Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,464 | Ratings: 13,920
4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

I've been meaning to re-review Bell's Two Hearted Ale ever since I had the bottle that led to my first review because I was convinced that it had seen better days. I bought an uber fresh sixer on my recent trip to Ohio and have worked my way through it over the past few weeks. Since I've been more impressed with each passing bottle, this last one should be otherworldly. Damn, I knew I should have bought more than six.

Ripe apricot-amber with an all-encompassing cloud of fine particulates. The ivory colored cap contains the barest blush of pale orange and is a thing of beauty. Milkshake creamythick and hop resin sticky, it leaves buttery thick sheets of minutely pocked lace on the glass that will, no doubt, have to be removed with gallons of scalding water.

Ah... the intoxicating aroma of fresh Centennial hops! As I drank the other bottles, I debated the gloriousness of Two Hearted's nose. At this moment in time, however, I can't imagine a better smelling IPA. The insanely bright, incandescent, pungent, grapefruit juicy hops cement the notion in my mind that every member of the 4-Cs, whether used alone or in combination, and if used skillfully, are the best beer hops in the world, hands down.

I know what this beer tastes like with some age on it and now I know what it tastes like fresh. It has barely passed the 4-week mark from the time of bottling to my mouth... and it tastes like it. A more than solid backbone of buttery soft, teasingly sweet pale malt greets my every sip and is still very nearly annihilated by a hop explosion that is so fresh and so immediate that it makes me want to weep.

This is one of the best examples of a 'candied white grapefruit sections' IPA that I can think of. Spruce makes a welcome contribution, but nothing else gets in the way of the grapefruit love. If I had to think of one word to describe this beer, that word would be 'beautiful'. I'm not talking about the appearance, although it looks great, but about the entire experience. Two Hearted tastes so perfectly balanced, so deliciously hoppy, so... sublime, that beautiful is the only word that truly fits.

The mouthfeel is a smidgen lighter than I'd like, but that's such obvious nitpicking that I'm embarrassed to type it. It's supremely smooth and silky, making the drinking as natural as breathing. An absolutely perfect amount of carbonation doesn't hurt what is, quite simply, mouth candy.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale is a world-class IPA, period. In fact, I'm considering an e-mail assault on the talented Mr. Bell until he decides to extend his distribution area this far west. If I had this fine ale within easy reach, it would have a permanent place in my beer fridge. With regular consumption, say a sixer every week, I'd probably begin to tire of it in... oh, about 2035.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper body with a large, foamy white head.

Smell: Pale malt aroma with notes of flowers, zesty citrus, and cooked pineapple rings.

Taste: Pale maltiness with a light touch of caramel sweetness. Fruity, even juicy citrus and pineapple flavors. Moderate bitterness and acidity. Crisp, relatively clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A fine example of an IPA!

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

A big “thank you” to BlackAngus for sending me this one in a trade.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold with a foamy, off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: Heavy aroma of hops & citrus (orange, grapefruit & tangerine mostly), very pleasant.

T: Excellently balanced combination of hops bitterness and sweet citrus malt flavors. The two flavors don’t battle each other as they do in some beers; rather they blend together even into the after taste.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation and a very clean finish.

D: This beer is very tasty, goes down very easily, doesn’t fill you much and is one of those beers where each sip makes you crave the next more and more.

To put it simply, this is one of the best beers I’ve ever had.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

First had: on tap at Eulogy, Philly, PA

Pours a hazy, light, golden color, with a nice white head that leaves ample lacing. Strong nose of citrusy hops and a touch of pine. Taste is citrus, pineapple, tones of earth and grassiness. Hoppy bite, but crisp and smooth. Light-medium body, crisp and perfectly carbonated. Extremely drinkable, and I'd recommend even to people that don't care for IPAs. One of the first beers that really started getting me more into the craft scene.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Thanks to JohnnyM2002 for my first two-hearted

Pours a merky amber color with a nice 1 finger frothy head that was slow to disappear, this just looks yummy. Smell is knock your socks off!! Citrusy hops all the way, unreal smell, orange and grapefruit in there. Taste is loaded down with citrus, with a fantastic dry hoppy finish. A bit of a grassy, pine taste, but one of the most citrus favored hops I have ever tasted. Went down ohh soo smooth, just right carbonation. This is so a keeper, cannot wait to get my hands on some more of this. Just awesome, really awesome brew.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

I picked this up at Al's of Hampden as part of a mix a six. poured chilled into a willybecker and allowed to gradually warm.

A slightly hazed golden peach color with monstrous ecru cap w/ light beige accent. The head measures over an inch high and haze is not too much that you can't see some carbonation in the liquid. The bead is average sized and head looks 'whipped' up. The lace sticks like glue and retention is very good. I really like the mild citrus and herbal aroma w/ mild grassiness. There is some lemony/orange aspects w/ lots of yeast esters and some floral hop notes. The feel is moderately bitter up front w/ mild astringency and mellow acidity for the style which is nice w/ moderate carbonation level and semi spicy, semi-dry overall feel with a subtle sweetness and light chalky vegetal tinge in the finish-could be from bottle conditioning.

The taste has lots of hop flavor w/out pushing the bitterness too far forward. The taste has nice herbal hops and mild citrus and spice. There is a light tropical element and mild toasted malt in the flavor w/ hints of pear and light lime accent into to the finish. This is a great IPA, not a 'hop assault' on the palate, but just pleasant honest to goodness drinkable IPA from Bell's. I consider this a top notch example of the style as far as drinkability goes -a go-to beer for me.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Another round of thanks go out to cvaypai for this one. Craig once again hooking it up with the Midwest's finest.

A: It pours a hazy burnt orange color with a small white head. Some sticky looking lacing as I drink this one.

S: The aroma really blew me away. Loads of citrus hop aroma, sweet tropical fruits, and not much malt--very nice.

T: The taste is very similar to the aroma. A great grapefruit and orange flavor, along with sweet pineapple. The finish is nice and piney, giving a bitterness to balance out the fruit.

M: The beer is medium bodied and has moderate carbonation.

D: I can see why people go nuts over this beer. Such a solid IPA, much more similar to the California IPAs than most other Midwest and East Coast offerings.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Mad props to BARLEYWINEO for this one!

Pours an ever-so slightlty hazed amber with 4+ fingers of fluffed up eggshel white head. Very good head retention & good lacing

S: Big time citrus & piney hops, plus some breadyness

T: Big-time breadyness & grapefruitty hops up front. More grapefruit & orangey hops as this warms. Nice breadyness, with a hint of brown, sugar, booze & loads of citrussy & piney/resiny hops, yummy!!

MF: Rich, chewy medium-bodied with perfrect balance

Super AIPA, too drinkable, this is one that lives up to the hype IMO. I like my IPAs to have malt to back up the hops & this one comes through with flying colors!

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date to be found. Thanks to sakaroo for the sample.

Appearance: Overly foamy to being with, nice densely rocky head with a patch lace. Slightly hazy in the golden hue.

Smell: Big aroma of floral and citric hop, lots of hops. Faintly ester with a blanket of fruitiness.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Moderate body, smooth crispness and a touch of creaminess in the back. Light pale malt and yeast give a doughy biscuity flavour throughout. The hop character is strong with a semi-sharp bitterness and a long lingering citric toned flavour. Bitter dry finish.

Notes: A super hoppy brew with a puckering dryness that I would only put up against the sharpest of cheddars. A hop heads delight without a doubt.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottled on 2/10/2012

A: Pours a very lightly hazy golden orange in color with some extremely light visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall beige head that reduces to a thin layer over the entire surface of the beer with some much thicker patches and a very thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant lacing is observed.

S: There is a definite dominant presence of hops in the smell - I get both citrus/grapefruit as well as some floral hops. The aroma is bright but not overly intense, making it very approachable. There is also some underlying malty sweetness (I'm thinking it is more caramel like than anything else).

T: The flavor is similar to the smell but the balance between the malty sweetness and the hoppiness is even better. There is a definitely caramel malt sweetness upfront. The hops and the bitterness follow that but the bitterness is mild and not a palate destroyer. I can taste both the citrus/grapefruit as well as the floral hops with the grapefruit flavor being just a little stronger.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly crisp and very refreshing.

O: Extremely easy to drink and definitely a top American IPA - this beer is just delicious and has a great flavor and aroma. The beer has a very inviting aroma and is quite approachable even to people that are not huge IPA fans (like my wife). This beer is definitely sessionable and one that I really enjoy. I would definitely get this one again (too bad it is not distributed locally to me).

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a pint glass at Paradiso.

I've had this a number of times, but never on cask. Let's do it to it. It pours a hazy orange amber topped by nearly a finger of thick creamy foam. The nose is dominated by the hops (mostly citrus with some pine thrown in for variety's sake), though a current of sweet caramel jets through like the EAC. The taste is very similar, though the balance is much better. Both camps respect each other for their ferocity and professionalism. Damn, does it make for one tasty battle. The body is a light medium, with no real carbonation involved and a severely smooth and creamy feel. This is insanely good on cask, even better than in bottles. Get some!

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Served on-tap at Al's of Hampden into a standard pint.

A - Pours clear golden orange with a small half finger tall white head, dissipating down to a light film, leaving thin sheets of lacing down the glass.

S - Plenty of piney hops up front mix well with a bit of sweet caramel malt and some fresh tropical fruits. Good overall balance of hops and other flavors. A classic and still one of the best.

T - A nice mix of piney and citric hops up front that last thruout the finish. Sweet caramel malt, grapefruit and other citric fruits, and a touch of bready yeast. Finish is quite bitter, lingering for some time. Good overall balance yet still plenty hoppy. Easily one of the best widely available beers out there, regardless of style.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Nice light feel, a bit dry, with lots of lingering bitterness in the finish.

D - I could drink this every day. One of the easiest drinking IPA's on the market. My go to beer when good beer is in short supply.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a bottle into a DFH snifter glass

A: Pours a slightly hazy gold color. Small head with patchy lacing down the sides.

S: Lots of citrus and pine with some grapefruit and other fruits in the background. Also a little bit of grass in there as well.

T: Matches pretty well to the nose. The hop/citrus flavor hits you upfront and a really nice malt finish. The hop flavor is really nice with the grapefruit and grass coming through, but it isn't overpowering and is balanced well with the malt leaving a slightly dry, but not overly bitter finish.

M/D: Medium bodied, but very smooth and creamy at the back end. The 7.1% is nonexistent and this beer goes down nice and easy. I only wish I could get more of it.

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Modest head, but it leaves a near blanket of lace on the glass. The liquid is cloudy with an orange hued dirty copper color.

Very mild smell for the style. Pale grain nose is stronger than the floral hop. Well balanced but meek.

The hop is fresh tasting, providing a black pepper finish. Starts with a clean "round" pale malted barley flavor. Only a touch of sweetness. Full bodied and a below average level of carbonation. Good counterpoint to hot wings.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a perfect pint glass. Pours golden yellow color with a bubbly white head. Very good head retention and lacing.

Aroma is very floral and citrusy. Taste is citrusy up front with some pine and a nice long bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is moderate.

Drinkability is excellent. This is a beer that I buy frequently, it's a great beer to take to parties or to have when you want a few. I consider this my go to IPA that I have readily available to me.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Poured an orangish/amber color with 2 fingers of white foam and moderate carbonation. Great retention.

s - Smells of hops and sweet malts. A tiny bit of citrus as well. I was actually surprised by the balance; I was expecting a lot more hops and a lot less sweetness.

t - Again, tastes strongly of hops with a little bit of bitterness, followed by sweet malts. I was again surprised how balanced it was and how much the sweet malts stood out.

m -Medium body with moderate carbonation, it has both a bit of a bitterness to it, followed by smoothness from the malts. Very nice.

d - Very nice and balanced. The hops didn't stand out as much as I thought they would, but the balance and smoothness from the malts was a pleasant surprise. Great taste and easy to drink, I'll surely be trying this again.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Is simply amazing glowing orange amber tone with an off white massive off white tinted orange cream color head that rises well above the rim of the glass holding together very nicely lacing is thick evenly spread wow what a great appearance, just absolutely perfect. Aroma: Piney with an edge of sweet peach juice malted like an extract form the hops hold dominance on all other competitive components, but citrus orange peel and flower cascades all come to play at this hop gathering. Even after getting the bottle as empty as I could, I smelled inside the bottle to be greated with a robust rush of hops, now that's what I call hop aroma. Flavor: Simply crisp bitterness blended with a malt backbone not as syrupy sweet compared to the likes of a barley wine esque Double IPA but this one holds it's ground as being one of the best IPAs I have ever tasted. Such a good IPA wish I had this one at my disposal, because this is a buy by the case beer all the way. The layers of different hops that harmonize here is uncanny I can literally pick out seperate hop components earthy tones, pine cone like, flowery, citrus zest it's all here this beer is amazing. Mouthfeel: Carbonation solid all the way through body is medium to light I wish there was just a tad more texture my only complaint. Drinkability: Dead on as can be yearning for a bigger supply than just one bottle I am really enjoying this beer it is christening the gameday as my first beer for the final meeting of the West Virginia Mountaineers and the Virginia Tech Hokies, go 'eers!!!

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

I have had this beer many times over the years, and am quite overdue to write a review.

The appearance is clear and light orange hued. The head stands in at around an inch thick, displays lasting retention and leaving ample lacing on the pint glass. The aroma is not particularly grand, but is pleasant nonetheless. Scents include malt, floral notes, light pine. The flavor is tasty, and though the beer is primarily hop forward, it definitely has a strong malt backbone. This is a good example of what I would consider a "balanced" IPA. Though I prefer beers of this ilk to be lighter on the palate and more hop forward with a pronounced citrus component, there is no denying that Bell's Two Hearted Ale is a tasty brew. Additionally, I think this beer, like many IPAs, is a notch better on draft versus the bottle.

Ha! I got it wrong, initially. Those 5L mini-kegs actually qualify as CANs as long as they are unpressurized. It's okay, since I have had Two Hearted Ale in a number of forms, including bottle and cask, also, but now it is truly in a 16-oz. CAN. I scored it at Pinocchio's (@pinbeer) and I am excited to give it a whirl. The graphics are phenomenal and the name is an allusion to a Hemingway story, doubling my interest.

From the CAN: "An Ameri[CAN] India Pale Ale with intense hop aroma and malt balance. Well suited for adventurous trips anywhere."; "Unfilterered"; "Best Kept Refrigerated"; "Unpasteurized".

Man, was the Crack! loud! I immediately got an inverted Glug started, allowing the fish plenty of slack on the line to run. The pseudo-cascade quickly settled into two fingers of dense, tawny head with excellent retention in the face of tonight's humidity. Color was a hazy golden-yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7) and my old pals Croesus, Mammon and Midas suddenly appeared, clamoring for a taste. Forget it! This is all for me. The nose was big with hops, giving off scents of pine, grapefruit, pineapple and as a previous reviewer mentioned, lilac or lavender in a lightly perfume-y way. As I was typing, the head began to drop, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops were immediate and unrelenting on the tongue, but underlain with a sweet maltiness so as not to be overwhelming. Jesus, but this was tasty! The fact that it is now available in a more portable form of CAN really excites me. The finish was semi-dry, with the malt really achieving a good balance with the hops so that they do not become overwhelming. This deserves a place in anyone's cooler, no matter what their destination.

My original, on-tap, review dtd 02 June 2008 with all 5s follows:

A mini-keg counts as "on-tap", does it not? If not, this will either get removed or moved to a more appropriate type.

The pour produced a big, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention. The nose had a great hoppy presence. The color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow. The mouthfeel was medium with a definite hop bite on the palate. The finish lingered with hops. There was great lacing produced throughout. This is unquestionably one of my favorite American IPAs of all time.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a pretty foggy amber with a decent off white head. I could get a good whiff of this one even before I had poured it out of the bottle. Nose is perfumed pine hops. Flavor is a mouthful of hops that stays consistent. Thick hop flavors just stay with you. Feel has a good carbonation to it and a the liquid is pretty good as well. Overall this is a very good IPA. Definitely one for the hop heads.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Review from notes taken on 3/10/11. On tap at Als of Hampden served in a nonic. This brew appears a hazed golden orange color with a thin ring of white around the edges of the glass. Bubbles constantly rise to the surface maintaining a thin lacing atop the brew.

The aroma is citrus hop goodness like orange rind, zest, flowers and grass. It is a very bright and enjoyable aroma displaying a depth of pleasant hop characteristics.

The taste is rindy and bitter with citrus hops that are backed by a bit of a toasty caramel malt sweetness that is a good contrast to the hoppiness. The hops are quite citrusy and grassy with a pleasant warming effect from the alcohol. It finishes sharp and bitey from a combination of the abv and hops.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is easy drinking and enjoyable. Quite crisp and refreshing this is always a standby brew that is enjoyable on nearly any occasion.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Very slightly hazy deep golden body with a small head. Nice lacing, though.

Smell - Not a huge hop aroma, really. A bit of a musty smell behind some citrus hops, followed up by a slightly sweetness.

Taste - The hops are way more prevalent here. Good balance of pine and citrus that ends with a flowery sweetness. The malt backbone is just enough to balance it, without coming off as sweet. A strong bitterness finishes it off, but it isn't too much to be unpleasant.

Mouthfeel - Easy-drinking, although on the heavy side for a single IPA. This bridges the gap to DIPA, I'd say. A bit more an it would be a DIPA.

Overall - One of two go-to IPAs in my area. Sculpin beats it out, though. If the aroma were better on this one, it would delicious.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle dated June 10, 2011. Poured on July 18, 2011. I try to review IPAs when they're less than a month old so next time I have this fresher I may come back and edit this review.

Pours a hazy caramel golden yellow. I don't know if this color is inherently this attractive or I've just come to find it attractive because it's what most of my favorite IPAs look like, but I get excited when I see it. Huge head to start with, which fades to a merely good sized head which sticks around forever. The head is white like compacted snow and matches the color of the beer perfectly.

Smells gooood. Orange, lemon, pine, maybe even bananas. Lots of hops, lots of citrus.

Taste follows the nose with tons of citrus and a good bit of pine as well. There's a nice sweet malt backbone which lets all the great hop flavors run wild without being abrasive or ruining the beer's drinkability.

Mouthfeel is great, very smooth and creamy but with awesome carbonation.

This beer is my go to IPA when I can get it. It's the standard by which I judge other IPAs. If it's not my very favorite, it's at least in the top few. I feel like I've enjoyed past bottles even a little more than I'm enjoying this one, but I've never been disappointed with it. Just an awesome beer.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours hazed amber/yellow with a one-finger, creamy white head that slowly descends to a lasting thin cover. Broken rings of lacing stick to glass.

The smell is floral, piney, citric/tropical fruity. Robust aroma.

The taste is floral, piney, citric bitterness upfront. Malty sweetness in the back holds the hops together. As it warms, it becomes more resiny. Slight touch of peppery alcohol in the long finish.

Chewy, creamy, rich body. Hoppiness lingers.

A hop-head delight here! Wish it were available in my area. Thanks to dekker0 for this hop treat!

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

12 oz bottle received in a trade with Jay23 Thanks for the opportunity.

Pours a slightly cloudy amber color with a fluffy white head that leaves lots of lacing as it drinks. Aroma is all hops. Spicey, piney, grapefruity hops in all their glory. Taste is more hops with a little malt struggling to get through. Medium mouthfeel and ample carbonation round this brew out well. Pretty good IPA. I couldn't drink to many of these, but nice brew just the same.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.