Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 14,274 |  Reviews: 3,550
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This brew was recommended to me by HardTarget. He said "this is your new 'White Whale'". This was quite an awesome brew - I wish it was available in this area, it would easily make its way into my beer rotation and become a stand-by in my fridge. Thank you, HardTarget, it was an excellent recommendation, and a very unique IPA.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a DFH shaped pint glass.

Appearance - It pours a hazy translucent golden orange. It created a 2 finger frothy white head that slowly dissipates. It never fully disappears and leaves a decent bit of lacing behind. The head retention is pretty amazing on this one.

Smell - The smell is pretty awesome. I get the standard IPA scents, but this one has a bit more as well. I can smell notes of grapefruit, lemon, slight pine, but overall it is very floral. There are also notes of mikans and tangerine which is tied closely with a sweetness that is fairly dominant in the scent.

Taste - The flavor is fantastic. I taste the same thing that I can smell in the scent. It is flowery, with notes of grapefruit, a hint of pine, and a decent bit of tangerine What I like about this beer is that is pretty balanced with the malt. There is a caramel sweetness that doesn't compete with or get overpowered by the hops - very balanced.

Mouthfeel - When I taste it, I can tell that this is an American IPA but it doesn't have that astringent, mouth tearing, palate destroying hop-slap-in-the-mouth feeling to it. It is velvety smooth with a light/medium body. The carbonation is fairly light, but it doesn't detract from the overall feel.

Drinkability - Very synergistic. Beer doesn't get more drinkable than this. If I could get this on a regular basis, I could easily drink a sixer to myself. This is an IPA I can could a ton of and still feel like my palate could handle another style of beer with no problem.

This brew was great. Go get some.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz bottle. Label code 7150.

Sunny orange, slightly hazy body with a huge, frothy white head. A thing of beauty among IPAs. Mega-lacing left behind, too.

Nose is fresh-cut citrus with a noticeable malt component. The smell alone gets my mouth watering.

Flavor is huge with a piney citrus blast.Plenty of malt backbone there, to hold things together, but never overdone. There is just exactly as much sweetness as is required to offset that hop blast, not one iota more. This is one of the most well balanced IPAs I have ever had, up there with Goose Island (probably better). If I lived within range of either of these, they would be staples in my beer fridge.

Mouthfeel is that wonderfully tart and tangy, nearly astringent, highly carbonated zing of a top-notch IPA.

Drinkability is insane. It's hard to make this last, it just keeps going down, heavenly sip after sip. Again, I wish I lived within distro range of this one so I could get my hands on it regularly. Next summer, I'm bringing back a case!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (April 13, 2010). This bottle is from a sixer that's just been picked up a few hours ago. The batch info area on the rear label is empty, so no freshness info, but I'll know soon enough once we open the bottle.

I've been enjoying this beer for years, time to review it and make it official.

Eyes: Pours a hazy darkish amber with a nice finger and a half of fluffy white head. Lacing is pretty and heavy.

Nose: A very potent and delicious hop profile. Many DIPAs have a less impressive nose. A nice citrus/grapefruit profile dominates. Few IPAs supply such an inviting nose.

Tongue: The nose doesn't deceive. A strong fresh sweet citrus assault on the tongue. Much less grassy and piney than the tasty citrus grapefruit flavors, but everything comes together nicely. The balance is spot on.

Mouth: Good carbonation, generally smooth aftertaste, even with that hop punch. This goes down extremely easy. The 7% ABV is undetectable.

Libation: What a great beer! Solid throughout, and truly delicious. I feel fortunate that this beer is so freely available in this market. Great work from Bell's and especially impressive is the year round availability of such a solid offering.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Made my own six in a Texas HEB and for the first time I see some Bell's brewery chilling there waiting for me! I just got Two Hearted this time because there were one or two more exciting choices and a LOT of really cheap incredible beers or ones that I hadn't heard of.

Pours an orange gold with a bit of haze into a pint glass. Keeps a thin ring of foam and one-sided, spotty lacing. The smell and taste take this to a whole new level.

Smell is dank, piney, grapefruit, thing wreeks of hops. Taste follows suit with the hoppy bitter, pine, grass, grapefruit, and a floral aftertaste. This beer is pretty crazy good. I very much regret not going ahead and grabbing the full Bell's catalogue available at the store so I could give all their beers a shot.

Maybe you guys across the country are spoiled, but this is super good and deserves the ratings I am throwing at it. The freshness has to have something to do with it, being packaged on 2/21/17. Good shit!

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: pours out with a frothy 2 inch head which slowly dissipates. Nice lacing that sticks around. Color is a nearly translucent dark orange. Average amount of carbonation.

S: hops are clearly present - you can smell the grapefruit (cascade hops?) but there is also a slight sweetness there as well.

T+M: this beer is do balanced. There is a slight malt presence in the front end but is followed up by a strong hop finish. However - the hops are not overpowering. Mouthfeel is good.

Overall: one of the best American IPAs. If you can't buy it in your state - it's worth a road trip to stock up.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours with a massive head that settles down into a nice two-finger white head. Cloudy and orange in color, with really nice lacing and head retention.

S- Really nice floral hop aromas with a hint of pine and some malt backbone. Also, some nice apricot-like fruitiness from the hops.

T- Fruitiness comes through really nicely, with citrus and apricot notes. A little floral character and pine as well, with not very much bitterness. Sufficiently malty as well, but pretty hop-forward.

M/D- Fairly thin mouthfeel with prickly carbonation. Extremely drinkable stuff, goes down very easy.

Very good IPA with nice balance. Really good hop flavors with a bitterness that isn't crushing. Would drink a lot more if it were easier to come by.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

I've never really been a big "Hop-head" but this beer may change the way I see things. Some IPA's are just too bitter, but this one mixes the perfect amount of hop bittersweetness, sweet malty goodness, and a grand portion of love. It's floral, it's fruity, it's sweet up front and dry on the finish. The perfect American IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Into a pint glass, pours a soft, clear amber, a big ass frothy off-white head with loads of lacing. The aroma is powerful, resinous, piney hops exploding from the bottle, retching the air with citrus and fruit, fantastic. And if my olfactories weren't sent into overdrive, my taste buds sure were. The bitterness is jarring, the hops biting, the mouth delighting, the malts enlivening (and balancing, for sure). Its a sensory cornucopia, but not quite perfect. One could ask for a little more malt to balance, a little more body to hold, but thats cents on the dollar on this fine, bad ass beer. There isn't much to say about this beer that hasn't already been said, so I'll conclude; highly drinkable, highly recommended, yum yum

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding IPA that overwhelms the pallet. Perfect for sipping, not the best with food.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a great amber/orange color. Awesome hop aroma. Citrus/piney notes very apparent. Solid, long lasting white head with good lace throughout the beer.

Taste is well balanced with a great bittering hop character. Not overwhelming, but perfect for this style. Finish is dry with a citrus note. Excellent beer. Well made. Kudos to Bells for making great beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Just pouring this beer made me think to myself 'damn, why didn't I drink more of this when it was more readily available?!'

A - Golden hazy in color with a creamy head that teases the top of the glass. Foam hangs around for a while and leaves almost chunks behind and an unevenly laced glass.

S - Yum! A bunch of sweet, a bit citrus, and hops! Wrap that up with a bit of malty caramel. Such a lovely beer

T - Sweet hops and caramelly malts. This beer tugs at your heart strings in both directions.... hmm Two Hearted Ale. Now I get it!

M - Smooth with some carbonation. Not dry. Not a huge aftertaste, but you won't forget it. Really great beer.

D - Drink ability? YES! Bring me another case and another for tomorrow. I don't wanna share! Now leave me alone so I can enjoy my beer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Stoked to finally get to try a Bell's beer. Two Hearted is all I could have hoped for. Pours a deep amber with a nice white head. The hop profile is a beauty and takes control of this beer from sip one. The balance is very nice. Oh so smooth of a brew. I certainly hope this is not the last of the Two Hearted I sample. I love it. These better come east!

4.6/5  rDev +8%

If someone told me they don't like IPAs and I only had one beer to convince them otherwise, it would be the two hearted ale. My goodness, how does this beer stand so tall against its peers while being drinkable to newbs? Two Hearted would be at my last supper, regardless of whether beer snob was plating a 5-course or Mom was cooking.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer, I have loved this beer from the first time I tried it although it put a damper on my LSAT scores the next morning. Which therein lies the problem. Its so tasty you want to keep drinking them, and they are 7.00% which means if you drink a six pack you have really drank way more than a six pack. This was my first real introduction to Bell's and it remains a mainstay in my fridge, and I just so happened to catch this one on sale for the bargain price of $8.99 a sixer. I figured after all these years I would review this pleasuredome of a beer. I mean Coleridge would have surely written about this one had he lived long enough to try it. What doesn't it have. Its a beautiful ale.

The color: A golden ruby color.

The smell: a gorgeous piney sweet nectar, not as much floral and tropical as mountainous and northern.

The taste: Now this is where it gets real. It has a balance like no other, and for the price its a steal. Its lovely, sweet, yet piney and bitter in the perfect kind of way. Its the foundation on which the Hopslam is built upon. Not as strong, but just a great brew all the way around.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottles. My go to IPA. cant go wrong with this one. Pours cloudy, but clarifies into a mostly translucent hard amber-- by which I mean the amber that entombs certain prehistoric insects. An ivory, two finger head is produced that leaves no sticky lacing.

Lightly carbonated.

The fruitiness and sweetness are incredibly prominent, and I really have a hard time believing this is an IPA-- but that IPA bitterness is very much there at the end, and provides an interesting and welcome contrast to the first flavors. The flavor system present in this beer is incredibly complex, and while it can easily be downed in a few gulps, it really must be savored to be truly appreciated.

One of my go to IPAs. Delicious

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle marked batch 7168 into a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden hued orange color with a half finger white foamy head that diminished slowly to light white sticky lacing. Aroma is rich of floral hops, nicely accented by sweet malt pairings. Taste is absolutely incredible, excellent balance between hops and malt, yet far more complex, it's like nothing I've tasted before. At first taste, this IPA tarts off with a quick hoppy bite that is rich in citrus and floral notes, before giving way to a softer, caramelly sweet maltiness that leaves you wanting more. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, slick on the tongue, coats the mouth with a nice light oily feeling. Very, very drinkable, I think I may have a new favorite session beer, I will seek out more of this beer very soon.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.