Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Brewed with 100% Centennial hops from the Pacific Northwest and named after the Two Hearted River in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, this IPA is bursting with hop aromas ranging from pine to grapefruit from massive hop additions in both the kettle and the fermenter.

Perfectly balanced with a malt backbone and combined with the signature fruity aromas of Bell's house yeast, this beer is remarkably drinkable and well suited for adventures everywhere.

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 14,884 |  Reviews: 3,675
4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Burnt amber pour with a mountanous peak of light beige head that retains like a champ and leaves cluttered clumps of lace.

Aroma is toffee malts, wildflower honey, and intense floral and citrus hops. Smell like I'm walking through a garden here! Sweet hop perfume, mmm.

Flavor is soft, caramel and scorched creme brule malt notes with a vigorous floral and citrus hop profile. Very well balanced, very hoppy, and oh so drinkable.

Body is between medium and large with a juicey, slick mouthfeel and soft, creamy texture. Very good all the way around!

4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours an amber haze with a massive creamy thick-n-rocky head that laces the bejeezus out of the glass. Particulate suspension is either yeast or some kind of chill haze.

Smell is classic Fruit Brute cereal. It is amazing that I remember that smell all these years after it was discontinuted. Damn you General Mills! In addition to the Fruit Brute, I get pine and orange peel and maybe a little Cointreau liquer. Nice.

Taste is a a light concoction of sweet malt and bitter hops. Nothing overpowering here but a decent balance. Perhaps the hop bitterness wins out.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Wonderfully light mouthfeel that makes it feel like whipped cream

These don't last long in my fridge!

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours out of the fishy bottle a nice golden amber with a fluffly head. The color is vibrant with a bit of haze as well. The smell is upfront with a bouqet of light floral hops mingling with lemon and grapefruit tones. A treat for my nose.

First sip is a tidal wave of wonderful hoppiness. The citrus/floral mix rushes over my palate and intertwines with a nice caramel malt background. Biterness is good and this is just a tasty IPA all around. Quite unique.

Mouthfeel is a good...nice and creamy body with plenty of carbonation..maybe even a little too much. Drinkability is very good here as well. An easy drinking IPA that would be great for session. Hoppy burps are good :-). If you love hops and you've yet to try this one....what are you waiting for??

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%

The Two Hearted poured a hazy golden color. It had a thick fluffy white head that had great retention and lacing.

The aroma was grapefruity, apricoty, piney hops. A little on the subdued side, but nice.

The flavor was grapefruity malts with a hoppy, bitter finish that dominated more as it sat and warmed. Just the right balance of hops, fruitiness and malts. It had a smooth and velvety mouthfeel.

Overall, an excellent IPA. A little more subdued than I expected, but very drinkable.

4.11/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a somewhat cloudy and dingy yellow with great lacing and carbonation.

The aroma is top notch and what hop lovers crave. Lots of citrus, leaning more towards tangerine and orange doses rather than grapefruit.

Hops seems to dominate the flavor, but doesn't detract. Light malt flavors give it a touch of sweetness but this doesn't overbear either, since some hop bitterness keeps it in check. Two words...terrifically balanced.

The body is relatively thin given the amount of flavor. Citrus flavors oddly seem to give it a little more body (is that possible???). Maybe it's the tangy aftertaste. I haven't heard of mouthfeel changing from hop flavors, but it seems to be having an effect on body and finish.

Confession that this is one of my favorite beers at the moment. It's very easy to drink and a standby when I get a craving for hops.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

Two firkins of the cask-conditioned stuff found their way to the bar at Bryant-Lake Bowl, and the beer cognoscenti of Minneapolis flocked to fill their mugs.
I had a pint of the regular tap first, and some still rested in the glass when the "real arrived", giving me the chance to sample them side by side.
Appearance is darker, a heavier orange/amber, and the head to slim for a freshly tapped Two-Hearted. I've poured some of those with gorgeous froth that sat on the glass like soft-serve ice cream, proud as pudding. So, I missed that...
Aroma is nice, but not as pungent as the tap.
Taste is the difference. Where the tap gives you the hops on the palate in a brisk spike, a frisky tingle, then mellows and moves out, leaving nothing bu† clean, smooth drinkability, this cask version keeps the hops at play throughout the duration. The body is the main thing affected, and it's creamy, but not too much, for this is Two-Hearted. (I drink the stuff almost every single day, I should know!)
Drinkablity is big, too, and the character is really key. This was an excellent pint, a big difference, though, blast me down if you must, if prefer the CO2 version. I like that hop attack...but there's something to be said for both...hope to have it again at some other occasion in my lifetime!

4.4/5  rDev +3%

This 12 oz brown bottle arrived on my doorstep via BIF XV. There is no freshness date to be found. A very artful fish (trout?) is on the label. Apparently, the beer is named after a river in Michigan, which was in a short story by Hemmingway—he’s referenced on the upper label, but I thought he was a liquor man? The label on their website has two fish, so I’m not sure if what I have is old or new.

I decided to try this beer as I sat down to watch game 7 of the ALCS. Like the crowd of navy hats in the Bronx stands, the off-white head was densely packed. It very quickly dissipated to a patchy lace. It was difficult to tease a head from subsequent pours, but that might have been because of my glass instead of the beer. Rings of carbonation lined the brew and a thin lacing traced down the glass. The body of the beer is a hazy golden color. I might be crazy, but I thought I saw a few errant chunks of yeast swirling around in my last pour from the bottle.

Giant floral and citric hop aroma.

First of all, I drank at least half the pint before paying any attention. Was it the crisp, clean, IPA goodness, or was it the excitement of the Sox defeating the Evil Empire? The hops bum rush your taste buds and quickly leave a sharp citrus acidity. Once you slow down, and allow it to smother your taste buds before swallowing, you really enjoy the moderate body of the brew. Although predominantly green hops in flavor, there is a mild bready maltiness in the flavor that is evident in the middle. Substantial, diaphragm-shaking hop belches on the back end.

This is an excellent IPA and it is clear why it is a favorite of the hopheads out there. It is now my third Bells beer and I haven’t been disappointed with any. It actually caused me to go on their website to see where they are found. Now that I know they are available in PA, my work trips there next month will have new meaning. This is a devilishly good session beer, of which I need more…

3.59/5  rDev -15.9%

I got there the day after this cask was tapped. I believe this was a hand pumped cask as well.

It seemed to have lost something. Normally this is one of my absolute favorite beers, but this one left me a little unfullfilled.

Beer was a medium cloudy yellow, almost the color of a hefe-wiezen. Small head the disappated rather quickly.

Smell was weaker than expected as well. The strong hops presesence was still there, but I detect little else.

The taste seemed a little down as well. Hops and carmelized malt, but little of the mild fruity sweetness I've grown used to in a Bell's Two Hearted.

Very low carbonation (most likely due to the hand pumped cask).

Next time I'll just go for the regular bell's two hearted and skip the cask-conditioned stuff.

3.85/5  rDev -9.8%

This beer pours a nice pale color and has about a quarter inch head that slowly fades into a ring around the glass. Minimal lacing this time but I remember it lacing more when I had it on tap.
The smell, Wow. As soon as you pop the top on this beer you are hit by a tremendous hop smell. Smells like Northern Brewers hops if my nose serves me correct. Probably a Northern/Cascade mix. I don't know for sure but thats what it smells like.
The taste definately follows the nose. It drastically goes from sweet to bitter. The bitter plays its part as soon as it gets to the back of the tounge. You can pick up on the oilyness probably because this is such a heavily hopped beer.
Just above average mouthfeel. Good carbonation and its flavor coats your mouth and lingers quite a bit.
Its a pretty powerful beer so I usually don't try to drink to many of them in a sitting without changing it up. It's definately a treat of a beer none the less. A good beer from a good Brewing Co. Very popular in my neck of the woods.

4.37/5  rDev +2.3%

Golden yellow color in the glass with a nice big ol' layer of medium bubbles on top. Hops smell takes over the immediate area as soon as its poured. The flavor is a real hop mix. It starts off with a bit of mild/sweet hops and malts then quickly turns to a sharp bitter in the same taste. I'd guess that is why its a Two Hearted Ale. It sweet-talks you, then stabs you with hops.

4.08/5  rDev -4.4%

I love IPA and have heard a good deal about this brew. It appeared lighter in color than I imagined, but a nice hazy dull organge color. I've had IPA's that have much more aroma than 2 Hearted Ale. I was a little disappointed with the aroma. There is aroma but my expectations were much higher. (I'm a hop head) After being a little disappointed with the aroma, the taste made up for my disappointment. A very good hop bitterness, more than most IPA's. The hop bitterness jumps out at you, making this a hop lovers delight. It tastes a little thicker (more mouthfeel) than alot of the other IPA's. A good class beer, have two before you drink something of lesser value.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

I waited a long time to get my hands on a bottle so I'm trying to be fair. The beer probably could never live up to my expectations. It was a good example of an American IPA but I did not find it to be as exceptional as I hoped. It poured a light amber color with a huge head that ebbed quickly. There was almost no lacing. The aroma was hoppy, but not like I expected it to be. It was highly carbonated with hints of malty sweetness and some fruitness.

The taste was more hoppy than the aroma. It had a nice bitter appeal with balance added by a sweet maltiness and some citrus undertones. The beer was medium bodied, bubbly in the mouth. I had no real desire to have a second one, which is rare for most beers that I drink, and extremely rare for an IPA.

cotton candy, orange, peach, and light hops to it.

The flavor is roasty and malty. Some sweetness but very little hoppy bitterness. The floral accents and tanginess of the hops come through beautifully, but this is not an over-hopped beer that kicks you in the mouth with bitterness. Very subtle and sweet.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

After a bad experience with their Cherry Stout I had to try something else a little more redeeming. This poured out a slightly murky golden orange with a tall white rocky head. As the head shrank into the body scattered lacing was left to coat the glass. Very hoppy aroma with citric and floral hops coming out in abundance. There was a slight hint of malt to it at times. Taste was very similar very hoppy all the way through this one with citric and earthy flavors coming together for a great taste. A bitter hoppy aftertaste is how this ended. Mouthfeel was creamy with about a medium body. I could drink this all day, great flavor and aroma too bad I only picked up 2 bottles. Highly recommend to all hop heads and anyone that likes a good brew.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the lowest I've graded a Two-hearted IPA. It's been one of my top 5 beers for the last many years.

The beer poured a very clear straw-to-golden color. Watch out as you pour, though, it's bottle conditioned. Inhale deeply over the glass and you get the clean hop grapefruity aroma wafting up.

I remember more hop flavor in previous samples of this beer. So, the hop intensity isn't there in this sample,but it's nicely balanced. I hope Bells didn't mess with the recipe when they changed the label on the beer.

4.57/5  rDev +7%

I love a good IPA. This is a no-brainer as I love it too. Pours a nice hazy copper with a nice lacy head. Has the aroma of nice citrusy hops which makes me smile every time. The taste isn't as hoppy as I thought it would be but it is nice and crisp with a nice citursy hop flovor, almost a lime taste to it. Anyway this beer is what people claim that it is, but I am happy that there are others out there that are easier to find. I love hops therefore I am biased to any hoppy beer. Respect HOPs.

4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

Finally I was able to find this brew and boy am I glad I did. The brew pours a slightly hazy orange color with a thick 2+" head. Nice lacing develops through the drink. Carbonation levels seemed just right. The aroma was huge as floral hops, malt, and orange zest leaped out of the glass. The flavor followed the nose, as the thick sweet malt was perfectly balanced with floral bitterness and oranges.

The mouthfeel was mildly crisp at the start and finished with a smooth bitter citrus tone that lasted shortly on the tongue. Medium in body. This is a beer that could be quaffed all day long. Super brew.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

Been a while since I had one of these. Too long!

Appearance: apricot/peach-like color; good head; fairly cloudy.
Smell: Great aromatic hop sensation! Loads of 'em. Sort of pine-y.
Taste: Hoppy, citrusy start..hoppy, drier finish. Nice maltiness, too, mainly noticed in the finish.
Mouthfeel: Much better than average, though I was expecting, perhaps, a bit more body than this. Maybe it's just been so long since I've had one of these.
Drinkability: Very high. Damn fine IPA from our friends at Bells. Just a hop-heads delight!

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with no freshness date. The number "6450" is stamped on the back labbel in a white box. I assume this is the batch number, but this is only a guess.

The beer pours with a thin lacy head over cloudy orange color. The beer shows light carbonation through the glass. The aroma has cotton candy, orange, peach, and light hops to it.

3.92/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a hazy, cloudy color of gold, maybe leaning a bit towards a wet straw color. Decent head formed, a bit of an off-white color, which thinned out to a nice layer across the top that looks like it's gonna hang around a while.

Smell is heavy in the hops, bit of a hint of spice hidden behind there. Moderate thickness to it, smooth and crisp, leading off with a bit of a malt taste, and giving way to the hops. The end is a bit too bitter and dry for my taste.

I think this is a very drinkable beer. Not too heavy, feels pretty good in the mouth, though that dry bitterness at the end may be a bit of a turn-off.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

12 oz bottle

Appearance: Cloudy medium golden straw color. Medium white head with mild lacing.

Aroma: Aroma is simply amazing from this beer. Huge hoppy nose. Sweet and resiny. Floral and citrus notes. Very slight alcohol nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Slightly sweet at start to a huge hop presence. Awesome resiny, citrusy complex hop profile. Fades quite fast with a clean finish. Medium body.

Drinkability: Top 3 on my list of IPAs, and definitely the most drinkable. Was surprised to find it was only 6% ABV, felt stronger than that. Unfortunately only got 6 oz of this beer, but looking forward to our next encounter....

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Orange with a 1/2" bubbly head.

Big citrus hop smell, with a solid biscuity and malt backbone, well balanced.

Medium body, quite crisp. Loads of grapefruit flavor initially along with a light floral hoppiness and sweetness. It becomes slightly bitter in the middle and finishes with a light dryness.

A very good IPA, well balanced in every way, but definitely a choice beer for hop heads.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Wow.

Bottle-conditioned.

Slightly hazy gold. Huge resiny floral hops. Creamy thick head that slowly sighs to a film on the sides of the glass. Luscious resiny, lemony, slightly sweet malt carried by tender carbonation. Lingering candylike finish. Yum, yum, yum.

Am I glad I was "forced" to buy a whole sixpack of this.

3.8/5  rDev -11%

I love the label on this bottle! Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a thick, white head. The smell is very hoppy, with some grassy notes. There is also a bit of citrus/fruit character in the nose. The taste is quite bitter, with a ton of citrus. There are some mild malt tastes but they are masked by the extreme bitterness. Drinkability is good, considering the bitterness. This is a great IPA. Seek it out.

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%

What a hidden treasure! When I describe this beer as a hidden treasure I am referring to the fact that I kept reaching for other beers for the last few weeks before I decided to try this beer. To me this beer embodies the characteristics of a wonderful IPA, I would rank this as an all time favorite IPA.

Appearance:
The beer poured into the pint glass with a meringue head. The original inch of head diffused until there was a quarter of inch leaving artistic lacing patterns around my glass. The color of the beer seems to be a straw with a beech tone.

Smell:
The floral spiciness that is followed by the rich grapefruit hops aroma is captivating.

Taste:
Very enjoyable as you roll the beer over the tongue dispersing the spicy tanginess.

Mouthfeel:
The carbonation seems to spread the beer throughout the crevices of my mouth as the hops revitalize the taste buds. You must be prepared for this beer, some might find this as unpleasant.

Drinkability:
This is one drinkable beer. I would gladly buy more of this beer and enjoy it when I am looking for a really solid IPA to sooth my hoppy cravings. What a great beer.

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Many thanks to stonecrusher for recommending this one. Poured a rich, somewhat cloudy golden amber with a firm full head. The head dissipated rather quickly, leaving an appealing lace down the side of the glass. This beer had a wonderful hop aroma; slightly bitter, but not at all obnoxious. I also noticed subtle citrus and wheat components.

The first taste was quite good. It had a somewhat sweet initial flavor with a rather tame hop bite going down. This beer had a pleasant and surprisingly complex set of flavors for an IPA. Usually, I've tasted hops, more hops, or 'I can't choke this down anymore' hops, and nothing else. But this one was definitely the exception.

This was a good American IPA and for those who like the style will find this one extremely drinkable.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store