Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 14,349 |  Reviews: 3,574
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a perfect pint glass. Pours golden yellow color with a bubbly white head. Very good head retention and lacing.

Aroma is very floral and citrusy. Taste is citrusy up front with some pine and a nice long bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is moderate.

Drinkability is excellent. This is a beer that I buy frequently, it's a great beer to take to parties or to have when you want a few. I consider this my go to IPA that I have readily available to me.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

A - Decanting the sediment, the beer is a crystal clear golden copper. Great off-white head with a mixed bubble, nice lace and great retention.

S - Herbal hops with an fruity sweetness of honey, honeysuckel, and strawberry jam.

T - Slowly opens with a touch of honey before the doors open on a huge herbal hop center. The finish drops off into a lingering dry, floral, bitter backend.

M - Smooth, medium-light body with nice carbonation.

O - A solid IPA with a firm bitter character.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Mad props to BARLEYWINEO for this one!

Pours an ever-so slightlty hazed amber with 4+ fingers of fluffed up eggshel white head. Very good head retention & good lacing

S: Big time citrus & piney hops, plus some breadyness

T: Big-time breadyness & grapefruitty hops up front. More grapefruit & orangey hops as this warms. Nice breadyness, with a hint of brown, sugar, booze & loads of citrussy & piney/resiny hops, yummy!!

MF: Rich, chewy medium-bodied with perfrect balance

Super AIPA, too drinkable, this is one that lives up to the hype IMO. I like my IPAs to have malt to back up the hops & this one comes through with flying colors!

look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Modest head, but it leaves a near blanket of lace on the glass. The liquid is cloudy with an orange hued dirty copper color.

Very mild smell for the style. Pale grain nose is stronger than the floral hop. Well balanced but meek.

The hop is fresh tasting, providing a black pepper finish. Starts with a clean "round" pale malted barley flavor. Only a touch of sweetness. Full bodied and a below average level of carbonation. Good counterpoint to hot wings.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper body with a large, foamy white head.

Smell: Pale malt aroma with notes of flowers, zesty citrus, and cooked pineapple rings.

Taste: Pale maltiness with a light touch of caramel sweetness. Fruity, even juicy citrus and pineapple flavors. Moderate bitterness and acidity. Crisp, relatively clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A fine example of an IPA!

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a bottle into a DFH snifter glass

A: Pours a slightly hazy gold color. Small head with patchy lacing down the sides.

S: Lots of citrus and pine with some grapefruit and other fruits in the background. Also a little bit of grass in there as well.

T: Matches pretty well to the nose. The hop/citrus flavor hits you upfront and a really nice malt finish. The hop flavor is really nice with the grapefruit and grass coming through, but it isn't overpowering and is balanced well with the malt leaving a slightly dry, but not overly bitter finish.

M/D: Medium bodied, but very smooth and creamy at the back end. The 7.1% is nonexistent and this beer goes down nice and easy. I only wish I could get more of it.

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

I've been meaning to re-review Bell's Two Hearted Ale ever since I had the bottle that led to my first review because I was convinced that it had seen better days. I bought an uber fresh sixer on my recent trip to Ohio and have worked my way through it over the past few weeks. Since I've been more impressed with each passing bottle, this last one should be otherworldly. Damn, I knew I should have bought more than six.

Ripe apricot-amber with an all-encompassing cloud of fine particulates. The ivory colored cap contains the barest blush of pale orange and is a thing of beauty. Milkshake creamythick and hop resin sticky, it leaves buttery thick sheets of minutely pocked lace on the glass that will, no doubt, have to be removed with gallons of scalding water.

Ah... the intoxicating aroma of fresh Centennial hops! As I drank the other bottles, I debated the gloriousness of Two Hearted's nose. At this moment in time, however, I can't imagine a better smelling IPA. The insanely bright, incandescent, pungent, grapefruit juicy hops cement the notion in my mind that every member of the 4-Cs, whether used alone or in combination, and if used skillfully, are the best beer hops in the world, hands down.

I know what this beer tastes like with some age on it and now I know what it tastes like fresh. It has barely passed the 4-week mark from the time of bottling to my mouth... and it tastes like it. A more than solid backbone of buttery soft, teasingly sweet pale malt greets my every sip and is still very nearly annihilated by a hop explosion that is so fresh and so immediate that it makes me want to weep.

This is one of the best examples of a 'candied white grapefruit sections' IPA that I can think of. Spruce makes a welcome contribution, but nothing else gets in the way of the grapefruit love. If I had to think of one word to describe this beer, that word would be 'beautiful'. I'm not talking about the appearance, although it looks great, but about the entire experience. Two Hearted tastes so perfectly balanced, so deliciously hoppy, so... sublime, that beautiful is the only word that truly fits.

The mouthfeel is a smidgen lighter than I'd like, but that's such obvious nitpicking that I'm embarrassed to type it. It's supremely smooth and silky, making the drinking as natural as breathing. An absolutely perfect amount of carbonation doesn't hurt what is, quite simply, mouth candy.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale is a world-class IPA, period. In fact, I'm considering an e-mail assault on the talented Mr. Bell until he decides to extend his distribution area this far west. If I had this fine ale within easy reach, it would have a permanent place in my beer fridge. With regular consumption, say a sixer every week, I'd probably begin to tire of it in... oh, about 2035.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date to be found. Thanks to sakaroo for the sample.

Appearance: Overly foamy to being with, nice densely rocky head with a patch lace. Slightly hazy in the golden hue.

Smell: Big aroma of floral and citric hop, lots of hops. Faintly ester with a blanket of fruitiness.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Moderate body, smooth crispness and a touch of creaminess in the back. Light pale malt and yeast give a doughy biscuity flavour throughout. The hop character is strong with a semi-sharp bitterness and a long lingering citric toned flavour. Bitter dry finish.

Notes: A super hoppy brew with a puckering dryness that I would only put up against the sharpest of cheddars. A hop heads delight without a doubt.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

4.92/5  rDev +15.5%

Thanks to JohnnyM2002 for my first two-hearted

Pours a merky amber color with a nice 1 finger frothy head that was slow to disappear, this just looks yummy. Smell is knock your socks off!! Citrusy hops all the way, unreal smell, orange and grapefruit in there. Taste is loaded down with citrus, with a fantastic dry hoppy finish. A bit of a grassy, pine taste, but one of the most citrus favored hops I have ever tasted. Went down ohh soo smooth, just right carbonation. This is so a keeper, cannot wait to get my hands on some more of this. Just awesome, really awesome brew.

Ha! I got it wrong, initially. Those 5L mini-kegs actually qualify as CANs as long as they are unpressurized. It's okay, since I have had Two Hearted Ale in a number of forms, including bottle and cask, also, but now it is truly in a 16-oz. CAN. I scored it at Pinocchio's (@pinbeer) and I am excited to give it a whirl. The graphics are phenomenal and the name is an allusion to a Hemingway story, doubling my interest.

From the CAN: "An Ameri[CAN] India Pale Ale with intense hop aroma and malt balance. Well suited for adventurous trips anywhere."; "Unfilterered"; "Best Kept Refrigerated"; "Unpasteurized".

Man, was the Crack! loud! I immediately got an inverted Glug started, allowing the fish plenty of slack on the line to run. The pseudo-cascade quickly settled into two fingers of dense, tawny head with excellent retention in the face of tonight's humidity. Color was a hazy golden-yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7) and my old pals Croesus, Mammon and Midas suddenly appeared, clamoring for a taste. Forget it! This is all for me. The nose was big with hops, giving off scents of pine, grapefruit, pineapple and as a previous reviewer mentioned, lilac or lavender in a lightly perfume-y way. As I was typing, the head began to drop, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Mouthfeel was medium and the hops were immediate and unrelenting on the tongue, but underlain with a sweet maltiness so as not to be overwhelming. Jesus, but this was tasty! The fact that it is now available in a more portable form of CAN really excites me. The finish was semi-dry, with the malt really achieving a good balance with the hops so that they do not become overwhelming. This deserves a place in anyone's cooler, no matter what their destination.

My original, on-tap, review dtd 02 June 2008 with all 5s follows:

A mini-keg counts as "on-tap", does it not? If not, this will either get removed or moved to a more appropriate type.

The pour produced a big, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention. The nose had a great hoppy presence. The color was a slightly hazy golden-yellow. The mouthfeel was medium with a definite hop bite on the palate. The finish lingered with hops. There was great lacing produced throughout. This is unquestionably one of my favorite American IPAs of all time.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

I picked this up at Al's of Hampden as part of a mix a six. poured chilled into a willybecker and allowed to gradually warm.

A slightly hazed golden peach color with monstrous ecru cap w/ light beige accent. The head measures over an inch high and haze is not too much that you can't see some carbonation in the liquid. The bead is average sized and head looks 'whipped' up. The lace sticks like glue and retention is very good. I really like the mild citrus and herbal aroma w/ mild grassiness. There is some lemony/orange aspects w/ lots of yeast esters and some floral hop notes. The feel is moderately bitter up front w/ mild astringency and mellow acidity for the style which is nice w/ moderate carbonation level and semi spicy, semi-dry overall feel with a subtle sweetness and light chalky vegetal tinge in the finish-could be from bottle conditioning.

The taste has lots of hop flavor w/out pushing the bitterness too far forward. The taste has nice herbal hops and mild citrus and spice. There is a light tropical element and mild toasted malt in the flavor w/ hints of pear and light lime accent into to the finish. This is a great IPA, not a 'hop assault' on the palate, but just pleasant honest to goodness drinkable IPA from Bell's. I consider this a top notch example of the style as far as drinkability goes -a go-to beer for me.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Poured an orangish/amber color with 2 fingers of white foam and moderate carbonation. Great retention.

s - Smells of hops and sweet malts. A tiny bit of citrus as well. I was actually surprised by the balance; I was expecting a lot more hops and a lot less sweetness.

t - Again, tastes strongly of hops with a little bit of bitterness, followed by sweet malts. I was again surprised how balanced it was and how much the sweet malts stood out.

m -Medium body with moderate carbonation, it has both a bit of a bitterness to it, followed by smoothness from the malts. Very nice.

d - Very nice and balanced. The hops didn't stand out as much as I thought they would, but the balance and smoothness from the malts was a pleasant surprise. Great taste and easy to drink, I'll surely be trying this again.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.