Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,519 | Ratings: 14,141
4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

On tap at the Eccentric Cafe, reviewed from notes.

Poured into a pint glass (I think...forgot to write down the vessel...jeeze). A thick white head sits on top of a hazy, orang-ish body. The head stuck around almost through the entire drink, leaving bits of lace behind.

The nose has refreshing hops, citrus in nature, grapefruit, orange zest, and roasted malts in the background.

Flavors stick tightly to the nose...add in a little earthy, floral hop pinch toward the finish. Extremely well balanced.

Medium to light mouth feel, well carbonated and slightly oily.

Super drinkable brew...right up there with the best of them. I had this in bottles before, but a fresh draft is the way to taste this one!

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Bernie's in Waukesha, WI. This pours a hazy amber color with a foamy off-white head. The aroma is mild with hops. The taste is smooth and easy drinking. Overall this is very well made and easy to see why this is one of the best beers for its style out there!

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz. bottle poured a dark golden color with a large white head that leaves some spots of lace. Smell of citrusy hops like tangerines and oranges. Taste has a bit of a watery feel at first and a slight bitterness towards the end with flavors of both sweet and bitter citrus fruits. This brew is very easy to drink and is one of my favorite go to beers to have a few of.

Poured into my De Garre snifter

It pours a bright gold, semi opaque, with a nice one finger white head. Ok lacing

A rich full aroma of hops with a nice malt backbone. More piney than anything.

Prickly piney hops in the taste. This is a fairly big bitterness, and a big hop taste. The beer gets slightly earthy to go along with a nice caramel flavor. A great IPA.

This beer is exceptional. To date is this best IPA I have had. Possibly lacking in balance, but that is how I like my IPAs.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a cloudy golden with a puff of white fluffy, fluffy head. Smell is out-of-this-world super sweet double-down sweet corn. Phenomenal. Candy-like, and the taste bears a repeat.. candy-like, a beer starburst, hoppy skittles now available in golden IPA flavor! Finish is smooth, then dry and fleeting. Drink again. A 6 pack to savor this beer a few separate times is recommended.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

After sucking down a few malty bocks, I figure a touch of hops would do my buds some good. Decided on the Two Hearted and its light copper color and lacy whitish head. The aroma told me I has chosen wisely. The fresh burst of spicy hop punched me right in the nose and my mouth started watering. The huge hoppy spicy hoppy flavor is sharp and exactly the right contrast to any malty brew. The medium body helps take a bit of the edge off and brings out some of the malt to make this an extremely satisfying beer. The knife-edge sharp bitterness finishes the experience off with a great bite.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Pale golden body with slight orange tint to it. Moderate white head on vigorous pour. Lacing looks good.

S - Very citrusy, orange and grapefruit, and moderate dank qualities. Sweet malt backbone to it as well. Get a moderate whiff of sugar.

T - Fantastic hop flavors up front. Very sublimely sweet orange. Bitterness level is a bit low but is there. Getting some caramelized sugars in the background and almost an English yeast taste.

M - Good medium bodied with a bit of nice "chewiness" to it. The carbonation is spot on and there is no alcohol burn.

O - A very very good IPA. A tad too sweet and missing a tad of bitterness which could really help cut through that sweetness. The hop flavor profile is amazing though and one of the better ones I've ever had.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

A- Good appearance. Golden with a hint of red, one finger head that takes a while to settle and laces well around the edges.

S- Nice hops smell. Touch of grapefruit because of the hops.

T- Excellent taste, very good IPA. Complex and rich full flavor.

M- Good mouthfeel, slightly bitter (good thing) with a touch more of a bite at the end (also good thing)

D- A good beer, with good drinkablity for an IPA. Because of the bitterness and the bite, not a good session beer.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A= This beer poured a very clear deep golden color with very fine particulates noticable in bright light. The initial 2" foamy white head eventually sank to a thin skim, but left impressive sticky lacing down the glass.

S= I detected alot of flowery and citric hop notes in this one. Along side the fruitiness though was a delicious biscuity malt aroma as well. I also got a bit of alcohol in the nose if the beer was swirled.

T= The fantastic balance of the pale malt and yeast gave this brew biscuity flavors weighing against the big juicy, citrusy hop explosion. I would characterize the hop flavors as strong with serious bitterness and a long dry finish.

MF= This had a truly medium body with a crisp feel on the tongue. Cabonation level was superb throughout.

D= Larry Bell has done it again! This is a fantastically drinkable ale, and quite deceptive. The 7% abv is not readily apparent and will sneak up on unsuspecting drinkers... I would make this one of my number one session beers, but alas I live in Illinois and the a**hole distributors have caused this fine ale to disappear from my state.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

I'm mystified that I've never reviewed this beer. This baby is my go-to brew, the six-pack I always reach for at my local grocery store when the only thing ahead of me for the next twelve hours is a good movie and a (relatively) solid night of sleep. But it's more than that. When I travel to some of my favorite local restaurants that really don't have awesome beer selections, this is always the best thing on the menu. That isn't to say that Two Hearted is some default that one decides on when no other craft beer is available. No, sir. This ain't your daddy's...um...Sammy Adams Boston Lager. This is a true-blue, purebred IPA, so if you haven't had it, you better be prepared for sheer happiness...hop bliss...hoppyness.

The beer pours out a sort of golden-orange, much like those moons that you'll only catch when you're out in the park doing god-knows-what with your latest lover...huh? Hey, there was that one time... Okay, there's no point for personal anecdotes in beer reviews. At any rate, the beer pours a golden-orange, and it's quite attractive if I do say so myself. The liquid, though quite permeable by light, does hinder said permeation, if only slightly, through a sort of miniscule graininess within the beer. Yeast, perhaps? We'll say "Yes" for the time being, unless anyone calls fault toward that. Moral of this slight nonsequitur: Dis beer luk dern nice!

The smell...ah, the smell. Initially, inhalation would leave me chomping at the bit. Pure hoppy bliss! Jesus, how trite. I wonder how many times that sentence has been used. I'm probably guilty for some 40% of all-time usage. Whatever. It's so true! People say cliches become just that because they are extremely, and sometimes dangerously, accurate. Anyway, this so-called "hoppy bliss" transcends into a sort of fruity medley that makes me think of pure Floridian citrus: Grapefruit. Orange. Some lemon? (It should be noted that my dad drinks this stuff with a lemon. I'm of the "No fruit in your beer" school. Obviously, I wasn't educated by my father.) Yummy. Hoppy. Fruity. Can I drink it already? (I actually took a sip quite some time ago; I'm just too verbose to mention it.)

This beer is one of the most familiar, and most comfortable, to ever grace my palate. All of the fruity notes remain, and I also get the SLIGHTEST bit of sweet, sweet malt at the end of each sip. The alcohol, fairly high at over seven percent, is completely hidden. This beer is the quintessential American IPA in all aspects, and I think it really takes the cake in the taste department. I'm so hesitant to give out perfect scores here, and don't think I ever have, because I simply have not consumed enough IPAs to TRULY know what perfection is. Put as far as I'm concerned, the 4.5 score here might as well be a five, and I could definitely see myself editing that bad boy in the near future.

"Mouthfeel" is always trivial to me. It's an IPA. All IPAs feel the same to me. I'm sure that's going to run a true beer connoisseur the wrong way, but I really mean it. Hoppy beers feel the same in my mouth. This one certainly doesn't commit any injustices between my pearly whites as it absorbs into my tastebuds, but it doesn't warrant anything above a "good" score; it didn't speak to me and say "Chad, I'd really like it if you bumped my Mouthfeel rating here." Therefore, that's why it received the score it did.

I'll throw another cliche in here: If I were stranded on a desert island, and could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, it would be this guy. This is the ONLY department that I'm comfortable awarding perfect scores to, and it definitely goes to Two Hearted. No beer is more drinkable than this. It can be sipped and appreciated; it can be consumed with a good meal, perhaps some grilled chicken or seared tuna; shit, it can be swigged from the bottle on a late-summer eve just as the sun is dipping below the surf on a South Carolina beach (Yes, personal, experience.) Most of all, I could drink this stuff all night...every night...and never, ever get tired of the taste. Mondays, give me Russian Imperials...Wednesday, I'll take a Belgian Strong, if you please...But Two Hearted? Give me that fucker any day of the week.

My favorite beer to-date. Don't know if my ratings reflect it...don't care. This stuff has, literally, gotten me arrested and gotten me laid. At its core, this is all that is great about beer. (Cliche? Fuck it.)

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

Nice amber/orange color with loads of fizzy white head. Smell is mostly fresh pine needles, very refreshing and hoppy. Taste is caramel and sweet up front with a nice balanced hoppiness in the back. Sweetened grapefruit could be a nice way to describe this one.

When I first tried this beer years ago I remember thinking it was the most bitter and hoppy I had tried to date. Now it seems exceptionally well balanced and drinkable for an IPA. Very refreshing and sessionable and one of the best "non-extreme" IPAs I've had.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I love single hopped ales. Nowhere to hide. You have to use your skills to manipulate the hopp in order to express it in the end product. They do a very good job. The smell is amazing! Great job Bell's.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Two Hearted is simply amazing when fresh. Bursting with floral and orange flavors. This was bottle was bottled on 5.15.13, today is 6.1.13. It's hard to find in the Twin Cities this fresh, and I've found it really falls off after 4-5 weeks. But two weeks old it's amazing.

One of my favorites when fresh, but one I avoid after 4-6 weeks from bottling.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Hazy honey color with a thick bubbly head and lots of streaming bubbles.

Aroma: Hops, citrus(grapefruit) and pinapple. Definately an IPA nose.

Taste: Wonderful balance of the hops and malt. Very well done.

Mouthfeel: Good bitterness makes this beer a great drink. Crisp, dry(but not too dry) and clean throughout.

Drinkability: Too bad this is a seasonal. I could easily maek this one of my house beers. Since it is only available for a short while, I will drink as much of this as I can get my hands on before it disappears.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz bottle given to me by rudge75. Thanks Dave! Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a murky straw colour, lighter than some IPA's, less coppery but tons of unfiltered goodness. 1 inch of head from a vigorous pour, medium-high carbonation. The head recedes to about 1/8th of an inch and sticks around, leaves a bit of sticky lace. Aroma is outstanding, Tropical fruit, pineapple, mandarin orange, grapefruit, pine, and a lovely floral sweetness as well. Malt shines through with a little caramel in the back and some fresh baking as well. Delicious!

Taste does not dissapoint in the least. Herbal hops dominate, aniseed, pine, citrus in smaller doses. The lovely part about all this is that this beer is extremely well-balanced. Lots of bready/biscuity malt that is almost cookie like at times, other typical baking flavours come through, a little vanilla, caramel, and even a bit of banana surprisingly. Grainy in the finish with lots of hop bitterness. Well-balanced which I appreciate so much in an IPA. Not as dry as a lot of IPA's I've had but I don't mind that, although the carbonation could be toned down a little. This is probably the most drinkable IPA I've had the pleasure of trying, the balance and the flavour is just outstanding, and I could session this all night long to be sure. GET ME MORE!

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

First, thanks to Feloniusmonk for hooking me up with this among several other Kalamazoo brews.
12 oz bottle with a fish on the label.
Pours a fairly clear (I've seen much clearer IPAs), light golden orange. At first glance I thought this was an odd color for an IPA, but the more I think about it the better it looks. THe head was nice and thick, leaving good lacing along the glass.
The smell is just fantastic. Piney, citrusy, and floral. The smell just screams IPA--Drink me!
The taste is mellow, very smooth, but you can certainly tell that this is no ordinary brew. Huge hops from beginning to end, there is some residual bitterness, but the sweetness from the malt undercuts it nicely without overpowering it.
There isn't much carbonation in this one, there is some but not enough to make it really pop for me.
I could see myself having more than one of these in a night and probably would if it were available around where I live. THis is a great IPA. I would very much like to have another...and another...and....

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Batch 7703, packaged on October 23, 2006. Big thanks go to Ego for the big score and letting some NJ BAs sample some of Bell's finest works.

Served in an imperial pint glass at just over fridge temperature.

Appearance- Pours a beautiful radiant gold... it doesn't quite know whether to go more towards yellow or red. There is a slight haze, and the head swells to three fingers of thickness. The crown settles to a fat cap of foam, leaving both sheets and spots of lacing behind.

Smell- Sweet, floral notes showcasing honey and ruby red grapefruit... the nose alone is thirst quenching, mingling with the cool air above the beer and waking the taste buds.

Taste- The success of this beer is its balance. The citrusy hop character surrounds the tongue and grips the mouth, while the malts set up their bready, clean finish. The ensuing burps are wonderfully fragrant, at least from my perspective. I get to smell them instantly!

Mouthfeel- I had to bump this number up to 5. While some IPAs begin their descent after decanting in a glass for a half-hour, this only gets smoother and more enjoyable. Slick and absolutely amazing... the carbonation *swooshes* in the mouth with grace and perfection.

Drinkability- With so many IPAs available in NJ (and more are coming), this would be a real gift to hopheads in our region. This beer has it all... and it makes me want to savor each sip. My glass is empty now, and my only want is to have another.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

On-tap at the Sharp Edge. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: A nice light amber color with an impossible-to-get-rid-of head that stuck to the sides all the way down the glass.

Smell: Wonderful, hoppy aroma. Citrusy to the max.

Taste: What you'd expect from an IPA - Hoppiness that smacks you in the face right away. However, this beer also excels on the malt side. This beer is probably the best "balanced" IPA I've had. High bitterness combined with a definite sweetness. What a great symphony of flavors!

Mouthfeel: Medium body. The great balance of all factors in this beer feel great in the mouth.

Drinkability: Probably one of the most drinkable IPA's out there, again because of the balance.

Wow. I had heard others mention how good this beer was and I was happy to finally try it. Now that I know where to find it, I may never leave!

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

pours a beautiful clear golden amber with a nice fluffy white head. good lacing.

this beer smells great a light floral hop aroma with, sort of a fruity (berry) scent behind it. backing notes of citrus, maybe pineapple.

citrus and fruity (berry again) up front, nice bitter hop finish with maybe some grapefruit. tastes very much like an ipa, a little more mellow than most but still assertive where it needs to be.

light and sort of creamy mouthfeel, there is some carbonation but it really only shows up at the end of your swallow.

this is an incredibly drinkable beer, for the flavor and abv its not heavy at all. and it just begs to be drank again (maybe that's me doing the begging?)

this has got to be one of my favorite normal (ie not imperial or doulble or any of that extra stuff) beers, can't get enough of it.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Nice clear darker yellow, kinda golden. With a nice crisp head.

S: Uber hops. Floral hops too; my favorite. A hint of malts.

T: Delicious. I can't get enough. Bought a case, and didn't even last a week. It's been 90 degrees and hotter, so this has hit the spot for me.

M: Creamy smooth, and nice and chewy.

D: I don't know if I should admit this, but I have been drinking these straight out of the bottle and I love it.

My newest session beer, thank you.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Nice copper color, two finger head, can really see the hops and malt.

S - Unreal smell out of the bottle, the pour just adds to it. Strong IPA aroma with a hint of citrus.

T - Really gets the tastes buds going. This is one of if not the best tasting American IPA out there.

M - Bittersweet and will make your jaws clinch ever so slightly with a smooth finish.

D - Goes down nice and easy. Putting away six would be a lot of fun.

Thanks to my cousin in Madison, WI for finally giving me chance to taste this awesome craft!

12 oz bottle

Appearance: Cloudy medium golden straw color. Medium white head with mild lacing.

Aroma: Aroma is simply amazing from this beer. Huge hoppy nose. Sweet and resiny. Floral and citrus notes. Very slight alcohol nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Slightly sweet at start to a huge hop presence. Awesome resiny, citrusy complex hop profile. Fades quite fast with a clean finish. Medium body.

Drinkability: Top 3 on my list of IPAs, and definitely the most drinkable. Was surprised to find it was only 6% ABV, felt stronger than that. Unfortunately only got 6 oz of this beer, but looking forward to our next encounter....

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks again to BucketBoy for this gem! Pours a beautiful murky, golden/orange color with a gorgeous white head on it. Very nice lacing as well. The smell is SO fruity! I get delicious, real fruit juice, fruit snacks. Not the cheap ones either, the ones made with real fruit, that are impossible to stop eating. Never gotten this scent from an IPA before. I love it! Initially, I get that amazing fruit snack taste. Not the typical citrus tastes you get from an IPA...I'm getting the citrus along with berry flavor. I'm picking up boysenberries and raspberries too. Very interesting and delicious. I can't get over this flavor. A little melon lingers in the aftertaste. The hop flavorings and bitterness are not much different than HopSlam (HopSlam is just this on Steroids with honey). This mouthfeel is nothing less than perfect. Great drinkability...I hate (ABSOLUTELY HATE!!!) that I can't get this here in California!

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a hazy orange, with a touch of copper. Nice medium head, creamy white with some good lacing.

Aroma is floral and citrusy. A bright and lively hop nose: just what I want in an IPA.

Flavor is similar to aroma. Lots of hop flavor, and pretty dry as well. Although the malt profile is dry, there is a huge juiciness from the hops in Two-Hearted: lots of peach and apricot, to me at least. This is a West-coast IPA for sure, but with a different flair than some of the old standbys. Unique. Malt backbone is medium. A much lighter-bodied IPA than I was expecting, but still solid. Extremely refreshing and drinkable, even at 7 percent.

This is already a well-recognized IPA, and I'm just confirming its greatness. Delicious.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

This is personally for me one of the stand out IPA's in the world and i'm a huge fan of IPA's. I often underrate them because I simply expect way too much, so I'll try to be fair.

Every part of this beer just works together in a rather amazing way. It's beautiful to look at, the carbonation which gives it an amazing lacing and solid head then goes on to give it a wonderful carbonated mouth feel. The aroma is powerful and quit nice. Lots of citrus grape fruit. The taste is up there with the best, I could go for a bit more hops and a touch less malt but more of preference than a flaw. Finally, this is a beer I want to session..you know till I realize that is actually does contain alcohol...a good bit as a matter of fact.

The best IPA out there? I'm not going that far but of the ones I can easily get it's in the to 3.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.