Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

#621

Ratings: 14,420 |  Reviews: 3,590

3.93/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Well, what do you know. It happens to be my 500th review on BA, and Larry Bell finally broke his promise to never distribute to us up here in the northeast. I've never had this purported American classic before, and it must be fresh (since Bell's appeared here in NYC in the last week or so--actually, I see it's bottled 1/23/14, drinking on 2/12/14). Poured into a red wine glass.

Appearance: Free pour yields a frothy, longlasting one inch head that leaves a solid wall of lacing. Pours a clear orange/gold.

Smell: Floral and citrusy, some hard water aroma as well. Restrained but nice. Building orange note.

Taste: Up front, nice and piny like what used to pass for a big IPA (I like). Smoothly transitions into crystal malt sweetness, lightly sugared tropical and citrus fruit flavor, with a decently crisp and dry finish. Bit of a mineral-y undercurrent to everything, also slightly watery, both elements actually serving the beer well. As in the nose, once the orange note takes root, it builds and becomes a prominent (if not the major) flavor.

Pretty straighforward, with outstanding balance and ample complexity. I'm not really blown away by any one element, but everything works great together. Deservedly considered a classic in my opinion. Also, notably well hidden alcohol. There's a bit of heat at the end, but I would believe almost 4% or at most 5%; would never guess 7%.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Smooth crystal malt fullness in the middle with a nice dry finish. A little watery as mentioned above, but it's actually a good thing.

Overall: Great beer. Not necessarily the beer I want to slam, but very very well done.

Sadly, I'm more "understanding why people love it" than I am "loving it." I think it's mainly the crystal malt with the Centennial single hop... I need some real bitter or dank punch to forgive this much noticeable crystal malt in an IPA (and it probably has to have even more alcohol bite; I want my low ABV pale ales bone dry with no crystal). The website mentions Bell's house yeast being a major contributor, and I must say that it's very nice (fruity esters and good attenuation).

All told it's a very good beer, worthy of its reputation.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

4.21/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This IPA I would like to place in a seperate category that will go under "Everyday IPA's." Its not so in your face in any aspect and therefore, I could literally drink it every day, As opposed to hopslam where I would only like to drink 1 or 2 because of the intensity. This IPA is piney and has light citrus notes, it is so easily drinkable because of the great balance. It pours an outstanding color that I would like more IPA's to look like. Great brew.

Cheers!

Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.5/5  rDev -18%

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 4.27 out of 5 with 14,420 ratings