Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |
Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,446 | Ratings: 13,821
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

On-tap at Speakeasy in Carrboro, NC. I've had a few bottles of this and enjoyed it but this was first time on tap and finally felt compelled to review it.

A: A cloudy amber with a dense off white head.
S:: Typical IPA smell, lots of hops, citrus and floral, very strong and appealing
T: I don't know, it's delicious. Doesn't taste like typical IPA, hops are well balanced with maltiness and citrus flavors.
M: Much thicker and creamier on tap than I remember the bottle being. Medium carbonation, alcohol is well hidden, not overly bitter or dry in aftertaste.
D: I really like this a lot and am curious to taste this again in a bottle since I wasn't so impressed with it before I had it on tap.

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a nice hazy copper with a delicious 1 1/2 finger sticky white head. Smell is amazing citrus/ pine, just an amazing and tranquil experience. Taste is mind-blowing as well. Citrus splash with the absolute balance of piney hops to send you wanting more with every sip. The absolute best ipa I have ever had. A complete pleasure to be experienced. Mouth feel is perfectly balance with carbination and thickness totally coinciding for a great mix. I could definately drink this IPA all day long.. I am totally amazed by Bell's 2 hearted...

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks of a reddish amber with a decent head that sticks around. Smells of citrusy hops and sweet malt. The taste of this beer blows me away. It is quite tasty with citrus flavors of orange and grapefruit. The malt backbone holds strong keeping the strong hops in balance. All around maybe one of my favorite IPAs for its unique taste.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Golden copper haze with a fluffy, white, foamy head.

I smell hops, hops, citrus and hops. God damn, this tastes so frigging good. It's so smooth with little to no aftertaste.

I could drink this beer all day. Besides Dreadnaught and Furious, this is the best IPA I've ever had.

If you're tired of playing around with IPAs, or beer in general, go grab a few cases of this. I have to go back across the border to get more next weekend.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a pretty foggy amber with a decent off white head. I could get a good whiff of this one even before I had poured it out of the bottle. Nose is perfumed pine hops. Flavor is a mouthful of hops that stays consistent. Thick hop flavors just stay with you. Feel has a good carbonation to it and a the liquid is pretty good as well. Overall this is a very good IPA. Definitely one for the hop heads.

4.73/5  rDev +11%

Unbelievable IPA here.

Nice hazy orange, nice foamy head. Looks really good.

Smells delicious as well. Very citrusy and hoppy, lots of grapefruit here. Very sharp and crisp smelling.

Extremely juicy citrusy hops on this with a small malt to back it up but this is mostly hops. Nice, crisp, sharp, clean citrusy hops....very nice.

The only thing that keeps this from being a true session beer is the 7%. Any more than 3-4 of these and I'd be fading out.

An excellent brew, excellent...This is one of my all time favorite brews....

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Lovely clear orange color w/ a fantastic head. The head dwindles to a sticky lace throughout the life of the beer. Outstanding aroma w/ tangerine, lemon-lime, and grapefruit notes. It smells like a west-coast IPA, but better. The taste is phenomenal. The hops hit you over the head like an anvil from 12 stories. Great bitterness, but not too much. This beer showcases the flavors that the Centennial hop can provide. Citrus is an understatement. I like the type of citrus flavors w/ tangerine/orange flavors combined w/ a nice sharp grapefruit bite. A little piney at times too. The hops just dominate this brew. The malts are present, but not the star of the show. The mouthfeel is pretty solid for an IPA. Not too heavy, not too light.

Drinkable doesn't describe this beer. It is a staple. I wish I had this in my fridge all the time. It has incredible complexity and outstanding balance for an IPA. A must have for any beer drinker.

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%

A wonderful beer, I feel obligated to buy one whenever I come across it. Pours a somewhat hazy, copper orange, with a strong, citrusy, hoppy aroma. A modest head leaves a thin, clingy lace. Very intense hop flavor. A bit of a palate buster due to the high hoppiness, but expected from the style, and drinkability doesnt suffer.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Very nice color and clear with a good head. First whiff tells me there are plenty of hops - some pine and slight citrus notes. The first taste is pleasing bitter hops that are like the smell, pine and slight citrus. Very light malt body with a slight hint of roasted caramel malt. Very satisfying and easy to drink. This is a definitely a session beer and an excellent IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Just pouring this beer made me think to myself 'damn, why didn't I drink more of this when it was more readily available?!'

A - Golden hazy in color with a creamy head that teases the top of the glass. Foam hangs around for a while and leaves almost chunks behind and an unevenly laced glass.

S - Yum! A bunch of sweet, a bit citrus, and hops! Wrap that up with a bit of malty caramel. Such a lovely beer

T - Sweet hops and caramelly malts. This beer tugs at your heart strings in both directions.... hmm Two Hearted Ale. Now I get it!

M - Smooth with some carbonation. Not dry. Not a huge aftertaste, but you won't forget it. Really great beer.

D - Drink ability? YES! Bring me another case and another for tomorrow. I don't wanna share! Now leave me alone so I can enjoy my beer!

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

This was from a 1.3 gallon "mini-keg" purchased from a liquor store.

The ale poured a golden, clear orange color with a sustained white head with ample lacing on the conic pint glass.

As I released the vent on the top of the keg the surge of air brought a intoxicating grapefruity hop aroma. This aroma remained evident in the glass as well.

With all of the strong northwest, domestic hop aroma, one would expect a strongly hoppy flavor with a slight malt background. This ale is beautifully balanced between the hop and malt. The gentle hop flavor lingers on the tongue after an initial soft maltiness.

Very good carbonation and a slick mouthfeel from the keg.

This is truly a beautifully balanced beer. It is difficult to believe this ale is 7.0 % ABV. If it were not for the high ABV, this would be a perfect 5.0 for a session ale. Seek out this one. In the Louisville, KY area, you can find it at the Liquor Barns. In southern Indiana, "The Keg" liquor store in Clarkesville stocks this as well.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Reviewed from notes

A- Hazy, golden with nice white head.

S- Floral hop aromas

T- Hoppy with citrus and pine. Decent balanced but not a lot of malt flavors coming through.

M- Smooth with good body.

D- 7% so you can't drink too many.

Pretty good IPA. Definately stands up to others I have had.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

This tasting possible from a trade with NDPDuke, Thank you

P: 12 oz. brown longneck bottle Pours a slightly hazy yellow-orange pour with an intense finger of white foam that lowers slowly to a thin cover and huge lacing to the very bottom of the glass.

S: Bright grapefruit pith, green grass and slightly sweet.

T: Burst of crisp grapefruit pith, not too bitter, that explodes in the mouth that has a nice malt body. The aftertaste is amazing!

M: A joy for the mouth as the grapefruit pith is not an overkill the malts hold up the hops and the tongue is left a with a nice dry taste on the tongue and a great aftertaste on the tongue.

D: This is a great IPA session beer that I only wish my brother-in-law, who lives in MI, would drink instead of can after can of the Bud! I have a mission before me when I visit this spring!
If you should see this on the shelves when looking for a great beer GRAB IT!

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a beautiful amber/orange hue with a good sized pearl white head. The head collapses fairly quickly, but this beer leaves some of the best lacing on the sides of the pint glass that I've seen. The nose makes itself known while pouring the beer into the pint glass. Heavy scents of pine, ripe grapefruit, and orange rind. The floral nose is well done and matches perfectly with the taste. The flavor profile is the winner for me here. Starts out with bitter hops but the delicate pale malt comes into play to round out the bitterness. Fresh citrus fruit flavor, pine, and the sweet malt just work so well. Medium body and medium carbination leaves a slight dry sensation after the drink. The mouthfeel is actually a little creamy as well. I could drink this pretty much anytime of the year. Great offering from Bell's.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

The aroma of this beer hits you the moment you begin to pour it. It pours a lovely somewhat hazy peach-tinged pale orange gold. Paler than I expected, with a nice creamy white two finger head which faded quickly to a thin covering that actually rebuilds when the glass is agitated. Lacing was minimal but present.

The aroma as I said hits you right away, big, citrusy, floral and even hoppily bitter. It's the stongest aroma from any beer I've tried yet. I smelled oranges, grapefruit, tangerines and even peach all in a big floral hoppy breath.

As it warms the taste takes off. There is a big bitter hoppy presence on the finish but the strong malt backbone balances it perfectly. The flavor of grapefruit and citrus dominates but not in a bad way, all the flavors blend in a wonderful balance, from the strong pale malt backbone (perhaps a bit biscuity) to the big citrusy hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel is also the creamiest of any beer I've had yet. It's medium bodied with a fine carbonation. Smooth and perhaps slick as well.

This beer grows on me the more I drink it. It's very different from other IPAs I've had, and that's a good thing. Variety and quality is what good beer is all about. This beer is also strong but the alcohol is completely invisible, which is a nod to the the craft that went into brewing this beer. Highly recomended!

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice cloudy copper color with a thick head that stays for a while.

S - Good hop smell with some citrus scents.

T - Strong hop flavor with some good bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Good beer. I like this one a lot.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Yummy. I was expecting more of a hop-overloaded blast of this after hearing about it. Hops obviously dominate, however I was impressed with the balance in this. Smells of grapefruit and hops. Taste is grapefruity, gets a little more grassy as it warms, but supported by a nice malt backbone. The sensations of freshly baked bread and oranges, and a sort of nice woody flavor are also apparent. This has none of the off-flavors that I've come across in some heavily-hopped pale ales. Very nice substantial mouthfeel, and the 7% abv is completely hidden. This beer is solidly well-done and really grows on you.

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

huge hop taste, big malt back, floral aroma, two fingers of head,rings and rings of lace beautiful color, tastes of floral hops, and a nutty, earthy malt back. great beer, slighly out of balance but a good ipa really shuld be. best ipa i have had to date.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

A- Good appearance. Golden with a hint of red, one finger head that takes a while to settle and laces well around the edges.

S- Nice hops smell. Touch of grapefruit because of the hops.

T- Excellent taste, very good IPA. Complex and rich full flavor.

M- Good mouthfeel, slightly bitter (good thing) with a touch more of a bite at the end (also good thing)

D- A good beer, with good drinkablity for an IPA. Because of the bitterness and the bite, not a good session beer.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Clear (is this Bell's?!?) copper colored body sports a thin layer of foamy head aided by generous lacing.

Brown sugar-laced grapefruit comprises the hop profile here. A flowery bouquet fames a sweet malt body.

An even-keeled approach to a highly-hopped style. The restraint is impressive and sophisticated. Sweet and spicy hops mingle with an orange flesh/caramel malt body. Finishing bitterness is tempered by a sweetness that must be a byproduct of an enhanced grain bill. The sweetness eventually builds to become a touch cloying.

A bit slick although that's not entirely unexpected given the hop content. Perhaps overly thick as well.

I enjoy this a good deal although I sincerely question whether or not I could drink more than two in a sitting without getting tired of

Very nice, pale copper color with a decent head. Nice grassy and citrusy aroma. Blast of bitterness though not overwhelming. Moderate amount of grapefruit flavor. Good malty flavor to go along with the high bitterness. Nice malty body. The whole thing is quite well balanced. Very drinkable and enjoyable. Damn good US IPA.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

This is one of my favorite beers to begin with. It is now avalable as a 1.35 gal mini keg.

I am not sure if it is conditioned in the can or not. I believe by appearance and taste it is.

It pours almost still with a thin lacey head. It is quite coudy which argues in favor of cask conditioning.nice orange color.

iT has a bright fruit hop aroma. with a pleasing hop bite at first sip and a good chew to it's mouthfeel. nice piney and graprfruit finish.

a great beer made better by being "REAL"
I enjoyed the cask over 4 days with pleasing results each day. the carbonation is lighter each day, but the flavors grew in complexity.

nice beer to study, I even tried a bottled one next to this and was surprsied by the vast differences. But I will let you investigate those on your own.
cheers.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. This is one damn fine example of an American IPA. Fine craftsmanship here.

A: Pale yellow or a hazy orange. Poured vigorously and the head was a good 2 fingers. Nice lacing here as well.

S: Floral hop aroma with plenty of citrus burn on the back of the nose. Great.

T: This is one tremendous IPA. Hops are powerful and hit right to the taste without messing around. The balance was there and the citrus bitterness was tight.

M: Absolutely great coating from the oily hops that has such good texture.

D: The alcohol is hardly noticeable and it just goes down so smooth, I could drink these all night- wish I was able to get more out East. I put this one right on part with the 90 minute.

Definitely recommend, not much more to say. Thanks Jtrockchalk for this one, cant wait for more of these.

4.88/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 1.32 Gallon MINI KEG of Two Hearted! I had no idea they sold these and I had to buy it.

Bubbley off-white 2 finger head that leaves lacing all over the place. Hazy straw colored yellow, but with strong orange hues; a golden orange galaxy. Delicious citrusy aromas, where grapefruit seems to dominate the aroma hops. The hoppiness does not overpower some sweet maltiness that pulls through, even in the aroma. Same hop presence in the taste, but with a nice orange zest, balanced by the same sweet caramel, slightly bready maltiness that reminds me a little of the german malt profile common in oktoberfests. Hop oils leave a little bit of tanin feeling on your tounge. Yummy beer, very well carbonated. I have this 1.32 gallon keg between two of us for tonight...so pretty drinkable. I finish one and really want another. This is the IPA that I will use to judge every other IPA; so so close to perfect.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Pours a golden yellow hue with a 1.5 finger eggshell head which leaves a good amount of lacing when it fades. Not to much carbonation is visible.

S- Smells is prodomenately grapefruit and citrus hops, also there is a bready, malty backbone

T- Much more tame than I was expecting but in a good way. Exquisitely balanced grapefruit hops that end sweet and malty. I like this one because even though it has a defined hop presence, it really doesn't overpower anything.

M- Medium bodied, with carbonation a little on the low side for my tastes but this doesn't detract from the brew overall.

D- This is a hugely drinkable IPA. I love IPAs and DIPAs with the grapefruit/citrus hops and this one has that in spades. It's well balanced but my only beef with it is theres nothing that really jumps out and grabs me about it. Would be great (and deadly) to session.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.