Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |
Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,445 | Ratings: 13,818
4.71/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Very hazy amber color, two finger white head, ok lacing, lots of carbonation.

S: Grapefruit, mango, hops. Bitter on the back end. Lovely!

T: Grapefruit, malt, hops. Superb :)

F: Great mouthfeel, refreshing, dangerously drinkable.

O: Amazing IPA. One of the best I tried lately.

I have numerous favorites when it comes to beer. Every style has its favorite. This beer is my favorite beer in the world. If you told me I could only have one beer to drink for the rest of my life.... This is it. I only wish it was around the 5.5 abv. So I could drink more of this delicious nectar in one sitting. Cheers beer lovers. It's a great day to be an American!!!!

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Smells very fresh, flowery and fruity. Great frothy head. Taste leans towards the bitter side, which is no surprise considering the style. Notes that make me think mostly of citrus rind, maybe some mild pine and sweetness.
Served in a tulip

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

This is almost a prefect beer, prefect balance of hops and malt, clean and refreshing, a little on the thin side in mouth feel, but other then that, Perfect

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

one finger frothy white head, copper body, carbonation - looks like an ipa. smells sweet, citrus, vague sourness, not too prominent but not bad. substantial malt presence at first, hop is only noticeable for what it holds back. mouthfeel is carbonated, full bodied, slightly watery though not in a bad way I suppose. the hops are definitely being used to keep this malty beer taut and relatively balanced. finish begins with a very bright hop note, then resolves into a mellow aftertaste.

I had it on tap the other night and I remembered it being more sweet and malty than what I was looking for at the time. drinking it now (90 degrees, nyc, unexpected downpour) I don't know whether I was any more perceptive of what was in this beer, but I'm enjoying it more in any event.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

This beer has all the makings of a go-to beer. It goes well with a meal or if you're just sitting around a campfire. The availability here in Indiana makes it an easy beer to buy. The flavor is hoppy yet with the right amount of citrus which makes it very drinkable. Just be careful because the ABV can sneak up on you! You can't go wrong with a Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

3.86/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Dark gold color with thick head and heavy lacing
Smell: strong vegetable and fruit
Taste: sweet with strong bitter aftertaste that lingers.
Feel: good feel with moderate carbonation.
Sweet with strong hop taste. Not my favorite style of beer but gets better with each glass.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured a hazy medium amber coolor with a snow white lingering head. Heavy lacing. Aroma was a light floral hops with a hint of malt. Sweet very light malt upfront with a pronounced hop bite on the end. Medium body with moderate carbonation. Overall, an ok beer. I would not buy again as it is mire hoppy than what I prefer.

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into a nonic pint glass.

Look: Semi-clear burnt orange colored body under a frothy sea foam head that doesn't recede much and leaves thick bands and patches of lacing.

Aroma: Good malt presence, notes of sweet caramel up front followed by cedar and spicy hops.

Taste: Malty up front that gets covered in grapefruit rind bitterness with a spicy finish.

Mouthfeel: Thick, syrupy.

Overall: I guess I was expecting more. A good beer either way but somewhat underwhelming because of my expectations.

3.99/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date 5-23-16, I think.

APPEARANCE: pours a copper color with suspended bits floating about, one-finger white head that slowly dissipated until a thin, unbroken layer of small bubbles remained, lighter carbonation, significant lacing on the glass.

SMELL: bread, brown sugar, tropical fruit like pineapple and grapefruit, there is a pine note as well.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet then pineapple/grapefruit and some pine, this is a very balanced IPA, definitely more malt forward than most.

PALATE: medium body and lighter carbonation.

OVERALL: this is a very balanced IPA, I enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone who enjoys the style, I would buy this again no problem.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

Appear : Reddish, transparent. - 4/5
Aroma : Big citrus, a little bit of tropical fruits and malty sweetness. - 8/10
Mouthfeel : High carbonation, medium body - 4/5
Flavor : Dry, bitter, hop aroma in mouth, very solid - 7/10
Overall : Nothing outstanding, classic but very well balanced and drinkable. Love it. - 14/20

4.94/5  rDev +16%

I have had a lot of beers in my young life. This is my go-to beer. The first time I tasted it, I wept. The only reason I didn't give this a perfect 5 is because I have to hold on hope that one day I will try a beer that is better than this.

Edit: Also, I know a guy that knows a guy that knows the brewmaster at Bell's. He told me there are as much hops in 1 pint of Two-Hearted as there are in 7 and a half cases of Budweiser.

It is difficult to guess the style of this beer. As a short definition I would say: something slightly better than an industrial lager. Basically it is an "adult-oriented beer". It has no punch, no stridency, no loudness, it is for people who couldn't endure a real IPA. It is an industrial lager without defects, but It lack any possible kind of interest.

3.89/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Beautiful Gold/Copper frosted tone that is barely see-through. Long Lasting cream colored head with a buttery consistency.
Smell: Sweet and fruity with notes of lemon-lime, grape juice, pineapple and cane sugar. Barely any malt character. Fairly one-note.
Taste: Pretty balanced for an IPA. It is actually conservative on the fruity character with some grapefruit and grape notes, but it is bold on the hops and malts.
Feel: acidic punch with a wonderful full-bodied feel and nice mouth-coating, malty finish. For the strangest reason it reminded me of eating some excellent, moist cornbread.

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and this could be my highest rating this far. It was hoppy, as with most IPA style beers, but incredibly smooth. The aftertaste almost seemed malty in some way. The carbonation wasn't too strong - well-balanced. Good down to the last drop. I'd definitely get this one again.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy, dark orange with a thin white head.
S: Very tropical, pineapple, grapefruit notes. Some sweet sugar and bready aromas as well.
T: Similar to the nose. Tropical notes seem to resonate throughout the sip. Bitter grapefruit like aftertaste.
M: Medium carbonation, slight bitterness with a dry, hoppy finish.
O: Very good! I finally was able to pick up a 6 pack when I went through NY. I'll definitely buy more in the future. Reminds me a bit of "Sculpin", but with a better price tag ($11/6).

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very good ipa! I had heard this was good and finally bought a four pack of pints. Drank from the can like an American. This a a very hoppy first taste but finishes very softly with at topical aftertaste. Really good ipa and I am glad it's readily available to me. I wish the alcohol % was a little higher but a very solid brew that I will be purchasing again.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Glad to find some Bell's in the South. I've heard of this beer and was eager to give it a try. It's an opaque amber-orange, with an small off white head that laces mildly. On the nose, I catch mango and pineapple, or perhaps some other tropical fruits, as well as a buttery, toasted malt character that's subtle, but balancing in it's effect. The taste follows. It's light and refreshing with some floral and tropical notes, followed by some residual piny-ness that ends in a dry, malty finish. Medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. A superbly balanced and flavorful IPA. Quite possibly the best I've had so far.

Look: Orange Gold, white head
Smell: apricot, grapefuit, oranges
Taste: citrus, floral, caramel, perfectly balanced hops and malts
Feel: refreshing and perfect
Overall: best readily available IPA in existence

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a shaker glass. Color was a dark amber to almost a light brown. White foamy head, about a finger thick. Strong smell of citrus and pine followed by a little bread. Taste is citrusy, leaning towards grapefruit, following into a bit of pine, and then finishes with a bready flavor. A little bit of malt to balance out the hops. Feel is light, not quite a medium bodied beer, floats about the mouth. Finishes quickly and cleanly, a little lingering pine flavor that is kind of nice actually. While I wouldn't have this as a regular drinker for me it's certainly a pleasant beer that I wouldn't mind picking up from time to time.

4.61/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz

Pours a mostly clear amber gold, white head retains as a film.

Smells of caramel and biscuit malt with fresh grapefruit and pine hops.

Tastes of biscuit malts, honey, grapefruit, pine resin, and fresh fruity hops.

Medium to full body with tingly carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

Been drinking this for years and only just realized I'd never reviewed it. Top notch IPA, lots of love about this. Great aroma, great flavor, great body. The balance is perfect, everything is pronounced but nothing is overwhelming. One of the best IPAs you can get.

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer is very good poured from a can to a glass. Has a good taste I don't see the problem with the taste of hops disappearing. It keeps me interested great beer will buy again.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Excellent aroma and beautiful in a glass. The taste fades a bit as it warms towards the bottom of a pint glass, but this is a great beer that I'll drink regularly.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Have had this beer hundreds of times and when fresh (which unfortunately isn't always the case) it is one of the better IPAs out there. Not incredibly hop forward like a lot of new IPAs, but very well balanced and a joy to drink.

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle. Deep golden orange, thick white head fades very slowly, rings of lace. Big tangerine peel and floral aroma, wow. Tastes like it smells but with a solid malt backbone. Such a clean tasting brew with a mineraly quality. Medium soft mouthfeel with crisp zesty grapefruit peel finish. First time I've had this one in a while. So glad Bells is here now in NOLA.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.