Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,475 | Ratings: 13,961
4.48/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The beer is a lovely amber/honey color with a vigorous creamy head that leaves a delicate lace on the glass as it recedes. The smell is piney citrus with and underlying sweetness. The taste is satisfyingly complex with layers of hoppy goodness supported by a perfectly subtle malty foundation underneath. The mouthfeel is clean and refreshing...a lovely ipa.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

This one is courtesy of tayner, probably the most generous lady in the history of ever.

Pours from the bottle clear and golden, with a small, bubbly head. Aroma is mild but fragrant hops, more floral and grassy that citrusy. There's also a lot of malt there, honey, fresh bread, and a hint of lemon juice. Taste is soft, mild, but dominant bitterness, backed by some very flavorful malt that tastes almost like pancakes or waffles. Nice tea-like flavor around the edges. Mouthfeel is balanced, carbonation not-quite-prickly, more viscous than most IPA's, but the strong bitterness in the finish keeps it to style.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to Weizenbob for this one. Appreciate it very much.

A dark dark amber. Translucent barley see through it.

S wow hops are right in your face. A sweet hop aroma and floral scents.

T for the amount of hops in this, I got a nice crisp bitter taste rather than the overpowering hops I taste in other IPAs

M thick as a brick. I love this stuff

O overall I am so glad i have these. I need to trade for some more for sure.

3.42/5  rDev -19.7%

Got on-tap at Blue Door Pub

Visual: Gold in color, no head, minimal lacing.

Aroma: Was hard for me to get a good smell, not sure if it was the beer or the atmosphere, but I picked up bits of lemon and toasted malt.

Taste: Nuts, earth, grass, and lemon rind. Hops finish dry in yo mouth.

Mouth: Average, medium body, normal carbonation for an ipa.

Drunkability: Wouldn't have a problem tipping a few of these back but it would not be my first choice for an ipa. The taste is missing something, just a bit too dull maybe.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer envy. I'll explain shortly.

Two Hearted is top of the Bell's class, and a clear stand out in its product line. If you're fond of the Midwest APA's then you will have a heart for this brew. 2H is caries an IPA designation but its character is more APA, and here's why:

The appearance is a golden coper ale, with small carbonation bubbles, a generous foamy head which leaves a creamy top.

A distinct but not overpowering citrus and floral smell.

Distinct lemony finish with citrus, and it has a crisp dry finish to the palette. Easy to drink a couple of these.

Now, back to beer envy. This is the first pack of 2H that I've had yet its been stocked on the shelves at some local stores for some time. With the popularity of other Midwest standouts such as Burning River & Daisy Cutter, beauty from Bell's holds its own.

This beer was pleasant. A nice first impression along with a nice after taste. I was not in the least bit disappointed. This lives up to my expectation of an IPA just fine to date. Definitely give Two Hearted Ale a taste. I think beers like this among many others are starting to convince me I'ma big fan of IPAs.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottle to Glass

Bottle a little over two weeks old

Appearance - Poured a hazy copper/orange colour with a nice two fingers of white head

Smell - Typical IPA smell, mango, grapefruit, and a fair amount of orange

Taste - Similar to the smell tropical fruits with orange, nice bitter finish

Overall - A well made IPA, glad I picked up a six pack

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Hadn't had this in a while and wanted to try it again. Picked up a 6 pack 10 days old and it didn't disappoint. Was pleased to see beer that fresh from a brewer so far north of me. Will add this in the rotation for sure!

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a dusty amber, slightly hazy with a rocky slightly off-white head. The lacings got Jackson Pollack all over it, gorgeous all the way down. Decent head retention as well.
Decept hop aroma, citrus and passionfruit. Its strong, but not overpowering.
The first thing that hit me when tasting was the bready malt character, but then the hops slammed in. The hops are not overkill at all, and the malt balances nicely. After drinking a lot of west coast hop bombs, this brew is more restrained in the hop department, but it is no slouch either. The bready character is balanced with a citrusy grapefruit hop flavor with a clean bitterness in the end.
The mouthfeel is very carbonated and lively throughout. Fluffy and clean all the way through. I could drink these one after the other, its well balanced and not tastebud suicide like so many other IPAs. Strong flavor but definitely not too strong.
This was a damn good IPA, with a strong enough malt presence to keep the hops in check. Exceptionally crafted and highly drinkable. Toss me another feloniousmonk, thanks for the bottle!

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Be careful pouring this one and many (most/all?) of the Bell's. There's about 1/8 inch of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I always pour very slowly and stop when the sediment is about to leave the bottle - it definitley spoils the appearance and (IMO) the taste as well.

Other than that - I love this beer! The smell is very much IPA, but it has a very unusual taste. Almost too strong - right on the border between great and bizarre, which makes it interesting.

The mouthfeel is a bit harsh - acidic? I don't know - but that's why I reduced the drinkability too. Smell & taste keep me coming back. Sediment and mouthfeel give me pause.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from bottle into an American shaker. Pours a copper color with a nice head with good retention. A nice hoppy floral aroma that leads to a delicious balance of malty sweetness with an assertive bitterness. Nice coronation and mouthful and overall a really terrific beer.

3.75/5  rDev -12%

First of all ... American IPA? Taste wise that was o AIPA to me!

A - Nice color and pour from bottle left about 1" head on glass. Definately nice appearance

S - Smelled like an APA, very nice malty flavor

T - As already mentioned, more like a PA or APA. Smooth and balanced, but far from an IPA

D - Very smooth brew.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Simply one of my favorite IPA's fantastic, piney and light citrus notes excellent balance between hop bitterness and smooth crisp and clean malt finish! Great everyday IPA easy drinking, beautiful aroma, medium body, prefect color, everything I look for in an beer.

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I flippin love this beer. Aroma is soft citrus/floral notes, but also somehow briny and evocative to me of the seashore or (as more appropriate for Michigan) a day out on the lakes. The mouthfeel is rather full-bodied for an IPA. Carbonation is not noticeable. Very little bitterness/dryness--just a faint note from the hops. What is amazing here is the beautiful balance between the malts and hops, and the easy drinkability that somehow highly rewards every sip. And again, I find this beer highly evocative--really reminds me of laid-back days in the great, wild outdoors. One of my favorite IPAs.

4.66/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bell's Two Hearted Ale

L: Medium amber, slightly cloudy.
S: Citrus rind, a little bready malt, some pine resin. Really nice.
T: Matches the aroma exactly but some sweetness from the malt sneaks through. Bitterness is evident but not harsh. Very well done.
F: Body is medium. Attenuated to the perfect FG. Substantial but not heavy. Dry finish but quenching. Each sip begs another.
O: This is not outrageous, over the top hoppy. It's most definitely hop forward though. The skill of the brewers is evident. This is the standard all IPA's should be compared to. The kicker for me is the little bit of malt sweetness that makes it through the layers of citrusy hops. Excellent stuff.

Bottled 2/9/2016

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

The label had a fish on the front, didn't look as pictured. I'm not one to be able to guess fish by looks, but I would guess it's a trout?

This poured a hazy amber into a nonick pint glass. The inch head was a creamy white (almost caramel colored) and it lasted a few minutes it is leaving heavy lacing.

The smell was of oats and yeast with a hint of apple.

The taste was a lively blend of hops and malt. a real heart warmer. Compared to the other IPAs I have had, the hops are more subdued. It was very enjoyable - I feel like I drank a good bitter. I would drink this again - in a heartbeat. - no pun intended

4.89/5  rDev +14.8%

One of the best IPA's I have ever had.
It has a semi transparent orange color with a nice creamy tan head, that goes away quickly. The smell and taste however, are wonderful. I just kept smelling it over and over until one of fiends told me to finally taste it. The smell was compromised mostly of sweet spices, orange peel, coriander, and hints of hops. The taste was spicy, a good blend of hops and fruity tones. A perfect amount of carbonation and alcohol (which isn’t very noticeable) make this brew easily drinkable.
Wish I had more and will definitely purchase more in the future. Highly recommend this one to the IPA fans!

4.11/5  rDev -3.5%

Dated 6/10/11,

The bottle says "incredible floral hop aroma" and it's not lying! Just cracking the cap releases an immense bouquet of flowery fruit scents, like banana, pineapple and apple. Pouring it into the glass allows for that pineapple note to really come into focus. I don't detect any grain, grass, oat or other typical scent.

Pours cloudy, but clarifies into a mostly translucent hard amber-- by which I mean the amber that entombs certain prehistoric insects. An ivory, two finger head is produced that leaves no sticky lacing.

Lightly carbonated.

The fruitiness and sweetness are incredibly prominent, and I really have a hard time believing this is an IPA-- but that IPA bitterness is very much there at the end, and provides an interesting and welcome contrast to the first flavors. The flavor system present in this beer is incredibly complex, and while it can easily be downed in a few gulps, it really must be savored to be truly appreciated.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours honey-amber and slightly hazy. The head is quite prominent and just off-white. It has the look of a standard IPA.

S: Wow. At first, I got a big whiff of extremely fresh floral hop aroma, followed by a potent mix of sweet melon and grapefruit. The smell is both powerful and well balanced.

T: The taste starts off crisp and fresh with a mouthful of hops. The most noticeable note is a strong fruity sweetness that reminds me of cantaloupe. The malt backbone ties the floral, bitter, sweet, and sour notes together nicely.

M: Almost oily, with a medium body and aggressive carbonation.

D: I don't have much to put this up against, but this is by far my favorite IPA. I usually don't appreciate the overwhelming bitterness that is associated with the style, but this beer is so well balanced that the bitterness becomes just another enjoyable quality. It's fairly strong at 7.1%, though the alcohol really isn't noticeable.

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%

Appears a bit cloudy, a mid golden color pours a nice head that slightly laces glass,

Smells of floral and citrusy hop

Taste, nice 2 row malt, citrus hop and floral hop tastes are exceptional, ends with nice bitterness,

Mouthfeel is light, nice carbonation

Overall this is a good IPA, definately for the hop heads

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

A = A very pretty amber IPA, long-lasting head with lacing.
S = True to the label, it is heady with hops!
T = For the IPA lover, this would be heaven; for me, too hoppy, but IPAs aren't a favorite. Leaves a floral, hoppy aftertaste on the tongue.
M = A slight bit creamy and not overly carbonated. Quite nice!

I am not an IPA lover by any means. In fact, I am allergic to the hops as my head stuffs up almost immediately after the first few sips of drinking an IPA. But, the label didn't identify itself as an IPA, only in the verbiage on the back label did I discover its pedigree. So, in fairness, I would have to say in this review that this is one of the better IPAs I've tasted, although I would have initially skipped it if I had known it was an IPA! Very cool artwork on the label, too.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Really really nice beer. Clear copper gold pour with a nice head that sticks around quite a while. Amazing lacing.

Smell is a balance between juicy hops and sweet malt. Little pine tingle back there somewhere.

Taste is much the same. Juicy fruity hops with some citrus and strong malt presence.

Long smooth finish, lingering bitterness. Really nice carbonation.

Overall, and very solid beer. Im starting to really jive on these eastern us ipas. You guys got it good over here.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

I thought I had found a goto favorite drinking IPA in 6 packs when I first tried it after drinking some draft brews at a beer place. My tongue palate must have been shot.

Don't get me wrong, it is just that Founders Centennial IPA became my go to 6-pack IPA a week later. Modern Times' City of the Sun, what I am drinking now, it better.

This beer is better than average, meaning better than Sierra Nevada. It's also better than a majority of west coast IPA's. So, this is good stuff. Slightly bitter, but decently balanced.

I will drink this again.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank this from a tap. Nice golden orange with a 1 inch cream head. Smelled mildly tropical. Taste was an explosion of tropical fruit with the predominance of mango. Sweetly spicy with a hop forward taste. It was easily drank with a cool and clean finish. Loved it.

4.26/5  rDev 0%

A very sessionable beer I'm happy to find on tap in several establishments down here.

Pour is a beautiful orange with excellent lacing as I drain the glass.

Nice aroma of piney hops that precedes the flavor that is more of the same, but is also very well balanced against a nice malt profile. Quite tasty.

Solid feel in the mouth with a lingering aftertaste. Finishes very clean.

Hides the 7% abv very well. It's easy to drink too many of these.

Easy recommendation.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.