Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,490 | Ratings: 14,039
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Appearance - Pale, hazy gold with 2 1/2 inches of froth upon first pour. The head retains well and never completely disappears.

Smell - Fruity and floral; aromas of lemon, grapefruit and orange with subtle notes of pine. The nose is all hops with very little presence from the malt, which is exactly how I like my IPAs.

Taste & mouthfeel - More of a pine flavor than the aroma suggests. Fruity notes are present but subdued. The malt backbone is dry and light; it's little more than a foundation for the hops. Light on the palate and very crisp, this is highly drinkable stuff. Unfortunately for me I only have one bottle. The finish is oily and resiny but easy on the palate, leaving a pleasant hoppy bitterness with very little bite.

Notes - Easily one of the better IPAs I've had. Many thanks to dyan for the chance to try this great beer.

3.41/5  rDev -20%

Opening with a sweet apricot aroma and a orange presence accompanied with chalky foam, this IPA matches a hefeweizen's sweetness with a big blast of hops, which works considerably well... most of the time.
This floral little beer invigorates the tastebuds with scintillating hop undertones and the bitterness of orange peel and lemon, which is an intriguing combination but not a completely satisfying one. It'll make a hop addict yearn for the close, but a wheat beer aficionado will be confused by the bitter aftertaste. I, myself, wanted something more along the lines of an Arrogant Bastard or Nugget Nectar, while this strange little brew left me confused and distracted.

3.52/5  rDev -17.4%

A: Light copperish golden color almost like that of a lager.

S: Hop smell doesn't dominate but makes it self known. Alcohol is very present. Orange rind, melon, floral, herbal tea, sweat cream and molasses. Spices can be detected as well.

T: Actually pretty tasty. Not a dominating IPA, but certainly not lacking either. Carbonated up front, and has a nice spicy taste that lingers long after you're done with your drink. Very tart finish. Crisp.

M: As mentioned before, very carbonated but oddly it has a creamy feel going down.

D: I wouldn't have more than two of these at a sitting, but would be a nice beer to keep in the fridge for a cold night.

Revisted because I really like this bottle.

A- Golden, murky and glowing. Half inchl head, leaves fast, thick webby lacing persists.

S - Floral with deep malt back.

T - Very sweet thick malt up front taken fairly quickly by bitter hops. Hops still on the floral perfume side of the scale.

M - Medium body, good carb, good mouthfeel.

D - Nice beer.

NOTE: This was re edited after a revisit about a year after the first experience. Whether it was my developing palate, or that the second beer was much fresher, I didn't feel my original review did it justice.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Draft. Orange color with slightly off white head. Lots of citrus on the aroma. Some sweeetness. The flavor is full of hops with a nicely balanced sweetness some citrus. Finish is long and bitter. This is a really nice drinking IPA that would be easy to drink all night.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

(Bottle into Semi-Chilled Pint Glass)

Appearance: Light Orange Hue with Full and Lasting Cream-Colored Head--Clouding a Bit Upon Pouring in the Last of the Sediment. Thick Lace.

Smell: Delicious Floral Scents of Fresh Hops (Grassy/Piney)

Taste: Great Balance Between Underlying 'Bready' Maltiness and its Predominant Earthy Hop Character.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Bodied, Quite Smooth with a Semi-Clean Finish. Perfect Carbonation.

Drinkability: Its Freshness and Smoothness Make This One to Enjoy Over and Over Again. 7% ABV Also Makes for a Cool Buzz.

Other: Very Impressed, a Must Try for any Hop-Head!

3.58/5  rDev -16%

Poured from tap to pint glass in a bar in Kalamazoo, MI.

Brilliant golden color with a cloudy chill haze, very good head and lots of lace held on the glass. Loads of citrus in the nose with a little bit of grain. Very sharp bitter hop bite jumps out first, but surprisingly not much malt balance comes through. All bitter grapefruit citrus flavor, but almost seems metallic without a sweeter foundation. This beer comes off a little astringent. Medium-bodied, good carbonation. Definitely good to get your hop craving out of this beer, but a little too harsh to go for more than one or two. I know this beer gets outstanding reviews, but I can't put it at the top of my IPA lists. But all in all, not a bad IPA.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Light gold with a slight haze. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass producing a very light white head, eventually reducing to thing ring. Minimal lacing.

S: Nice floral hoppy smell, but on the lighter side.

T: A good long pull spreads a decent bit of pale malt over the tongue that rather quickly gives way to the sharpness of the hops. There is some bittering but more flavor in the hops. There is a pretty good hop bitterness left behind in the finish.

M&D: Medium weight in the mouth but generally light taste. Abundant carbonation but not overly so. Smooth going down.

This is a good strong IPA. I was a little thrown by the fish on the bottle, but hey, I haven't been disappointed with any of the Bell's brews to date. This was no exception. This bottle just seemed to go down exceedingly smooth and left me looking for the next. Recommended.

A: came to me in a bells glass with a beautiful copper orange color and thin foamy head that left quickly leaving some nice lacing on the glass

S: smell of grapefruit and citrus with some grassiness and touch of malt

T: i agree that this has a very clean and tart taste. the citrus hits you first coming next with the hop bitterness and pine that tingles the tongue and then the bread and malt like tones finish off the taste.

M: lighter than many IPA's at this alcohol level. crisp and clean with a good amount of carbonation

D: very good IPA but not on the top of my list. I could definitely drink this one again to re-rate since I didn't feel it lived up to its hype.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

On tap at Jose Pistolas, poured hazy copper, amber, orange... Smells of citrusy and floral hops, caramel presence, too. The head was frothy and off white, it dissipated a bit and left alright lacing. Tasted of hops balanced with some sweetness of citrus and caramel. Great mouthfeel and highly drinkable. After having this, I need to find some Hopslam.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at the Old Town Draught House.

This is a delicious and interesting IPA. It poured very nicely with a generous but not overdone head and a mild copper color. The taste was an explosion of citrus hops and grapefruit. It didn't have a strong malt backbone to provide balance, but the choice to keep out some of the more piney flavors makes this beer a very drinkable, warming, and refreshing IPA. I'd definitely drink it again.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

a: A yellow gold body, off-white head and good lacing.

s: mmm...that smells good. The smell of fresh grapefruit oozes from the hops of two hearted ale.

t: Pale malt makes a brief cameo, but this beer is all about the hops. Great fresh hop flavor. Grapefruit dominates, but pine is in there too. Terrific flavor, good stuff.

m: Medium body, carbonation is just right.

d: This is what American IPAs are all about. I could drink this all night (and have). I am so glad we can get Bell's in Columbia.
This is my favorite of Bell's year-round beers.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Another awesome IPA extra from autumnaldave!

Pours a hazy golden/amber color, good size head with some lacing.

Smell has a strong floral hop aroma, pretty much all I can make out, there is a slight citrus aroma accompanied by a fruity ester, but it is pretty subtle.

Taste is initially hoppy but slowly mellows out in taste while in the mouth, might have to do with the creaminess of the beer, goes down smooth and crisp, leaves a nice bitter linger long after drinking. I have a hard time believing this is 7.0% as the alcohol content is very well hidden.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Great brew. Aroma is heavy hops with apple and a dash of oak. Pours a dark yellow with a frothy off-white head with excellent lacing. Taste is beautifully IPA with a nice bitter finish over its long duration. Light to medium body, creamy mouthfeel with something just south of lively carbonation. A nice warming finish. Leaves me feeling exceptionally refreshed, I could drink a lot of this stuff!

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle shows a fish on it... after a few, it makes for interesting conversation... anyway...
A - poured a deep copper with a smallish white head that laced but didn't last.
S - picked up some floral and citrus, nice and strong.
T - good kick of bitter piney hops.
M - Some citrus aftertaste, the bitter holds the tongue.
D - Very enjoyable, I blew through the 6 pack quicker than I expected, must go get more.

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

12 oz bottle received in a trade with Jay23 Thanks for the opportunity.

Pours a slightly cloudy amber color with a fluffy white head that leaves lots of lacing as it drinks. Aroma is all hops. Spicey, piney, grapefruity hops in all their glory. Taste is more hops with a little malt struggling to get through. Medium mouthfeel and ample carbonation round this brew out well. Pretty good IPA. I couldn't drink to many of these, but nice brew just the same.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this several times and haven't reviewed it for some reason. Perhaps I was just making an excuse to have it again. Color is a bright amber with a chunky white head. Lacing like crazy here. Smell is of fresh, crisp hops. Very complex. A vast array of fruits meet the nose, though mostly citrus. One of the most fragrant beers I've had (though HopSlam takes the grand prize there). Taste is loaded with bitter hops, though remains well balanced considering how hoppy it is. Medium body with satisfactory carbonation. Definitely one I will return to again and again, especially because it seems to show itself in unexpected places.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Awesome IPA, nice story behind it too. As American IPA's get more and more popular, I think it's important to recognize this one as one of the early wave makers. Pours a wonderful sticking head, smells perfect, tastes reaaal nice. What is really weird, is flashing-back to my days of beer ignorance and trying this beer for the first time thinking what a bitter smelly beer! Now IPA's are my fav.

Pours a light copper orange with thins foamy head that beautifully laces down the glass.

Smells of citrus hops with some light malt. Suprisingly clean aroma for an IPA. Tastes almost sweet, not tart like some IPAs. The citrusy hops bring out a more orange like flavor than the common grapefruit/piney flavor. Sweet malt compliments and makes this beer almost sessionable. Feels good, slightly thick. I only call this slightly thick because as easy as it is to drink I would excpect an almost watery lager like beer instead of an IPA at 7%.

I would get this beer again. Not the greatest IPA, but if I saw it on a menu or in the cooler I would put it in my choices.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

A. Ruby/brownwith thin head that leaves a lacing

S. orange wand grapefruit lead the citrusy smells

T. grapefruit and hoppy taste but not overpowering. dare i say, this may be a little smoother than the Nugget Nectar.

M. creamy with a little sharpness to it

D. Very drinkable. smooth and mild with great citrus flavors. Wasn't a big fan of IPA's before but they are difinitely growing on me and this is the best one yet by far

Honey orange hues with a fluffy white head. Aroma of orange zest and bubblegum. More of the same in flavor on a of soft malty backbone that straddles the line of dry and sweet. Medium body with a beautiful finish of delicate hops redolent of orange blossoms.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

L:Clear orange brownish color. One finger white frothy head.
S:Excellent fresh grapefruit. In the middles it smells like fresh cut grash. Very resiny. Just a touch of biscuit.
T:Light caramel fullness all throughout. Big citrusy creamy grapefruit hoppiness.
M:Rich fat bubbles give it an awesome round feeling. Very creamy
D:This is by far one of the most well balanced IPA's. I love this beer, I can sit down a drink a ton of this.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Recently scored this from a friend returning from MN. This one took me by surprise, as one new to Bell's I was not sure what to expect.

The appearance was slightly hazy with a light amber hue.
The thing that really surprised me about this beer was the smell. It reminded me of the sweet piney aroma of a DIPA but in a very drinkable single IPA.
The taste was unfortunately not as nice as the aroma suggested, it felt a little unbalanced to me possibly in the malt department.
This is my ideal summer beer

UPDATE:
After having this beer a few more times from my initial tasting almost a year ago, I have a completely different view of it. I realize now I was being overly critical of this beer especially when it came to the malts used. I think I was looking at Two Hearted Ale as a DIPA when I should have been looking at it as it truly is; a beautifully clean and satisfying IPA with an excellent balance of bitterness and floralness. I have to say this is one of my favorite beers now and most certainly my favorite IPA. Too bad for me I can only get it when my roommate goes home.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

This is my first review, so bear with me.

12 oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a hazy, ruddy orange color, almost amber with a 1/2 inch head that dissipates after a few moments. Minor amount of lacing.

S: Lots o' citrus. kind of reminds me of the smell of orange juice that has been reduced, with a healthy amount of floral hops tossed in.

T: Much like the smell, some very nice hoppiness accented by the citrus sweetness and balanced out nicely with some earthy malt. Aftertaste is fantastic. Not too bitter, but defiantly a noticeable floral hops flavor that lingers for quite a while.

M: Pretty light in body, same with carbonation. I don't think this diminishes the beers quality though. Not as overwhelming as many of the IPAs I have had are. Has a nice crispness to it.

D: I could drink these just about anywhere at anytime, but particularly when I am eating something spicy.

I was never much of an IPA guy until I had this, and it is still my favorite. I would recommend it to anyone.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper body with a large, foamy white head.

Smell: Pale malt aroma with notes of flowers, zesty citrus, and cooked pineapple rings.

Taste: Pale maltiness with a light touch of caramel sweetness. Fruity, even juicy citrus and pineapple flavors. Moderate bitterness and acidity. Crisp, relatively clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A fine example of an IPA!

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.