Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

4.27/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 14,399 |  Reviews: 3,584

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottles. My go to IPA. cant go wrong with this one. Pours cloudy, but clarifies into a mostly translucent hard amber-- by which I mean the amber that entombs certain prehistoric insects. An ivory, two finger head is produced that leaves no sticky lacing.

Lightly carbonated.

The fruitiness and sweetness are incredibly prominent, and I really have a hard time believing this is an IPA-- but that IPA bitterness is very much there at the end, and provides an interesting and welcome contrast to the first flavors. The flavor system present in this beer is incredibly complex, and while it can easily be downed in a few gulps, it really must be savored to be truly appreciated.

One of my go to IPAs. Delicious

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle marked batch 7168 into a pint glass. Pours a hazy golden hued orange color with a half finger white foamy head that diminished slowly to light white sticky lacing. Aroma is rich of floral hops, nicely accented by sweet malt pairings. Taste is absolutely incredible, excellent balance between hops and malt, yet far more complex, it's like nothing I've tasted before. At first taste, this IPA tarts off with a quick hoppy bite that is rich in citrus and floral notes, before giving way to a softer, caramelly sweet maltiness that leaves you wanting more. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation, slick on the tongue, coats the mouth with a nice light oily feeling. Very, very drinkable, I think I may have a new favorite session beer, I will seek out more of this beer very soon.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

poured from bottle into a slightly chilled pint glass.

appearance: nice pale straw-amber color with some hazing.

smells of fresh pine, citrus and slight malt.

tastes of hops and nice balanced malts. not as much hops as smell would dictate. very smooth with just enough a hop-bite. this pairs perfectly with a spicy pineapple habenero salsa.

mouthfeel is about right very easy to drink.

very drinkable and very balanced smooth ipa!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Poured into a pint glass. Body is golden honey-amber with a half-finger fluffy ivory head that sits well. Nice splotches of lace left behind.

S: Wow. This is what I want an IPA to smell like. Fresh C-hops are there in force. Grapefruity, lemony and juicy hops. Very, very pleasant nose.

T: Foundation of lighter malt is then subsumed by hops. Think juicy, sugar-coated grapefruit and a touch of resiny pine, though with the grapefruit the more dominant flavor. Finishes with a slightly grassy lemony taste to it as well.

M: Lighter than medium in heft, with carbonation perhaps a bit more active than I'd like. But all in all it's real smooth in the mouth, so maybe that carbonation isn't too much after all (<bumps score to 4.5>).

D: If this isn't a 5 then I want to meet the beer that is. Immensely drinkable. I had one with dinner (some sort of Moroccan-type chicken dish with cilantro) and had been planning to save the last of the sixer for some other special occasion but couldn't resist. Inasmuch as I cannot get this beer in NY, I am uncertain when I will get to sample this one again. For that I am sad.

Notes: My wife was drinking a Stone IPA while I was drinking this, so I did the Pepsi challenge. We both liked the Two Hearted better. It's lighter and a bit finer, but went down more easily. If I had access to this in NY, I would buy it by the case.

Batch 10216

A-golden amber with a nice white head
S-nice citrsy hops invite me in...
T-amazing. Sweet grapefruit taste that really wowed me for the first time in a while. I always forget how great this beer is
M-medium bodied and so smooth
D-rediculosuly drinkable, awesome!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Received this 12 oz. bottle in a recent trade with froggyfrog. Poured to a pint glass. What's the deal with the fish on the label? and the name: two hearted? I digress...

A: Hazy golden color, very warm with some shades of amber and a huge frothy off-white head, at least 2 fingers. Dissolves v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y... Busy streams of carbonation and nice lacing.

S: Wow, they weren't kidding about "enormous hops" on the label...big fruity, resinous and floral hops explode out of the glass. Sweet malts are present, too. Nose is predominantly tangerine/citrus and sourdough bread. Smells wonderful.

T: Hoppy and juicy sweet. Great full flavors of citrus and loads of grainy/sugary malt. A nearly perfect IPA, holds it's own with any of the best that my area (Pacific NW) can offer...great balance.

M: Crisp and clean, with a medium body and full mouthfeel. MY tongue curled at the sides, salivating from the copious juicy hops. Surprisingly sweet thoughout, but with a nice lingering bitterness and smooth citrus-hopped backbone.

D: Simply a wonderful IPA! No doubt I'd have another of these - fortunately I received two in the trade. Thanks again, JE!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Fresh filled growler from a friend who found a way to import a keg to New York served in a standard pint glass.

L - slightly clouded orange/yellow color with a off-white head that left streaks of lacing on the glass.

S - pine and citrus hop aromas fill the nose.

T - piney, citrusy bitter hops with just enough malt to keep my tongue from falling off.

F - medium bodied, somewhat slick with mild carbonation.

D - hell yeah!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I’m marking my 300th review on BA with this write up on Bell’s Two Hearted. It’s a special treat for me. Even though I grew up in Kalamazoo I have spent my adult (beer drinking) in Texas and California—places where Michigan beers are not distributed.

Since it is now New Year’s eve I thought I’d share a story of last year when I shared some Two Hearted with my mother. She smelled it and said it smelled wonderful, just full of light citrus and grapefruit and floral aromas. … and then she tasted it. Her face soured and she handed it back to me. Of course I gladly took it back. That was probably the first and only time she tried an IPA. I love telling this story to friends, and especially about Two Hearted.

The Two Hearted I’m enjoying over the holiday break came from a six pack bottled mid-December so I know it’s fresh. Looks great, the color of golden-honey with nice clarity and a wonderful head of foam topping it. My mother’s aroma description still holds—floral, citrus pine with some grapefruit zest and spicy hops rounding it out. Tastes piney and bold with some resin. A bit of chew gives it heft, and there’s a pleasant hop bitterness but a sweetness from the excellent malt bill balances it out. Fantastic finish. And, incidentally, wonderful art on the bottle. Feliz año Nuevo!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A-Golden in color with a fine head. Riddled with bubbles.

S-Big fruity hops. Clementines. Very smooth smell. Malt is nicely intertwined. Smells like a damn good brew.

T-Hello! Absolutely delectible hop profile. Not violently bitter but more refined and palatable. Fruity hops take over my tongue. Subtle malt, hop foward. I get an almost bubblegum taste on the back end. Delicious and modestly unique.

M-Exceptional mouthfeel. Well carbonated yet slick. Sticks to your tongue. Hop flavors never go away.

D-The alcohol is completely silenced. A 7% brew that could easily sneak up on you especially because the flavor is savory. I wish I could get this beer all the time. Why won't you reside in MA with me? Would be my go-to beer if I could get it locally.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Light copper, orange with 2 fingers of white head that leaves sticky lacing every where.

S - Citrus and piney hops, resiny and slightly spicy with a decent malt backbone.

T - Nicely balanced bitterness with sweet caramel and bready malts. Citrus, resiny and spicy hops are the centerpiece.

M - On the light side of medium with good carbonation and slightly creamy. Slightly dry finish.

D - One of the easiest summer drinking IPA's i have had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic. Acquired in a trade with Wutz. Thanks buddy!

Pours a hazy golden orange. Two fingers of fluffy white head. Great retention, loads of lacing.

Aroma is big time citrus and pine. Grapefruit is the dominant citrus smell. Malt sweetness behind the hops.

Taste is all hops. Pretty good hop balance between the citrus and the pine. Excellent pale malt backbone.

Smooth drinker. Fairly light body, but still has a nice creaminess. Appropriately carbonated and highly drinkable.

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 92.7% out of 100 with 14,399 ratings