Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 14,233 |  Reviews: 3,541

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Served out of a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: yellowish-amber color, one finger of white head with some lacing

S: really powerful piney hops

T: lots of hop bitterness up front and finishes on the dry side

MF: smooth, medium bodied.

Drinkability: this IPA is excellent. very easy to drink, it doesn't take long before i'm looking for a refill.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

PoW! Wow! I have had this many times now and it was my 1st try at this style of beer. I must say it is not for the faint of taste! Smells of piney hops and taste to match it. Bitter oh yes! Looks good and feels good in your mouth. (make sure to decant this one though!) Amazing frothy head with fairly nice sticky lacing for this style. Smooth and drinkable for its style, not over carbonated. Lacking a bit on depth of taste but I believe it fits its style nicely. 2 or 3 will go down great on a hot day but the high alcohol content will knock you down fairly quickly! Not sessionable for me but a good start to a tasty evening of drinks. Yum.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Nice warm honey color. Thin head with good lacing. This beer has the a solid 5 for smell. I get citrusy hops, but as it warms, it gets even better. Imagine the wonderful smell of a summer produce market with tons of ripe melons, apples, pears. Ripe cantaloupe is very present. The taste is fresh and hoppy with some malty sweetness. Clean, dry finish. Good full bodied yet refreshing mouthfeel. Delicious. I feel the need to add that this beer seems to be EXTREMELY fresh.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bells Two Hearted Ale (2014) - 7% ABV. When I stopped in at Casey's Beer & Soda (Pine Bush NY) the staff informed me about this bargain ($8 for a four pack) and how I possibly was missing the best beer out there if you like hops. That is a big rep to live up to... but Bells pulls it off. The moment you pop the top of the can you smell the piney goodness-- a hint of lilac and some citrus. Pours a solid amber with very active carbonation. Excellent head and lacing retention. The nose is pine nuts and coriander. A quick bite of malty barley and the sting of pine mark the mid-palate transition. Lingering malt and spice. Finishes crisp, dry, and some lemon bite. A bit of skunk lager notes but the copper ale note persists in the aftertaste. Full bodied with good crisp mouthfeel. The alcohol is subdued. This is very sessionable from a taste standpoint. Very mellow IPA flavor. Tastes like a "baby war elephant" or session IPA but that 7% is there-- proceed with care and respect the beer. Really good. Excellent for that matter. Welcome to the Top Ten list Two Hearted Ale. 4.5 out of 5.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excellent balance of hop and malt. I didnt get any grapefruit mentioned in Bells ad but got a lot of other great tastes on the up front and finish. Pine and resin mostly and gladly detected no tropical.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Copper orange appearance, not much for a head but has a nice thick ring. Aroma of luscious orange hops, sweet and citrusy. Taste is mildly sweet, with more orange/citrus flavor and lightly spicy hops, a bit tangy. Bitterness is subdued, making it mostly a sweeter IPA, but very nice. Medium thick, good coating ability, nice light carbonation present. I would drink this all day long. Thanks Archer Liquors...

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

What a hidden treasure! When I describe this beer as a hidden treasure I am referring to the fact that I kept reaching for other beers for the last few weeks before I decided to try this beer. To me this beer embodies the characteristics of a wonderful IPA, I would rank this as an all time favorite IPA.

Appearance:
The beer poured into the pint glass with a meringue head. The original inch of head diffused until there was a quarter of inch leaving artistic lacing patterns around my glass. The color of the beer seems to be a straw with a beech tone.

Smell:
The floral spiciness that is followed by the rich grapefruit hops aroma is captivating.

Taste:
Very enjoyable as you roll the beer over the tongue dispersing the spicy tanginess.

Mouthfeel:
The carbonation seems to spread the beer throughout the crevices of my mouth as the hops revitalize the taste buds. You must be prepared for this beer, some might find this as unpleasant.

Drinkability:
This is one drinkable beer. I would gladly buy more of this beer and enjoy it when I am looking for a really solid IPA to sooth my hoppy cravings. What a great beer.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass. As a big IPA fan I've heard a lot of this beer and was eager to try it. Was not disappointed. A great beer that isn't as strong as competitors but still finishes strong.

Appearance: Most certainly strong with a look darker than most IPAs but with the sill strong finger of carbonation. Looks are still gorgeous as one could imagine from an IPA. Darker than the usual bronze.

Smell: Honestly one of the most forgettable parts of the IPA, but still excellent.

Taste: Incredibly smooth while still retaining the amazing hop flavor. Citrus, some malts, and pine are around. There are better tasting IPAs available but not many. Still a great choice.

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth. Extremely solid beer from start to finish that should leave the IPA beersman happy.

Overall: An excellent example of the IPA style. A great beer for someone to try to get into the IPAs.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

(Bottle into Semi-Chilled Pint Glass)

Appearance: Light Orange Hue with Full and Lasting Cream-Colored Head--Clouding a Bit Upon Pouring in the Last of the Sediment. Thick Lace.

Smell: Delicious Floral Scents of Fresh Hops (Grassy/Piney)

Taste: Great Balance Between Underlying 'Bready' Maltiness and its Predominant Earthy Hop Character.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Bodied, Quite Smooth with a Semi-Clean Finish. Perfect Carbonation.

Drinkability: Its Freshness and Smoothness Make This One to Enjoy Over and Over Again. 7% ABV Also Makes for a Cool Buzz.

Other: Very Impressed, a Must Try for any Hop-Head!

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Recently scored this from a friend returning from MN. This one took me by surprise, as one new to Bell's I was not sure what to expect.

The appearance was slightly hazy with a light amber hue.
The thing that really surprised me about this beer was the smell. It reminded me of the sweet piney aroma of a DIPA but in a very drinkable single IPA.
The taste was unfortunately not as nice as the aroma suggested, it felt a little unbalanced to me possibly in the malt department.
This is my ideal summer beer

UPDATE:
After having this beer a few more times from my initial tasting almost a year ago, I have a completely different view of it. I realize now I was being overly critical of this beer especially when it came to the malts used. I think I was looking at Two Hearted Ale as a DIPA when I should have been looking at it as it truly is; a beautifully clean and satisfying IPA with an excellent balance of bitterness and floralness. I have to say this is one of my favorite beers now and most certainly my favorite IPA. Too bad for me I can only get it when my roommate goes home.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Bubbling orange brew with a solid three finger whipped cream head that has great staying power. This beautiful long-lasting head reduced around the edges while leaving a mesa of foam in the center of the glass, buttloads of candy lace are left in it's wake. It looks like the mashed potatoes from close encounter of the third kind. "This means something."

I smelled a big wallop of hop grapefruitiness as soon as I poured this one! Thats great! I'm also picking up some lemon, biscuity malt, and some sweet floral notes.

This one is heaven for a hop lover like me! Highly hopped, but not puckering by any means. The sweet biscuit malt from the smell pulls through in the taste also. I'm reminded of tart lemon-flavored cookies. This is bright and hoppy but pleasantly warm and richly malted at the same time. I really like this.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation that makes for a highly drinkable and thirst quenching brew. This one is smooth going down with an extremely dry and bitter finish.

Overall, this is a great IPA for hop-heads, and might also appeal to those who are looking to try something hoppy without getting their tongue seared. I really like the fact that a beer that is so hoppy can be so warm and inviting, not to mention EXTREMELY drinkable, at the same time. This beer has great balance of character, and I will definitely pick this up whenever I see it!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

wow, what a friggin' enjoyable brew (and i'm not the world's biggest ipa fan, either)! this one just looks remarkable. it pours a cloudy orange with a massive monstrosity of a head. thick and creamy as hell...just spectacular, really. the smell is front and back loaded with hops...lots and lots of hops. interlaced are some malt, bread and fruit smells with hints of spice as well. the taste is quite nice, with the hop flavour much more subdued that the smell would lead you to believe. this goes into a nice sweet fruitiness with some welcome cream flavouring and finishes quite dry. this one is smooth as can be and is most enjoyable. a great first brew for me from bell's.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.