Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,487 | Ratings: 14,030
4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

This beer has a special place in my heart, see my avatar, but that aside it is delicious!

A slightly hazy golden, nice white head, pretty good lacing

S floral and citrusy hops, some nice tart grapefruit smells, very enticing

T delicious. the citrus comes through, a nice bitterness, with a touch of malt sweetness.

M/D very smooth, perfect carbonation, a great beer that one could drink several of and not get bored.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

This is one of my favorites! When it was on sale for $6.99 at Big Red for a month, I probably bought 30 six-packs! It also makes a bad-ass black and tan. Way better than Bass and Guiness, and my last name is Bass. This is one of the best beers I've ever had. Great look, taste, buzz, everything!

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

As a beer lover I wish I had the writing ability to creatively rate and review a beer like a lot of critics do (just not that fluent of a writer) This beer is deserving of that praise.

This was one of those beers you'd never seen in the Tampa, Florida market without trying to look for it, except in speciality stores. After trying it, what a great beer! I am colored blind, so that hurts me when I rate appearance! My sister and I were playing a game of pool (the exceptional beer tasting environment) when we tried this. It's got a nice "kick" from the 7% ABV, but not where it overpowers the flavor. Great "drinkablility", that's to say it tastes great. No bad after taste and it leaves you wanting to order another one, and probably another ater that. This is one beer you really have to try.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a 12 ouncer into my Dogfish Head specialty glass.

Heard a lot about this beer, figured I'd give it a shot and save it for my 100th review. Right out of the bottle this thing looks great. Pours a murky yet glowing honey wheat color with light peach-colored highlights and lots of effervescent carbonation running up the side of the glass and into two fingers of fluffy, bubbly off-white head. The head has amazing retention and leaves dripping rings of sticky lacing hanging from the side of the glass.

The nose is probably one of the best I've smelled on any beer to date. As soon as I popped the bottle, I could smell a cornucopia of scents, and that beautiful head on the beer really helped release them once it hit the glass. Candied lemon peel, grapefruit, and any other kind of citrus you can think of leap out of the glass in volumes. This thing smells delicious.

Two Hearted doesn't disappoint on the palate, either. I was geared up for a punishing bout with the citrusy hops I smelled in the nose, and although they were there in full flavor, a sweet, buttery maltiness hung around to counteract some bitterness and make for an interesting combination of bitterness, sweetness, and sticky hop flavor in my mouth. I could ask for maybe a bit more bitterness, but who am I to complain? Very well done.

The mouthfeel is good as well. Medium bodied with a creaminess that works well with the oily nature of the hops, as well as a restrained amount of carbonation that doesn't overpower but lets you know it's there with a tickle on the tongue. Two Hearted starts wet and creamy and finishes dry.

Bell's really knocked this one out of the park. I could drink a six pack of this in one night and not regret it at all, no matter what the next morning held for me. Just a very well put-together American IPA that doesn't disappoint in any of the categories and excels in most. A very solid choice for my 100th review. Here's to you, Two Hearted. Can I toast the beer that I'm drinking?

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Batch 8619 (packaged on 7.10.08) purchased on 08.02.08 from Steve's Licker in Madison, WI.
Cloudy orange with a teriffic glowing 2 fingers of near-white head. Smell of citrus, apricots and freshly baked pretzels.
A faint touch of wheat on the tip of my tongue, followed by a lovely array of chalky, citrus and pine hop flavor. The flavor is very apparent, yet somehow restrained by the malt that is there. Very long lasting on the palate too, and finishes very hoppy. Touch of soft pretzel malt taste in the mouthfeel, somehow in the middle of the hop beauty. Spotty lacing in the glass. Extremely drinkable for a 7% IPA with this much flavor.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Pours a beautiful opaque, burnt-amber color. 3 finger head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving fluffy residue. Lacing very present.

S - Right off the bat you get a phenomenal aroma of fruity and floral sweetness. Yet very sweet smelling, it's the perfect blend of spice that prevents if from being overly bearing. Notes of various citron scents, pine, and faint hints of pepper and spice.

T - A perfect blend of malt and hops are present at the beginning of every sip; sweet yet well balanced with bitterness - neither overly baring. Finishes with mouthful of well blended spices and hints of pepper and pine. The most distinct flavors I can note are that of lemon, pine and malt.

M - Medium bodied beer with little carbonation present. Doesn't leave much of an aftertaste- very sharp, clean finish. Fluffy, full feeling beer overall.

O - This has now been my 2nd beer from Bell's and similar to the first, has left me wanting more. A few months back I got to try and fall in love with their Hopslam ale; quickly learning I will be having to wait until next winter before I get a chance to have that again. With Bell's recently being brought to my location, I got lucky enough to try another beer by them and was wholeheartedly impressed; again! An incredible IPA from an incredible company; I have no complaints.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a medium amber color with average size head. This beer has a great depth of flavor, because the hops are backed up by enough malt to balance it out. It is medium to full bodied, but not heavy. I thought overall this beer was very drinkable and all of its flavors were in harmony: I can't wait to get some more of this!

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a cloudy peach with a disintegrating head. Seems like I usually get more head out of this one, but this pour was very disappointing. Will rerate if necessary. Smell hits you right after you pour before you can even get your nose in there. An earthy, floral hop character dominates with some extra sweet pineapple in the background. Not much malt in there. Taste is delicious. No attempt at balance whatsoever is made, but that's ok in my book. The only time it hurts this beer is in the finish, which ends up very grainy and not quite as smooth as it could be. Other than that, this is just a full on hop attack, and it is done very well. Never before have I had an IPA that succeeds at balancing floral and citrusy hops so well. A fresh sample of this stuff is amazingly potent in taste, always blending the two main hop flavors together well. And there's no hop bite to speak of. It's hardly bitter at all and the mouthfeel is velvety. If there's not at least one of these in my beer fridge, then I'm either drinking my last one at the moment or I'm dead.

Edit: Bumped up appearance from 3.5 to 4.5. This is a beautiful beer - the bottle I reviewed must have been too cold or not very fresh.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From my haulback from Michigan (I'm glad I'm finally reviewing this - after all of the years!):

Bottled April 25, 2012; consumed on October 9th:

Into a pint glass:

A: clear, bright orange colored body and gives a decent foamy one finger white head, has some nice spider web lacing along the sides of the glass. No carbonation is seen rising.

S: orange up front with some hops tingling in the background.

T: previously mentioned flavors balanced really well.

M: light to medium with nothing sharp on the tongue. Though a fairly high ABV, there is a drinkable quality to this beer.

O: wow! Right now I'm wishing I had more of this when I lived in Michigan and am wishing I could get this in Maine. This blows all American IPA's made in the New England area out of the water. I would have this again in a heartbeat.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is the best gateway drug into the IPA world.

Mouthfeel and hoppyness are certainly well within the tolerances of the IPA-uninitiated but, even better, makes Two Hearted nicely suited for all-day drinkability, if you are so inclined.

A very mild floral fuses very well with the hop nature of this beer, masking the bite of the hops just well enough to "get you over" the IPA wall that stops many.

I rank this second only to O'Dell's IPA in terms of overall taste, this is ABSOLUTELY one of the very best beers you can drink of any type.

Very hard to find on tap outside of the northern midwest. I find very little difference between the bottled and draught examples I have tried, and I have tried many.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Wow! I finally land a pint of 2-Hearted on cask. At the Buckeye Beer Engine.

A-Golden copper with an absolutely lovely, thick, meringue-like, off-white head that reduced a touch and left thick, ringing lace.

S-Mangoes and tangerine with a subtle hint of sweet caramel! Whoa! This is nice!

T-Ahhh---WOW! All the hops, Oh my! The malt--mmmm! Damn, so nice. Honey covered tropical fruit compote on a fresh baked biscuit--Gees Louise this is good.

M-Medium bodied yet soft and light feeling. So smooth and creamy. LONG lingering bitterness--absolutely delicious!

D-Crazy good! This, already very good beer, is off the hizey served on cask! So glad to finally track down this one down served via the engine!

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a clear golden yellow-orange with a thin foamy head and semi-sticky lacing. The carbonation jumped from the bottom of the glass steadily in an almost champagne like manner.

S - Citric hops with some earthy undertones. Sweet and malty. Nicely balanced.

T - Spicey hops. Not too bitter. Very even tasting with a good hops presence. One of my favorite IPAs.

M - Very even and alive. Leaves a cooling taste in my mouth with a subtle bitterness. Crisp and clean. Refreshing.

D - Extremely drinkable IPA. The ABV is deceivingly well hidden in this brew.

edit (5/18/2011) - re-read this review as I had a fresh 2 hearted (first one in a LONG time) and every word/rating holds true for me, cept maybe the beer's appearance...seemed more murky than clear.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a slightly hazy golden color, with just a hint of orange. Medium off-white head that leaves massive, rocky lacing as it travels down the glass. Smells of fresh apricot and lemongrass. Taste begins with a big grapefruit rind flavor, followed by a light crackery malt middle. After that is some great citrus flavors, tangerine and grapefruit being the primary. The finish is super dry and piney. Mouthfeel is rich. Overall an outstanding IPA, super dry with massive citrus flavors make this one of my all time favorite IPAs.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

This one is a cloudy gold drink with a very pale head that soon subsides to a thin lacy blanket on the top.

The interesting think about this one, to me, is the smell. At first whiff i got a floral hop aroma but upon closer examination I am getting a really strong movie popcorn butter smell. This is very interesting and i don't know if this is supposed to be present. I will now drink, minding the unpoped kernels.

Yeah, its there. There is the usual malt taste and the bitterness of the hops, but in the for-ground is a taste of movie popcorn butter. It is not exactly unpleasant, but it is very present and kind of grabs all the tasters attention. I am not sure i appreciate it in there.

I will have to give this one another try. Although it is a decent beer, I wonder how the butter taste works into it. I think the drinkability suffers from it.

UPDATE.

Having acquired a new bottle of this from the famous FM, I am re-reviewing it with more positive results.

A bloomy could of bulbous head on a Dusty gold liquid. Head recedes leaving a moon like surface. Hops are very apparent and makes the mouth water.

There is an odd background smell that reminds me of drywall mud. The head is clinging and very attractive.

Mouth is amazingly smooth. Perfect balance. Sweet and tangy and reminds me a lot of Arrogant Bastard. Mouth waters after first drink and mouth-feel is great. Drinkability is A-one!

el

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

pours a cloudy orange, like really orange with a full head that sticks around throughout the beer and laces the glass nicely

smell is slightly strong citrus at first, thought this was going to be an orange tasting beer, but calms after a few seconds but still smelling of oranges

taste is fantastic! possibly a perfect mix of orange/citrus and floral tastes... not too strong on either... not as bitter as some IPAs but just tastes really balanced

feels a little sharp in the mouth, medium-heavy carbonation

this beer is a treat to drink, i had this by itself, but it would go great with a spicy seafood meal

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Golden amber color, mostly clear (draft versions show brilliant clarity). Sticky foam puts up a valiant effort to stay afloat and subsequently leaves a thick blanket of stratified lacing.

Aroma is powerful, attractive, and balanced. The hops are prominent, citric (grapefruit), light in tone but strong of volume. Touch of sweet malt; a little stronger in that department this could be a five for smell. But the hops are so nice...

Before waxing poetic about the hops, the malt profile is light and slightly sweet, with a nod toward a buttery diacetyl (this flavor becomes a little more pronounced with the draft versions I've had, probably as the keg was winding down). The malt is pale, but sugary enough to counteract the intense hopping, which is grapefruit and flowers all the way. Hop oils are very present but I find them pleasing, a tongue-caressing smack of bitterness. I think this is the best tasting IPA I've ever had.

Feeling strange about near perfect scores on everything, I was unduly harsh on the mouthfeel for being just a hair thin. I have encountered examples of the style that have a little more presence, to the point of being almost chewy. Which I love. But the Two Hearted more than makes up for that by being so incredibly drinkable, absolutely a joy to partake of, and sessionably smooth - perfect carbonation keeps everything in check and whisks the oils away leaving a floral aftertaste. Finish is crisp and clean, and not at all bitter or unpleasant afterwards. The hops are present without overpowering anything about the brew. Watch out for the 7%, cause I could drink a case of this stuff.

I've enjoyed this ale on tap many the time, absolutely superlative. So smooth and full of flavor...I've made friends at the bar by picking out pint glasses of Two Hearted by appearance and starting a conversation by talking about the superior quality and eminent drinkability of this beer. The bottled version is by no means a letdown, spot-on style perfection, and a personal favorite IPA.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a golden orange color with two fingers of foamy white head.

Scent of strong hops, citrus, and sweet sugar to balance it out. One of the beers I can not get enough of the scent, awesome stuff.

Taste of hops, citrus, and sugars. Excellent, a bit more balanced that the bottled version.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a nice bite.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Hazy dim copper. Thin beige head. Lace is more than adequate. Spotty, droopy lace all the way down. Aroma is a lot of hops and a little toffee malts. Not quite as "bright" of hop tones, but they make themselves known nonetheless. The flavor is great. Again, the hops aren't as "bright" as the pushed or bottled version of this, but they are very enjoyable in their citric and piney characteristics. The malts are toffeeish in nature and provide the perfect balance to the hops. The bitterness is very clean. The mouthfeel is perfect. Creamy and velvety and very little carbonation. Room temperature and perfect. This was the first time I had this on cask and it was so damn drinkable. This one is drinkable by the gallon in this form. Great beer on cask.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a hazy golden orange color with a nice two finger head with good retention and lacing.

Aroma is citrus and floral hops primarily and a faint caramel smell in the background.

Taste is more of the same. Citrusy hops. A little grapefruit and a little orange peel. Also a little pale malt present as well. A bread/dough like pressence towards the end.

Mouthfeel is smooth and is very pleasant.

This is definitely an easy drinking beer that I will pick up again.

12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a hazy yellow/orange with a big white head that fades to a small layer and leaves tons of sticky lacing.

S: The nose is huge with tropical fruits, grapefruit, hops, and a malt sweetness in the back.

T: Tropical fruits and a grapefruit style bitterness on first sip. Big fruity hoppy bitterness and a nice sweetness on the finish. Very balanced and begs for another sip. Pretty refreshing and one of the best IPAs I've ever had.

M: The feel is on par with the style, crisp yet creamy.

D: I would buy this all the time if it was available in TX. Excellent example of an American IPA and very tasty.

Thanks to hayesez for hooking me up with this!

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

I like this one better on tap than bottle--of course, that's almost always true, but in this case I've had both on multiple occasions. This is a well-rounded IPA, but I'd prefer a bit more flavor. That's just my preference. It seems to do better on a clean palette. This may be my next favorite IPA after Avery's.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Finger thickness of thick frothy head, patches of sticky foam along the sides of the glass, pale golden color with a slight orange hue - 4.50, S: Utterly delightful hoppy aroma, centennial hops rule - loads of citrusy smells with some nice floral aromas as well, balanced with some sweet malts - 4.50, T: Grapefruit and orange zest, a touch resiney and a hint of pine, solid hop bitterness, wonderfully balanced with pale malts, near perfect palate for an IPA - 5.00, M: A touch thinner than I might like, a little more body would be welcome though still very respectable - 4.00, D: Two Hearted was my go to beer for a couple of years and I still consider it one of if not the best examples of an American IPA, wonderful use of hops while not being overwhelmed, extremely drinkable - 4.75

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

I enjoyed this at The Heorot last Tuesday. This is a beer I tend to come back to more often than not. I enjoy the "back to nature" taste of this beer.

Appearance- A light caramel color, with a light, white foamy head.

Smell/Taste- I sometimes get floral overtones in both the smell and taste of this beer. This particular tasting was a little soapy (which had more to do with the glass than anything). However, it was still incredible as the flavorful beer over-powered the dish soap. Slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel- Light carbonation, playful!

Drinkability- I enjoy this beer. It's definitely not a beverage for lite beer drinkers. I think it is an exceptional beer that should definitely be consumed...great around a campfire!

4.66/5  rDev +9.4%

presentation: 12oz. bottle with 4 color logo of an illustration of a fish with a red and white border. "two hearted ale" in a red cheesy cooper-like font with white shrink and swell. an explanation of their ipa is printed on the back. no abv or freshness date displayed. there is the number 6957 printed in a white box on the bottom of the label- maybe a batch code?

appearance: pours a super hazy dark caramel and orange with yellow-orange highlights in a tulip glass. nice two finger fluffy white head with a slight yellow cast. i mean, this beer is crazy cloudy with the top being much darker than the bottom. small trails are dropping through the beer to the bottom of the glass that looks like the last seconds of a firework. i don't know how else to describe it. a little odd.

smell: lotsa citrusy hops. lemons and grapefruits and a nice pineapple aroma. a light piney aroma as well. some alcohol in the late nose.

taste: first sip is citrus with an almost electric hop bitterness. lots of grapefruit and lemons. piney hop burps. there's a yeasty bready flavor at the end of the sip. there's very little malt flavors but maybe a little caramel as the brew warms. not very balanced at all. this is an ipa, though. finishes a little dry with a bitter aftertaste.

mouthfeel: smooth light medium body but crisp. nice carbonation and a very good swallow.

drinkability: one of those beers where i'm almost done drinking before i can rate the drinkability. therefore, dangerously drinkable! very tasty and smells dreamy. the aftertaste also keeps you yearning for another sip...or another bottle.

overall: very nice ipa. i hate when the only thing that really hurts a beer is it's appearance. the aroma makes up for it however. highly recommended.

4.66/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, packaged on 8/13/13. Purchased from the Wegmans in State College, PA. Served in a tulip.

A- Pours a light orange but hazy body topped by a one inch soapy white head. The head recedes fairly quickly

S- Delightful citrus on the nose, mostly lemon and grapefruit. Slightly sweet smelling. There's almost a peach aroma floating around in the background

T- Hop and malt balanced all the way through. Grapefruit, orange, and lemon up front, with pine in the background, all the while mingling with just the right amount of malt. Not overly bitter, which certainly helps the drinkability.

M- Perfectly medium-bodied and middle of the road carbonation. I'm happy it doesn't lean too far one way or the other.

O- The beer isn't even 4 weeks old and I'm glad, because this is just great when fresh. This thing is just so damn drinkable.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.