Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

#666

Ratings: 14,588 |  Reviews: 3,610
4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured out of a bottle at about 50 oF into a clear pint glass. Nice orange-honey color. 1" white head that doesn't go away, medium-thick lacing.

Big and wonderful aroma of pine & citrus -- lemon & grapefruit.

Lots of carbonation, slightly malty up front with a wonderful bitter hoppy finish.

I like this beer a lot, it's one of my favorite IPAs.

4.82/5  rDev +12.9%

Batch 7196, 2005

Pours bright orange with a huge rocky head and loads of carbonation. Visually it reminds me of Saison Dupont, but that is where the comparisons stop. The nose is absolutely gorgeous. It smells of grapefruit and spice with a slight nod towards marijauna and pine. It smells like fresh hops, perfect for an IPA. The palate is slightly more balanced. The initial palate is some sweet pale and caramel malts which are quickly washed away by a tidal wave of hops. Again, citrus and pine flavor are predominant with a deep, powerful bitterness. The mouthfeel is is crisp and refreshing due to the high carbonation and light malts.

This beer is fantastic. It is my personal benchmark for what an IPA should taste like. My only complaint is that it is significantly better when fresh which takes out any chance of aging this beer. Overall this beer is outstanding.

4.04/5  rDev -5.4%

Let me say first that I love this beer. It is floral and spicy and very aromatic. But as other reviewers may have pointed out, it is rather unbalanced. Some may call this "hop juice" for its aggressive hop flavor and aroma. Pours a rich golden color, brighter than most amber colored ales. Nice frothy head that turns quickly into a white ring leaving lacing down the glass. Aroma is rough hewn and woody. Flavor is hoppy,less malty, with hints of citrus and apple. Mouthfeel is only average since the ultra high hop flavor makes this dry and rough at times.

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first Bell's beer. The number on the bottle is 7139. The beer is a cloudy amber color. The head was minimal. The smell is sweet. The taste is verry hoppy. Sweet notes linger for a while. Bitter at first with a sweet aftertaste. The beer leaves a refreshing coolness in the mouthfeel. The drinkability is high but deffinatly not a session beer. I would drink it again if it were available in my area. I would love to have a cask version of this sometime.

4.4/5  rDev +3%

Beer #10 (of 13) from my beer purchase in Indiana.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale pours a dark golden color into my pint glass. Atop the hazy, bottle-conditioned liquid sits a 1/2", off-white head that collapses onto itself after a few minutes. Hight levels of carbonation create a smooth, bubbly head. Lots of delicate lacing. The aroma is dominated by the citric smell of the hops, but not overwhelmingly so; unlike many other IPAs, it's also evident that there's some maltiness present as well.

The flavors present in this beer come together almost flawlessly. The hop bitterness is wonderfully complex; after every sip, a different fruit seems to come through: grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, etc. These citrus flavors do not overwhelm the overall flavor profile, though, and after a little bit, the sweet toasted flavors of the malt pop up as well. Mouthfeel is wet and moderately full, the finish is quite hoppy and not as balanced as the taste is.

Overall, Two Hearted Ale is an outstanding IPA; it's insanely redrinkable. I'd drink this beer all the time if it was available anywhere near me.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

I've been meaning to re-review Bell's Two Hearted Ale ever since I had the bottle that led to my first review because I was convinced that it had seen better days. I bought an uber fresh sixer on my recent trip to Ohio and have worked my way through it over the past few weeks. Since I've been more impressed with each passing bottle, this last one should be otherworldly. Damn, I knew I should have bought more than six.

Ripe apricot-amber with an all-encompassing cloud of fine particulates. The ivory colored cap contains the barest blush of pale orange and is a thing of beauty. Milkshake creamythick and hop resin sticky, it leaves buttery thick sheets of minutely pocked lace on the glass that will, no doubt, have to be removed with gallons of scalding water.

Ah... the intoxicating aroma of fresh Centennial hops! As I drank the other bottles, I debated the gloriousness of Two Hearted's nose. At this moment in time, however, I can't imagine a better smelling IPA. The insanely bright, incandescent, pungent, grapefruit juicy hops cement the notion in my mind that every member of the 4-Cs, whether used alone or in combination, and if used skillfully, are the best beer hops in the world, hands down.

I know what this beer tastes like with some age on it and now I know what it tastes like fresh. It has barely passed the 4-week mark from the time of bottling to my mouth... and it tastes like it. A more than solid backbone of buttery soft, teasingly sweet pale malt greets my every sip and is still very nearly annihilated by a hop explosion that is so fresh and so immediate that it makes me want to weep.

This is one of the best examples of a 'candied white grapefruit sections' IPA that I can think of. Spruce makes a welcome contribution, but nothing else gets in the way of the grapefruit love. If I had to think of one word to describe this beer, that word would be 'beautiful'. I'm not talking about the appearance, although it looks great, but about the entire experience. Two Hearted tastes so perfectly balanced, so deliciously hoppy, so... sublime, that beautiful is the only word that truly fits.

The mouthfeel is a smidgen lighter than I'd like, but that's such obvious nitpicking that I'm embarrassed to type it. It's supremely smooth and silky, making the drinking as natural as breathing. An absolutely perfect amount of carbonation doesn't hurt what is, quite simply, mouth candy.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale is a world-class IPA, period. In fact, I'm considering an e-mail assault on the talented Mr. Bell until he decides to extend his distribution area this far west. If I had this fine ale within easy reach, it would have a permanent place in my beer fridge. With regular consumption, say a sixer every week, I'd probably begin to tire of it in... oh, about 2035.

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle Pours a cloudy gold with a cramy white head. Mostly lastingand good lacing. Aromas are hoppy with touches of flowers, citrus, and pine. Taste is medium bodied with a nice consistancy and carbonation. Has a good bitter/alcohol finish which lasts well. A very decent IPA as expected from Bells.

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

Slightly-cloudy gold pour with a big white head that fades slowly and leaves sheets of lace. Good-looking carbonation. Smell is citric and grapefruit-laden, but with a slight malt backing and some little pine notes. Flavor is equally hoppy, with the grapefruit and orange coming through just as clear, but the malt is doughy and ample. Finishes with a lingering, fruity bitterness that can't be beaten.

Overall: A great IPA that's in the top handful of American examples. Always a treat.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

12 Oz bottle Sampled through the efforts of Boxing Day BIF and Pentathlete.

Pours a hazy golden colored ale with a good white head.

Smell is lots of very aromatic and fresh hops. Good mix of hops not just limited to the usual North Western USA pine and grapefruit varieties. Aromas of spices and mint with a touch of citrus and pineapple. There is a nice malt backbone here to, sweet fruit juice.

Taste is mildly sweet and candy like with a good hop hit at first. The malt is a bit honey like but there is ample bitterness to hide it here. Good floral hop flavors here along with some pine and citrus that it seems every IPA has. Spicy and woody flavors are the last level of hop flavors to emerge. An extremely full flavored IPA.

Mouthfeel is good.

A super solid IPA experience here. Very tasty but after one your taste buds are a bit hop saturated so that it would be a waste of good beer to drink this just to get drunk.

4.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Foggy gold with a large white head that falls to a sturdy table. Nose is all pine sap and lemon rind. Taste is all perfumey hops with some raw bitter oils and a lemony after taste. There is no balance here, this is a hop heads brew all the way. Mouthfeel is medium to full, outstanding finish. Decent drinakbility for such a hoppy beer. A fine IPA.

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz. bottle provided by Frozensoul327

Pours a quite hazy golden color with a white head that thins, but doesn't completely fade. Nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma of citrusy grapefruit with a hint of caramel maltiness that peeks through now and then. It smells "tangy".

Has a very smooth combo of citrusy hops and a caramel malty sweetness upfront. This is washed away by a gentle wave of hops and finishes quite cleanly. Actually quite balanced and very delicious.

Nice full, smooth body.

This is a great version of an American IPA. I could drink this every day. This beer definitely deserves the hype that it gets.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

The beer was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer is a very pretty amber to peach coloration. The head is a massive off white fluffy mountain. The beer has a few floaty particles but they are of no matter.

Smell: The beer smells a marvellous sweet malty citrusy grapefruit treat. By all the beer Gods this is a treat. There is the smell of piney spicy funkyness.

Taste: The beer is a hop punch to the mouth. Small amounts of syrupy sweetness attempt to make themselves known; however, expect no mercy as the hoppyness continues. There is a mouthfull of grapefruit present in the beer.

Mouthfeel: This is a very crisp and dry finishing beer. The beer is medium bodied and very tasty.

Drinkability: This is practically everything I want in an IPA. I am not 100% sure but I think Two Hearted Ale was the first craft brewed beer I ever drank. I loved it then and still love it.

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a pint glass with a nice head and immediate aroma of hops. A good beer to just stick your nose i an close your eyes. Hints of pine and hay in the smell. Good flavors on the front end and a blast of hop bitterness on the back of the tongue. I really enjoy the finish on this beer.

A good beer to finish off a session of Wheat beers because of the contrast. Not the biggest of Hoppers but an great representation escpecially in the midwest where it is hard to find big IPA's.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Bell's can do little wrong these days & as evidenced by this exceptional IPA.
The Two Hearted Ale is one I enjoy on tap and in bottles with little variation between the two.
This is a classic IPA with more malty mid-tones than the ever-popular Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and not quite the high end of the Dogfish Head offerings.
To me this is the ideal IPA. Drinkable, interesting and satisfying.
Balanced, rich and simply wonderful.

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent beer. Definitely the first to disappear from the mixed case I picked up the other day. Beautiful orange tone to this one, and a huge, solid, rocky head that maintains it's shape for a while and then fades to a still substantial foam that lasts til the final sip. Mmmm. In terms of smell and taste, this is a perfectly balanced beer, yet robust in both the malt and hop areas. I generally don't draw comparisons between beers, but I like this just about as much as the Alesmith Yulesmith, which I couldn't help but be reminded of while drinking this beer. They both have that great almost vanilla ice cream sweet malt character backing up a load of hops. Very resinous and oily hops in the nose, and also on the palate, but moving towards a more citrusy orange peel and spice bouquet. Also, I could be imagining this but I'm detecting either some light spicing, or just little complexities such as clove and nutmeg. Really nice. This is pretty much a medium bodied beer but it has a great slightly thick and sticky mouthfeel, super creamy and smooth. I know this is tough or nearly impossible to find on the east coast, but if you find some on your travels definitely pick it up, it's one of the best IPAs I've had. And you have to love any beer that has a generic looking wildlife photo on it, a la Schmidt's.

4.64/5  rDev +8.7%

12 oz. bottle
pours a clear, burnt yellow color with a small, white head. A strong citrusy, floral smell is incredibly nice. Light bodied with an airy texture. A very good , grainy malt taste meshes nicely with the perfumy, spicey hops.
A great ipa, this would be a regular in my fridg. if it were available locally to me.

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

A slightly couldy golden, with a fluffy head that gently receeded and left a hearty lace. Strong piney and floral hops greet the nose, crisp and sharp. My heavens though, it is a nice beer. Full bodied floral hops, not watery at all, just all hops, all the time. I could drink this all afternoon, except for that pesky 6%. An outstanding IPA, the best 'floral hops' IPA I have tasted.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

I was looking forward to giving this a sample, grabbed one on my last trip out to Minnesota. It poured a hazy, golden-to-straw color with a big beaded bleach white head that is quite substantial and leaves a good, clinging lace. The floral hop bouquet is...lovely! Its almost like potpourri, quite an accomplishment. The body is best described as medium with a mouthfeel that's full of a good juicy malt character. The hop character in the beer itself is a pleasant combo of citrus and floral notes, really the perfect marriage. Also adding to the intrigue is the complex sugary balance, which is outstanding. It finishes with a little lemony pucker but still clings to the rose-like passiveness. An outstanding IPA, best I've had in a while!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

This beer pours a dark honey brown that is slightly cloudy. The head is fluffy and a dirty brown. It fell quickly to a fluffy film. Great lacing!

The smell is incredibly aromatic that playfully stings my nose with huge pineapple and nectarine hops. No malt detected.

Tastes of strong pine and citrus hops with a fantastic understated foundation of oat and caramel malts. Well paired flavors! The finish is a nice sour dryness that makes me want another sip in a bad way.

Mouth feel is full and creamy with a medium body and a little carbonation.

Nice beer, Bell’s! It’s not too heavy, but delicious and easy to drink!

3.77/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: Golden orange. Slightly hazy. Lots of lacing. White foamy head.

Nose: Hoppy and grassy. Some fruity notes.

Taste: Malty upfront, bitter hoppy finish. Not overpowering though.

Medium body. Pretty light carbonation

Relatively drinkable beer for an IPA

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

It is odd to sit down and write a review for my favorite session beer. It is almost as if I was forced to tell my best friend what I loved about them, but only got one chance to do it. My subconscious says, "Don't screw up, this is a special one. The two of you have been together for a while. Through thick and thin - times good and bad - celebration and dissapointment."

Well, here goes. . .

A beautiful amber orange sunset display.
Ah yes! A bit cloudy from its natural, unfiltered state.
Floral, citrus and perfumed oils percolate through the air.
Wonderful white, bubbling foam fills my pint.
Lacing continues to the last drop.
Hop oils do wonders for lace and bubbles. Are there hops in here? :)

The nose releases bisquit malt, honey and just a whisper of vanilla.
These qualities are barely discernable due to the hop overload.
Lemon, grapefuit, grapes, herbal-freshly cut grass. . . .ohm . . .

I love you my friend.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Please let me know if there is a better ale out there! Two Hearted seems to be available in parts of the Midwest, but I don't think it's on the East Coast yet. What a shame!

Warning: this delicious ale (about $9 a six pack in Ohio) will ruin your drinking-out experience unless you are in a fine establishment with its own quality cask ale. I can't wait to get home in the evening to see those bottom-feeders (trout hardly) on the label.

Strong taste, but dry and clean. Fruity but not sweet. Better than the other Bells. What the heck is lacing and who cares?

4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Bell’s Two Hearted Ale:

Crystal clear vigorous pour put a huge head on this puppy…hope the hops don’t get lost in it. No chance…big, piney hops nose and flavor. Good lord what a beer! Very easy malt presence but the freakin’ hops is what this beer is all about. An IPA for IPA lovers, and just too damn drinkable.

Cheers…

4.02/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was able to finally try this beer thanks to a friend bringing it back for me. I was very happy with it. It did surprise me that it was cloudy but the floral aroma of the hops was fantastic. It appears to have multiple types of hops in it which adds to the complexity of the beer. Surprisingly it did not hold its head well but the little head it did keep clung to the glass. The beer felt almost creamy with a nice hop bite. It does have a bit too much stickyness to it but that is just getting picky. I noticed a slight residual sweetness in the finish but very little malt character.

Overall - I am very happy with this well balance yet still hoppy ipa.

Enjoy.

4.85/5  rDev +13.6%

It's been nearly a year since I last had a Two Hearted, which I've already reviewed here, but which, upon tasting it again, compelled me to sit down and right a review.

I should reveal my bias before going any further: I believe that this is one of the single best beers brewed in America today.

It pours a transparent copper and tangerine with appropriate head and good carbonation. The bouquet is dominated by hops, a floral sniff that is both straitforward and defined, though not overwhelming. As with the appearance, the beauty of this beer lies in its measure, its balance, its restraint.

As for taste, Two Hearted is the standard by which all other IPAs should be measured: a clean, hop bitterness that occasionally surprises me, perhaps as a reminder to say, 'don't forget what's driving this beer.' And yet, it's balanced by a crisp sweetness that imparts a refreshing quality to the beer that is quite remarkable. Beyond this, it's the simplicity here is what strikes me again and again: this brew perfectly captures its style with a striking simplicity, and I can't imagine how it could be improved upon. Whereas many other IPAs or Double IPAs (and very good ones at that), strive for shocking levels of hops or a more complex palate, Two Hearted seems content to reveal itself quickly and cleanly and perfectly, again and again.

Exemplary in every way.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 4.27 out of 5 with 14,588 ratings