Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 14,320 |  Reviews: 3,563

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance-somewhere around copper

smell- sweet with some citrus

taste- just an amazing mix. hops and floral

mouthfeel- good mix of carbonation nice crisp finish

drinkability-" well suited for adventurous trips o the upper Peninsula."

one of my Favorites

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Kalamazoo has been my second "home town" for 10 years...I've had the pleasure of drinking a lot of great Bell's beers over time, many of which right at their famed "Eccentric Cafe" in downtown Kalamazoo. Finally I'm properly reviewing their much-famed "Two Hearted" IPA. I'll be honest- this has been one of my "go-to IPAs" for years, so this will probably get a favorable score!

A: Pouring a half-finger of off-white head which dissipated quickly. Lacing is better than average, with unremarkable retention. The beer itself is a lovely, opaque orange/amber with carbonation bubbles faintly visible.

S: In a word: KILLER. Smells like an IPA should smell...grassy, pine, floral hoppiness with a caramel candy undertone.

T: Loads of pine, citrus rind, and a touch of that caramel malt to wrap up each sip. This is definitely the easiest drinking 7.0 ABV that I'm aware of. A superbly balanced American IPA flavor.

M: Dry, crisp mouthfeel with light carbonation- a text book example of how an IPA should feel while drinking...effortless!

O: Man, I'm really going to be hurting if I ever leave Kalamazoo...I have tried IPA after IPA and I always come back to Bell's Two Hearted, like a lost cat always finds their way home. It's definitely one of my Top 5 IPAs and an all-around reliable partner in crime. EVERY beer connoisseur should check this off their list at LEAST once!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer really impressed me. I am not a hop-head and it's a style that up to recently I did'nt spend much time on, but I am exploring more now. I enter each one with caution. Pour is cloudy rosy orange, rocky head. Smell is great, floral and fruity, hops right. Taste and mouthfeel is smooth, light, nice hop presence with just the right amount of bitterness, fruity but not overly so. Overall this beer does'nt make my mouth pucker, and I would love to have had lots more, but only bought a single, will be looking forward to it coming to my state, I hope.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Hop blood. Very nice

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

A 12 oz bottled poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a somewhat hazy apricot color. Nice two finger head that leaves a good looking film on top with a good amount of lace.

S - Wow - this smells amazing. Lots of rich pine and citrus notes. Very hoppy.

T - Delicious. Loads of hops. Lots of pine, a bit of sweetness, a bit bitter at the end, and everything one would want out of a big IPA. Goes down maybe a bit too smooth, but overall very nice.

M - A bit thin/watery at first, but opens up a lot mid-way. Leaves a bit to linger on my palate after each sip.

O - A wonderful IPA. I've seen this on the shelf at local grocery/liquor stores for a while but hadn't picked it up until today ... kicking myself that I didn't try this sooner.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from bottle to tumbler.

Appearance - Lighter than most IPA's more golden-orange than dark amber. Nice big frothy 2 finger head that laces very nicely.

Smell - This beer smells phenomenal, there is not a much better smelling beer in my opinion. Flowery hops abundent along with nice citrus and pine notes. A bit of sweet detected and maybe a whiff of the malts. A tiny bit of alcohol makes it just right.

Taste- Tastes like it smells, and it smells wonderful. Very floral, earthy taste, nice citrus hops. Alcohol is apparent but it fits in nicely. The malts are sitting behind here, but can be tasted and balance this beer very well. Not overly bitter, bits of honey and sweet caught.

Mouthfeel - Perfect carbonation here, just the right bite on the tongue, not overpowering here. Feels like silk.

Drinkability - Awesome drinkability, this is my go to beer. I buy it when fishing, working in the yard, etc etc. I could drink a 6-pack so easily.

One of my absolute favorite beers, there are few that top this IPA in my opinion.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

A: After a hard pour, Clear amber/orange color with a pillowy off-white head. Lacing is great as this beer goes down.

S: Floral hops are abundant and fresh. Pine, citrus and some peppery notes to follow. Toasted and bready malts are in the background. The hops certainly stand out and are winning my olfactory senses over.

T: Spicy and crisp hop bite up front but not too bitter. Floral hop freshness is incredible. Almost a jasmine floral taste that blends in very well with this beer. A peppery finish to the hops.
Malt is lightly toasted and semi-sweet with some honey notes.

M: Medium body, crisp carbonation and a spicy, dry finish.

D: Super drinkable IPA, so much freshness and great flavor without becoming bitter and off balanced. One of my favorite IPA's of all time! It is so refreshing and easy going and I am not a hophead either.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Hazy goldenrod. Topped with one fat finger of sticky head.

S: Sweet citrusy hops, mostly grapefruit. Gorgeous.

T/M: Well-balanced, spicy, sweet beer. Same sweet grapefruit notes with solid malt underneath. Thick and syrupy. Mmm.

D: Love to drink this. Great beer whether it's hot or cold out. Easy to session all night, and easy to find on tap in the area so it's possible to do so.

Notes: Greatest of the great midwestern IPAs. Seek it out. Enjoy it.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in to a tulip. Appearance was a clear, coppered color body. 1 finger, white head. Good lacing.

Floral and citrusy. A touch spicey. Good maltiness and a bit caramely.

Taste was way more impressive than the aroma. Big citrus and floral flavors upfront. Turns to a caramel, bready and malty backbone. Finished with a light bitterness that was floral and a touch piney.

Mouthfeel was medium body, medium carb and a crisp finish.

Overall this is a great beer. Highly drinkable and great flavors.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.