Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 14,314 |  Reviews: 3,561

4.96/5  rDev +16.4%

4.81/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

ah, what a gem. it pours a beautiful golden, orange with a fluffy white head of creamy bubbles. the nose is so full of slightly over-ripe grapefruit and mango - citrus zest and a lots of over-ripe apricot. i could smell this all day. the taste follows the nose but it is bright and bursting with flavor (this bottle is about a month old - the freshest i've had it) - a nice sweet malt backbone that gives a candied grapefruit like taste. also some pineapple. a bit of piney-ness as well and a little bit of grassy/earthiness to it. it goes down super easy. all in all this is a gem. i love this beer and wish i lived near where it was distributed. it was one of the first ipa's i had and remains one of my favorites. really wonderful stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

3.75/5  rDev -12%

3.4/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Disclaimer: I'll probably get stoned for writing this review as it wasn't 100% favorable, but I'm just reporting what I drank. I understand that an IPA should be consumed fresh and that the bottle I had was old. Almost a year old. But I'll update the review once I get a fresh bottle/draft sometime.

Serving- Bottle into pint glass.

Appearance- Hazy copper top that swirled and tornadoed down into the bottom of the glass where it blended lazily with a light gold. Visible floating hop residue floating within. Took about 5 minutes to equalize and stabilize into one color. The separation had me concerned from the beginning as to the freshness of the beer. The beer is well carbonated. There is white lace all over the glass.

Nose- Subdued, earthy hops and malt. Nothing jumped out here or was very exciting. Again, this made me wonder how fresh it was and, to my dismay, I saw I had a bottle that was 9 months old! There were possibly notes of cider which, especially as a home brewer, got me concerned. The finish on the aroma was of warm apples.

Taste- Yeah, very earthy, herbal bitterness with malt. Some toasty bread in there and was pretty yeasty. At this point I'm bummed I got an old one. Everyone swears by this.

Overall- I think I did myself a great injustice by not checking the date on the bottle in the store. Normally with all the bombers I buy this is something I check. However, this one I purchased as a single 12 oz and it, obviously, had been sitting on the shelf a while. I believe this is a bottle conditioned beer as it had the hop residue and hazy appearance. I normally love this in a beer but this is an old IPA. No glory here. Overall it wasn't a bad beer, but it wasn't living up to its potential and certainly drank/smelled more like a pale ale than an IPA. I was disappointed. If this is what it really tastes like than I would not willingly seek this out again. If I get a fresh one sometime I'll be sure to update my review to reflect my findings.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.