, but smooth. Plenty of hop flavour (grass, nectarine, tangerine, pine, slightly steelie). Light toffee & biscuity malt with hints of fruity ale esters.

M: Well-attenuated, moderate body; moderate carbonation. Slight hop acidity.

D: Exceptionally drinkable for its weight.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a cloudy orange with a tasty looking foamy peach-colored head, lots of suspended yeast, and some cool looking cascading carbonation. Super sweet and fruity hop aroma, can't wait. Damn, this doesn't disappoint, either. A tasty, sweet, doughy maltiness is present but is beaten severely by the copious hops. Highly herbal and lemony, the bitterness is matched by a good measure of sweetness. As the glass empties, a serious coating of lace is left cemented to the inside. The finish is dry and bitter, but not at all unpleasant. I've not usually been much of a hop head, but this was delicious and amazingly drinkable. None of the wack aftertaste and mouthfeel I've experienced with some APAs and IPAs. Easily my favorite IPA yet.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A - A golden orange with a slight inch of foam at top also leaves laces around the glass.

S - Citrusy hops with slight hint of malts.

T - A true beer, the hops and malts both combine to give a very fruity taste. Really Enjoyable.

M - I enjoy this beer very much because of the low body and very little bitterness for an IPA.

D -Definitely a beer that can be drunk on the regular. I will always want this IPA before others if it is available.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner style glass from Paoli Peaks lodge in Indiana. Don't hate on my limited skiing abilities.

Pours a hazy very light orange with half a finger head, my color may differ from other reviews, I suspect from dimmer lighting. Leaves very light lacing.

Smells very citric and piney with grapefruit smell being predominant.

Mouthfeel was very light, a very easy drinker.

Taste is exceptional. A very well balanced IPA utilizing the malts and hops on a near perfect level. My first Bell's product and won't be my last, if it were only distributed somewhere in west or middle TN. Until then, I must prepare more trips to Bowling Green.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A-pours a yellow slight orange with a inch or so white head which leaves a nice lacing
S-big hops witha blend of grapefruit and pine which comes off very full and complex with a little bit of a biscut malt in the background
T-again a big hop presence with a nice malt backbone very complex yet still very refrshing
M-very light with a good carbonation when comined with the hop presence gives a very rough fell in your mouthvery refreshing
D- highly drinkable, very light and refreshing while still providing a big ipa hop presence a great balance of ipa flavor while still being very refreshing

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

As a portlander I am surrounded with spectacular beer and it is not often that I say "man, I wish (insert beer) was distributed here.". Bell's Two Hearted Ale made me say that today. This ranks among the best citrus IPAs I have ever tasted. I think This has found a place in my top 5 IPAs.

Two hearted is a slightly hazy copper orange color in my Sierra Nevada hop glass, there is some visible carbonation. After the pour the beer had a 3/4 inch cream head and as I drink it leaves sticky lacing. The smell of this beer is absolutely spectacular, I caught whiffs of orange before I was able to get the cap all the way off my bottle. The dominant smell is the citrus hops, but I think I am catching some floral hops as well. The taste starts with a slight sweetness, in the middle of my tongue I get a bit of pine flavor, finally as I swallow the beer I get a strong grapefruit bitterness. This grapefruit lingers into the aftertaste. The mouthfeel for this beer is just where it should be. Overall, the only negative I can see about this beer is that I can't get it at the supermarket.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a bottle from batch 9346, bottled on Sept. 8.

A - Pours a medium orange-yellow. Pretty ample carbonation forms a thick, creamy off-white head. Leaves some streaks of lacing behind.

S - Ah, such a great aroma. Flowery, grassy, with citrus undertones. It's very perfume-y. No detectable malt, honestly.

T - The floral/grassy notes come through enormously in the taste. Finishes slightly dry with a grassy bitterness that just goes and goes. There are some really slight pale malts noticeable in the finish, but not much. The only reason not to give this a 5 is because this is basically a month old, and while still within the realm of fresh, I know it can be a bit better.

MF - The carbonation works great here. Liveliness the washes into a pretty oily feel.

D - Just great. As my hop tolerance has really grown over the last year, so has my considerations for drinkability of IPAs. There's enough dryness to keep you coming back. Also, price wise, this is the best IPA I've had for the money, though it's in a pretty small range of my other favorite IPAs. Regardless, it's in my top three IPAs.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I love this beer. One of my absolute favorite ipas. I seem never to be in a place or time to review it properly, but I finally find myself alone with a bottle with everyone else in bed and decided to have at it. Pours a beautiful slightly hazy golden with a very healthy head that sticks around and leaves some very nice lacing. The smellis wonderful. Deep and bright aromas of citrusy hops, some slight grassiness, and a slight hint of malt in the back to balance. Perfect ipa aromas in my book. The taste is also wonderful. The same wonderful citrus flavors and bitterness, a slight sense of graininess, and the hops turn earthy and spicy as the flavor goes on. Not the most bitter beer I've had, or the one with the longest finish, or the most perfectly balanced, but the overall package is nice- quite hoppy while retaining a certain subtlety. Very nice. The mouthfeelis full and slightly grainy. I like it, but I'd be happy if it were slightly less grainy. Exquisitely tasty and drinkable.

12oz bottle poured into tulip aug22 2010

A hazy pale golden with lots of little particles being moved around by a few bubbles floating up to a two finger head that lasted for a couple of minuets and left a few specks of lace

S big floral and tropical fruit with a little caramel, quite a nice blend of fruit with a little pine

T again plenty of tropical fruit and a little more pine then I could smell some caramels and no booze whatsoever, enough malt to balance things out preventing the hops from taking over completely

M not sure where all the carbonation comes from because I couldn't see this much in the glass but it creams it up a bit and this beer has great length and sticks to your gums a bit

D this is a great IPA and I was shocked at how easily it went down, for 7%alc it's very dangerous because I would be drinking this at the rate of water and I doubt that would end well

I need to thank irishkyle21 for sending this gem my way it's a great well rounded beer that I would be drinking all the time if I could get it in my area

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

My favorite from Bell's. If I am in a bar or restaurant that carriers this , bottle or keg, iThis always my choice. Usually that's what I drink for the remainder of the stay. It's an easy drinking hoppy ale, not as bitter as many imperials or IPAs. There are citrus note but they're not overwhelming.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a hazy yellow, with a slight orange tint. Rather unassuming and unintimidating.

S: Lemons, a little grass. Nice sweet hoppiness here. Good malt.

T: Citrus in the front with a great bitter in the mid-palate, finishing refreshingly and invitingly dry. Great stuff.

M: Rather light mouthfeel for the punch this beer packs, as well as the abv.

D: Yes, please. Anytime. This is definitely one of my favorite all-around beers. Reasonably priced (though still unavailable here in SC), drinkable as hell, and just damn thirst-quenching despite the strength.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Aztec gold with an almost polka dot pattern imprinted by super-fine remnants of suspended yeast. It is brimming, the kind of glimmering brightness that causes me to look up, half expecting to see someone casting a spotlight on it from above. Its head defects in some places but is, generally speaking, thorough and full-bodied. Also, it leaves charming blood splatter like patterns of spotty lacing.

Never mind following the heart - follow your nose! You want super-citrusy fruity hoppiness? We got it. You want sticky, sappy, resiny hoppiness? We got it. The ulta-toasty, caramel-doused malt base - nice as it is - can hardly even be detected under all this hoppiness. It is an intoxicating acidic array, a tropical jungle full of citrus fruits, a rainbow of bright and vibrant colours. It will induce the hop-head into a zen-like state of nirvana.

Hop heads eat (literally, drink) your heart out! This tastes a-m-a-z-i-n-g. Zesty orange peel, candied grapefruit, grilled mango squirted in lemon juice, caramelized coconut, spiked pineapple puree - it is all and every ounce of flavour you can hope to find in an American IPA. The malt provides just enough biscuity caramel to keep the acidity afloat and the pungency at bay; with that help, the hops can really go to town - and they do.

Two-Hearted gets right at the heart of the matter - hops. It is the nectar of the hoppy beer gods. Hop farmers should devote a ritual involving this beer to appease the gods. Sacrifice it, sacrifice something to it, do some kind of dance, make a donation to charity in its name, pour it all over the seeds and soil - do whatever it must take to make the hop gods happy so that we can continue to rejoice in the sappy, citrusy goodness of lupullin.

This is easily one of the best IPA's - and I refuse to disclaim that as merely my own opinion. Survey 100 BA's and ask them to describe the perfect IPA. It is likely that all 100 accounts, however different in their respective portrayals, will each and every one depict, in one facet or another, the Bell's Two Hearted Ale. It is simultaneously one of the most flavourful, most aromatic, most sessionable and satisfying beers out there.

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. That must be true; the occasions I get to have this beer are few and far between but each time I come back to it, I seem to love it more than the time before. Its quaffability, its quality of ingredients, the vibrant and satiating presence of so many Centennial hops - this may honestly be the best IPA in an American market that knows no shortage of great IPA's.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

At first, way too bitterly unbalanced. Much like Stone Ipa or Ruination. I like those once in a while for a hop assault, but not for more casual drinking. Anyway, the more I drank, the more the nuances showed through. Surprisingly complex and floral with a strong honey presence. Reccomended

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Friend brought this back from Wisconsin for me, first Bells offering i've tried.

Pours hazy light orange with a very fluffy, rocky head which never completely goes away and clumps down the glass. Smells of piny, floral, citrusy hops with a very slight funkiness to it. I like it. First up there's very soft bready malt then an incredibly full, round, lush(but not at all aggressive) orangy pine hop flavor takes over my mouth. Bready malts and a nice medium creamy mouthfeel support it throughout. An interplay of spicy hops and pale toasted malts linger on in the finish. This is really terrific. Such a round, full, yet subtle flavor. Drinkable to the end. Best IPA i've had yet; what it lacks in aggression is made up with its cunning subtlety. Sadly I only have one more bottle.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Hazy golden and poured with about a 3/4 inch thick foamy head. Left nice lace throughout the glass. Kept a nice cap throughout.

S - Fruity and hoppy, but not overly hoppy. Nice balance between floral, grapefruit and hops.

T - Yum.

M - Subtle malt, but nice floral / hoppy taste. Perfect carbonation. Everything mixes well.

D - Very smooth for a 7%er... one of my favorite IPA's... other than my homebrew, of course!

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

The beer is a cloudy yellow probably due to the fine layer of yeast at the bottom of the bottle, and moreover due to Bell's unfiltered nature. The head has an initial whipped cream-like appearance on first pour, then forms an everlasting wispy cloud-like patch on the top of the beer with lacing on the sides of my imperial pint glass. Even more noticeable is this beer's candy-like smell with some sort of strange interplay between the malts and the wonderfully smelling floral hops. Smells more like a gumball to me than Gumballhead! Taste is where it comes together in an interesting almost butterscotch candy sweetness (diacetyl alchohol) washed back with those bitter hops! I'm not sure if this is one of the great before or after dinner beers. Despite it's paler appearance this is one rich and filling beer at 6.0% abv. Mouthfeel is about where a beer like this should be, perhaps a tad thin. Pretty dang drinkable and those hop burps are great!

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.