Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |
Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,443 | Ratings: 13,813

Two Hearted ale is a gold color. The aroma is well balanced with potent smells of wheat and grape. The taste was great with caramel and malt being the main flavors that I could taste. Overall it was a light and well balanced beer. Would definitely recommend.

This is my favorite by far. I also enjoy a very hoppy IPA but this is so drinkable and delicious. I have to go to out of my way to find it but it's worth it.

Consumed over and over, often cases at a time, from 12 ounce bottles.

Appearance: As my girlfriend says, this is the color of the gates of heaven. Pure mahogany to be serious, the color is lighter than it tastes.

Smell: Hoppy, yet sweet. This double IPA's smell alone makes you forget regular IPAs.

Taste: Awesome. It goes beyond pure hops, adding some sweetness to it. The bite of IPAs is gone, too, making this an unbelievably easy drinking strong beer. If you use this as a session beer, look out.

Mouthfeel: Certainly not thin, but not overly thick either.

Overall: My favorite beer. Only a person with no heart will dislike Two Hearted. Forget Christmas: The Grinch's heart would grow 10 times after ddrinking this beer. My girlfriend drools when thinking about this beer. No further comments, please.

beeradvocate dudes: What's up? 78. Please give this one another try.

The IPA by which I judge all others. And now it comes in cans and is perfect for outdoor adventures. I love this beer!

Great head retention, with lacing that lingers until the beer is gone...

Floral, grapefruit, piney nose, Fantastic.

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. Just the right amount of hop bitterness without being overpowering. Almost perfect.

Overall, the best beer I have ever tasted. It's always in my refrigerator.

This beer is the reason I love beer. It's my gold standard which I compare all other hoppy beers to.

The most perfect combination of hops I have yet to come across. beautiful balance of floral and citrus notes. beautiful amber/apricot pour. smooth and perfect finish.

I cannot recommend this beer enough.

Those Bells boys in Kalamazoo know what they're doing. I've only been disappointed with 1 or 2 out of the 10-15 beers of theirs that I've tried.

As perfect as an IPA as I could ask for; a very favorite. Strikes the perfect balance between hops and malt, retaining characters of both in flavor (far too many IPAs are stupidly hoppy, heavy-handed). Smooth and endlessly drinkable, my ideal session brew. Perfect head, beautiful color. The benchmark against which I judge other IPAs, and indeed, other beers in general.

I'll say it this way: it's the only beer that I'm offering at my wedding next spring :)

My gateway drug to the wonderful world of IPA and Double IPA. I really can't say anything on here that hasn't been said before except, I honestly believe if I was restricted to one beer for the rest of my life, I could make it on this one.

Look: Orange Gold, white head
Smell: apricot, grapefuit, oranges
Taste: citrus, floral, caramel, perfectly balanced hops and malts
Feel: refreshing and perfect
Overall: best readily available IPA in existence

Things I like...

LL Bean boots.
Canoeing a wilderness river.
Reading Thoreau.
Frontline on PBS.
A wood stove in the winter.
Flyfishing in Autumn.
A long roadtrip driving to Alaska.
Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

I've tried quite a few beers, and this beer deserves it's own category, it's almost beyond what you can call beer.

Pours a clear deep gold that leaves a two finger head. The aroma is candied oranges and pineapple. Smells floral, sweet, bitter, and delicious. The taste is perfect. Starts of slightly bitter but a nice caramel sweetness comes in to balance it out. Not too sweet, yet not too bitter. Perfect balance. I get mostly citrus wrapped in caramel candy. Drinkability is extremely high. This is the best single IPA I have ever had, granted I live in Florida and do not have access to most California and other west coast IPAs. The perfect beer in every way. Great for noobs, great for hop heads, and great for those who are looking to get into IPAs. A+

Gorgeous white head, poured from a bottle into a shaker. Sticky lacing embraces the glass. A cloudy, golden, sun kissed liquid honey graces my vision.

Hoppy, malt goodness on the nose. Citrus flower blossoms blends with the sweet bready aroma of the malts, heavenly.

Bubblegum, sweetbreads, and shortcake dance on my tongue. Apricots and grapefruit, orange peel and a hint of lemon zest...mingle with the malty sweetness...finishing with a well balance hoppy smile that has graced my face.

This is truly one of the great American beers. Complex but balanced beyond words. I dream of beer but this beer is made of dreams. Perfection.

This is my go to beer when I don't know what I want. Every time I pop a new one it reminds me of what beer can be. Poured a 12oz bottle into my Chimay chalice. This beer pours a hazy, raw honey orange with a billowing 2 finger head that left sticky lacing down the chalice. The aroma is a explosion of citrus. Grapefruit is predominant with bits of orange and lemon. Also sweet grassy notes come through on the finish. The taste is what hops done correctly taste like. Grapefruit and lemon balance with just a bit of spicy/grassy notes. All the hops are balanced extremely well with a malty sweetness that comes out on the finish. The mouthfeel is full and leaves a wonderful coating of hoppy bitterness all around your mouth. This beer isn't a hop monster, its well balanced and goes down smoothly. The only knock is it comes in a little high on the alcohol content to be a session beer. Thanks Bell's Brewery for making one of the Worlds best beers.

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to IPAs since I have so many great ones to choose from in my area and I love them dearly. That being said, Bell's Two Hearted Ale is one I'll never not have in my beer fridge (not for a lack of trying to drink them all). For me, its the perfect IPA, highly floral with light fruity notes and a strong hoppy attitude. The bitter bite isn't beastly like you may see with so many other IPAs (particularly those of lower quality) but rather justly emboldened. This is, to me, the pinnacle of craft IPAs with the correct addition of fruity and floral flavors (and smells), right between a boring hoppy beer or some bastardized fruit cocktail.

Best beer by Bells for sure. One of my favorite in the world. Anyone who drinks IPAs and has not had this- I feel sorry for you. Get it and drink it. I would love to try this wet hopped as well maybe they would do this once- would make it even better.

Thank you for creating this gold standard!

Unmatched balance of malt supporting the hops. Great depth of flavors and aromatics which remain throughout length of taste and continuing with mouthful. Stands above all other APAs and never varies year after year.

Once of the best. . Floral ,Hoppy, smooth with a nice finish. A nice 7% beer. It is definitely a world class beer.
You owe it to yourself to try it out. You will not be disappointed.

This is such a well done IPA , this is craft beer done right . I wish it was more available in los angeles definitely would be my go to beer .This brew is so easy to drink so well balance .

I am sorry about my rating, but I just had to. This is one of my favorite beers of all time. We are starting to see this on tap at more and more places in Minneapolis, and not just dank beer bars anymore, so I have been drinking more and more of it, and boy, it just keeps getting better. The way Guiness defines stout, and Sierra Nevada defines pale ale, I feel that two hearted ale defines IPA. It pours the same amber color of most PA's, with a slight head that has great retention and provides lacing to the last sip. The aroma is where you find out it is IPA, not a PA, with a complex, hoppy smell. The taste follows up on the smell, an array of hops from piney to fruity to citrusy, that all blend together, with the dry-apple flavor following shortly. This is at the top of my deserted island beers. Good for one or two, or great for the whole evening.

This IPA may be the best. Orangle colored, low to no foam head, hoppy, citrus finish, that's so enjoyable then a sixer or two wouldn't be an issue to drink in one sitting.

Whenever I go searcing for this brew it's typically sold off of all the shelves. I would like to see Bell's at some more Beer Festivals so they can get the word out on the great taste and flavor of this exceptional Michigan brew

1/4/2011 edit
A few years later with a bit more educated palate and 6+ clone recipe homebrew attempts later. Still one of my favorite IPAs.
Impressive clarity compared to most other IPAs.
Impressive floral and citrus aromas and taste.
So good I used it as a reference for my house homebrew recipe of an all Centennial IPA.

*** 2008
FYI, this is one of my early BA reviews, so forgive my limited knowledge and review skills to date. I may choose to re-review this one later w/ a more educated beer style knowledge, palate and vocabulary....

I will re-review this one when I can, I now know how to describe it more appropriattely as of 3/6/2009....

This review was based off a tulip style glass pour.
ABV = 7.0, calories = 202 ps

APP-5.0 Dark golden orange cloudy color. Large head with impressive retention. It's great to whiff that hoppy aroma for the entire beer. I have drank many a sixers of this stuff and te head is so ready for action it froths out the top once you pop the cap. Quite fun I must say, a sort of volcano style IPA.

SMELL-4.0 Floral hopiness. HOPS HOPS HOPS, minor hints of citrus...

TASTE-4.0 Less bitterness for IPA in my experience so far. Bells did a nice job on this brew. Floral/citrus type of hoppiness, not overly bitter like some...

DRINKABILITY-4.0 A Hophead delight!. More on the floral side of hoppiness, not bitter - right on in my book.

What IPA lover doesn't love this beer? It's rich with aromas and so much flavor. The color looks a bit caramel, orange and golden all in one. It's opaque and with a white head. The aroma smells of glorious hops. Citrus and floral notes along with a enjoyable hoppy-ness. This beer is so well crafted and smooth to taste. If you don't enjoy IPAs yet, wait till you try this one. It's one of my favorites!

pours a deep orange color with a decent hop haze.

Smell is very floral, Citrus and pine are all over the place, a bready malt in there to.

Taste is orange, lemon, pine, sweet malt and a bit of bittering grapefruit.

Mouthfeel is medium as is carbonation.

Well this is one of those beers that I have had so many times that there is always at least a 6 in the fridge.

If you want a beer that showcases hop flavor over hop bitterness then go out and get this. One of the better IPAs out there that is for sure

Edit... I am not going re review as it is as perfect as ever, I am just changing my score to a perfect 5.... Every time I drink this I am just amazed at how perfect it is, so why do I not have it rated that way????

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

Bell's Two-Hearted ale is the best tasting, most complex IPA I have had. It is a little high on carbs, but wow... the flavor is unforgettable.

appearance --> sticky, memorable lacing that will impress
smell --> the BEST fragrance of ANY IPA I have tried
taste --> hard to describe... complex yet hoppy... a true Bell's accomplishment
mouthfeel --> It feels so good, you delay the swallow, but you must.
Overall --> I think this is the best IPA available in the USA. Try it!
Appearance --> if you like clear, clean beer with lacing that sticks to the glass all the way down, then you just might like this one.

Edit --> 8-1-2012

This beer changed my life. No, I am not from Michigan. I am from Alabama.

ALL THESE following BEERS ARE GOOD, but prior to trying Two-Hearted, I did not know beer could be so awesome. I have tried Terrapin's "hopsecutioner" from Georgia. It hits the hops button, but a little too bitter and uninteresting. I tried Stone's "ruination". It stomps out the hops big time, and has that distinctive American Imperial IPA taste, but lacks the complexity I seek. Then I tried Sierra Nevada's "Torpedo". Torpedo is very good, but it seems heavy on the stomach. The "Sweetwater IPA", also from Georgia, is a good IPA, but it is not in the same league as Two-Hearted Ale. "MoJo IPA" is what I buy when the store is out of Two-Hearted.

Two-Hearted Ale has the rare balance of complexity and hops that will deliver that IPA taste we seek.

I have noticed four types of beer drinkers:

1. The BMC Dudes--> They drink Bud, Coors, or Miller Light because they have never tried a good IPA. They do not really enjoy the BMC, but that is all they know. I know this because I was once one of them.

2. Sweet Beers --> Sweet beer drinkers like Porters and thick, syrupy beers that really weigh in on the malty side of beer and they go to sleep after drinking a couple of them. Since they went to sleep after two porters, they think that was good?

3. Sour beers (argh!) --> There are beers from Belgium that are actually SOUR like old wine. Some people actually like this taste, but it makes me want to hurl.

4. Finally, the wonderful, bitter, HOPS laden IPAs --> The American IPAs take first prize. We are so lucky to have access to so many VERY GOOD American IPAs. Belgium can have their sour beer, and England can have their "brown Ale" that looks like toilet water. In The USA, we have the best.

...But I digress.

I have discovered I like beers that are:

* not too heavy on the malt
* hoppy
* complex
* feels good in my mouth
* fragrant, in a hops kind of way
* Not boring

Two-Hearted Ale meets these requirements.

Bravo-Zulu Bells!

I...love...this...beer.
Pours a beautiful bright amber into the glass with a good rack of foam and substantial subsequent lacing. To me, the aroma is one of mellow pine and sweet grapefruit. Taste is also of sweet grapefruit, bitter but sweet at the same time. I know this is a well hopped beer but you don't get that acrid bite that you get with some super hoppy beers. This one is very mellow, but with lot's of character.

At 6% abv, $8.99 a six, and with this flavor, you just have to love this beer as the ultimate session beer.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.