Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Brewed with 100% Centennial hops from the Pacific Northwest and named after the Two Hearted River in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, this IPA is bursting with hop aromas ranging from pine to grapefruit from massive hop additions in both the kettle and the fermenter.

Perfectly balanced with a malt backbone and combined with the signature fruity aromas of Bell's house yeast, this beer is remarkably drinkable and well suited for adventures everywhere.

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

#712

Ratings: 14,848 |  Reviews: 3,668
3.64/5  rDev -14.8%

So in my glass is the famous Two Hearted IPA. It looks good, potent dark sun yellow, lightly hazy, with a great very foamy and rocky white head, highly carbonated in appearance. Acute citrusy C-hops nose, very flowery, sweet, sour, hints at lemon pie, lilac (orval anyone?), grapefruit, grass. Solid toasty/cookie malt attack early like a good pils, quickly complemented by the direct floral and citrusy hops. Great flavor development for an IPA, but you know where they're from, hophead's neck of the wood and always lacking a touch of "multidimensionality". Tremendous velvety texture, less carbonated than anticipated. Clean and long oily bitter finish. Quite good, but top 100 in the world? I think not. Maybe a top 10 IPA though. Thanks Jeff.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

Clear Light peach. The head is dense, creamy and rocky but subsides to a thin layer of cream floating on the top.

Huge vibrant and bursting aroma of candy sweetness, kettle popcorn, cotton candy, wet oak, bright fruitiness, vacumm cleaner mustyness, pine oil, grapefruit, caramel and tangerine. Quite simply, an astonishing aroma.

After an aroma like this I am a little skeptical when I first sip the beer. "How could the flavor outdue the aroma, it's impossible," I say to myself while putting the glass up to my mouth. I taste it. Then a look of complete shock consumes my facial muscles and I look straight down in awe at the beer sitting in my Duvel tulip. I stare at the beer, not momentarily, but attentively, like a pre-teen boy examining his first vision of female breasts. “Wow,” I whisper to myself.

The hops are sharp, pungent, bitter and very powerful. Sweet fruitiness first, slighty tart with lemons, grapefruit and other citrus notes. Caramel corn, tangerine and a hint of the alcohol come through on the finish.

What makes this beer even more appealing is the fact that they mention Hemingway on the label. He is one of my authors and was a brilliant brilliant man.

Did you know that Hemingway killed himself with the same shotgun that his father killed himself with and guess who has the shotgun now? Hemingway's son. Weird huh?

This beer blew me away.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

New bottle as compared to the picture. Current one has a fish on it. Looks like a lake trout maybe.
A really nice mix of malt and hops with a pleasing sweetness of fruity peach combined with a flowery grassy hops.
Orangish amber slightly cloudy. Head settles to a white layer that leaves plenty of lacing.
Starts with a bitingly strong hop bitterness, but moves very quickly to a softer bitterness with more citrus and just before finish a very light sweetness appears that lasts just for a moment before finishing with a long somewhat sour and slightly citrus conclusion.
Feel is nice and soft throughout.
Masala Mama has strong similarities to this. The hops here are more grassy and a little more biting, and the malt isn't as prominent and not quite as tasty. However, this is a beer deserving of its ranking.

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

Notes from my Bell's tasting:
Poured a nice golden orange with a medium sized white head. Aroma is very interesting. Hops are abundant, plus there is a hint of some spice maybe. Taste is very well balanced. I half expected a massive hop hit, but the hops were well constrained by a nice malty base. The finish shows off the IBU's of this baby. It's a very well crafted brew and super drinkable as well.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

This is certainly an interesting beer. I liked it a lot better on draught, here I'm having it from the bottle. Maybe its an older bottle?? I have no idea. I'm not getting any of the centennial hops that people claim are in here.

Anyway, little disapointed with the appearance of this beer. Its bottle conditioned and the yeast isn't very flocculant...pretty powedery actually. There was definately a ton of very fine particles in the beer even after careful transportation and pouring. The nose is nice...quite spicy, can't put my finger on the type of hops used, but nice and spicy. Taste is nice as well. A little something weird going on, not quite sure what it is. The hops are quite spicy and bitterness seems quite high, but there might be something else in there as well...can't put my finger on it...wheat maybe?? I doubt it.

Pretty drinkable beer all in all.

4.42/5  rDev +3.5%

This is a fantastic beer, a creation of unique balances and style. The only unanswered question this beer suggests is whether or not it should be defined as an IPA. Some of its properties are inconsistent with a strict interpretation of the style. While I have a lot of respect for defined beer styles, I also just like a well proportioned beer of any design. I drank this beer on tap and never saw a bottle, so I can't say whether or not this beer chooses to define itself as an IPA. Regardless, this review will emphasize content over category.

Bell's Two Hearted is pale and clear, almost lager-like with its sunny gold color and nice thready lace. The pint I drank had a thin head with sustained carbonation and good head retention. But the standout feature is a creaminess, not so much to the mouthfeel, but to the taste. This, combined with a fruity malt profile, creates an ale with an abundance of character. There is a tremendous amount of flavor here, an unusual measure for a brew this pale.

This is a highly drinkable beer with a soft mouthfeel and a bright citrus-hop aroma. I'd call it a pale ale and not an IPA, but no matter. I'm told the creaminess is derived from a unique strain of yeast.

Special thanks to Felonius for pouring me this one when I visited Minneapolis.

4.52/5  rDev +5.9%

First, thanks to Feloniusmonk for hooking me up with this among several other Kalamazoo brews.
12 oz bottle with a fish on the label.
Pours a fairly clear (I've seen much clearer IPAs), light golden orange. At first glance I thought this was an odd color for an IPA, but the more I think about it the better it looks. THe head was nice and thick, leaving good lacing along the glass.
The smell is just fantastic. Piney, citrusy, and floral. The smell just screams IPA--Drink me!
The taste is mellow, very smooth, but you can certainly tell that this is no ordinary brew. Huge hops from beginning to end, there is some residual bitterness, but the sweetness from the malt undercuts it nicely without overpowering it.
There isn't much carbonation in this one, there is some but not enough to make it really pop for me.
I could see myself having more than one of these in a night and probably would if it were available around where I live. THis is a great IPA. I would very much like to have another...and another...and....

4.39/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a gold clear liquid with a white foamy, fluffy head. Smell is one of the best ever, strong flowery, grassy smell. Slight grainy smell also. You know what is about to happen. On the taste, you get a quick sweetness and then you are bombarded by bitter flowery goodness. Somehow this is a crisp and refreshing beer. Medium body, but this bottle had too much carbonation, as it felt a bit prickly. Very drinkable, I would certainly enjoy this again. I believe that this is the best IPA I have sampled yet.

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Yet another Bill Import. Bell's has classy labels, and this is yet another example. Poured from a 12oz bottle, yielding a gorgeously clear straw colored ale with active carbonation and a wonderful crown of pristine white foam.

The aroma is a pleasing mix of grass fields and flowers, and does not overpower in any sense. In fact, its a bit of a job just getting a full whiff.

The taste is crisp with bitterness and carbonation, sweet with maltiness, and satisfying in its balanced delivery. The bitterness accumulates on the palate, demanding your mouth have more. Who am I to argue?

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle offered a lot of 'Fsss-s-t' when the cap came off.

Clear golden color with thick creamy white head;
A definate clean hop aroma when poured into the glass.

First flavor was citrus hop, with a smooth lingering clean hop aftertaste. Not overly hopped, easily drinkable.

4.77/5  rDev +11.7%

I can't believe I found this in PA ! Let's see what ya'll midwesterners are hooting and hollering about. One note here - this bottle is covered in dust, and I have no idea how long it was sitting on the shelf. Really, start a petition out there or something to get Bell's to start labeling dates. If it's of any relevance, it has what looks like the first half of a brook trout on the label; it's not the same one on the website.

This thing essentially exploded out of the bottle. Its a very pretty orange gold hue with HUGE white head that rises quicker than anything I've ever seen. Oh wow. I can smell it already.

This is the best smelling nose I've ever had. I don't even want to drink it. I just wanna sit here and sniff. When you say floral hops, this is what you should compare it to. Really though. If this were a perfume, I'd make my girl wear it everyday for ever.

Taste. Oh wow. That's awesome. It's so smooth and approachable. This is why I think it might be aged. It's not the hop monster I expected. Or if it is, the hops are so sweet and delicate that I am going insane. This is good because it lacks the heavy maltfeel every other IPA has. It's not an amber bombed with hops, its lighter in color and lighter in mouthfeel. I can't believe the balance. There's great carbonation, but it's so smooth I would have missed it if I didn't hold it up to the light. Erotic magazines....erotic tangerines.... (sorry but I just watched the funniest movie ever--Run Ronnie Run-- go rent it and pop a sixer--hilarious) Holy crap. Strange and delicious fruit. This beer is AWESOME ! It's like drinking your prom date's floral arrangement.

Mouthfeel: heaven.

What is it with new strange beers from across the country usurping my hometown hero, Victory? This is better than Hop Devil. Different for sure. My new favorite IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – Light orange in color and hazy with a big, beautiful head that showed excellent retention and left tons of lacing alongside my Ruination glass. The frothing foam just oozed along the glass like The Blob chasing turtles over an ice rink.

Smell – This one has a very balanced nose. The complex hops (predominantly floral, I think) are soft yet clearly steer this conga line. The malt base is just right and complimented with some light, grainy sugars. The lovely fruiting is here as well. I especially enjoyed the tangerine/grapefruit combination.

Taste – Don’t rate this one too quickly or you’ll miss it. In taking my time with this (it is my first rating of the night) and I find the balance to be almost seamless.

The citrus hops lead things off and, again, steer more than dominate. There’s a slight bitter pine note at the very end, like the final strike of a piano key at the end of a well-played symphony. In the middle are the time-keeping malty drums, ensuring that the flavors come out in the right sequence and the proper strength. The fruity chorus pleases the pallet, bringing purpose to the other flavors.

Mouthfeel – Bell’s could have chosen to make this a bit heavier, but they opted for session over sensationalism. I like the heavy-hitters just as much as the next hophead, but the body here was right on target. It’s medium at best with a very slight bittering at the end.

Drinkability – Not only was this a pleasure to consume but, believe it or not, it was quite the educational experience. They took a very interesting angle in putting this one together and, like TheBum alluded to, it must have been like constructing the Eiffel Tower. Great job – a true work of art!

Comments:

When you live out West,
and you only want the best,
who ya gonna call?

When you’re thirst is in need of quenchin’,
who ya gonna mention?
OldFrothingSlosh!

He takes care with his selection,
and pays particular attention,
to all your style faves.

He’s known from coast to coast,
as the man who gives the most,
when you trade with him . . it always pays!

Give it up for the man. OFS is in da’ house!

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Looks like i got a new version of the bottle, mine has a fish on it.

This one poured out a cloudy orange body, with lots of little bubbles. Big bubbly white head topping it off. The scent is sticky hop sap and some citrus notes as well. The taste is a big whack of oily hop blast. Good aftertaste. A pretty good beer, a hopheads delight.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

12oz brown bottle. No freshness date.
It pours a wonderful honey amber color with a medium-sized white head and a fair amount of trailing and sticky lace.
A big blast of floral hops is noticed upon opening the bottle and increases in intensity during the pour. Citrusy hops and a faint malt smell emerge briefly, then fade. The floral hop aroma remains.
A lightly sweet biscuity malt flavor meekly sets the table for the abundance of hop flavors. Grapefruit, lemons, orange zest and limes make up a jowl clinching citrusy hit. A mild metallic bite and some peppery spices act as seasonings for this potently charged IPA.
Had the Brits invented this stuff during their colonization of India, they'd be flying the Union Jack in Bombay today.
Thanks to Feloniousmonk!

4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

This one is a cloudy gold drink with a very pale head that soon subsides to a thin lacy blanket on the top.

The interesting think about this one, to me, is the smell. At first whiff i got a floral hop aroma but upon closer examination I am getting a really strong movie popcorn butter smell. This is very interesting and i don't know if this is supposed to be present. I will now drink, minding the unpoped kernels.

Yeah, its there. There is the usual malt taste and the bitterness of the hops, but in the for-ground is a taste of movie popcorn butter. It is not exactly unpleasant, but it is very present and kind of grabs all the tasters attention. I am not sure i appreciate it in there.

I will have to give this one another try. Although it is a decent beer, I wonder how the butter taste works into it. I think the drinkability suffers from it.

UPDATE.

Having acquired a new bottle of this from the famous FM, I am re-reviewing it with more positive results.

A bloomy could of bulbous head on a Dusty gold liquid. Head recedes leaving a moon like surface. Hops are very apparent and makes the mouth water.

There is an odd background smell that reminds me of drywall mud. The head is clinging and very attractive.

Mouth is amazingly smooth. Perfect balance. Sweet and tangy and reminds me a lot of Arrogant Bastard. Mouth waters after first drink and mouth-feel is great. Drinkability is A-one!

el

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz bottle, pours light orange and very clear. White head which quickly went to a tiny bubble film and left nice linear lacing. Nose is piney hops. Taste is also dominated by strong, piney, grainy, resiny hop flavors. Grapefuit, lemon, pine, melon and honey on the tongue. Enough of a malt center to add balance. Medium bodied, fairly thin mouthfeel. A well crafted and enjoyable American style IPA.

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured a hazy golden amber with a respectable off-white head. Head initially appeared creamy, but soon the bubbles grew larger...almost spongey looking. Head eventually fell back to about a quarter inch which stayed around quite a while, leaving a good bit of lace down the glass.

Smell was at first fruity. I thought I smelled apples in the first whiff, but then couldn't find them on the second sniff. Next I got a nosefull of heavily floral, citrusy hops... almost too flowery!

Flavor was sweet malt at first, then the HOPS kick in! Again, floral flavor first, then spicy, grapefruity bitterness. Aftertaste had a definite orange-peel character that lingered a good, long while.

Mouthfeel was creamy and carbonation was just right. However, I couldn't imagine drinking a lot of these in a row!

I imagine that 2 months ago I wouldn't have liked this much. But, over the last 2 months, I've sampled a lot of different brews and I can tell that my tastes are maturing. I think I'd like to re-review this about a year from now and see what I think of it then!

4.62/5  rDev +8.2%

Apperance: Pours a golden hue with yeast clouding the glass. A thick stiff white head appears and falls within a minute or two leaving white lace around the rim.

Smell: Aroma of citrusy hops that lingers in the nose. This thing smells delicious.

Taste: Storng malt flavor followed by a very citrus/grapefuit hoppy flavor. A little bitter at the end kind of sharp but the aftertaste lingers of hops and dries out the mouth nicely.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation. This beer floats down your throat and leaves you wanting more.

Drinkability: A very drinkable brew that goes down very easily, you could drink this beer all year long.

Apparently two hearted is now a yearlong brew. If this is true expect some quality drinking all year.

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

This brew poured a very murky orange color with a white foamy head that settled down to a thick sheet. Lacing was all over the place.
The aroma had a lot going on. Lots of citrus coming through along with a strong floral hop aroma. While hops mostly dominated the nose their was a very powerful sweet malt backbone. A strong alcohol spice was also present.
The taste was great. A beautifully balanced beer. The first sip hits with a big bready malt flavor. Lots of pale malt and an overall biscuity flavor. This is followed by huge hop kick with lots of grapefruit leading to a slightly bitter finish. A little bit of alcohol spiciness lingers into the aftertaste.
This beer has sort of a creamy mouthfeel and goes down real smooth. Very drinkable. Its a shame I can't get this here.

Big thanks to feloniousmonk for sending this my way.

3.97/5  rDev -7%

Poured a orange/amber with a frothy white head and considerable lacing. The smell was pine and citrus bigtime. The taste was piney, acidic, citrusy but just too astringent for my taste. The first couple of sips were a little jarring, but once my taste buds got comfortable I started to feel the overall balance and crispness of the brew. Still, a little too heavy on the citrus aspect and after about 2 I was done. This is a great IPA but I did not find this to be my favorite style of IPA overall -- there is something different between the East Coast brewer's IPA's (Sly Fox, Victory) and the West Coast (other area's) which I can't put my finger on but I know I like the East Coast's IPA brews better (more balance, malt, not as much citrus/acidic taste?).

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It pours a hazy honey orange, an almost vibrant hue. A puffy off-white head swells then settles gradually to a bubble-specked pond of uneven froth. There's considerable amorphous lacing.

The aroma brings a dense fragrance of pine, along with sweet berry notes skittering about the edges. Dry citrus flits between the more dominant elements, along with a decided but slinky malt sweetness.

On first sip the malt sweetness asserts itself immediately on the tongue, only to be swept aside by an astringent and spicy grapfruit assault. Pine and floral tones intermingle through the middle, as well as a gentle baked-dough warmth. Hops dominate toward the end, with a genuine deciduous bitterness along the back ridge of the tongue. The hops are more poignant, but the malt character evens the scales impressively.

Medium bodied, the flavor is distributed with a buttery feel, pillowing on the palate, then leaving a healthy and pleasant hops tingle on the tongue.

My eternal appreciation to kwalters for getting this one to me!
There's malt to spare, but the hops are the headliner here. Everything about this splendid brew draws attention to the piney hops presence and results in a simple and balanced treat. Calling it drinkable would be a considerable understatement, as the crisp flavors dare you to stop at just one. And as with potato chips, you just can't. But then, why would you want to when you know how good the next one will be? The reputation is well earned, delivering in grand style across the board. Certainly, in this case, Two Hearts are better than one.

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a semi-hazy golden orange color with a tall foamy white head that slowly dissipates into a heavy and rocky lace. Nose is floral hops and fruity esters (grapefruit, tangerine, and peach) along with a bit of fresh grain. Medium in body with a good deal of active carbonation, though the initial zestiness becomes more creamy towards the finish. Taste begins with some sweet malt quickly followed by a doughy and biscuity flavor. A lot of fruit bitterness is present towards the end with notes of grapefruit and a bit of lemon rind. Nice IPA here—just wish it was available locally. Thanks to feloniousmonk for the sample!

4.79/5  rDev +12.2%

This is an exceptional brew, to be sure. Before ever having taken a sip I was already enamoured by the great label, the local brewery (I'm in Michigan), and the fantastic name. The Two Hearted is a great trout stream in Michigan's upper pennisula. It also happens to be one of Hemmingway's favorites. Very cool!

Two Hearted pours like liquid gold with slight hints of orange and copper color. The wonderful flowery aroma is instantly noticeable. Drink this stuff out of a brandy snifter because you'll most definately want to stick your nose inside to soak up the scents. If you could bottle spring air, this is what it would smell like.

Now for the taste. The first sensation your tongue gets is the same as the one picked up by your olfactory nerves. Flowery, hoppy, delicious. There's also plenty of citrus flavors to enjoy as well. In fact, if Two Hearted smells like spring air, it surely tastes the way I imagine fresh orange blossoms would.

Try a bottle (or six!). You'll be belching pleasant flower burps for the rest of the evening!

3.37/5  rDev -21.1%

First of all, I'm not a big fan of IPAs, but being a sport, I try everything.
The appearance of this beer was a cloudy light brown with an orange tinge. The head was white and foamy with lacing to the end of the beer. I like the smell, it's flowery. The taste was bitter I definitely didn't like the aftertaste. It was a little less bitter when it was warmer. The mouthfeel was good, it went down easily, normal carbonation and relatively light. Again, I'm not a fan of IPAs, and I most likely won't have another one of these.

5/24/04: Wrong, I had another.

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a great hoppy beer. It is a hazy light orange with a thin head that laced the glass all the way to the bottom. The floral hoppy fragrance is incredible, as is the taste. It is a very drinkable beer with a good mouthfeel. I think it's time for another.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store