Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 14,349 |  Reviews: 3,574

4.06/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a clear copper with a frothy half inch cream head that slowly dissipates, leaving spotty lacing.

Resin, grapefruit, and bready caramel malt sweetness dominate the aroma initially. Hints of onion, fresh cut grass, and cattiness add complexity.

Flavor is, at first, somewhat sweet, with caramel malt serving as a nice backdrop for muted grapefruit and strong resin. The finish is moderately bitter. Notes of pine emerge as it warms, and the citrus character strengthens.

Body is moderately full and slightly creamy, with moderate carbonation, slight astringency, and notable alcohol warmth.

Certainly not the most complex hop character, but a good amount of malt to stand up to the hops without overwhelming, and not overly bitter.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

May be a little biased, went to school in Kalamazoo, MI for 4 years, drinking this on draft was a regular every weekend thing for me; As were six packs as fresh as you could possibly get them. Regardless, I am reviewing this currently living in Tennessee, drove to Kentucky to purchase this, 3 months old. Oh yea, out of a bottle too. But guess what, it tastes the same regardless of what you dirnk this out of. Draft, bottle, glass, this is a world class beer. I'm sure it wold taste amazing out of a can as well.

Not usually a fan of IPAs, I have been savoring this beer since before I even knew what an IPA was. My first experience was in probably 9th grade, when you don't really have a taste for what a "beer" should taste like. My friend took one from his dad's sixpack in the garage, cold as hell, and I remember saying the exact words "holy shit".

It looks like an IPA should, somewhat cloudy with an orange-ish appearance. Not much of a head, although I usually get much more when I have it on draft.

Smells very piney, citrusy, sort of a hint of a west coast IPA with that sort of clove.citrus aspect of a hefeweizen, a pretty uniqie smell for an IPA.

Tastes like no other beer out there. By far the most balanced IPA i've had. I've given this to my parents, who don't drink craft beer, and don't like those "heavy ipa's".... They said "wow, i'm gonna have to start buying this". And ever since then, i've often had to refrain from draining the Two-Hearted stash in my parents fridge whenever I'm home to Michigan to visit. So smooth, and easy drinking, for a 7% abv it tastes like 5.5-6, it just goes down smooth. The centennial hops in this beer really show through. I prefer this to Founders Centennial IPA, in contrast to a lot of my friends, as I find it a tad too malty.

Overall: This one is just perfect, everything is so well constructed that words can't really describe the craftmanship of this beer. Larry Bell did an amazing job with this one and that's why it's Bell's flagship beer. If I were to reccomend one beer from my home state to the rest of the world, this would be it (followed closely by Bells Hopslam).

Being an avid fisherman, I usually pair this with Salmon or Steelhead, and it blows me away how well they work together. I'm not sure if the fish on the bottle, or the reference to the U.P river had a subconscious bias on me, but this is my go to beer for any for of meat or fish dinner (Dogfishhead 90 min IPA also pairs very well with Salmon). Cheeses that go well with this are basically any strong cheese, Limburger if you're man enough, and i've found that any dutch Gouda cheese pairs rather well.

A cool little story: A few years ago a few buddies of mine were backpacking Isle Royale (Island in Lake Superior, Northern Michigan) and we met 2 guys from Germany who came to canoe the island. The only store on the island, which included a mini restaraunt, just happened to stock only bells beer, and a huge selection of it. We met them in a campground near the lodge and they had just bought a case of Oberon and 2 six packs of Two-Hearted. Their english wasn't very good, but they basically said that American beer is shit compared to Germany (and grudgingly Belgium), except that Two-Hearted and Oberon (probably due to Germans fondness for wheat beer) are both some of there favorite beers, ever. I thought that was pretty cool, Germans having mad respect for some local MIchigan Craft Brew.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

3.92/5  rDev -8%

Such an overrated ipa.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.