Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,532 | Ratings: 14,189
3.68/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - amber with a slightly orange hue, white fine head and lasting lace. I received two bottles in two different trades, and the first was quite cloudy and had a sediment. I will score off the second bottle which looked and tasted better, but wonder if there is a some variation in package quality. The batch finder on Bell's website seems to be either not working or choking on these batch numbers.

S - citrus hops with some fruit in the background, but definitely hops are up front

T - strong hop flavor and distinctively bitter finish made to seem all the more assertive by the very dry finish. The malt sort of disappears at the end leaving a lingering bitterness to ride it out alone

M - moderate body, bitterness is sharp and tongue-coating which has a bit of an astringent quality

O - decent hop-forward American IPA

4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

A-The beer poured a hazy dark golden color. The thick, pillow-like head that capped the beer was an off white and lasted for almost the enitre duration of the drinking session.

S-For a supposed IPA I would have expected more hops in the aroma. My bottle might have been dated but it still smelled pretty good. There was a faint fruitiness (like marmalade or jelly) that was mixed with a more pronounced citrus/pine-like aroma. This ended with a hint of herbs or grassiness.

T-Initially, there was some fruit flavor and sweetness that transitioned into a more malty flavor but this changed over to the bitterness from the hops. While the IBU's in the beer weren't over the top, they did seem to balance the beer out well. There was a slight astringent flavor left after you swallowed along with a grassy herbal flavor from the hops.

M-My bottle had a low carbonation level and a light to medium body.

D-This was a good, balanced beer that lived up to some of the hype that has been put out about it. It is very drinkable due to it's lower body and low level of carbonation.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer really impressed me. I am not a hop-head and it's a style that up to recently I did'nt spend much time on, but I am exploring more now. I enter each one with caution. Pour is cloudy rosy orange, rocky head. Smell is great, floral and fruity, hops right. Taste and mouthfeel is smooth, light, nice hop presence with just the right amount of bitterness, fruity but not overly so. Overall this beer does'nt make my mouth pucker, and I would love to have had lots more, but only bought a single, will be looking forward to it coming to my state, I hope.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

A-- a sort of golden with hues of orange and amber clouds swirling(if you look for it)

S-- smells like a 'garden' full of hops and flowers. also a grassy smell on tip of nose

T-- beautifuly arousing to the tounge. split at 60/40 percent favoring the bitter side but is quite balanced and lingers. actually tastes better after every sip. alcohol is hiding very good behind the hops.

M-- very smooth and easy going. could almost chug this one if it didnt cost so much

D-- very easy and enjoyable beer to drink but also sneaks up on you as the alcohol is well hidden inside the hops

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

This is my first review, so bear with me.

12 oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a hazy, ruddy orange color, almost amber with a 1/2 inch head that dissipates after a few moments. Minor amount of lacing.

S: Lots o' citrus. kind of reminds me of the smell of orange juice that has been reduced, with a healthy amount of floral hops tossed in.

T: Much like the smell, some very nice hoppiness accented by the citrus sweetness and balanced out nicely with some earthy malt. Aftertaste is fantastic. Not too bitter, but defiantly a noticeable floral hops flavor that lingers for quite a while.

M: Pretty light in body, same with carbonation. I don't think this diminishes the beers quality though. Not as overwhelming as many of the IPAs I have had are. Has a nice crispness to it.

D: I could drink these just about anywhere at anytime, but particularly when I am eating something spicy.

I was never much of an IPA guy until I had this, and it is still my favorite. I would recommend it to anyone.

Two Hearted is the beer that converted me to good beer many years ago. It's hopped but not as aggressively as the more modern west coast ales. It's malty, but not as heavy as "balanced" IPAs such as 90 minute. It's very drinkable and remains a key player in my IPA conversion guide for Miller Lite drinkers...

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a large snifter, over some cribbage with Dad. Pours nice and hazy, honey or light amber in color. Nice airy head with great retention and light lacing.

The nose is very piney and green -- this will be a pretty loaded IPA, I'm assuming. In fact, I am little surprised it's not an Imperial/Double. Later, a citrus-like smell emerges... oranges. After a few sips, I am also sensing a bready sweetness in the aroma.

That malt sweetness hits you up front when sipping, but from there on, the hops dominate. The sweet flavors return a bit in the finish. While the hops really establish a presence, it is not overly bitter; this is a fairly smooth ride. There is some residual chalkiness from the massive hopping, but other than that the mouthfeel is pleasant.

I've loved this beer ever since Lisa C. brought it to a party of mine in Chicago about 5 years ago. So nice to revisit this time. It seemed much smoother than I remember, but I am guessing my hop-sensitivity has been dulled since then by infinite craft brew tasting sessions. So perhaps I should I add that this is indeed a hoppy beer -- buyer beware. Anyways, I hope my next pint of this isn't too far away. Here's to you, Lisa!

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Golden straw with small white head dissipates quickly.
S: Citrus, floral hops.
T: Huge hoppy flavor, with balanced bitterness. Pine cones, lemon.
M: Very refreshing, not too hoppy though. Very enjoyable. Light to medium sized body.
D: Awesome. Could have a couple easily. Great IPA

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Not to big into india pale ales but I must say this is probably going to be my go to in the pale ale category.

A: Looks very nice and talk about a good head... this thing makes for a damn good looking beer.

S: I get a strong smell of citrus to it, almost like smelling a grapefruit and some over sliced fruit off to the side.

T: Creamy texture good amount of hop bitter taste. Citrus add depth and complexity to the malt flavor. This drink has enough alcohol in it to give a little warmth but it could be missed.

M: As you continue to this drink it gets almost a silky smooth finish across your taste buds. I think this is what makes this beer for me.

D: Very very very drinkable... without a doubt my favorite IPA to date, looking to experiment more with IPA's now that this 6 pack has grown so much on me.

3.71/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from a bottle into my "Cheers" the TV show licensed mug.

it looks great! Light amber... a little cloudy. the best head i've seen in a while. creamy white that last for a while.

not a whole lot on the nose. a little pinesol... but not in a bad way.

the lemon hits me on the first sip. moving more into the rind and pine on the second... i guess that's the pinesol scent i got. there's a hint of smoke or toast. it moves through the citrus range and lands a bit more on a bitter orange as you get a bit more into it. lemony orange - maybe cumquat... with a bit of and iron aftertaste. a little dusty. they yeast starts tasting a little "rapid rise" as it goes on. not at all in a bad way. but a bit in a buddy gave me his homemade apple cider - made with rapid rise - kind of way.

i like it. i will buy it again. it reminds me of the regular lagunitas IPA - but a little milder - again, in a good way. but i won't show it off to someone i'm trying to impress as super dooper.

reading the bottle after my review i agree that this is well suited to an adventure to the UP. it might even be my first choice if making that trek. the iron aftertaste seems to taste like the stream water from that area. not at all a bad thing.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

L: Truly a beautiful beer. Deep, hazy golden orange/amber, with a large, 2-finger pillowy head that fully lasting and left plenty of lacing.

S: Crisp, with lots of spicy, floral, and earthy hops. Some grapefruit.

T: Very hop forward, but with just enough carmel malts to calm the bitterness. The hops follow the nose - floral, spicy, and a little bit earthy.

F: Crisp, soft, and medium bodied.

O: Delicious. Balanced, crisp - truly wonderful. Would recommend, and will be buying much, much more.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a nice golden yellow/amber color with a thick white head that sticks around and leaves a nice lace on the glass. You can count how many sips you have taken by the number of rings on the glass.

The aroma is very nice and complex, floral is the first thing that comes to mind, with a little citrus and pine. Even a little fruity, there is a lot going on here, it is best enjoyed in a glass such as a tulip that concentrates the aroma as you drink.

The taste is what all IPA's should taste like in my opinion. Crisp and lite but still complex, dry and hoppy on the finish. Smooth for an IPA. A beginner might shy away at first but a developed palate will really appreciate the complexity.

Very drinkable, smooth and goes down easy, high carbonation but it allows the flavor to come out.

One of my favorite beers from one of the mid-west's best breweries.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

This afternoon, my two sons and I dropped into Tyler's Taprooom in Durham, NC to have a pint before a Bulls baseball game (it doesn't get much better than this). My sons ordered their pints (root beers), and I ordered a Rogue Imperial IPA. The bartender pulled the tap, but it just spat some foam. She suggested that I try a Bell's Two Hearted Ale instead. I'd never had one, so I agreed. To be honest, I was expecting to be a little disappointed (it's hard to compete against a Rogue I2PA). Man, was I wrong!

Appearance: Poured a nice polished copper color, with a one finger, off-white colored head. The head diminished quickly, but didn't disappear altogether. It left some nice lacing at the top of the pint glass. Slight carbonation.

Smell: This was one of the most fragrant beers that I've ever experienced. It smelled like walking through a field of wild flowers, with citrus fruits and orange peel thrown in. Absolutely wonderful - this is how an IPA should smell.

Taste: No disappointment here either! Fresh grapefruit up front followed by an intense hoppy bitterness. The hoppy finish just went on and on. The only reason I didn't give it a five was because it lacked just a little malty sweetness to balance the bitterness. Awesome!

Mouthfeel: The slight carbonation made it very smooth.

Drinkability: Yes. May I have another please? Unfortunately, I only had time to have one, but I'll be back. Now I just have to find this in bottles. Fantastic stuff, excellent IPA.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Beautiful frothy white head floating above a slightly unfiltered goldish-apricot body.

S: Citrusy hops strike immediately. Smells almost sweet for an IPA.

T: Orange and apricot citrus on the initial taste with grassy notes hitting at the finish. Less bitter than I expected.

M: Mild bitterness, smooth down the pipe, and a light dryness on the tongue at the end.

D: Smooth, easy-drinking IPA that provides a nice, refreshing feel. Lack of bold flavors allow for multiple refills.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Upon the finish of pouring this beer, looking at the light copper tone of the body brings a warm inviting apearence. A thick foamy 2 finger head shows a light tan shade. This is all complimented upon the sweet aroma eminating from the glass. A burst of hops with a citrus (orange and lemon flavors come to mind) undertone come out full force from this beverage.

With tasting this fine Bell's beer my mouth is overwhelmed with the sweet flavor of hops. Coming out strong on the begining this is definetly a style of beer for people that want hoppiness in there beer. The malty taste comes out in the middle and at the end the bitterness hits, but does not leave a unpleasent after taste.

Leaving a pleasent feel in my mouth, with a tangy feeling brought on from the constant citrus flavors this is a beer that goes down so smooth but allows you to realize that you are drinking a beer, and not water. I personally am the biggest fan of the smell and taste but this is probably the standard that all IPAs should try and live up too.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Thanks bort11!

Appearance: Pours a deep orange with a smallish head.

Smell: Pine and citrus. Tons of citrus.

Taste: Pine hits you on the tongue immediately along with a hint of lemon. Balanced out very well with a nice malty background. The hops really come on at the back of the mouth. Beautifully bitter.

Mouthfeel: Smooooth. Crisp in the mouth with a dry finish. Great carbonation.

Drinkability: Just a great IPA. Tons of flavor, great balance. I could drink this all day.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Look poured a thick creamy offwhite head that slowly disapated. Color is a cloudy dark yellow with decent carbination. It has a great smell of citrisy hops. Taste starts out with a slight sweet malt base with a bit of citris hops. Then finishes with finishes with a wonderful refreshness of hops with reletivly low bitterness. Then ends with a bit of drying .Mouthfeel is decent, not overtly thick. Overall another good one from Bells.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Reviewed sometime last year forgot to put a date on the notes:

Poured into snifter gives a bright amber orange color that's mirky and hazy from all the little tiny remnants. Looks like beer sap or something lol. Lacing is intense leaving foam and particles uuuurrrywhere.

Smells as soon as you open the bottle and it's amazing. HOPS HOPS HOPS and some more HOPS. Citrusy orange hops to an extreme. I mean this is what a hospickle is ladies and gents.

Taste starts off rather sweet and malty until WHAM the hops rush in and nearly take over the beer. The hops are huge just like I expected from the nose. A little pineyness coming thru but its all about the grapefruit citrusy hops with this beer.

Mouthfeel is also amazing. Thick n slick with some chewyness. Love these kind of beers that have a thick mouthfeel but don't bomb your stomach like most stouts.

Overall an amazing beer, depending on my mood I'll like it more than Hopslam--don't hate. One of my go to beers if I can't find any new stuff to try.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Not part of the beer, but I love the trout on the bottle... Nice pale amber pour with a thick head that left some significant legs on the glass as it dropped.

Nose- Malty and some fruitiness with a little more sweetness than some pale ales, maybe some honey quality from the malt. Opened up to some pineapple with time.

Taste- Distinctively American hops with some sour grapefruit qualities. Some toastiness before a bitter finish as one would expect, a little bit of "spruce" flavor. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel- Fairly crisp at first before mellowing down and thinning due to the slightly lower carbonation. I prefer my pale ales to be a little bit more mouth-coating.

Overall- A well crafted, balanced beer. One for the North woods. While it has a nice blend of flavors, I feel it's maybe missing that one layer that blows you away. That being said, it went down the hatch pretty dang quick...

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Nice murky orange-amber pour, with a foamy head that leaves pillow lace. Beautiful mixture of citrus and floral notes in the nose. Well done... wonderfully hopped from beginning to end, without overtaking any of the other portions of the brew. Nice orange peel and grapefruit essence in the citrus dept. Very quaffable, as the citrus and malt combine for a perfectly round and smooth mouthfeel. Pine resin lingers in the finish, peppering the back of the mouth with a decent IBU. Again, the drinkability is very much the biggest "pro" of this brew. IPA’s are my fave (as are doubles and impy’s), and this one doesn’t disappoint. ABV doesn’t particularly show... possibly in the peppery aftereffects of the finish, there shines a note or two of alcohol, but well-integrated.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Mildly cloudy, golden to orange hue. Pale yellow head that leaves slight lacing.

S: Very fruity and floral aroma. As expected, big hop presence.

T: Hoppy flavor with some spice. Very nice bitterness. The hops are strong, but not overpowering.

M: Light carbonation with a medium body. Very drinkable combo.

O: Clean and easy to drink. One of my favorite IPAs.

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

It's a fairly clear gold/amber. There is an ample, almost velvety head that sticks around a good long while. Very citrussy in scent, but more toward the grapefruit end of the spectrum as opposed to tangerine or orange. The front end is an almost grassy flavour, followed by more grapefruit and notes of lemon. There is a nice bitterness. It sits light on the tongue, much lighter than most IPAs, which I actually prefer.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It’s been too long since I’ve had a damn fine IPA. So, let’s have a damn fine IPA. Two Hearted Ale pours a hazy dull copper with half a finger or less of foamy white head that's quick to dissipate. Loads of citrus and pine hops on the nose. Herbal and earthy in the hop profile as well. Simple, clean and... whatever the smell equivalent is for "tasty." A very hop forward brew, no doubt, but the balancing power of its smooth malt backbone cannot be overstated. The finish has hints of citrus, lingering malt and then a swooping bitterness comes in to wipe the palate clear. Exquisite. Goes down way too smooth for its 7% ABV.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hand on a six pack of this after hearing so much about it, was a little scared that the hype may not live up to its reputation. Well, I must say it did live up to it and I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Appearance: A nice golden brown with a thin head. Very appealing to the eye.
Smell: Lots of things going on here, picked out some floral scents but couldn't really make out the rest. A hole bunch of smells coming out of this one, very pleasant.
Taste: Very nice bite from the hops but not overpoweringly bitter. Picked out some pine and a slight citrus taste. Very smooth and drinkable. Barely get the alcohol which could easily lead me to make this a session ale until I fall on my ass when I'm done.
Mouthfeel: smooth but coats the tongue to fully let you enjoy the beautiful mix of flavors, but doesn't linger too long to beat up the palette
Overall: I was very pleased to have finally tried this much hyped brew. Great mix of flavors with a nice clean finish that makes you want to go back for me.

Very interested in trying Hopslam after this.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Hadn't had this in a while so I picked up a 4 pack of pounder cans at the Friendly Greek. I could smell it as soon as I opened a can and man does it taste great! Nice and smooth, easy to drink, no sense of it being a 7 percenter. If it wasn't so pricey (relative to Otter Creek's Overgrown) this could easily be my go-to beer (which is currently Overgrown, hence the reference). In my opinion, the best thing about this excellent beer is that I can get in half a dozen places within 5 miles of my home. In a world where availability and price counted as much as everything else, this would rank higher then Heady Topper.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.